or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › American falg at half-staff for tsunami?

American falg at half-staff for tsunami?

post #1 of 13
Just raising a question here...doesn't it seem like a twisting of the American flag code to order the flag to be flown at half-staff for this tsunami thing?

[NOTE: Can someone fix my typo of "flag" in the subject?]
post #2 of 13
What do you mean "tsunami thing"? This isn't your average Hollywood movie you know.

It is a sign of honoring those that have been lost, and it shows that not only the Government, but the people and the entity of USA is expressing its condolences and is honoring those that have lost their lives and their families.

By the same token, there were Americans that lost their lives as well, so it only seems appropriate to raise the flag half-way.

I seriously don't understand the need for this topic.
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally posted by Gene Clean
I seriously don't understand the need for this topic.

Then delete it.
post #4 of 13
Quote:
It is a sign of honoring those that have been lost, and it shows that not only the Government, but the people and the entity of USA is expressing its condolences and is honoring those that have lost their lives and their families.

I guess I am wondering why it is hasn't been done before. This is large...but that appears to be the only difference compared to other major disasters.

Quote:
By the same token, there were Americans that lost their lives as well, so it only seems appropriate to raise the flag half-way.

Using that reasoning we should fly it at half-staff every day.
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cuilla
I guess I am wondering why it is hasn't been done before. This is large...but that appears to be the only difference compared to other major disasters.

It's done whenever the Government decides to do it. Others may choose to do it themselves but they don't have to. When the Government does it, all other private/public entities must do it as well. The time its done is just a matter of governmental bureaucracy.

Quote:
Using that reasoning we should fly it at half-staff every day.

No, we shouldn't. This is a governmental procedure and it is explained in the State protocol. It doesn't happen everyday. There is a time and place for everything.

This is a tragedy not only because 36 confimed Americans are dead, but also because approximately 140,000 other people have died too. 36 Americans die in America everyday because of various reasons, but none of those reaons is a natural disaster of this scale.
post #6 of 13
Quote:
It's done whenever the Government decides to do it. Others may choose to do it themselves but they don't have to. When the Government does it, all other private/public entities must do it as well. The time its done is just a matter of governmental bureaucracy.

Actually, when the President says.

And I am still wondering when something like this has happened (and there have been other natural disasters...though not as large)...it hadn't happened before.

Quote:
No, we shouldn't.

Exactly.

Quote:
This is a tragedy not only because 36 confimed Americans are dead, but also because approximately 140,000 other people have died too. 36 Americans die in America everyday because of various reasons, but none of those reaons is a natural disaster of this scale.

I have no quibble with the size, scope or tragedy of this natural disaster. A terrible event indeed. Just strikes me as this "look how much we care" kind of thing. Which feels ( to me anyway) a tad "showy". That is all. That the reason I raised the question (as useless as you might think the question is).
post #7 of 13
Quote:
I have no quibble with the size, scope or tragedy of this natural disaster. A terrible event indeed. Just strikes me as this "look how much we care" kind of thing. Which feels ( to me anyway) a tad "showy". That is all. That the reason I raised the question (as useless as you might think the question is).

Don't forget that the flags where flown half staff all around the world after 9/11. We even had a minute of silence here in Switzerland after 9/11 and after the tsunami.
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally posted by durin oakenskin
Don't forget that the flags where flown half staff all around the world after 9/11. We even had a minute of silence here in Switzerland after 9/11 and after the tsunami.

That's a fair point.
post #9 of 13
Aren't they only supposed to fly at half staff when a government official dies, like the president?
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
Aren't they only supposed to fly at half staff when a government official dies, like the president?

That is what I thought, and what prompted the question (in my head) at first. Upon further examination, there is that, plus by Presidential order/proclimation. That said, it has been a rare occurrence (from my memory) outside of heads of state, etc. And given that we've had many major natural disasters (though not of this magnitude to be sure), and not done the half-staff thing for those...I thought I'd raise a blasphemous and unpopular question...because...well...I'm bored.

NOTE: 9/11 seemed like an appropriate use.
post #11 of 13
Quote:
[B]Actually, when the President says.

The President of the US serves both as chief of state and chief political executive. [i.e. he's the acting Prime Minister for lack of a better term).

Quote:

Yes, it strikes me too. And it is a 'look how much we care' all the way; including the 'I donated a million dollars, look how wealthy I am!' types of donations. I just thought that you were angry at the US for raising the flag halfway because... well because we shouldn't do it for them 'liberals'. That's why I didn't understand it. Now that its clearer why you raised the question, I concur with you on this one.
post #12 of 13
Quote:
I just thought that you were angry at the US for raising the flag halfway because... well because we shouldn't do it for them 'liberals'.

No not at all. And it seems fine to me (I guess)> I was just questioning the motives of our fine President.

( This is still a free country, right? I'm still allowed to do that. Of course I'm a "fundie" so I probably shouldn't. )

post #13 of 13
Why you little tease.....

Quote:
when a government official dies, like the president?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › American falg at half-staff for tsunami?