or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › PowerMac - Anyone else waiting?

PowerMac - Anyone else waiting? - Page 5

post #161 of 633
A MacWorld DC expo would rock!

I'm all for it!

Right across the street from FOSE
/http://www.fose.com/

It would be a very wise move to promote Apple
right in the heart of the nations capitol during the annual
government IT expos.

Security is a major selling point and MS has faltered badly
on that issue.

And.. it might be quite entertaining as well
to have SJ take on the other attendees before they commit all those
hard earned tax dollars to Wintel & Dell.
post #162 of 633
Quote:
Originally posted by emig647
Again, 2.3, 2.5, 2.8 is most likely what we will see.

I don't think so. Apple has to justify the price for the top model. I believe they will offer something more along this line:
2.0, 2.3, 2.8 GHz
post #163 of 633
Would it be feasible for apple to make an all-dual line-up? Instead of having single and dual versions of the 2.0, if that becomes the low end model, why not make the dual 1.8 the low end, then the dual 2.0, dual 2.3 etc.

Wouldn't the dual 1.8 be more powerful than a single 2.0?

Is having a 4 processor lineup (1.8, 2.0, 2.3, 2.5/2.8/3.0) too much?
post #164 of 633
They did before every clown in the world complained that the PowerMacs were too expensive so they removed a Processor, and dropped the price a bit. There is a chance that is a strategy of theirs to release all dual PowerMac then later offer the one single. Because it has happened that way more than once.

There was a dual 1.8.
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

post #165 of 633
* raises hand *

I'm waiting. There are a lot of things I'd like to see, but mainly I'm waiting because I don't need one just this second. My MDD 1x2 is serving me pretty well.

I'd like to see a speed bump at least. Although, more important to me would be included features, like PCI-E, a third internal SATA, better stability with the built-in firewire, and better OEM graphics options. Maybe a little off the price too. But I'll be happy with whatever I can get.

* looking forward to a new PowerMac *
- - - - - - - -

- J B 7 2 -
- - - - - - - -

- J B 7 2 -
post #166 of 633
Quote:
Originally posted by onlooker
They did before every clown in the world complained that the PowerMacs were too expensive so they removed a Processor, and dropped the price a bit. There is a chance that is a strategy of theirs to release all dual PowerMac then later offer the one single. Because it has happened that way more than once.

There was a dual 1.8.

I know that's why they made the single processor 1.8 in the first place, but if they moved the current dual 1.8 down to the same price as the current single 1.8 ($1499), and then had your dual 2.0 ($1999) and so on, then I can't see people complaining.

They could have had a dual 1.6 instead of bringing out the single 1.8, but they'd already cleared out the 1.6 long before. Maybe now they know they need a cheaper alternative, so they'll keep the dual 1.8 in the lineup even after the upgrades...
post #167 of 633
Well not like this is news, but I'll put my money on Apple holding off on Powermacs for four months until WWDC, and announce them with tiger. If your going to show off your Brand Spanking new OS you may as well have your best hardware to show it off on, and not show any of it until then.

My 2¢

WWDC June 6-10 2005
onlooker

onlooker

post #168 of 633
aw dont say that! terrrible news!

am going to see if I can hunt down a temporary mac to use and wait - HATE the idea of buying an 8+month old computer that Apple is going to upgrade in June! *frowns*
post #169 of 633
Quote:
Well not like this is news, but I'll put my money on Apple holding off on Powermacs for four months until WWDC, and announce them with tiger. If your going to show off your Brand Spanking new OS you may as well have your best hardware to show it off on, and not show any of it until then.

My 2¢

WWDC June 6-10 2005

Personally I don't think thats true. I have a feeling its going to be a quiet update just like last time.

I really don't think that Tiger and the Powermacs have enough to do with each other (besides 64bit support), compared to other models. Though I believe the machines were updated last year on the 6th or 9th of june?

Either way, If they don't come out in March... they will probably come out around may-june.

I just sold my dual 2.0 g5 today for what I paid for it 8 months ago (2k) so I'll be waiting with everyone else, unless I get a powerbook.

If I catch wind of the powermacs really getting a good upgrade, I'll buy one. To be honest the dual 2.0 was too much computer for me. Its a great computer... I don't think I ever once maxed out those processors for development, graphics, etc... except during benchmarking and rendering in cinema.

I'd like to see a different case next rev... I have a feeling we won't. I'd prefer at least another optical or hd bay stuffed in there.

