or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › GOP Ethics

GOP Ethics

post #1 of 37
The GOP garnered control of the House in large part by running against corrupt Democrats. As part of their reforms, Gingrich implemented a series of ethical guidelines.

Now, entrenched, fat, and corrupt, the House GOP is moving to eliminate ethical guidelines:

Quote:
The proposal being circulated among House Republicans would end a general rule against any behavior that might bring "discredit" on the chamber, according to House Republican and Democratic leadership aides. House members would be held to a narrower standard of behavior in keeping with the law, the House's rules and its ethics guidelines.

Other proposed changes to the ethics committee's rules being circulated in a "Dear Colleague" letter from House Rules Chairman David Dreier, R-Calif., would let House members respond to any admonishment before a letter goes out from the committee, and would end an investigation if there is a tie vote.

House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., plans to bring the proposal before a meeting of all House Republicans next week "and see what they think," said Hastert spokesman John Feehery.

Dems should put up a fight, make noise, and then make this one of the top three issues in 2006. Heck, they should take the image above, taken from a Kagro X diary, and print it up in yellow card stock to pass around.

Reform is always popular, and it's time Democrats assume the mantle. The House needs some fumigation, and the breathtaking arrogance of Hastert and DeLay should provide plenty of ammunition.

Quote:
In the DeLay case, the committee said he had created the appearance of linking political donations to a legislative favor and improperly gained intervention of the Federal Aviation Administration in a Texas political dispute. It also said DeLay had improperly offered support for the House candidacy of Michigan Republican Rep. Nick Smith's son in return for the lawmaker's vote for a Medicare prescription drug benefit. Smith voted against it.

After helping craft that admonishment, the committee's chairman, Rep. Joel Hefley (news, bio, voting record), R-Colo., may be replaced with another chairman by Hastert. Feehery said that is being considered because Hastert believes rules limit Hefley's tenure on the commission, not because of his leadership on the DeLay case.

History proves that any party that dominates the system for long falls into the corruption trap. Time to put the GOP in the crosshairs of a clean-government campaign. And Kagro X has the blueprint for the first salvo: actual legislation using language taken from House Republicans publicly repudiating their leadership's abandonment of ethics to their hometown newspapers.

DailyKos [Unintentional cribbing...the mods will protest that I have a history of providing the source...also the image is linked to my site, not Kos to avoid hot-linking]
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #2 of 37
GOP. Ethics.

Wow, I've never seen those words in the same sentence before.
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
post #3 of 37
Northgate, I concur with you on a lot of things you bring up here, but what's the point of just typing up a dailykos.com article verbatim as if it were your own? Don't you have any personal comments you'd like to add? Might as well just post a url to the link or put quote tags around the whole thing.
post #4 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by bborofka
Northgate, I concur with you on a lot of things you bring up here, but what's the point of just typing up a dailykos.com article verbatim as if it were your own? Don't you have any personal comments you'd like to add? Might as well just post a url to the link or put quote tags around the whole thing.

Actually this needs to be brought to the public's attention. He did quote the article and made reference to that. Some of it is his own. So what's wrong?
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #5 of 37
This is disgusting as well as completely uninteresting to the public at large.

Ethics are for queers and Frenchies.
proud resident of a failed state
proud resident of a failed state
post #6 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by johnq
GOP. Ethics.

Wow, I've never seen those words in the same sentence before.

Except with the phrase "lack thereof" included.
post #7 of 37
You guys here are hilarous, hypocrits.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #8 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by trumptman
You guys here are hilarous, hypocrits.

Nick

Is the best you can do to Misspell hypocrites?

Like I said you must be running out of arguments. When the arguments are an excuse that usually happens. Not surprising. Where as all we have to do is keep pointing out the glaring, unethical, misdeeds!
post #9 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by jimmac
Is the best you can do to Misspell hypocrites?

Like I said you must be running out of arguments. When the arguments are an excuse that usually happens. Not surprising. Where as all we have to do is keep pointing out the glaring, unethical, misdeeds!

