or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Iraq radio announces capture of Zarqawi

Iraq radio announces capture of Zarqawi

post #1 of 24
No details as yet but he was caught in Baquba according to the Iraqi Kurdish radio station.

Personally I think it's unlikely - mainly due to him being dead - but you never know, they announced Saddam's capture and I didn't believe that either.

We'll see.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #2 of 24
havn't seen it anywhere on the internets yet, nor News24.
post #3 of 24
I can't find any info on this segovius.

However, US ally and Baghdad Gov. Ali Haidari was killed along with five of his bodygaurds. Along with another five US soldiers and more civlians.

The insurgents, despite taking some huge losses, are continuing to rack up kills against the US and it's allies. What did the President say, "we got the bad guys on the run..."
You know, what's interesting about our country is that for years we were isolated from the world by two great oceans, and for a while we got a false sense of security as a result of that. We...
You know, what's interesting about our country is that for years we were isolated from the world by two great oceans, and for a while we got a false sense of security as a result of that. We...
post #4 of 24
Quote:
Originally posted by hardhead
I can't find any info on this segovius.

However, US ally and Baghdad Gov. Ali Haidari was killed along with five of his bodygaurds. Along with another five US soldiers and more civlians.

The insurgents, despite taking some huge losses, are continuing to rack up kills against the US and it's allies. What did the President say, "we got the bad guys on the run..."

There's some links coming in if you search 'Zarqawi' on Google News.

Nothing much solid yet though.
post #5 of 24
Looking like its not true.
(From LST)

I'm not holding my breath. But here's the story from China Daily:

Abu Mus'ab al-Zarqawi, whom the US occupation authorities declared to be the "target number one" in Iraq, has been arrested in the city of Baakuba, the Emirate newspaper al-Bayane reported on Tuesday referring to Kurdish sources.

Al-Zarqawi, leader of the terrorist group Al-Tawhid Wa'al-Jihad, was recently appointed the director of the Al-Qaeda organisation in Iraq.

The newspaper's correspondent in Baghdad points out that a report on the seizure of the terrorist, on whom the US put a bounty of US$10 million, was also reported by Iraqi Kurdistan radio, which at one time had been the first to announce the arrest of Saddam Hussein.

[hat tip: National Review's Corner]

http://www.lonestartimes.com/index.p...0,1334,0,0,1,0UPDATE: - looks like just another false alarm. *sigh*
"A more sensitive and caring Common man for 2005"
post #6 of 24
Quote:
Originally posted by Common Man
Looking like its not true.
(From LST)

I'm not holding my breath. But here's the story from China Daily:

Abu Mus'ab al-Zarqawi, whom the US occupation authorities declared to be the "target number one" in Iraq, has been arrested in the city of Baakuba, the Emirate newspaper al-Bayane reported on Tuesday referring to Kurdish sources.

Al-Zarqawi, leader of the terrorist group Al-Tawhid Wa'al-Jihad, was recently appointed the director of the Al-Qaeda organisation in Iraq.

The newspaper's correspondent in Baghdad points out that a report on the seizure of the terrorist, on whom the US put a bounty of US$10 million, was also reported by Iraqi Kurdistan radio, which at one time had been the first to announce the arrest of Saddam Hussein.

[hat tip: National Review's Corner]

http://www.lonestartimes.com/index.p...0,1334,0,0,1,0UPDATE: - looks like just another false alarm. *sigh*

Like I said: Zarqawi is dead and just another bogey for the fascists to scare the sheep with and get fanboys like you baying for blood..
post #7 of 24
What part of reality don't you understand? OBL sent his goons to kill thousands of Americans. We sent our army to at least make a dent in his power. In the process we took out a regime (the Taliban) that persecuted its own people. A regime that beheaded woman in soccer fields if they acted "out of line You moan about "fundies"? Well there are your fundies.

Then we went to Iraq and removed a horrid dictator who was indeed a threat to us, to you and to his own people. Our mistake? We did not prepare for the insurgency. Yep, that was a huge mistake.

You know, all of your thinking and reading and philosophical blogging does nothing to solve the real problem of this world. Go on with your smug little intellectual arguments and we will go on with freeing and feeding people.
post #8 of 24
Quote:
What part of reality don't you understand? OBL sent his goons to kill thousands of Americans. We sent our army to at least make a dent in his power. In the process we took out a regime (the Taliban) that persecuted its own people. A regime that beheaded woman in soccer fields if they acted "out of line You moan about "fundies"? Well there are your fundies.

Then we went to Iraq and removed a horrid dictator who was indeed a threat to us, to you and to his own people. Our mistake? We did not prepare for the insurgency. Yep, that was a huge mistake.

You know, all of your thinking and reading and philosophical blogging does nothing to solve the real problem of this world. Go on with your smug little intellectual arguments and we will go on with freeing and feeding people.

Thanks, I've waited soooooo long to be able to use this:

post #9 of 24
The great philosopher lost his composure. The Common Man grins
post #10 of 24
Quote:

Not really - when I lose my composure you'll be the first to know.
post #11 of 24
Quote:

Btw - I have a question for you.

How is it that I am capable of starting a thread which may go against my whole view and open up a can of worms for you and all the rest of the fanboys to feed on - and, far more importantly, how is it that you are not ?

Let me clarify:

I believe Zarqawi is dead. This is based on the best guess after perusing much evidence that suggests this.

