or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › PowerMac - Anyone else waiting?

PowerMac - Anyone else waiting? - Page 8

post #281 of 633
Yah I had a 9600xt in my powermac. It was a great card and never really had performance issues. The default card was NVIdia 5200 ultra (which I would never buy)... so I upgraded. Looking back I wish I had a 9800xt or 6800gt.. or 9800pro (289.00).

As far as other technologies, I don't see a lot going into the next rev. I don't expect anything big until next year, especially things coming off of this board. But like I said, you should wait.

What graphics card is in your powerbook? How much ram? I was going to get one of the new 1.5ghz with 5400rpm drive, 512ram and the 9700ati. I figured the 9700 would be sufficient... but there may not be a big difference between yours and the 9700?

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

Quote:

post #282 of 633
Emig647, there are plenty of number crunchers on these forums that can tell you everything you need to know about the difference in the 1.25 GHz PB and the one you want. As for the videocard, I can't tell you what model number it is, and it doesn't matter to me anyway because it's all built in and can't be switched out anyway, this laptop is doomed to be what it is right now. I have one GB of RAM in it. I'd have more if they didn't charge a arm and a leg for 1GB sticks of ram for a PB. Lots of people own older PB's and they'll tell you that they love them and that there's nothing wrong with them. Of course, they don't hold them to the same standards I hold mine to.

As it is, I doubt I'll ever buy another PB because this one has shown me that it's all about what a laptop looks like for Apple, rather than what a laptop actually performs like. What's the point of owning a ferrari if you put a golfcart engine in it? Sure, it looks great, and will eventually (provided you're far more patient than I am) get you to wherever you want to go, but it's certainly underwhelming in performance, just like my 1.25 GHz PB.

As for PowerMac's, I am going overseas soon to a place I'm going to be for a rather long time and I assure you, there isn't an Apple store there. So I'm going to have to get my Mom to buy one when the new update comes out so I can have one when I'm over there. It just sucks that it takes so long for Apple to roll these things out.
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
post #283 of 633
Well you just 100% talked me out of buying a powerbook. Now I'm on the bandwagon for a g5 powermac.

Your machine has a ati 9600... which isn't much slower than a 9700 in the ones today. So basically the only difference between yours and todays is a 5400rpm drive and a 256bit graphics card... and a little speed bump in cpu... being that you have 1 gig of ram I am NOT going to buy one now.

As far as apple having long rollout times, I think its ibm's fault... not being able to produce high yields of faster processors. I think it will happen eventually, when better processes are formed... but until then we'll have to bear with these horrible turn around times.

Since I don't have a mac, I'm going to get a mac mini to hold me over till the new powermacs come out.

Quote:

Quote:

post #284 of 633
Quote:
Originally posted by emig647
Even if 3ghz is the upgrade speed I still don't see Jobs announcing the powermacs at wwdc. It would still be a minor upgrade even if they did add Hypertransport2, PC4200 DDR2, PCI-Express, new case.

This I disagree on a bit. Lets face it Hypertransport2, PCI express, DDR2 are all things that impact the performance of the machine. Well maybe not DDR2, but bandwidth can be very important to developers.

It is pretty much a given that Apple has to support PCI-Express soon if they expect to be taken seriously by developers. It is either that or they have to deliver new technology for GPU interfacing. Developer will be very interested in that because it will shw them that there is a future on the platform. Right now the PowerMac is a dead end!
Quote:

If all of this came in the new powermac it still wouldn't be significant enough for the developers. You MUST remember this IS a Developer show, not a consumer show. Announcing at other shows would be much better publicity. The products at WWDC must intrigue developers... the g5 was introduced there because it introduced 64bit programming to the mac.

While developers are indeed interested in things that normal users are not, they still have to believe in the platform. Beyond that enough new software technology is already in the works that the developer meeting will be very interesting. In fact I suspect that the venues will be packed.
Quote:

Just my opinion. I think we're at least a year away from a MAJOR upgrade... which will be dual core.

Well Apple can't wait a year for dual core technology, by that time AMD will be shipping mother boards supporting 8 cores and 4 cores cheap. As to the PowerMac upgrade, I suspect it will come just a bit before WWDC. The reason being that WWDC will focus on the latest OS/X release. Further I expect that new mac to support dual cores and SMT in some manner.

Dave
post #285 of 633
I agree with all except the last part...

I don't think OS X will be the major focus of the next WWDC because it was last year. They had HUGE tapestries hanging in the lobbies... almost every session had to do with tiger's new abilities, if they focused on Tiger again then it would be a complete repeat of last years WWDC, something that no one is going to pay 1500 again to go see.

Quote:

Quote:

post #286 of 633
Quote:

Just my opinion. I think we're at least a year away from a MAJOR upgrade... which will be dual core.

Well, Morpheus thinks Antares is ready to roll.

