or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › OH GOD!!!!! [iWalk]

OH GOD!!!!! [iWalk] - Page 4

post #121 of 588
I emailed it to quite a few people including Nick who can probably put it on MacNN's server for a lot of people to access it.

I hate to be proven wrong, but it looks real to me.
post #122 of 588
I've never played with a Newton myself, so maybe, like Macintosh said, that's what it is...
post #123 of 588
here's another geocities site i created:

<a href="http://us.share.geocities.com/coldsteelblue/sayhello.mov" target="_blank">http://us.share.geocities.com/coldsteelblue/sayhello.mov</a>

fire away, until it's used up.

SdC
My signature irritates people. However, my cat can still jump a watermelon, and the Apollo is the next chip coming to the Powermac line. Although, at this point, I'd believe that Cyrix is the next...
My signature irritates people. However, my cat can still jump a watermelon, and the Apollo is the next chip coming to the Powermac line. Although, at this point, I'd believe that Cyrix is the next...
post #124 of 588
It is very newton like. Not enough is shown here to convince me that it is real. Guilty until prooven innocent!
post #125 of 588
[quote]Originally posted by Cobra:
<strong>4 Days until Macworld San Francisco.

"It ain't the iWalk guys. Nice try though."
</strong><hr></blockquote>

Or something cryptic like "You would walk? I'd run." [edit: or "Don't walk. Run."]
I just don't see a PDAesque device being a major hit, unless it has some really advanced features, though.

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: whee ]</p>
post #126 of 588
It's a helluva lot faster and better than my MP120
I build things, I break things, I catch things on fire. I love my job.
I build things, I break things, I catch things on fire. I love my job.
post #127 of 588
Think different. But still think.
Think different. But still think.
post #128 of 588
Mike XS, you should have it now.

SdC
post #129 of 588
Looks really real but...

-It looks very much like a newt with a white bagground (I got a 2000 and a 2100)
-The plastic thingy gets in the way. they wouldn´t make that mistake.
-The pen is the original 2000 pen painted white. Sorry they would have made something different
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #130 of 588
Ok, last one:

<a href="http://us.share.geocities.com/suckfuldotcom/sayhello.mov" target="_blank">http://us.share.geocities.com/suckfuldotcom/sayhello.mov</a>

Burn it up, kids!

SdC
post #131 of 588
hmm... mebbe this bit from mosr.com is related:

[quote]I received my MWSF 2002 badge today, and included in the envelope was a brochure ad from MacDirectory magazine. ÊIn addition to photos of glamorous people carrying Apple products, and some gratuitous cleavage, the front of the ad shows a picture of an LCD panel with an Apple logo in the graphite plastics and a stylus pen resting on top. ÊItÕs not an image of any released Appe product. ÊUsing the pen for scale, the screen seems to be considerably smaller than 12.1-inches, and adjacent to the screen is what looks like a hinged panel with a covered compartment, similar to the door that covers the controls on the front of a TV or monitor.<hr></blockquote>
post #132 of 588
I think they look real. But I do not think it is going to be releses. I think it might be a prototyp or really steve playing a joke on us. That thing looks pretty shity. no color LCD, and a ugly interface. and that pen is not apple. Apple would have a more stylish pen.
post #133 of 588
It looks kinda ok.. could be an older newt but is that some color up by the battery? Also video was made recently .. Dec 29/2001 10:51 am time read on the document...

Its hard for me to say since i never worked with a newton..

<a href="http://www.mikezornek.com/!sayhello.mov" target="_blank">http://www.mikezornek.com/!sayhello.mov</a>

I'll be happy to mirror other movies as they come out .. got bandwidth to kill on that site =) 6 gig per month
post #134 of 588
well the video LOOKS real but...

-that clear apple button thing looks fake/bad design/not the finished article??

-why the iPod as well as iWalk? surely iWalk can do (or could easily be made to do) everything that an iPod can (assuming it has a hard drive) - unless iWalk is alot more expensive than an iPod (and if it is, who will buy it?) why would you buy an iPod. More to the point, why would Apple go to the troble of all the marketing it has done on the iPod

-why has Steve Jobs been saying that PDAs are not compelling products, they're not much use, apple isn't going to do one etc etc? Surely saying that they're not that useful is very poor PR. Unless of course SJ will use RDF to tell us this is not a PDA...
post #135 of 588
Is it just me, or does the thing with the Apple logo on it look like the yo-yo power adapter?
post #136 of 588
Fake.

Got to give them credit though.

They did a pretty good job.

I somehow think this might not be the end of it either.

I think a PDA is just a flat out horrible idea.

Go play with your Palm Pilots and get over it.

