or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Tsunami - the politics
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tsunami - the politics

post #1 of 48
Thread Starter 
Private Message from Scott
-------------------------------
Since your post closed the thread.

Quote:
originally posted by Me!

I just wondered what the 'Scott' spin would be on the US forming a new coallition for aid relief outside the UN body, thus potentially making the job twice as hard to co-ordinate, plan and operate, and possibly cause the deaths of more people than necessary.

Quote:
originally PM'ed by Scott
Since you're so smart tell me what % of money that goes through the UN intended for helping people actually gets to them. If you can ever come up with a number don't let your outrage make you turn your back on your beloved bureaucracy.

well, I'd like to know.
post #2 of 48
I doubt you'll be able to find out. There are many relief agencies that are much more transparent than the UN.
post #3 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
I doubt you'll be able to find out. There's many relief agencies that are much more transparent than the UN.

so you have no actual evidence to substantiate your claim. OK, I'll put this one down to 'Scott' talking outta his ass.

Again.
post #4 of 48
Just following your lead.
post #5 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
Just following your lead.

would you like to comment on and disguss the issues I raised in my original post?
post #6 of 48
I did.
post #7 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
I did.

so you have no actual evidence to substantiate your claim. OK, I'll put this one down to 'Scott' talking outta his ass.

Again.


[i think this could be a rather pointless circular argument]
post #8 of 48
You seems to be closed in this box where any and all action can only come exclusively from the UN.
post #9 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
You seems to be closed in this box where any and all action can only come exclusively from the UN.

well no, im wondering about the sensibilities of having two major organizations tripping over themselves trying to achieve the same goal. People's lives are at stake here.
post #10 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by MarcUK
well no, im wondering about the sensibilities of having two major organizations tripping over themselves trying to achieve the same goal. People's lives are at stake here.

What's strange. I was just wondering about the sensibility of having a large, secret and over wrought bureaucracy be in control of every aspect of a relief effort of global proportions.


Maybe all the sundry aid agencies should stop until they get directions from the UN? We wouldn't want any tripping?
post #11 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
What's strange. I was just wondering about the sensibility of having a large, secret and over wrought bureaucracy be in control of every aspect of a relief effort of global proportions.


Maybe all the sundry aid agencies should stop until they get directions from the UN? We wouldn't want any tripping?

You know, I'd agree on the first part. But perhaps you'd like to convince me that this week was "the absolutely best time" to do anything about it.
post #12 of 48
MarcUK...I'm wondering what you're on about?

Quote:
well no, im wondering about the sensibilities of having two major organizations tripping over themselves trying to achieve the same goal. People's lives are at stake here

Sensibility:

1.Capacity to feel.

2. Openness to emotional impressions.

3. A tendency to feel offended.

If you have no need of the English language, perhaps we could have it back?

Words do not gain authoritas by extending them; sense would have been just fine.

Bored & pedantic...Happy New Year.
post #13 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Zarathustra
MarcUK...I'm wondering what you're on about?


Words do not gain authoritas by extending them; sense would have been just fine.

Bored & pedantic...Happy New Year.

hey me too!

http://dictionary.reference.com/sear...uthoritas&db=*

WTF ARE YOU ON ABOUT?
post #14 of 48
An aspect of the tsunami that is most troubling, but has had virtually no coverage in our liberal media:

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Hawaii, a part of NOAA, picked up the impending disaster hours before the waves struck the shores of some 12 countries lining the Indian Ocean. As a result, the U.S. Navy Support facility at Diego Garcia Island in the South Indian Ocean received a timely advance warning from NOAA. Fortunately, as it turned out, the base was virtually undamaged and nobody was killed or hurt. But (wrongly), NOAA did nothing to issue a warning to the civilian inhabitants, or the national and local government officials of the countries which were in the direct path of the tsunami. They never even bothered to pick up the phone or send emails. Why is that? A timely warning might have saved tens of thousands of lives.