Just my .02

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

Quote:

post #170 of 633
Quote:

My 2¢

WWDC June 6-10 2005

I agree as far as any major revision being timed with Tiger.

We still could see a minor overall options bump between now and WWDC
and still leave time for a major revision to show off Tiger.

Essentially putting memory and GPU cards on sale now as a pre-release
clearance.

Make that 4 cents
post #171 of 633
So your saying 2 PowerMac revisions in the next four months. That's never happened you know.
onlooker

onlooker

post #172 of 633
Onlooker is right,

They wouldn't do that for numerous reasons. Cost of production being #1.

The only mod they would do is add a machine to the lineup.

I really don't expect a huge update this round. Its been said before that apple may not really care about the powermac lineup anymore. They can't completely control the way IBM builds the processors, therefor trying to stay competitive in the mhz war is out of their hands. They do need to get better graphics cards... and I dont' mean high end, i mean mid range and pro range... quadro - firegl / x700 - 6600gt

That would be nice

Besides graphics cards and the addition of PCI-E I don't see huge updates... another 300mhz in processor speed, but that's it.

Quote:

Quote:

post #173 of 633
I was thinking in terms of a "RAM/GPU SALE" standardizing 512MB as the minimum RAM and possibly a standard GPU boost to 128MB in the dual towers as more of a corrective tweak than an actual revision for any pre- Tiger PowerMac purchase.
This could be done easily without any change in processors.

Any change of processors would be another story completely.

A price drop along with ANY of these changes would certainly signal an EOL clearance for the existing line.
post #174 of 633
I am sitting and waiting along with everyone else here.

I am new to the Mac world as I bought a 15" PB about 3 months ago.

I love the Mac OS and have found that other than playing games, all my personal and work related items get done on this little PB now.

I would love to switch over completely and buy a PM but keep waiting to see what is next.

I may buy with this next revision so I can get the dual 2.5 at the 2.0 price.

My only concern is gaming as I am old school with regards to FPS. I cannot do it with a game controller! Keyboard and mouse are a must.

Hopefully Mac will work on these issues so I can switch over completely and be the best Mac zealot that I can be.
15" PB 1.5Ghz, 1.25GB ram, ATI 128MB video, 80GB 5400 drive, BT, AE
Dell GenII XPS 3.4, 2GB ram, ATI 9800XT, SATA 250GB drive
post #175 of 633
Quote:
First off...

X800 XT's aren't going to help the situation but add another graphics card in the middle of the pack. A 6800 Gt and 6800 Ultra will whomp on a X800 XT. Don't believe me? Go to anandtech.com and do some research. ATI is selling them for 500 a pop right now... so you can assume thats about the price apple will get rid of them for. This adds NO significance to graphic card line ups.

i was under the impression in the IMG article that the 6800 ultra gave better frame rates but when you turned on FSAA and AF at higher and higher resolutions the X800 XT started pulling away from the 6800 Ultra?
post #176 of 633
I just want Apple to include a video card in all the Powermacs that will drive the 30" Cinema display just as the ATI 9700 in the Powerbook 17" 1.67GHz. does.
post #177 of 633
Quote:
Originally posted by BJNY
I just want Apple to include a video card in all the Powermacs that will drive the 30" Cinema display just as the ATI 9700 in the Powerbook 17" 1.67GHz. does.

There is nothing wrong with that!
I think Apple should several of the things recommended on this thread.
Better Video cards, more RAM and bigger drives.
post #178 of 633
Quote:
Originally posted by BJNY

I agree. At least on the high end PowerMac apple should offer this card in the box. It's crazy that on top on the high price of the 30" monitor you have to pay more for the card as well.

I hope Apple will take in consideration all these requests. More RAM, HD, DVD 16x, etc. It's about time and they have to have something better to offer their loyal clients for the prices they are asking for. I know Apple enthusiasts will always buy Apple (including me) but they should offer more bang for the buck with their current line up.
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
post #179 of 633
Quote:
Originally posted by gugy
I agree. At least on the high end PowerMac apple should offer this card in the box. It's crazy that on top on the high price of the 30" monitor you have to pay more for the card as well.

Talk about strange huh.. That was the first thing I thought about when I looked at the 30" display. I was like: "Even if I could afford it right now, it's going to cost me another $600.00 for the damn card to use it." \ They should have had a better option than that. One of Apple's all time stupid moves. Well.. maybe not all time, but it was a stupid move.
onlooker

onlooker

post #180 of 633
It's clear that PowerMacs have a bit of catching up to do.