However, I do not know for sure so I admit there is a possibility I am wrong.

If I was wrong and he had been arrested tonight then we would all be knee-deep in gloating, propaganda and rhetoric (much of it emanating from yourself) in this very thread. That I started.

When do you ever take a chance like that ? And why not ?

It's because you are a partisan and I am only interested in the facts. If Zarqawi is caught then that's a fact. But right now it looks like he doesn't exist.

He wasn't in Fallujah, he wasn't in Baquba - he's not anywhere. Except maybe in Syria with the WMDs.
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally posted by hardhead
What did the President say, "we got the bad guys on the run..."

That was true. What he neglected to mention is which direction they were running.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius

Thanks, I've waited soooooo long to be able to use this:

oh dear, how long before over use of that image gets me a temp ban again. Segovius you bastard.
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank777
That was true. What he neglected to mention is which direction they were running.

Even Frank can be funny at times!
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally posted by MarcUK
oh dear, how long before over use of that image gets me a temp ban again. Segovius you bastard.

Yes, I thought you'd appreciate the subtext - better remover it quickly before the cops get here
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally posted by MarcUK

Oh and sorry - reckless folly. Blame it on Common Man he made me lose my composure.
post #17 of 24
I'm not that partisan. I see flaws in the admin and I admit them. Just above I was critical of the post-invasion security situation. It was a huge mistake. Law and order should have been established very early before Iraq became a magnet for those with a terrorist agenda. I still recall one of the dumbest things Rumsfeld said when Iraqis were looting. He said something like free people are free to make mistakes". What an ignorant thing to say as the security of Iraq was going to hell. I believe that if we were prepared to keep the peace after the fall of SH, the situation in Iraq would be a whole lot better today.

As far as your risky post. If you think that Zarqawi is dead, perhaps you were just setting up a straw man?

Anyway, I dont want to battle with you. We usually disagree, but I respect your analysis.
post #18 of 24
Quote:
I'm not that partisan. I see flaws in the admin and I admit them. Just above I was critical of the post-invasion security situation. It was a huge mistake. Law and order should have been established very early before Iraq became a magnet for those with a terrorist agenda. I still recall one of the dumbest things Rumsfeld said when Iraqis were looting. He said something like free people are free to make mistakes". What an ignorant thing to say as the security of Iraq was going to hell. I believe that if we were prepared to keep the peace after the fall of SH, the situation in Iraq would be a whole lot better today.

As far as your risky post. If you think that Zarqawi is dead, perhaps you were just setting up a straw man?

Anyway, I dont want to battle with you. We usually disagree, but I respect your analysis.

No problems, I'm not up for fighting either - I apologise if caused offence. it wasn't my intention, I do seem to be acting in ways that are unacceptable to myself a lot lately.

I shall have to do something about it.
post #19 of 24

Bwahahahahah! The image is mine
post #20 of 24
Segovius, the problem is that the World is not run by peaceful intellectuals. It is run by selfish, greedy bullies. If we Americans elected a logical and peaceful President, he or she would be devoured by the greedy, selfish leaders of other countries. Therefore, we elect our own bully to stand up to the bullies of the world. If only the cycle could be broken? but how?
post #21 of 24
"Bwahahahahah! The image is mine "
------------------------------------------------------------------------
At least find a Mac version Mark
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Segovius, the problem is that the World is not run by peaceful intellectuals. It is run by selfish, greedy bullies. If we Americans elected a logical and peaceful President, he or she would be devoured by the greedy, selfish leaders of other countries. Therefore, we elect our own bully to stand up to the bullies of the world. If only the cycle could be broken? but how?

That's true - it is a problem and unfortunately I doubt there is a solution.

People are what they are and that is never going to change - the greatest spiritual, philosophical and humanitarian minds of history have made no change to human nature.

I think the only answer must be to find some form of genuine inner peace and detachment. I haven't managed this, hence my continued presence in these forums.
post #23 of 24
Quote:

I'll bite. Just how, exactly will the US get devoured if you elect a logical president that doesn't start wars, and only okays fighting if another state attacks the US?

You have a great track record for electing people who do anything but that.
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius
That's true - it is a problem and unfortunately I doubt there is a solution.

Vote a libertarian into the driver's seat and you'll see the solution not only exists, but is amazingly simple. No one in their right mind wants war. The logical thing to do is to have a minimal military that specializes in defense, making any attack upon the state so costly, it's not worth it to attack. It's directly beneficial for any state to have such an minimal military. When other states, potential threats, follow suit, the size of the military can be cut further according to the level of threat at that point. If others arm themselves more, the military has to be grown, but always keeping it as small as possible while securing the state from attack.

Tampering with other states' affairs can only be counterproductive. The folks who'll deal with anyone else by means of free trade, will be the most successful in the long run. If the others are particularly insistent on not trading with each other, the one state that trades with everybody could prosper by that arbitration alone.

In the long run, prosperity results in peace (and vice versa). People who are well off have the most to lose in a war, and typically nothing to gain. Besides, when there is enough free trade between states, various industries specialize and concentrate with little regard of borders, and the states develop a reliance on each other. This makes war a doubly costly proposition, since not only do they need to incur the huge expense of war both in money and lives, but they lose a big part of the trade that sustains them, until they have emerged from the war victorious and restarted production, which might prove near impossible.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Iraq radio announces capture of Zarqawi