"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
post #15 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by sammi jo
An aspect of the tsunami that is most troubling, but has had virtually no coverage in our liberal media:

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Hawaii, a part of NOAA, picked up the impending disaster hours before the waves struck the shores of some 12 countries lining the Indian Ocean. As a result, the U.S. Navy Support facility at Diego Garcia Island in the South Indian Ocean received a timely advance warning from NOAA. Fortunately, as it turned out, the base was virtually undamaged and nobody was killed or hurt. But (wrongly), NOAA did nothing to issue a warning to the civilian inhabitants, or the national and local government officials of the countries which were in the direct path of the tsunami. They never even bothered to pick up the phone or send emails. Why is that? A timely warning might have saved tens of thousands of lives.



No need to alarm the holiday makers. How bad can a 10 meter wave be? \
post #16 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by jwri004
No need to alarm the holiday makers. How bad can a 10 meter wave be? \

US officials from both NOAA and the military knew of the impending disaster within 15 minutes of the earthquake. But according to Charles McCreery, Director of NOAA...quote:

"We don't have contacts in our address book for anybody in that part of the world."

"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
post #17 of 48
Blame is not going to solve the crisis that is happening at the moment. I am quite sure in the future that more cooperation will occur.
post #18 of 48
It looks as if U.S. government "aid" approved by the Bush Administration "for the tsunami victims" has a ulterior motive. Long detailed article:

http://www.globalresearch.ca/articles/CHO412C.html

extract:

Quote:
Why is the US military Calling the Shots on Humanitarian Relief?

Why in the wake of the disaster, is the US military (rather than civilian humanitarian/aid organizations operating under UN auspices) taking a lead role?_

The US Pacific Command has been designated to coordinate the channeling of emergency relief? Marine Corps Lt. Gen. Rusty Blackman, commander of the 3rd Marine Expeditionary Force based in Okinawa, has been designated to lead the emergency relief program. _

Lieutenant General Blackman was previously Chief of Staff for Coalition Forces Land Component Command, responsible for leading the Marines into Baghdad during "Operation Iraqi Freedom."_

Three "Marine disaster relief assessment teams" under Blackman's command have been sent to Thailand, Sri Lanka and Indonesia.

US_ military aircraft are conducting observation missions.

In a bitter irony, part of this operation is being coordinated out of America's Naval base in Diego Garcia, which was not struck by the tidal wave. Meanwhile, "USS Abraham Lincoln carrier strike group, which was in Hong Kong when the earthquake and tsunamis struck, has been diverted to the Gulf of Thailand to support recovery operations" (Press Conference of Pacific Command,_ http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Dec2...004122905.html ).

Two Aircraft Carriers have been sent to the region.

Why is it necessary for the US to mobilize so much military equipment? The pattern is unprecedented:_


Conway said the Lincoln carrier strike group has 12 helicopters embarked that he said could be "extremely valuable" in recovery missions.

An additional 25 helicopters are aboard USS Bonhomme Richard, headed to the Bay of Bengal. Conway said the expeditionary strike group was in Guam and is forgoing port visits in Guam and Singapore and expects to arrive in the Bay of Bengal by Jan. 7.

Conway said the strike group, with its seven ships, 2,100 Marines and 1,400 sailors aboard, also has four Cobra helicopters that will be instrumented in reconnaissance efforts.

Because fresh water is one of the greatest needs in the region, Fargo has ordered seven ships each capable of producing 90,000 gallons of fresh water a day to the region. Conway said five of these ships are pre-positioned in Guam and two will come from Diego Garcia.

A field hospital ship pre-positioned in Guam would also be ordered to the region, depending on findings of the disaster relief assessment teams and need, Conway said. (Ibid)

Why has a senior commander involved in the invasion of Iraq been assigned to lead the US emergency relief program?
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
post #19 of 48
Oh good grief. The conspiracy mongers truly have no limits.

Everyone - on all sides - agrees that there was no Tsunami warning system in effect.

Such a warning system has proper protocols, such as who to inform, and a chain of command in case of emergency. You just don't post "big Tsunami coming" on a website.

