or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › PowerMac - Anyone else waiting?

PowerMac - Anyone else waiting? - Page 4

post #121 of 633
I thought someone might get the wrong idea of my use of the word mediocrity. I only meant to say it equaled most PC speeds on average. For the most part the state of computing across platforms is stagnant. It could use another "old school Apple" shot in the arm to regenerate it.
From the looks of things with IBM, if Apple were to get ahead of the PC world in the design game now, the processors from IBM shouldn't cripple their future, as it did in the past with Motorola.
Quote:
Originally posted by zenarcade

I agree that the state of the PowerMac is very much up to Steve Jobs and how he wants to define it. But again, what is a POWERUSER
?

A Power-User by my definition is those who buy the Power-line of Apple products. The PowerBook, and PowerMac.

I still think being on par, or equal to the PC on average should be the new role of the iMac for the most part now that there is a Mac-Mini for entry level computer users that are not ready, or are undecided as to what their personal computers are going to be used as, and/or for.
But, the iMac is still slightly less than what some musicians, gamers, video, and even some 2D professionals may need, or would choose it for being that there are limited expandability options fort the iMac. Which leaves us the place where the PowerMac has settled upon. Which is where the majority of Mac using professionals lie.

There is still the un-addressed above average PC which Apple has not countered, or offered a Macintosh for. This is where I think Apple should venture in the very near future. I like the name ProMac. The PowerMac could accommodate the features needed for my idea of a ProMac, but that would burden the existing Mac professional with added expense of features that would be seemingly useless to them.

Quote:
Originally posted by zenarcade

Now, 18 months since the 64bit G5 were introduced at wwdc, where are the 64bits applications ? Where are the applications that shows the obvious difference between 32bit and 64bit ? (if there is any for mid-pro users)

Intel is still the dominant processor sold in computers, and including legacy computers intel is in great abundance across the computing world.

Intel is working on a 64-bit processor so that should stir more 64-bit development because Microsoft will be pushing 64-bit computing as the greatest thing since pussy once they do.

64-bit applications are slowly turning themselves out, but developers are not the easiest people to convince to change their programming habits for a few computers for, and some applications are easier to compile as 64-bit ready than others. Newtek has had a beta version 64-bit LightWave 3D running under AMD Opterons for a few months now, and being that Lightwave is a cross-platform application I believe they probably are working on, or have something similar for Mac's. It will probably be shown at a expo, or something.
Adobe probably already has beta 64-bit ready applications, and chances are we'll see them within a year, or so pending intel of course.
Maya just got a full OSX native re-write which is helping their OSX development greatly, and Alias is fully aware of AMD, Intel, and IBM's push on 64-bit. I think it's mostly a matter of all developers waiting on intel, and Microsoft before they decide it's a truely needed push.

Once all three are shipping 64-bit processors, and MS brings that 64-bit OS out of beta you can believe that you'll be seeing so many 64-bit apps your head will spin.
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

post #122 of 633
Quote:
Originally posted by onlooker
Adobe probably already has beta 64-bit ready applications, and chances are we'll see them within a year, or so pending intel of course.
Maya just got a full OSX native re-write which is helping their OSX development greatly, and Alias is fully aware of AMD, Intel, and IBM's push on 64-bit. I think it's mostly a matter of all developers waiting on intel, and Microsoft before they decide it's a truely needed push.

People need to realize not all ... most... applications can hardly benefit from 64bit at this point. Yes maya, PS, Lightwave, cinema, etc etc can benefit a great deal. But your average run of the mill developer who programs applications such as BBEdit, OmniGraffle, etc don't have a great need for 64bit yet. Your main applications that can benefit from 64bit are million+ lines of code. This takes time to port. In some cases its as simple as a recompile for some simple applications... however this isn't the case for these major programs.

It will happen with time. Develops are more than willing to port applications to 64bit if it means money will be made from it. If it won't increase revenue on the application then there isn't a point to upgrade it.

As stated, it will happen eventually, just like the transition from 16bit -> 32bit.

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

Quote:

post #123 of 633
the idea of a 'promac' seems pointless - as their powermac line IS the promac - it's just that Apple aint keeping up with the times in terms of features and cost.

pc's are as cheap as ever, and powermacs are expensive as ever at the moment.

all they gotta do is drop the prices, add more ram/GPU/hd size as standard and WAM BAM we'll be happy till the 'big' revision comes. come'on apple!
post #124 of 633
Yah they are pretty expensive,

Of course I buy with developer discounts, so a 2999 powermac usually ends up around 2300.

