or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › CNN says bye to Tucker and to he-said/she-said commentary

CNN says bye to Tucker and to he-said/she-said commentary

post #1 of 14
CNN is cancelling Crossfire and Tucker is on the way out, as I assume are the other flunkies on that show.

Basically, CNN's Klein saying that he agreed with Jon Stewart's basic premise out shows like Crossfire damaging real discourse and news reporting. Shows like Crossfire are on the out, though I assume love-fests like Larry King Live are going to be left in. The cynical side of me says that it's probably driven by marketing as much if not more than principle. Rather than compete vis-a-vis Fox News' (and MSNBC) talking heads "analysis" formats, they're going to focus more on field reporting and, as they put it, storytelling. So I temper my gratitude for getting away from that dumb liberal vs. conservative cock fight model with the knowledge that it's driven by ratings (or the desire for them), and that their storytelling could potentially be as schmaltzy as NBC's Dateline.

PS: when did 60 minutes stop doing interviews and start hiring people to flirt with their subjects? It look like an episode of Blind date, without the jacuzzi scenes.
post #2 of 14
The "glass half full" part of me says this is great, bring on real, intelligent, respectful public discourse.

The "glass half empty" part of me says...yeah right, like that's going to happen.
post #3 of 14
It can't hurt.
proud resident of a failed state
proud resident of a failed state
post #4 of 14
I can't wait to see if this makes the Daily Show tonight.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #5 of 14
That'll teach'em for wearing bowties... dohh!
You know, what's interesting about our country is that for years we were isolated from the world by two great oceans, and for a while we got a false sense of security as a result of that. We...
You know, what's interesting about our country is that for years we were isolated from the world by two great oceans, and for a while we got a false sense of security as a result of that. We...
post #6 of 14
Funny. Crossfire has been a part of CNN forever, I think since CNN first came on the air.

The irony is that now that everyone is going that direction, and that's clearly what people want and what's popular (see Fox News), CNN is dropping it.
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
Funny. Crossfire has been a part of CNN forever, I think since CNN first came on the air.

The irony is that now that everyone is going that direction, and that's clearly what people want and what's popular (see Fox News), CNN is dropping it.

One would like to think that they are trying to skate to where the puck will be, as opposed to where it is.
post #8 of 14
Crossfire hasn't been popular in years though, especially since they went with the dumb studio audience format. It's not the audience that made the show drop about 10 spots below public access at 4am, it's the rest of the dumbed-down format that went along with it, especially with the people they put in to do the job. It's become an embarrassment for CNN, a symptom of how they're no longer a trusted source of information or cogent opinion. But it's only a symptom. I mean, add Larry King, Anderson Cooper, Aaron Brown, Paula Zahn, Wolf Blitzer, mindlessly playing telephone with articles about rumored headless iMacs and portraying this stuff as fact, and you have a network with a real identity crisis.

That's why Fox is more popular. It at least knows what it is.
post #9 of 14
Crossfire was political theatre, even sport, and was heavily centered on
"backing your own team" as BR would put it. And as long as you understood that, you could watch it and get something out of it.

I don't know who told Jon Stewart it was supposed to be 60 Minutes.
I thought Stewart came out looking silly, since he thought he was the honoured guest on a real political debate show.

Something else will fill the gap. There's a reason the fourth person on Maher's Politically Incorrect was a comedian. Today's political world needs to be mocked at times.

Either that, or we can all take it seriously and cry instead.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #10 of 14
Good news. But I probably still won't watch cable news.

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank777
I thought Stewart came out looking silly, since he thought he was the honoured guest on a real political debate show.

I think your interpretation here is wrong on the merits. Stewart understood shows like Crossfire were more like theater than real debate shows. He said something very similar, in fact. But he tried to have a real discussion with Tucker and Paul in spite of it all. He wasn't naive-- which is what you're saying.
post #11 of 14
Crossfire's audience format was for one reason only: to drive sales at the CNN tour's souvenir shop.

CNN hustles thousands of tourists through their facilities everyday.
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally posted by johnq
Crossfire's audience format was for one reason only: to drive sales at the CNN tour's souvenir shop.

There's not much else for the tourists to do down there.
post #13 of 14
Back when I still had a TV Crossfire was actually a good program. They had serious discussions there. Pat Buchanan was on the right winged team and despite I disagree with close to 99.5% of his views I respected his as an debater who wanted to represent his views in the best way and with an attitute for open debate.

But now, its just junk and sexual displacement.
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally posted by johnq

Crossfire is at GWU in DC, not their Atlanta HQ.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › CNN says bye to Tucker and to he-said/she-said commentary