That's what the guy meant when he said he didn't have the "contacts in his address book."

And until someone shows me what another motive could be for a sudden military buildup in disaster stricken parts of Southeast Asia, I'll assume that qualified military officers have been asked to help co-ordinate a worldwide rescue effort. Like everyone else knows.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #20 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank777
Oh good grief. The conspiracy mongers truly have no limits.

Everyone - on all sides - agrees that there was no Tsunami warning system in effect.

Such a warning system has proper protocols, such as who to inform, and a chain of command in case of emergency. You just don't post "big Tsunami coming" on a website.

That's what the guy meant when he said he didn't have the "contacts in his address book."

And until someone shows me what another motive could be for a sudden military buildup in disaster stricken parts of Southeast Asia, I'll assume that qualified military officers have been asked to help co-ordinate a worldwide rescue effort. Like everyone else knows.

Yeah, right. And if you want some weapons of mass destruction to buy....
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
post #21 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank777
...

And until someone shows me what another motive could be for a sudden military buildup in disaster stricken parts of Southeast Asia, I'll assume that qualified military officers have been asked to help co-ordinate a worldwide rescue effort. Like everyone else knows.


The motive is to kill muslims to glorify the one and only Christen God. Duh?
post #22 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
The motive is to kill muslims to glorify the one and only Christen God. Duh?

The tsunami disaster is the perfect cover that allows US troops and intelligence into a region that has 'many muslim fundamentalist groups and individuals with ties to terrorism', especially in Indonesia. If anyone honestly thinks that the Bush administration is going to pass up on such a perfect opportunity to consolidate it's military presence in the region, then you are beyond naive. Of course the US military presence will be seen on the surface to be providing aid, which naturally is an essential and visible P.R. ploy at a time we are so badly in need of furthering international relations.....but the 'relief and aid' side of it this expense is absolutely NOT the primary reason for the effort.

Get over it.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
post #23 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by sammi jo
The tsunami disaster is the perfect cover that allows US troops and intelligence into a region that has 'many muslim fundamentalist groups and individuals with ties to terrorism', especially in Indonesia. If anyone honestly thinks that the Bush administration is going to pass up on such a perfect opportunity to consolidate it's military presence in the region, then you are beyond naive. Of course the US military presence will be seen on the surface to be providing aid, which naturally is an essential and visible P.R. ploy at a time we are so badly in need of furthering international relations.....but the 'relief and aid' side of it this expense is absolutely NOT the primary reason for the effort.

Get over it.

The US doesn't do enough....
The US does enough, but with ulterior motives.

The hell with it. Tell the planes to turn around.

Aries 1B
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
Reply
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
Reply
post #24 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by sammi jo
An aspect of the tsunami that is most troubling, but has had virtually no coverage in our liberal media:

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Hawaii, a part of NOAA, picked up the impending disaster hours before the waves struck the shores of some 12 countries lining the Indian Ocean. As a result, the U.S. Navy Support facility at Diego Garcia Island in the South Indian Ocean received a timely advance warning from NOAA. Fortunately, as it turned out, the base was virtually undamaged and nobody was killed or hurt. But (wrongly), NOAA did nothing to issue a warning to the civilian inhabitants, or the national and local government officials of the countries which were in the direct path of the tsunami. They never even bothered to pick up the phone or send emails. Why is that? A timely warning might have saved tens of thousands of lives.


And risk offending the Third World by a paternalistic display of our technological prowess??? Are you mad?!

Aries 1B

(Just trying to conform to your world view)
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
Reply
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
Reply
post #25 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Aries 1B
And risk offending the Third World by a paternalistic display of our technological prowess??? Are you mad?!

As if the 'third world [sic] isn't abundantly aware of our 'technological prowess'?? We trade with the entire region. We employ technology workers from the region in (ever larger) droves and the nations bordering the Indian Ocean are becoming less 'third world' by the day.