Even if they didn't drop the prices, they could at least add more ram, better GPU, harddrive.... ram and harddrive they aren't that reliant on other companies... so that is 100% feasible. As far as GPU they ARE reliant on ATI and NVidia to get their acts together. If NVidia would release a 6600gt for the mac everything would be perfect.

Stick the 6600gt in the bottom line, the ATI 9800xt in the middle line, and 6800gt in the top line. That leaves the x800xt and 6800ultra as BTO options. And if you want you can even put the 9600xt and the 5200ultra in there for BTO options to further drop the price if needed.

Apple has completely lost sight of the BTO principle. It's now a gimic to get you to buy other apple stuff instead of truly customizing the machine. It does add more money to have customizeable machines... that's understandable... but it would make a lot more users happy. How hard is it to pull out a graphics card and put another in... take me about a minute. And if I was doing that for a living it would be done in 30 seconds each. How hard can that be? I mean the case is already open for ram, might as well do graphics cards too.

Quote:

Quote:

post #125 of 633
Quote:
Originally posted by quamb
the idea of a 'promac' seems pointless - as their powermac line IS the promac - it's just that Apple aint keeping up with the times in terms of features and cost.

pc's are as cheap as ever, and powermacs are expensive as ever at the moment.

all they gotta do is drop the prices, add more ram/GPU/hd size as standard and WAM BAM we'll be happy till the 'big' revision comes. come'on apple!

I thought I made a good case for a ProMac in saying (not an actual quote) that "more added features are things that the majority of PowerMac users don't need. Adding cost to their computers would be unnecessary." Things like that are important to people, and Apple is starting to address that as you can see with the Mac Mini.
It could also bring down costs to the PowerMac line in future revisions. People are constantly saying there is no need for this, and that right now because it's unnecessary, but it's usually only unnecessary to them. If there were a ProMac, PowerMac users wouldn't have to relinquish a PCI-X slot for the second PCI-E slot. They would not have an optional Hot Swap Drive Carriage. (similar to the alienware workstation) Things like that cost, and in the case of the missing PCI-X slot - musicians use those, but they really have no need for a second PCI-E slot. So adding a second motherboard to the mix isn't as bad to some as it may seem to you. I suppose it doesn't have to have a new name, but that could go either way. It depends on how much of a chunk of the Pro Market Apple would want it to address on it's arrival, and how big, and broad a statement they could make with it. The Introduction alone could cause a stir.
On the reverse, adding a second MB, and keeping the PowerMac name with little hoopla would cause its own stir after Apple mentioned it's feature list. People would talk, and murmurs of available features would spread in pro markets just the same then too, but it would be of their own curiosity if they came to apple.com to take a peek for them self's.
onlooker

onlooker

post #126 of 633
aah gotcha. good points - guess this idea just proves how much the powermacs aren't satisfying us pro users... for now *fingers crossed*

tho most production studios I've been at use apple hardware, so any pro-powermac config will sure to make the rounds via word-of-mouth (rather then re-branding).
post #127 of 633
Quote:
Originally posted by emig647
Yah they are pretty expensive

Are they? Check this out:

(real prices)

Dual G5 2.5GHz vs Dual Opteron64 2.4GHz

=====Dual Opteron64 (w/comparable MB to Apple)=====
=====Used as many OEM discounts as possible========
MainBoard:__512$ Tyan Thunder K8S Pro Dual Opteron +SATA, +1000T-LAN, +USB
CPU:_______1188$ Dual AMD Opteron64/150, 1MB/L2 @ 2.4GHz
RAM:________254$ 2x512MiB PC3200/400MHz CAS=3-4-4 (you could knock 100$ off that by buying garbage RAM
FAN:________240$ Water-cooled system for 2 CPUS (i'm using One serially connecting 2cpus
__________________If that didn't work, it'd be 400$.
__________________This adds on an *external* pump, a PCI card, and a breach in the case).
HDD:________112$ Seagate 160GB Barracuda 7200RPM STATA
VGA:________138$ ATI Radeon 9600/XT/128MiB (Sapphire)
DVD:_________60$ Sony CDRW/DVD-RW
CASE/PS:____139$ Aspire Aluminium alloy w/500W PS, side window, case-fans
KBD:_________25$ Keybd + Mouse, USB
Sound:_______36$ SoundBlaster Audigy ES (probably not as good as Apple's on-board)
FireWire:____15$ 3+1 Port Firewire PCI
==================================================
___________2869$

Stock Apple 2.5GHz, same configuration:
___________3120$

Price difference: 251$

The G5 will still be higher quality because most of the accessories are *integrated*--a good example being the water cooling and the fans [which will be intelligent on the Mac].