The queston remains as to how much improvement
we will see in the nearest amount of time.

BTW,

I couldn't help but notice the new Dell 24" HD displays coming
soon for $1199.
Looks very much like a hybrid of the Syncmaster 24" not bad at all.

/http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/global/products/monitors/topics/en/monitor_feature?c=us&cs=RC956904&l=en&s=hied
post #181 of 633
Yah I noticed this lcd too. 12ms response time. 1:1000 contrast, 24" and almost half of the cost than the 23" after rebates (dell is famous for rebates and coupon codes).

I've been telling my friend not to buy a 23" ACD for the last 6 months because of how much LCD prices were going to fall. The 20" 2001fp dell went from 1000 to 500 in that amount of time.

This new display is going to send apple off of their podium big time. Maybe SJ will realize they can't be such bullies with their insane prices on these displays.

Once again I agree with onlooker, The cards should come with built in support for the 30", I bet you more people would buy the 30" display if they didn't have to buy the card.

I think when this first came out it was a matter of cost and demand. They knew they weren't going to be able to keep up with demand in the beginning, so having an extra 600 card you needed to purchase would slow that down. Also it would raise the extra money the spent on R&D.

I agree with their tactics on the powerbook (adding the 64mb ram for 80 bucks to use a 30"). How many people are going to use a 30" on their powerbooks? Not many.

How many are goingn to sue a 30" on a powermac? A lot more than the powerbook users... have an upgrade option that's at the most 50-100 or just have it built in from now on. I have a suspision this will be a built in feature.

Quote:

Quote:

post #182 of 633
Quote:
Well.. maybe not all time, but it was a stupid move.

How can you say that? In the same thread were people complain Apple isn't cutting edge enough, and when they are - you complain about price. I just don't believe it. You can't have it both ways.
post #183 of 633
Hehe

We all bitch a lot.

Quote:

Quote:

post #184 of 633
Quote:
Originally posted by the cool gut
How can you say that? In the same thread were people complain Apple isn't cutting edge enough, and when they are - you complain about price. I just don't believe it. You can't have it both ways.

My bad. You totally have a point. And I knew that right after they announced it, but I just spaced.
onlooker

onlooker

post #185 of 633
Quote:
Hehe

We all bitch a lot.

That's because all this waiting and guessing and frustration
has given us all a big bad case of
Power Mac Syndrome
post #186 of 633
Quote:
Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree
That's because all this waiting and guessing and frustration
has given us all a big bad case of
Power Mac Syndrome

I have got that one bad.

What makes it worse, is I buy computers every four years or so, so it is just not a six month wait it is a very long 4 years in some ways.

We need this now Steve. Bring us to the PowerMacPromiseLand

BZ
post #187 of 633
YEAH TOTALLY! This powermac purchase is going to have to last 4 years, to have it already 8 months old, and to be replaced in the next few months is fustrating. As in theory, we're buying old and outdate hardware- a big no no in the computer world.

I keep saying the same thing here over and over. sorry. last post!
post #188 of 633
My G4/400 has served me for 5 years thanks to some upgrades but the 2xAGP and 100 MHz bus starts to be a limit. Will it take until 2010 until AGP is a limit???

I will skip the G5 and wait for the dual core G6 and PCIe when ever that occur. Both AMD and Intel will soon have dual cores out and they are both working on CPUs that gets more real power as opposed to just MHz. The Centrino at 2 GHz beats a 3.6 GHz P4 so I fully expect the G5 to be out of the race as a high end CPU within a year.

Those dual core IBM CPUs better be good, really really good.
post #189 of 633
Well, I'm convinced that because we haven't seen any Power Mac upgrades yet this year (and they are long overdue), at least when they come it will be a major upgrade - not just incremental.

In the beginning of January I was guessing we would see upgrades (just incremental - up to 2.8, more RAM, HD etc.) sometime in January or beginning of February since Power Mac sales has been stagnating for a while now. But now I've got the feeling Apple is waiting until they can roll out something big, and that it will come out "soon" (probably sometime March). The logic that dictates this is that if they cannot roll out the major upgrade until June or July, they would (should) have most likely rolled out a small upgrade in January in order to keep sales going until Summer.