Do you think that NOAA, the State Dept. and the US military was correct in either their decision, or negligence, in failing to inform those countries about the unfolding disaster? Are you trying to say that it is right not to criticize our bureaucracies for not delivering the goods? Because of that failing, the 2 hours or so of possible/potential warning could have saved tens of thousands of peoples' lives.

"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
post #26 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by sammi jo
An aspect of the tsunami that is most troubling, but has had virtually no coverage in our liberal media:

blah blah blah SJO anti-american blather

Actually it was covered. I read all about it. Each earth quake has the possibility of creating a tsunami. They have separate sensors to detect the wave. Of course the Pacific monitoring can't tell if there is a wave in the Indian Ocean. Each country that is part of the Pacific effort has to designate a contact in their country that can take the call and have the ability to contact those people in their country that can take action to warn and protect the public. None of the countries in the indian ocean had provided that contact. So as we can see, when we remove our anti-american blinders, it's understandable that the people at the Pacific monitoring stations didn't know who to contact it the Indian Ocean. Of course they contacted the state department which contacted other countries but ...

BUT! SJO has a good anti-american yarn to spin. You may want to stop spreading your lies and hate long enough to think.


Oh and while I'm at it Giego Garcia is significantly father away from the origin of the wave then almost all of the other areas affected. By the time the wave got there it was greatly reduced in size. Duh?
post #27 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
Actually it was covered. I read all about it.

I doubt it, but whatever you say.

Quote:
Each earth quake has the possibility of creating a tsunami.

Not really. Quakes of <M6.0 are unlikely to generate tsunamis.But according to NOAA: "The Director of the Hawaii Warning Center stated that they did not know that the earthquake would generate a deadly seismic wave until it had hit Sri Lanka, more than one and a half hours later, at 2.30 GMT."

This was a M9.0, the 4th largest quake in 100 years, and the establishment with (supposedly) the expertise failed to put out a general warning in the Indian Ocean, despite having detected the massive quake at the time it happened.

Quote:
They have separate sensors to detect the wave. Of course the Pacific monitoring can't tell if there is a wave in the Indian Ocean.

Yes they can, and they did. NOAA is on the record of having detected a tsunami, but they dragged their heels, for reasons best known to them. The State Dept. was informed, but that is as far as the information went. Congress is now looking into this matter:

The US Congress is to investigate why the US government did not notify all the Indian Ocean nations in the affected area:

_"Only two countries in the affected region, Indonesia and Australia, received the warning.. Yet the tsunami took as long as two hours to reach some countries, and NOAA's critics say timely even unofficial warnings might have allowed people in coastal areas to flee."

Maine Senator Olympia Snowe is "exploring and looking into why NOAA was not able to provide this valuable, life-saving information to the 11 affected nations," (quoted in Boston Globe, 29 Dec 2004):


Quote:
Each country that is part of the Pacific effort has to designate a contact in their country that can take the call and have the ability to contact those people in their country that can take action to warn and protect the public. None of the countries in the indian ocean had provided that contact.

Did they get it? We are not dealing with information based on Ocean sensors: the emergency warning was transmitted in the immediate wake of the earthquake (based on seismic data)._ The earthquake took place at 00.58 GMT on the 26th of Dec. The report was transmitted to The State Department and the US Navy following the earthquake._

With modern communications, the information of an impending disaster could have been sent around the world in a matter of minutes, by email, by telephone, by fax, not to mention by live satellite television.

Quote:
Coastguards, municipalities, local governments, tourist hotels, etc. could have been warned. So as we can see, when we remove our anti-american blinders, it's understandable that the people at the Pacific monitoring stations didn't know who to contact it the Indian Ocean. Of course they contacted the state department which contacted other countries but ...

Are you saying that while the State Dept. knew what was going down, they failed to warn people because they didn't know who to contact in those countries? Are you say9ing that we have zero contact with the governments in so many nations in the region?

Quote:
BUT! SJO has a good anti-american yarn to spin. You may want to stop spreading your lies and hate long enough to think.

One of these days, Scott *may* realize that development and improvement comes with learning from mistakes and acting on them, rather than denying or ignoring them out of pride and arrogance and manitaining that status quo.