Darn missing "E"

Who's running out of arguments? There is a large number of both U.S. funds and U.S. equipment being used for this humanitarian operation. Many other countries including France for example pledged initial amounts of money, saw the greater need and then upped their donations to appropriate amounts. Of course you don't have a bone to pick with them so raising their donation amounts isn't proof of some character flaw.

Others have pointed out the nonsensical reasoning you put forward. Bush has for example proposed pooling resources with several other countries. In that instance his leadership is now being seen as an attempt to sidestep the U.N.

So if he gives more than anyone else initially he is screwed. If he ups the amount even more he is screwed. If he leads from the front he is working against the U.N. if he leads from the side he is "taking a vacation and not taking this seriously."

There is no pleasing folks like yourself so why try? I mean the money and equipment are there. Everyone else will treat your rantings like the nonsense they happen to be.

Nick

post #10 of 37
The US is now the second largest donor. I am glad Bush owned up to the responsibility the US shares with the other wealthy countries in the world. What is clear however, is that nowhere was there indicated an intension to increase above the initial pledge. What is also clear is that in the initial hours after the disaster more than 30 million dollars was needed from the US -- but all has been more or less righted. The losses that resulted because of the delay will never be known and perhaps that is why it is so easy to sit back and take time when there is no time to spare.

But progress is being made...
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #11 of 37
My local republican guys scare me, but I think it's the same for the other sides as well -- local pecking orders, favors, payoff jobs are just the way things are done. Not just in America, it is the way that political animals operate PERIOD.

Look back at Saul in the OT, and look how Tolkien portrayed the "Ring of Power". In either case IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO GIVE HUMANS THAT SORT OF AUTHORITY AND NOT MAKE THEM CASULTIES OF THEIR OWN, FUCKED UP, NATURES.

Hell, look at "grandfatherly" Koffi Annon, just as corrupt and defensive of his little fiefdom as the worst bribe-taking two-bit politian, or corrupt cop. Every once in a couple hundred years you find a George Washington type, who did remarkably well at resisting the evil of his position, but time after time, after time, after time it corrupts and damages the men who have achieved those positions of power.

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

post #12 of 37
Quote:
Actually this needs to be brought to the public's attention. He did quote the article and made reference to that. Some of it is his own. So what's wrong?

I fail to see where he quoted the article or wrote a word of his own.
post #13 of 37
Quote:
Darn missing "E"

Who's running out of arguments? There is a large number of both U.S. funds and U.S. equipment being used for this humanitarian operation. Many other countries including France for example pledged initial amounts of money, saw the greater need and then upped their donations to appropriate amounts. Of course you don't have a bone to pick with them so raising their donation amounts isn't proof of some character flaw.

Others have pointed out the nonsensical reasoning you put forward. Bush has for example proposed pooling resources with several other countries. In that instance his leadership is now being seen as an attempt to sidestep the U.N.

So if he gives more than anyone else initially he is screwed. If he ups the amount even more he is screwed. If he leads from the front he is working against the U.N. if he leads from the side he is "taking a vacation and not taking this seriously."

There is no pleasing folks like yourself so why try? I mean the money and equipment are there. Everyone else will treat your rantings like the nonsense they happen to be.

Nick

" Others have pointed out the nonsensical reasoning you put forward. "

You mean SDW, NaplesX, and Common Man?

You're in really good company with those guys ( assuming there really are 3 of them ).

As for the rest of this nonargument : I really don't care if he's taking a vacation. Lots of professionals take a break from their vacation if there's an emergency.

As for the rest : With the president " The buck stops here ".

Quit spinning and quit making excuses Trumpy.
post #14 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by bborofka
I fail to see where he quoted the article or wrote a word of his own.

My mistake. I've rectified the problem. Enough. The mods know who I am and I alway create thought provoking, articles, and provide the link to the originator. I messed up this time. Get over it.
post #15 of 37
My favorite part is how modification of ethical guidelines is now elimination of ethical guidelines.

Isn't that just wonderfully sound reasoning.