Plus, with a Student or Developer discount--that mac becomes 61$ *CHEAPER* than the comparable opteron system.

Plus Plus, on the Mac--you have a full system warranty. The "whitebox opteron" gives you warranties from each supplier. If we through in AppleCare vs getting a full warranty on each of these, the Mac becomes even more attractive.

Plus Plus Plus:
Ergonomically, which one is easier to work with internally? The beautifully well layed out mac.
Which one will be quieter? The mac by a huge shot.
Which one will actually look nice in the office? The mac.

The list goes on.
post #128 of 633
yeh similar in specs, but i see these pentium 3.6ghz, 1g ram, top video card with lcd screen for almost half price that of the G5 with only 512ram and mediocre GPU.

and am betting that photoshop runs pretty much the same on both.

dont get me wrong though, i'd buy a mac over a pc anyday.
post #129 of 633
Quote:
Originally posted by dumpster_d

Dual G5 2.5GHz vs Dual Opteron64 2.4GHz

=====Dual Opteron64 (w/comparable MB to Apple)=====
=====Used as many OEM discounts as possible========
MainBoard:__512$ Tyan Thunder K8S Pro Dual Opteron +SATA, +1000T-LAN, +USB
CPU:_______1188$ Dual AMD Opteron64/150 , 1MB/L2 @ 2.4GHz

Actually Opteron does come in a single processor variant. anything that is in the 100 to 199 range would be single CPU Opteron. Dual Opterons start at 200. The processor you outlined was a single CPU version. Opteron64/150
onlooker

onlooker

post #130 of 633
Quote:

...[/FONT]

And if you REALLY wanna get technical... that case compared to apple's is cheap. You could easily get a LianLi case (that actually looks like the g5 case) for 200 without a power supply. That powersupply that the aspire case comes with isn't the greatest of Power supplies either so add another 60-100 for that as well. And that case is a wind tunnel... don't forget about stress factor ... btw I love aspire... just can't compare them to apple's case.

On top of that, developer discount brings the dual 2.5 down to 2399. Just thought you should know .

Quote:

Quote:

post #131 of 633
I just spec'd out an AlienWare Rosewell 5500 almost identical to the whitebox above [comparable to the dual G5, therefore].

Price: 3999$ w/1yr warranty [not an applecare 3yr]

Quote:
Originally posted by quamb
yeh similar in specs, but i see these pentium 3.6ghz, 1g ram, top video card with lcd screen for almost half price that of the G5 with only 512ram and mediocre GPU.

Yeah, but that's like taking a 2004 Ford Taurus to the Mercedes dealer and asking to swap it for a C220 because they both have the same horsepower.

I've had a few PCs--mostly hand-built by me--running every Windows OS since W3.11 except NT4. And linux, etc.

I've had a 486 die, a P-3 die--both with catastrophic data loss. That's two of three PCs I've owned. There have been more than a few other hardware problems as well [like videocards dead after only 1-2 years].

I've also had 9 macs.

I've *never* had data loss on a mac. Period.

Even when my the Apple HD Firmware Update unassociated the drives in my RAID last Summer I didn't lose data [just my mind and a weekend]. Still, that was a software issue.

9 macs over 16 years: 1 bad ethernet transceiver on a 6116
3 PCs over 7 years: failed PS, failed BIOS, failed MB, failed IDE controller, 2x failed VGA cards.

You'd see the same thing comparing Sun vs discount PC: we have Sun boxes here that haven't have a hardware failure during their 10 years of existence. Seems like the power-supply fan in the commodiy PCs last about 18 months.

Quality may be recondite, but its lack certainly is not.
post #132 of 633
Ok,
We hear you all.

Slow down everyone right now starting here please. This was a peaceful discussion, and still is. Lets not point fingers, and start a Mac vs. PC price war. All they ever do is ruin the thread, and nobody wants to come back, and visit after words.

So...

PowerMac - Anyone else waiting?
onlooker

onlooker

post #133 of 633
How much longer do you all expect will be the wait?

I'd like a Dual 2GHz
with two 512MB sticks of memory,
250GB Maxtor MaxLine III,
16x SuperDrive, and
x700 or whatever can drive the 30" ACD
$2000
Any chance?
post #134 of 633
It may be possible... You'd be better off going with the 6800gt if you're going for price.... currently you can get that machine for about 3k... so It's feasible for it to drop to 2k... but with the graphics card you're looking at another 300 bucks... so I'd say about 2.3k next rev.