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: Cobra ]</p>
post #137 of 588
2 thoughts, no make that 3
1. I thought you had to print for the Newton. The handwriting recognition looks pretty sweet for what I remember of the Newton
2. Quoted from SpyMac

iWalk developments (12/29/2001)

....Only SpyMac will bring you actual video footage of a working prototype, recorded by an exclusive SpyMac source during a brief secret meeting which took place earlier this week

THe date on the screen of the iWalk is 12/29/01 10:53 AM, unless "earlier this week" is the same day that doesn't add

3. I thought Steve was a vegetarian, would he go for a leather case?
"Moo" said the chicken
"Cluck" said the cow
Dr. Frankenstein rubbed his hands together with glee
"Moo" said the chicken
"Cluck" said the cow
Dr. Frankenstein rubbed his hands together with glee
post #138 of 588
has anyone checked if the name iWalk is trademarked? If it isn't, wouldn't that point to a fake? Because, Macworld is less than a week away, and they would have the name trademarked by now if it were legit. I'd check, but i don' t know the patent checker URL
post #139 of 588
Check morpheus under "sayhello"

I am jetpowers on morpheus.

SdC
post #140 of 588
So, here is the quick take.

There is obviously a real device in the video. The question is is it an Apple or not.

1. I think the design is too plain. compare it to an iPod. The iPod has more curves and a softer edge. Also, what is the purpose of that button at the bottom? It doesn't seem to be segmented like an iPod controller.

2. Can anyone identify the software? Is this Newton or other known software?

3. I agree with a previous poster (can't see the name as I type). If it was from Apple it should have a color screen.

4. Could be a prototype that escaped the Cupertino campus?
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
post #141 of 588
Take a look at the logo on this image. Was the logo on the newton rainbow or solid. Weren't macs from that time using the rainbow look?

<a href="http://www.zdnet.ru/zdreviews/images/Newton%20old1.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.zdnet.ru/zdreviews/images/Newton%20old1.jpg</a>
post #142 of 588
Tomato
You could write cursive with the Newton. My 2100 works great that way.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
post #143 of 588
We should work for the CIA

BTW the yoyo logo is much larger. The apple is of the size of that plastic knob in the film.
post #144 of 588
Someone said that the wheel gets in the way. True.

Someone said that it looks like a Newton with a cover, look at the shadow on top - would Apple put such a big gap between the case and the screen?

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: David R ]</p>
post #145 of 588
Well, if it is real, my MP2000 that I have been holding onto just became worthless. Up till now they have fetched ok prices on eBay, but if the iWalk is real, I should prolly post my MP now.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
post #146 of 588
Yoyo on the middle in the movie.

Funny game boy type controls on one side in the picture with the lid.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

iPad2 16 GB Wifi

post #147 of 588
Hrm. I think it is possible Apple made this fake to throw off the rumor sites. The video is very high quality and it looks like all of Apple's other semi-doctored product commercials. Also, that dude's handwriting is WAY to neat.
post #148 of 588
THE WHEEL has to be fake!
post #149 of 588
Arrow over to the last frame of the video before it goes to the black spymac logo. Look at the "shadow" between the "iwalk" and whatever the blotch on the right is... any idea what the deal is?

Also, in the lower left of the device, where the white and "tan" meet, there is sort of a blurred spot... i dunno, i'll withhold judgement
post #150 of 588
I am guessing this is fake, but, I would definately love to see a revolutionary PDA... Yumm....
1 Peter 1:6-7
Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz, 60gig hd, 1.25 gigs ram.

Powermac G4 "Sawtooth" 400 mhz, 80gig hd, 384mb of ram, Rage 128 Pro graphics.
1 Peter 1:6-7
Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz, 60gig hd, 1.25 gigs ram.

Powermac G4 "Sawtooth" 400 mhz, 80gig hd, 384mb of ram, Rage 128 Pro graphics.
post #151 of 588
Have you guys been able to figure out what all of those icons say at the bottom of the screen? The only one I can discern is calc, and I may be wrong about that.

Edit: Cards or Cardfile too.

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: TCO ]</p>
post #152 of 588
Not sure why you asked, but the Apple logos on ALL message Pads were rainbow colored.
c l o n e n o d e
o n e o f m a n y
c l o n e n o d e
o n e o f m a n y
post #153 of 588
it's totally fake. Don't watch it frame-by-frame, but watch it at full speed. Don't you see the words floating slightly differently than their physical surroundings?
caveat lector.
caveat lector.
post #154 of 588
<a href="http://www.interfacestudio.net/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.interfacestudio.net/index.html</a>

there is a mior of the page! We are working on filling in all the links. but some work so far to the movies and pics.

Wail you are there fell free to check out my new icon page <a href="http://www.interfacestudio.net/iCons" target="_blank">http://www.interfacestudio.net/iCons</a>

Have fun!
post #155 of 588
Even if it is a fake I do have to thank the authors for giving us something to burn bandwidth over.
post #156 of 588
4 days to MWSF
No it isn´t the iWalk. Fooled you.

Expensive fooling but I wouldn´t mind
post #157 of 588
what is cool is that the screen is white. 2100's were slight green cast. This is more like a pocket pc.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

iPad2 16 GB Wifi

post #158 of 588
It MAYBE an old prototype.
post #159 of 588
[quote]Originally posted by neutrino23:
<strong>Even if it is a fake I do have to thank the authors for giving us something to burn bandwidth over. </strong><hr></blockquote>

amen to that. This is a blast. I should be sleeping.

Well, maybe next week...
caveat lector.
caveat lector.
post #160 of 588
Anders
You are fast! LOL!
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › OH GOD!!!!! [iWalk]