Quote:
Oh and while I'm at it Giego Garcia is significantly father away from the origin of the wave then almost all of the other areas affected. By the time the wave got there it was greatly reduced in size. Duh?

No, the seabed at Diego Garcia Island has a far steeper gradient than the gentle sloped beaches of the places severely affected. The tsunami was reduced in size of course due to distance, but had the shore been gently shelving, ot would have been a very different scenario.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
post #28 of 48
Ah SJO? So much hate and ignorance so few natural disasters.
post #29 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
Ah SJO? So much hate and ignorance so few natural disasters.

Don't forget Scott....many of the dead are Muslims. Does that make you feel better? Some are probably saying "thats >150,000 fewer potential terrorists"
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
post #30 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
Actually it was covered. I read all about it. Each earth quake has the possibility of creating a tsunami.


You are aware of the fact that earthquakes happen in places that do not have any access to a Sea, or any other type of body of water, right?
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
Reply
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
Reply
post #31 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Gene Clean
You are aware of the fact that earthquakes happen in places that do not have any access to a Sea, or any other type of body of water, right?

Huh?
post #32 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by sammi jo
As if the 'third world [sic] isn't abundantly aware of our 'technological prowess'?? We trade with the entire region. We employ technology workers from the region in (ever larger) droves and the nations bordering the Indian Ocean are becoming less 'third world' by the day.

Do you think that NOAA, the State Dept. and the US military was correct in either their decision, or negligence, in failing to inform those countries about the unfolding disaster? Are you trying to say that it is right not to criticize our bureaucracies for not delivering the goods? Because of that failing, the 2 hours or so of possible/potential warning could have saved tens of thousands of peoples' lives.


What would The Fellow Travelers have had the US Government do? Stage a quick strike on each country's broadcast system and therefrom generate an emergency warning signal? That would have driven all of The Fellow Travelers mad. The Main Stream Media investigations into 'unwarranted interference in the domestic affairs of all of those countries' would have lasted for years. The Fellow Travelers would have been grinding their teeth at yet another example of American Imperialism. Perhaps that lost opportunity is the source of so much angst.

Each of those countries has a sovereign government. If you wish to place blame (and I sense rather a desperation to fix blame), I'd suggest that you email the embassies of each of the tsunami-ed nations and find out why they were so woefully unprepared for this catastrophe.


Aries 1B
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
Reply
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
Reply
post #33 of 48
Yesterday I was making hamburgers with fries. I had the deep fryer, the grill in the oven and the toaster going at the same time. Suddenly the fuse blew. Being 20 years old the electric system wasn´t build to service three pieces of high voltage kitchen equipment. I´m sure there is a conspiracy behind it.

There wasn´t a tsunami warning system in place. Perhaps if those who had the information had been imaginative enough some individuals making the right phone calls could have saved some human lives (but probably mostly tourists and not among the local population). The creative powers that saved the Apollo 13 astronauts is not something we can expect from individuals but something we in some cases are lucky to have.

The DoD have plans for most everything, probably including invading Denmark if marsians should seize power here. What the tsunami hopefully have thought us is to think the impossible and make plans for it, not just when it includes invading armies.
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
post #34 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Aries 1B
What would The Fellow Travelers have had the US Government do? Stage a quick strike on each country's broadcast system and therefrom generate an emergency warning signal? That would have driven all of The Fellow Travelers mad. The Main Stream Media investigations into 'unwarranted interference in the domestic affairs of all of those countries' would have lasted for years. The Fellow Travelers would have been grinding their teeth at yet another example of American Imperialism. Perhaps that lost opportunity is the source of so much angst.

Each of those countries has a sovereign government. If you wish to place blame (and I sense rather a desperation to fix blame), I'd suggest that you email the embassies of each of the tsunami-ed nations and find out why they were so woefully unprepared for this catastrophe.