"Hey let's modify the sentencing from drug use from 10 years to 2 years of imprisonment."

"Dude, you just eliminated all drug laws."

I wonder what Kos is smoking. He makes as much sense as that magical third recount in Washington state.

Nick

post #16 of 37
Quote:
" Others have pointed out the nonsensical reasoning you put forward. "

You mean SDW, NaplesX, and Common Man?

You're in really good company with those guys ( assuming there really are 3 of them ).

As for the rest of this nonargument : I really don't care if he's taking a vacation. Lots of professionals take a break from their vacation if there's an emergency.

As for the rest : With the president " The buck stops here ".

Quit spinning and quit making excuses Trumpy.

Yep, and some of us consider daily briefings, satellite meetings with advisors, holding press conferences behind the presidential seal and sending off aid, ships, and the secretary of state to be "taking a break from your vacation" as well.

Too bad you don't.

Nick

post #17 of 37
Quote:
Yep, and some of us consider daily briefings, satellite meetings with advisors, holding press conferences behind the presidential seal and sending off aid, ships, and the secretary of state to be "taking a break from your vacation" as well.

Too bad you don't.

Nick

Yeah, too bad it was after the fact .
post #18 of 37
Quote:
Yeah, too bad it was after the fact .

You'd prefer he'd done it BEFORE the earthquake?

The guy may be a Born Again Christian and all that, but I doubt the Almighty gives him advance notice of Tsunamis emerging in Asia.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #19 of 37
Quote:
My favorite part is how modification of ethical guidelines is now elimination of ethical guidelines.

Isn't that just wonderfully sound reasoning.

"Hey let's modify the sentencing from drug use from 10 years to 2 years of imprisonment."

"Dude, you just eliminated all drug laws."

I wonder what Kos is smoking. He makes as much sense as that magical third recount in Washington state.

Nick

I find it difficult to believe you're defending the GOP changing the rules they put in place so they can save DeLay. I thought hypocrisy was your hobby horse, Nick. And no, I'm not joking. I'm honestly surprised that you're defending this.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #20 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank777
You'd prefer he'd done it BEFORE the earthquake?

The guy may be a Born Again Christian and all that, but I doubt the Almighty gives him advance notice of Tsunamis emerging in Asia.

You know what I mean. He didn't start to really do something until other's were complaining.
post #21 of 37
FYI: the Democratic party has no requirements that a congressman if indicted must step down!!!!!!!
post #22 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
I find it difficult to believe you're defending the GOP changing the rules they put in place so they can save DeLay. I thought hypocrisy was your hobby horse, Nick. And no, I'm not joking. I'm honestly surprised that you're defending this.

I've not defended the actual changes themselves as good or bad. We are welcome to discuss the nitty, gritty as it were. I simply brought up that modification of an ethics rule is not the same as the elimination of all ethics rules which is what Kos stated.

A great example of this is the 527's from the last election. I considered them effectively slush funds because one or two guys would write a very large check and then they would donate that money back and forth to each other. It is probably that the FEC will rule that they must establish PAC's with hard money limits for donation. That is a change, not an elimination. Any attempt to portray it as elimination is intellectually dishonest for example.

Now these changes are portrayed as protecting Delay. That isn't intellectually honest either. Delay has been before the ethics committee already and was admonished three times last year. I'm not aware of any new issues he has before the committee, are you?

I looked up the three listed changes that have likely been politically "floated." They were as follows:

Quote:
Exempting lawmakers from the standard that a member should "conduct himself at all times in a manner that shall reflect creditably on the House," so long as the lawmaker has otherwise followed "applicable laws, regulations, and rules."

Ending an investigation if there is a tie vote. (The House ethics committee is evenly divided between Democrats and Republicans.)

Allowing a member to respond to an admonishment before it is made public.

We could argue the first one, but what would be the point really? No law is broken and who's definition of "creditably" is going to be used in a highly partisan House?

I consider most of this falls election to not have been run creditably by the left. Does that mean they should have loads of ethics charges filed against them by my representative who likely feels the same way?