But my guess is:

dual 2.3, dual 2.5, dual 2.8

Anyone disagree?

Quote:

Quote:

post #135 of 633
Quote:
Originally posted by BJNY
How much longer do you all expect will be the wait?

I'd like a Dual 2GHz
with two 512MB sticks of memory,
250GB Maxtor MaxLine III,
16x SuperDrive, and
x700 or whatever can drive the 30" ACD
$2000
Any chance?

i seriously doubt it would drop to 2000 (maybe edu), but i could see that replacing the current 2Ghz model.
post #136 of 633
I was going to comment on how the latest version of Alias Maya software (v6.5) has yet to publish specific hardware requirements for the Mac yet...

And how the hardware requirements for the Windows/PC platform specifies Quadro-level OpenGL boards...

(Along with the death-kneel for Maya on Irix/SGI, but do you hear anyone bitching about that?!? Not a bit, unlike the pathetic whining that came from certain users when Apple axed further development of Shake for the Windows/PC platform...)

And now, when I go to the Alias website to double-check what I read a week ago...

The specific hardware requirements page is MIA, along with the entire Community and Support sections of their website...

Now, I have been known to be a bit paranoid at times...

But I might be catching a whiff of a 'cover-up' before a release of PowerMacs with revised main logic boards and FINALLY! professional-grade OpenGL boards...

Ruminate and discuss at your leisure...
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
SuperDrive delete
post #137 of 633
Quote:
Originally posted by MacRonin
I was going to comment on how the latest version of Alias Maya software (v6.5) has yet to publish specific hardware requirements for the Mac yet...

And how the hardware requirements for the Windows/PC platform specifies Quadro-level OpenGL boards...

(Along with the death-kneel for Maya on Irix/SGI, but do you hear anyone bitching about that?!? Not a bit, unlike the pathetic whining that came from certain users when Apple axed further development of Shake for the Windows/PC platform...)

And now, when I go to the Alias website to double-check what I read a week ago...

The specific hardware requirements page is MIA, along with the entire Community and Support sections of their website...

Now, I have been known to be a bit paranoid at times...

But I might be catching a whiff of a 'cover-up' before a release of PowerMacs with revised main logic boards and FINALLY! professional-grade OpenGL boards...

Ruminate and discuss at your leisure...

You didn't go, and tell me that did you?

Ok, I just checked. Half of the links on the site are missing, but it says they've been making recent changes to the site. There is a lot more missing stuff than what you mentioned alone though. The student pages are gone, uploads and downloads are gone. I think they are ready to use the backup servers now.
onlooker

onlooker

post #138 of 633
Just for fun, I called the Apple Store yesterday asking if I could just go ahead and pre order the next PowerMac Rev.

He just laughed.
post #139 of 633
Well, if you look at the history of updates (from MacRumors.com), I would say there is one in the wings right now:

02/2005?
06/2004
11/2003
06/2003
01/2003
08/2002
01/2002

Personally, I am just waiting for a bump in CPU with the middle of the road landing at 2.5 Ghz with price drop.

Dual 2.5GHz PowerPC G5
1.25GHz frontside bus/processor
512K L2 cache/processor
512MB DDR400 SDRAM
Expandable to 8GB SDRAM
200GB Serial ATA
12x SuperDrive
Three PCI-X Slots
ATI Radeon 9600 XT
256MB DDR video memory
56K internal modem
Bluetooth
Airport Extreme
$2,499

BZ
post #140 of 633

Actually you can get that machine for that price now.

2.5 for 2599

It's refurbed... but who cares, same apple warranty.

I'd hope if that machine was middle of the line they'd at least upgrade the motherboard for PCI-E.

Quote:

Quote:

post #141 of 633
Quote:
This was a peaceful discussion, and still is. Lets not point fingers

Eek. I hope I didn't come accross as being argumentative--I was just trying to put a number on the comparative quality . . . it's far too often overlooked and down-time/data-loss seems more expensive [to me] than saving a few hundred $$$.

Quote:
PowerMac - Anyone else waiting?

Yes for me . . . I've been holding off for the last few months and hoping for a rev to put the 2x2.5 at the current 2x2.0 price-point.

I don't really care about PCI-E or PCI-X, etc. So, I'm not awaiting a new generation of technology--just a lower price for the technology that's already out there.
post #142 of 633
Quote:
Actually Opteron does come in a single processor variant. anything that is in the 100 to 199 range would be single CPU Opteron. Dual Opterons start at 200. The processor you outlined was a single CPU version. Opteron64/150

Oops. My bad.