Quote:
I don't think OS X will be the major focus of the next WWDC because it was last year

What will the focus be? You are saying no Powerbook G5, no Powermac, no OS X.
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
post #287 of 633
Murk, It would be far better to hear that Antares chips were already in Apple's hands and running down the assembly lines. Who wants to bet that the computers will be late yet again?
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
post #288 of 633
Everyone seems to think WWDC is a place for new product rollouts... Well developers don't pay 1500 a ticket to see steve jobs announce a few new products. They pay to get trained, very rigorous training in 5-6 days time. Every session last year was focused on Tiger development... If they do that again this year then it would be a complete waste.

Just because they don't announce something at WWDC doesn't mean that can't be the focus... IE PCI-Express and how to take advantage of it. IE iPod SDK... (just a thought). IE Core Technologies. There could be hundreds of things apple can focus WWDC on without being redundant (spelling is bad I know).

Either way, I'm sure they will have sessions on parts of tiger, but it won't be as stressed as last year. It seemed every single session I went to for development had some ties with tiger. It won't be this intense this year.

Perhaps apple doesn't even know what they are going to talk about this year... it could be in the plans right now.

Quote:

Quote:

post #289 of 633
Originally posted by wizard69
Right now the PowerMac is a dead end!
A lot of people don't want to buy a PM because they are waiting for PCI-E replacing AGP. 3GHz is just a nice-to-have. PCI-E is a must-have!

Well Apple can't wait a year for dual core technology, by that time AMD will be shipping mother boards supporting 8 cores and 4 cores cheap.!

Cheap as Apple defines cheap or cheap as the PC market defines cheap?
I think my cheap is not your cheap
post #290 of 633
I still fail to see why PCI-E is a MUST HAVE right now... or 6 months down the road. Its like comparing AGP 4x to AGP 8x at this point. Since no apps take advantage of the dual communications

Quote:

Quote:

post #291 of 633
Quote:
Everyone seems to think WWDC is a place for new product rollouts... Well developers don't pay 1500 a ticket to see steve jobs announce a few new products. They pay to get trained.

I cut it off there, but it's perfectly put.
Even though they all pay for the training I think Apple tries to announce stuff there as kind of a bonus to developers. Keynotes are cool as h3ll.
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

post #292 of 633
Quote:
Originally posted by onlooker
I cut it off there, but it's perfectly put.
Even though they all pay for the training I think Apple tries to announce stuff there as kind of a bonus to developers. Keynotes are cool as h3ll.

WWDC has been the place to professional products announcements for the last 3 years or more (PM G5, Powerbooks, displays,etc.). Is perfectly acceptable to expect that to happen again. Apple every 6 months or less use these stages to announce new stuff. (MWSF, WWDC and Paris Expo). So why not now?
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
post #293 of 633
Quote:
I still fail to see why PCI-E is a MUST HAVE right now... or 6 months down the road. Its like comparing AGP 4x to AGP 8x at this point. Since no apps take advantage of the dual communications

exactly. How much real-world difference will pci-e make immediately?
post #294 of 633
It isn't so much that pci-e isn't relevant today, it's the fact that it's a significant change in video that will shape your purchasing decisions well into the future. If you have a great and powerful Power Mac and just want to upgrade to a new videocard it sure would be nice if the video cards offered were compatible with your PM. If AGP is out in regard to PC's in general I don't see ATI and NVIDIA keeping them around much longer, I buy things based upon "possible" needs in the future. We don't know what goodies Apple has in store for us five to seven years down the road, but in most cases, the PM you purchase today, will still be on your desk then. So supporting changes in architecture are important. I have a FW800 port on my PB because I thought that someday it's possible FW400 could shuffle off it's mortal coil, so-to-speak, and who knows, that could have happened faster than it seems to be going. When I get a new PM, it's got to be a speed demon. I don't care how they make it a speed demon. But it must be a speed demon. And while the current dual 2.0's are fun to play with and I never noticed any lag time, who's to say that AGP videocards will even be offered five years from now? Therefore, I wait for the new releases that are taking way too long to get here.
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
post #295 of 633
Quote:
Originally posted by murk
Well, Morpheus thinks Antares is ready to roll.

What are you talking about ?
post #296 of 633
Quote:
Originally posted by dirk gently
exactly. How much real-world difference will pci-e make immediately?

Not everyone buys a new PM every year. So the question is what will be the difference in a year or two. I got a fw800 device 1&1/2 years after I bought a fw800 mac.
We had the very same discussion when AGP came out. Ask those with a PCI mobo how happy they were to buy a Radeon 7000 PCI at the price of a Radeon 8500 AGP.
I wasn't
And you don't think the same will happen with AGP/PCI-E?
post #297 of 633
I'll bite that in 2+ years it will be hard to get an AGP card that is modern... but before that time span I dont' see any significance to the upgrade cycle for a graphics card anyways.

Quote:

Quote:

post #298 of 633
As far as we know Apple's use of PCI-E will replace the 8X AGP with 16X PCI-E
at least that's what they use in p/c workstations.

In answer to SLI and dual core graphics,
Has anyone else considered a possibility of X32 PCI-E
It that even possible? Just curious.

I tried to think what else might be reasonably possible at WWDC.