The third one seems very acceptable to me. Why should someone be smeared with charges before they are allowed to even respond?

The second one we could debate. Some part of me says that if something is honestly wrong that both parties would vote in favor of action. Another part of me is more cynical since most Democrats defended Clinton lying under oath and womanizing, and basically attempting to buy off Lewinsky via job offers and so forth.

Now you can tell me what you find wrong with those three.

Nick

post #23 of 37
Ten thousand words and yet not one critical of his own party's behavior. Dodge, weave, articulate, argue...but no personal opinion of whether DeLay is scumbag or not.
post #24 of 37
Quote:
...snip...

My understanding is that all of this talk about modifying the House ethics rules started when it became clear that DeLay would most likely be indicted. There is a rule, I believe, that either says or suggests that Reps must step down if they are indicted.

This is a very clear case of the GOP attempting to modify the ethics rules to allow one of their own to slip through while they would gladly use them to attack an asshole like Trafficant. It's a double-standard, Nick.
post #25 of 37
Quote:
I've not defended the actual changes themselves as good or bad. We are welcome to discuss the nitty, gritty as it were. I simply brought up that modification of an ethics rule is not the same as the elimination of all ethics rules which is what Kos stated.

That's a pretty damned narrow point. And if you look at what was posted, it doesn't say they're eliminating all ethics rules. And the fact is, they are eliminating one.
post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
That's a pretty damned narrow point. And if you look at what was posted, it doesn't say they're eliminating all ethics rules. And the fact is, they are eliminating one.

And that rule is the one that will particularly apply to Delay.
post #27 of 37
What if the Democrats tried changing the rules of impeachment in 1998?
post #28 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
My understanding is that all of this talk about modifying the House ethics rules started when it became clear that DeLay would most likely be indicted. There is a rule, I believe, that either says or suggests that Reps must step down if they are indicted.

This is a very clear case of the GOP attempting to modify the ethics rules to allow one of their own to slip through while they would gladly use them to attack an asshole like Trafficant. It's a double-standard, Nick.

That particular rule relates exclusively to Republican caucus and their rules for their own leadership. It has nothing to do with the House of Reps Ethics rules. I quoted the three that are under consideration for change. If you have found another rule that relates specifically to the actual house as opposed to the actual parties, you are welcome to bring it up.

I think you've gotten a bit ahead of yourself here Mid. You are letting people with an agenda cloud the difference between party caucus and the actual House of Reps.

Nick

post #29 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell

This was the contention from Northgate to which I was replying...

Quote:
Now, entrenched, fat, and corrupt, the House GOP is moving to eliminate ethical guidelines:

That is indeed plural and doesn't describe what they are doing. As for what was linked on the Kos page, it is hard to go back to as the contents have already changed several times even with the same trackback address.

The rule that is being eliminated is one that states members should act creditably at all times. If you care to discuss how that would work in such a partisan environment then we can do so. I believe that it is likely being used for filing of frivolous complaints on all sides since the definition of creditably can be defined as one sees fit.

You are welcome to take issue with it and disagree but I see more motivations at work here than just Delay who is the claimed caused for action.

Nick

post #30 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by Northgate
What if the Democrats tried changing the rules of impeachment in 1998?

They would have had to amend the Constitution.

Quote:
Originally posted by Northgate
And that rule is the one that will particularly apply to Delay.

Nonsense. The caucus rule change could be seen as applying to Delay, but none of the three I listed would apply to him more than anyone else. How, for example, does allowing one to address an admonishment before it goes public apply only to Delay?

Nick

post #31 of 37
Quote:
That particular rule relates exclusively to Republican caucus and their rules for their own leadership. It has nothing to do with the House of Reps Ethics rules. I quoted the three that are under consideration for change. If you have found another rule that relates specifically to the actual house as opposed to the actual parties, you are welcome to bring it up.

I think you've gotten a bit ahead of yourself here Mid. You are letting people with an agenda cloud the difference between party caucus and the actual House of Reps.