Correcting it from Opteron64/150 to Opteron64/250 adds another 400$ to the AMD system, bringing its total to: 3269$
post #143 of 633
So dual 3 GHz PowerMac G5 very soon indeed...

I will purchase it and no less than it.

What is Apple waiting to deliver?

---

Quote:
Originally posted by BZ
Well, if you look at the history of updates (from MacRumors.com), I would say there is one in the wings right now:

02/2005?
06/2004
11/2003
06/2003
01/2003
08/2002
01/2002
BZ
post #144 of 633
As long as it isn't pink, I'm all for a Valentines Day PowerMac!
post #145 of 633
Quote:
Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree
As long as it isn't pink, I'm all for a Valentines Day PowerMac!

But shouldn't there be at least some rumors before it happens like there was with the PowerBook? I would go crazy for a Valentine's Day PowerMac but I just don't want to get my hopes up if there's no chance of it happening \
post #146 of 633
Quote:
Does anyone know the differences in processors, logic boards
and GPU connectivity from 1.8-2.0-2.5
Are they all NOW using 90nm chips or is the 130nm chip still in use
and if so on which models?

The dual 2.0 and the dual 2.5 are 90nm 970fx chips. I own a Rev B dual 2.0... you can verify this with the command in the terminal: ioreg -l | grep "cpu-version"

The 970fx (2.0 and 2.5) chips are 003c0300... I know the 970's have 2's in the number. If you run the same command on any of the Rev A's and any of the 1.8 rev bs... you get the number with the 2's in it.

If you can't wait any more and want a great deal, I'd get a dual 2.0 refurb when they are available. I love it. My only gripe is the 9600XT in my machine... not greatest for games... eventually I'm going to get a 9800pro at Newegg for 289. 256mb VRAM and 16 rendering pipes. Great card for a mac for the money.

I'd recommend that system... the dual 2 is quiet, very close to speed on the dual 2.5's and a great sturdy machine.

Quote:

Quote:

post #147 of 633
Quote:
Originally posted by zunx
So dual 3 GHz PowerMac G5 very soon indeed...

I will purchase it and no less than it.

What is Apple waiting to deliver?

---

the fact that there aren't any or enough 3Ghz processors to deliver to customers yet.
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #148 of 633
Emig, Thanks for the info.

I came very close to ordering a 2.0 two weeks ago and decided to wait.

After all this time, I would hate to feel that I settled for something less
than I want.

Of course now the torture of the unknown resumes.

The more I read, the more I become convinced that we will either
suffer through a minor, PoweBook type, time stretching revision or nothing at all until Tiger is released.

It seems logical that Apple would want to offer a new machine that takes
full advantage of all the new features in Tiger.

We're not going to see Tiger running at full tilt on a Mac mini, G4 PowerBook or even a G5 iMac.

It's going to take a Pro machine to demonstrate Tiger's capabilities.

So it seems the more we know about the Tiger release date, the more
we'll know about a new PowerMac.

Sedagive!!!
post #149 of 633
Quote:
[snip]
We're not going to see Tiger running at full tilt on a Mac mini, G4 PowerBook or even a G5 iMac.
[snip]

what do you mean?

an OS-update that's expected in 4 months that doesn't fully support a new $1900 desktop or $2700 laptop is dump.
who wants to shell out $130 for an OS-update that runs poorly on such an expensive 6 month old machine?

Mac mini alla, that's a $500 machine... it will never be as fast as a fully loaded G5 2.5GhzDP, but your 2.0GhzDP won't either.

all these machines will be fully supported.

wait
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #150 of 633
Of course all the existing machines will be fully supported.

My point was that a faster machine with improved graphics
would be the perfect way to show off ALL or Tigers capabilities.

If we see only a minor revision without Tiger, then we'll know that
the current configurations are heading for EOL clearance.

At this point I just hope they do SOMETHING soon before my
funds dwindle away on other expenses.

Unfortunately Apple isn't accepting pre-order REV 3's yet. :-(
post #151 of 633
tiger will work fine on all machines, and a pro machine will always 'show off' better. whats your point?
four more beers, four more beers
four more beers, four more beers
post #152 of 633
Honestly, I'm just trying to survive the wait like everyone else.

It all gets down to how much improvement we can expect in the nearest time frame.

Will it be days, weeks or months?

That's really all I want to know.