Anyhow, Apple needs a major upgrade now - the time has passed for just a small one. If they don't deliver, a lot of people are going to be very angry and dissapointed, and form a mob with pitchforks and torches and head to Cupertino (I'll be one of them )

Unfortuantely this whole mess is getting very close to the infamous 500Mhz G4.... This is sad times for the Power Mac line indeed, I hope there is light at the the end of the tunnel and we'll see it soon.
post #190 of 633
Quote:
Unfortuantely this whole mess is getting very close to the infamous 500Mhz G4.... This is sad times for the Power Mac line indeed, I hope there is light at the the end of the tunnel and we'll see it soon.

Bah! Come on man that's pure hyperbole and you know it, I don't think anything was as bad as being stuck at 500Mhz. Don't worry..I think we'll be happy about the next revision.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #191 of 633
Quote:
Originally posted by hmurchison
Bah! Come on man that's pure hyperbole and you know it, I don't think anything was as bad as being stuck at 500Mhz.

It's not as bad yet, but it's getting closer *shivers*...
The Power Mac G5 was introduced in June 2003 (shipped in August 03), and since then all we have seen is a 25% speed increase and that's over a period of more than 1 1/2 years...

Quote:
Don't worry..I think we'll be happy about the next revision.

I hope so
post #192 of 633
Ive been using a my B&W G3/300 for 6 yrs come this may, but with a little help maxing out the ram to a gig helps a lot. It has been serving me fairly well. Its just that the software that is coming out wont run very well or not at all with my machine...and of course it being kinda slow... I am on the upgrade train as well, and just waiting and hoping to a get a dual something-or- other PM when ever the next update comes out...I shall save my pennies and tax return until then..and use my student discount too.

"An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."
"Those who would give up essential liberties to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither." -Ben Franklin
"An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."
"Those who would give up essential liberties to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither." -Ben Franklin
post #193 of 633
Quote:
A MacWorld DC expo would rock!

I'm all for it!

Right across the street from FOSE
/http://www.fose.com/

It would be a very wise move to promote Apple
right in the heart of the nations capitol during the annual
government IT expos.

Security is a major selling point and MS has faltered badly
on that issue.

FOSE is renting a skyscraper ad on the Apple website . . . maybe Apple will have a booth?
post #194 of 633
Quote:
Originally posted by DrBoar
Those dual core IBM CPUs better be good, really really good.

I'll be able to tell you in a couple months . . . I was complaining at work that our old Sun boxen were too old [the computation I was running was taking 77hours to complete] and that we need to replace them.

So I requested a pair of XServes. That was approved, until the higherup tech-biggots replied "can't own Apple".

So, now we have two IBM Power-V systems on the way.*

Not that I'm complaining: it's like saying you need a faster car for pizza delivery and being given an F-18.

* The G5 is a stripped down version of the Power-IV. The Power-V is the next PPC generation derived from the Power-IV, with dual-cores as well.
post #195 of 633
Quote:
Originally posted by hmurchison
Bah! Come on man that's pure hyperbole and you know it, I don't think anything was as bad as being stuck at 500Mhz. Don't worry..I think we'll be happy about the next revision.

I think I would be happier if they actually waited until WWDC. If Apple had a choice before if the update were to be soon, or to be big. I hope they choose BIG, and ready by WWDC.
onlooker

onlooker

post #196 of 633
In another thread or possibly earlier in this one, someone said, "so all we'll get is pukey Antares". This prompts the following three questions:

1. Will a Power5 based PM be automatically dubbed a G6?

2. Would Apple (assuming these Power5 dual cores were ready to go in ample supply as well as mobo redesigned, etc.) upgrade the PM line that quickly?

3. Would "pukey Antares" combined with PCIe, better GPU's, larger HD's satisfy those on this thread with PM syndrome?

(My answers:

1. Yes.
2. No.
3. Only for the short haul.)
post #197 of 633
Hi

I've just been browsing the powermac section of the apple site.

I clicked on Quicktime VR and it took me to the file not found page

http://www.apple.com/hardware/galler...t2003_480.html

So natural i'm being optimistic and thinking this could mean a new case design is coming soon ???

Lets hope
David

www.davidjennings.co.uk
post #198 of 633
no wishfull thinking - maybe its just the uk site that directed me to the 2003 vr page

doh

David
post #199 of 633
Every U.S. retailer nationwide is having a George Washinton's Birthday Sale.

Apparently Apple isn't very fond of using the " S " word
or presidents.

post #200 of 633
Quote:
Every U.S. retailer nationwide is having a George Washinton's Birthday Sale.

Apparently Apple isn't very fond of using the " S " word
or presidents.

not republican ones anyway.
onlooker

onlooker

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › PowerMac - Anyone else waiting?