Nick

So in other words, you're fine with the Republicans loosening their party ethics standards to let DeLay's infractions slide by? That's my point. It doesn't matter whether it's the whole house or just the party. They're trying to loosen their self-imposed ethics standards so that DeLay can avoid punishment.

It's a double-standard: these ethics rules are great until someone we need gets into trouble. Then they drop them.

What the hell kind of ethics is that?
post #32 of 37
Another FYI: the house republicans at the urging of DeLay voted to reverse their earlier actions and reinstate the rule that a Republican house leader step down if indicted. Again I don't hear any hue or cry to have the Democratic party leadership adopt a similar rule. Whats good for the goose should also be good for the gander.
post #33 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by dbamber
Another FYI: the house republicans at the urging of DeLay voted to reverse their earlier actions and reinstate the rule that a Republican house leader step down if indicted. Again I don't hear any hue or cry to have the Democratic party leadership adopt a similar rule. Whats good for the goose should also be good for the gander.

So in other words, if the Democrats are stupid enough to impose a rule that they must cut off a leg if one of them says "Bill Clinton," the Republicans should follow suit?

Maybe the democrats weren't having the same kinds of ethics problems the republicans were?

Question: these rules were adopted under Gingrich, iirc, which means that it was potentially a power-play by this new breed of Republican. Did anyone actually get taken down by these rules?
post #34 of 37
GOP drops ethics changes

Doesn't have to be the end of the discussion, but it is the end of the topic.

Nick

post #35 of 37
I noticed that the article I'm posting below uses similar language as many of the Dems on this board (for which we were mocked and ridiculed by the Repubs). Of course, Tumpt and his ilk want you to believe that none of this is about loyalty to DeLay and the simple suggestion that it is about DeLay is tatamount to un-americanism:

Quote:
House Republicans suddenly reversed course Monday, deciding to retain a tough standard for lawmaker discipline and reinstate a rule that would force Majority Leader Tom DeLay to step aside if indicted by a Texas grand jury.

The surprise dual decisions were made by Speaker Dennis Hastert and by DeLay who asked GOP colleagues to undo the extreme act of loyalty they handed him in November. Then, Republicans changed a party rule so DeLay could retain his leadership post if indicted by the grand jury in Austin that charged three of the Texas Republican's associates.

When Republicans began their closed-door meeting Monday night, leaders were considering a rules change that would have made it tougher to rebuke a House member for misconduct. The proposal would have required a more specific finding of ethical violations.

Republicans gave no indication before the meeting that the indictment rule would be changed. Even more surprising was DeLay's decision to make the proposal himself.

Jonathan Grella, a DeLay spokesman, said DeLay still believed it was legitimate to allow a leader to retain his post while under indictment. But Grella said that by reinstating the rule that he step aside, DeLay was "denying the Democrats their lone issue. Anything that could undermine our agenda needs to be nipped in the bud."

ABC News
post #36 of 37
GOP leaves one proposed rule change on the table.

Quote:
A day after backing off a rules change that would have allowed an indicted congressional leader to retain his post, the House of Representatives on Tuesday adopted a separate change that will make it harder to pursue ethics probes of members of Congress.

The vote on the rules package was 220-195 along party lines. The Republicans who control the House said the changes are needed to make the ethics system work better while the Democratic minority said it would "gut" the House's main means of policing its members.

Five members of each party serve on the House ethics panel and under the current system, a tie vote would launch an ethics probe. Under the new rule, a tie or failure to make a decision within 45 days would mean no action would be taken.

A partnership of watchdog groups calling itself the Congressional Ethics Coalition said the changes "would sharply increase the incentive for partisan, deadlock votes on the committee, and would go a long way toward guaranteeing that most ethics complaints would be dead on arrival."

Republicans have abandoned the system put in place to preserve ethical standards in the House in exchange for a system that will be thoroughly politicized and designed to protect the Republicans -- with DeLay at the very top -- from their increasing hubris, corruption and desire to have sex with their pages.
post #37 of 37
What utter hypocrites.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › GOP Ethics