At this point waiting another 4-6 months seems like an eternity.

Please kill me now.
post #153 of 633
My opinion... for what its worth was off by 100mhz (2.6) and off by a month (I said may) last time.

When do I think the revision will be?

Most likely april-may. I know that's a huge time frame but I'm sure a lot of that depends on IBM and their yield rates on the faster processors.

So I'd say about months... update in March like some people suspect? HIGHLY unlikely. But once you make it passed march for waiting you can positively make it till the final release day whenever that is. I think the latest possible is just before WWDC... I don't believe apple will wait a WHOLE year between update cycles... at least last time it was what... 11 months and 2 weeks?

Either way, If you can't wait do what I said: get a refurbished dual 2.0 or dual 2.5, then go to newegg.com and get a 9800pro 256mb for 280 bucks. That machine will be a GREAT MACHINE. Nothing will be wrong with that machine for ANY work you do on it. They are extremely powerful machines.

But again if you can wait.... WAIT. I don't believe its going to be an update worth waiting for, just like the powerbook scene... everyone waited for g5 powerbooks. Everyone knew it wasn't going to happen, instead they got some periph. upgrades and a 167mhz speed bump... *yank yank*. Its going to be the same for the powermac... most likely moving to PCI-Express... which isn't going to affect many people because they aren't as hardcore into graphics as the "pros".

I say get a dual 2.0 now, you'll be 100% content. Sell it in a few years and get a new one. Someone will always have better / faster.. it's useless to keep up with those people.... because 9 times out of 10, they couldn't use the power if they tried.

Quote:

Quote:

post #154 of 633
actually i think a new model must have new graphics cards (ATI X800 etc). i tend to think that a lineup with dual 2, 2.4 and 2.6 is ok. double RAM and all is ok.... going to buy a new machine in may
go AAPL, go to $70 !!! © 2004
go AAPL, go to $70 !!! © 2004
post #155 of 633
Quote:
Originally posted by Krassy
actually i think a new model must have new graphics cards (ATI X800 etc). i tend to think that a lineup with dual 2, 2.4 and 2.6 is ok. double RAM and all is ok.... going to buy a new machine in may

The odds of shipping with a x800xt are slim to none... its a 500 dollar graphics card. I'm sure it will be a BTO option but it won't ship with it. However, I can see the top line shipping with a 9800xt or a 6600gt... that could be highly possible.

As far as 2.4 and 2.6.... again highly doubt it. Why? Because ibm would have to develop 2 new chips... instead of just 1... they have hard enough time coming out with 1 during a lineup change. I guarantee they will use the 2.3 that are being used in the XServes and I'm sure about the current 2.5 chips in the PMs. Otherwise these 2 chips would not be used any more... kind of a waste. It doesnt' make any sense for either the 2.4 or the 2.6 to be made when a 2.3 and 2.5 will be almost identical in speed.

Again, 2.3, 2.5, 2.8 is most likely what we will see.

Quote:

Quote:

post #156 of 633
Quote:
At this point waiting another 4-6 months seems like an eternity.

I think what FFTT is saying en re a coinciding hardware revision and OS update is that doing so makes a good demo. Posting benchmarks of the new OS on the newest hardware is always a good idea.

If the update doesn't happen in March, then I'd guess that it won't be shipping until MWDC--though, it could be anounced a month before.

I've been waiting 4m so far for the prices to come down--in a [happy] irony, I'll have saved enough by then for the top-end machine by the time things rev.

Still, I feel like I'm about to pop.
post #157 of 633
Quote:
Originally posted by emig647

Again, 2.3, 2.5, 2.8 is most likely what we will see.

That seems like big jump in the low end, 1.8 --> 2.3.

If IBM can produce anything faster than the 2.5, you think we'd see a bump to 2.0, 2.3, and 2.5?

They've made updates like this before, without touching the top end model.
post #158 of 633
Updates yes, but that's more the midway update. The yearly update is the one every one waits for. If Apple processors were getting faster - faster, Apple would probably go to faster versions every time like everybody else tries to, when they had them.
onlooker

onlooker

post #159 of 633
Quote:

Still, I feel like I'm about to pop. [/B]

I say we induce labor!
post #160 of 633
Quote:
SNIP then I'd guess that it won't be shipping until MWDC SNIP

MWDC?!? A new MacWorld in the District of Columbia...?!?

I think you mean WWDC, as in World Wide Developers Conference...

;^p
SuperDrive delete
SuperDrive delete
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › PowerMac - Anyone else waiting?