or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Americans doing alot to help disaster victims

Americans doing alot to help disaster victims

post #1 of 11
For those who have missed it:

The Bush administration has already pledged $350m in aid. Private donations have also flooded in, with the American Red Cross receiving $79.2m (£41.4m).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4143459.stm

President George W Bush and two of his predecessors, Bill Clinton and George Bush Senior, have called on Americans to aid the Asian tsunami's victims.
"A more sensitive and caring Common man for 2005"
post #2 of 11
I already donated what I could.
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #3 of 11
Good for you. So did I.
post #4 of 11
The most my wife and I could donate to Unicef, Red Cross and ReliefWeb. We wish it could've been more.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #5 of 11
I donated to the Red Cross. It's hard to know how much of the money you donate actually goes toward helping people. I've looked for numbers on UN organizations and haven't been able to find any.

www.give.org
post #6 of 11
I didn't know George Bush Senior was fit to make a public appearance.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
post #7 of 11
If I hear another Republican say how generous the American people are I'm going to puke.

Besides being a red herring, (it was governments, not people that was inferred as being stingy) it is crass to constantly say how generous you are.

Ok, so we're generous . Can't we be humble at the same time?

Besides this "stingy" shit was just a convenient way to get all the usual people in a anti-U.N. anti-France/E.U. tizzy. Booorrrring!
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally posted by johnq
was just a convenient way to get all the usual people in a anti-U.N. anti-France/E.U. tizzy.

So an Official at the UN tried to stir up anti-UN sentiment? That makes no sense.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank777
So an Official at the UN tried to stir up anti-UN sentiment? That makes no sense.

Follow the bouncing ball...

The Republicans and ilk....made a big deal out of this "stingy" comment...to bash their usual enemies and stir up mock outrage.

Now, here's where someone assumes I am agreeing with the "stingy" comment. No. That too, was a stupid thing to bring up. Wrong time. Neither side should use this to get their digs in if it might at all effects rapid action and aid.

The dude backtracked/apologized, however insincerely, yet the right won't frigging drop it.
post #10 of 11
Many people around the world give a lof of money to help.

This is good new.
The sad new is that it will not be sufficiant to fix all the problems, but it will save many lives.

It's good that the Bush admin, is trying to do it's best.
Now it will be pityfull if donations would become a sort of competition between people or nations. The important point is to help.
post #11 of 11
Agreed p-doc. No intent to turn it into a competition.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Americans doing alot to help disaster victims