Aries 1B

No, a phone call, ( or fax message, email, or satellite radio broadcast etc. etc) from the State Dept. to the relevant Government departments of each nation that was in potential danger would have sufficed. From then on in, it would be their responsibilities to initiate communications with their police forces and other emergency and aid services to warn and issue the relevant instructions to the local populations threatened. These countries may not be quite so developed (sic) as the U.S. and most Western European nations, but they are far from being true '3rd World" and they do have police forces and emergency services, with radio, email, telephone and fax communications.

Those phone calls which could have saved countless lives were not sent, and their emergency services knew next to nothing until the waves started crashing ashore. I guess the State Dept. had more important business to deal with. This disaster happened in the daytime,local time. People were *awake*: just two minutes warning would have saved many, 10 minutes' warning could have saved most.

Such is...whatever.

"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
post #35 of 48
As usual, hindsight is 20/20.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #36 of 48
linky linky

Quote:
Phone call saved an entire village

by Paul Smith
_
People in an Indian village were saved from death in the tsunami by a phone call from Singapore.

Nallavadu, in the Union Territory of Pondicherry near Chennai, escaped the loss of its population by the quick thinking of a former resident, The Hindu newspaper reported.

The village is part of a project run by the MS Swaminathan Research Foundation and one of the foundation's former volunteers now works in Singapore._

The volunteer - identified by The Hindu's website as Vijayakumar -_saw a tsunami warning in Singapore and immediately phoned the village's research centre, setting off a local alert.

A warning was repeatedly announced over the village's public address system and a siren sounded allowing people time to move away from the danger area before the waves hit.

As a result, not one of Nallavadu's 3,600 residents was killed while the surrounding area suffered massive loss of life.
post #37 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
Yesterday I was making hamburgers with fries. I had the deep fryer, the grill in the oven and the toaster going at the same time. Suddenly the fuse blew. Being 20 years old the electric system wasn´t build to service three pieces of high voltage kitchen equipment. I´m sure there is a conspiracy behind it.

There wasn´t a tsunami warning system in place. Perhaps if those who had the information had been imaginative enough some individuals making the right phone calls could have saved some human lives (but probably mostly tourists and not among the local population). The creative powers that saved the Apollo 13 astronauts is not something we can expect from individuals but something we in some cases are lucky to have.

The DoD have plans for most everything, probably including invading Denmark if marsians should seize power here. What the tsunami hopefully have thought us is to think the impossible and make plans for it, not just when it includes invading armies.

A fair and balanced observation.

This hasn't happened since the 1960s or so (I think the coasts of Japan and Alaska were hammered if memory serves.) SJO's anger at this catastrophe (completely understandable) is shared by the entire world. I think that we should look at this whole ghastly event as a warning. It will happen again. We need to wire the oceans so that warning (if possible) can be generated. And while we're at it, the skies can offer up the same sort of event, only worse (meteors).

Aries 1B

PS: The island of Diego Garcia is a coral reef perched on the top of a volcano. Evidently the wave didn't have time to crest/break/whatever.
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
Reply
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
Reply
post #38 of 48
Sammy Jo, I have called a doctor in to observe. He informed me that you are a textbook mental case.

I wondered quietly to myself when someone would try to place blame on the US. The very insane idea that you have predictably latched onto came to mind.

Congrats, my loony friend, you have proven to the world that even the craziest of ideas are welcome in the mind of a liberal.

You win the Golden Coo-Coo Award.

Speech! Speech!
post #39 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
Huh?

I'm saying, tsunamis happen because there are very powerful waves created by the earthquake(s), which in turn, hit the shore with devastating power.

Some countries do not have access to a sea or ocean, and are not located anywhere near them, so they are not in the risk of being hit by tsunamis. You said a tsunami might happen anywhere, but I'm telling you not exactly anywhere; the Royal Family of Saudi Arabia will not be worrying about tsunamis anytime soon for example.

Hope this time you get it.
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
Reply
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
Reply
post #40 of 48
What are you going to tell me next? Elephants can't live at the bottom of the ocean! OUTRAGEOUS!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Tsunami - the politics