One nifty item that might get a bit of attention would be true 64 bit
audio production capabilities.
I'm reminded of a fairly recent thread where Apple trademarked "ProBand"

We also haven't yet see Asteroid and there could be more than one incarnation. X2 I/O, X8, X12 or better.
We do know that a fully compatible breakout box would be highly
desirable.

We know that Apple has a few display quality issues to deal with
and still don't know how they might address the popularity
of HDTV.

We should also keep in mind that the license for Microsoft Office
is reaching term and there may be something up their sleeves in
that department as an improvement to iWork. Maybe iWork Pro.

Games? No clue.

One thing is for sure, that the longer they keep us in suspense
the more we're going to expect of them.

Let's hope it starts with dual core.
post #299 of 633
Quote:
I'll bite that in 2+ years it will be hard to get an AGP card that is modern... but before that time span I dont' see any significance to the upgrade cycle for a graphics card anyways.

But I don't think anyone is going to be making any new AGP cards aside from what they may have from leftover parts/stock.
Being that all major application developers are aware of PCI-E, (and SLI) I think (I would hope) they are gearing up their applications for it where they can.
Every new PC is going to be shipping with PCI-E shortly, if they all are not already. By the look of all new motherboards, and PC's, manufacturers are saying PCI-E is ready now.
PC dominance is where trends are being set now a days, and they are all ready for PCI-E. That is what tells all (intelligent) major developers where they need to update their efforts. I'm sure it's already being worked on by all major application developers.
It would be a mistake to watch another PowerMac revision roll out without PCI-E. This system would be passed on by the majority of PowerMac users, and new buyers for sure.
Putting only an AGP slot in a PowerMac revision is like soldering the graphics card to it's motherboard. That machine would have no possible future. I think that would be a huge mistake on Apples part.
onlooker

onlooker

post #300 of 633
Graphics card manufacturers aren't going to drop AGP card development in the next 2 years... there are WAY too many computers out there with AGP right now. That would be a mistake on Nvidia's and ATI's parts. There is such a large market for people that will have computers for the next 2-3 years with those AGP slots. If they don't develop further they are losing horrible amounts of cash.

So saying that having agp in the next revision is like having a soldered graphics card... its not. There will be new agp cards released in the next 1-2 years for macs as well as PCs.

Also not all pc manufacturers are shipping with PCI-E, infact a smaller percentage are than not. Go look at HP, Dell, Gateway etc websites. Look at the configs on their desktops... 8 out of 10 are still agp based. This doesn't mean this won't change in the next few months, i'm sure it will. But for one... AMD boards are JUST NOW getting PCI-Express slots on them. Intel was the creator of PCI-E.. or not? Maybe they were just the first to adopt it. But they have had PCI-E intel boards for about 3-4 months now. NOt a very long time at all.

The technology is still young, there was a time when agp was young and pci was still being used... we're at the same time between agp and pci-e. Just as pci cards were made for a few years following agp, agp cards will be made for a few years following pci-e.

Quote:

Quote:

post #301 of 633
Quote:
Actually the last update cycle took 11 months. The machines were announced (the original g5) the first week of july (at wwdc) and updated last year (rev b g5) the first week of june... almost exactly 11 months. Them adding a dual 1.8 to the line up 4 months into the announcement doesn't make it a refresh.

???
6/2004
11/2003
6/2003
1/2003
8/2002
1/2002

From http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

From top down I see 7mo., 5mo., 5mo., 5mo., 7mo.
Or June 2004, November 2004, June 2003, January 2003, August 2002, and January 2002. Where did you get 11 months? Maybe between major revisions but, this wait has been 8 months without even a minor update. I think that WWDC will be muy major!

OK I can read now, you are questioning the 11/2003 announcement of the 1.8. I can buy that.
Please consider throwing extra cycles at better understanding Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (CJD), ALS, and Parkinson's disease go here <a href="http://folding.stanford.edu/" target="_blank">http://folding....
Please consider throwing extra cycles at better understanding Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (CJD), ALS, and Parkinson's disease go here <a href="http://folding.stanford.edu/" target="_blank">http://folding....
post #302 of 633
Quote:
Originally posted by Brendon
OK I can read now, you are questioning the 11/2003 announcement of the 1.8. I can buy that.

Exactly

Quote:

Quote:

post #303 of 633
One thing I'd like to see Apple pull off is immediate availability. It seems like they have a trend of announcing a product, and then saying, "Oh well, it's nice to dream about, but you can't have it for months." I think Apple needs to seriously work on their logistics and make sure that when they announce a prodduct, that it's actually available then. I have a few friends that are Mac Switchers and they are still waiting on their Mac Mini's. It was my understanding that Apple started doing their own press releases and events so they would be able to be more flexible with delivery dates rather than the fixed schedule of Mac shows. If that was the case, they have seriously fallen short.

I have the cash to drop right now on a fully decked out system, forget plastic. I'm just disappointed that it's going to be around June before Apple can get its act together and get us some new PM's.
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
post #304 of 633
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Green
I have the cash to drop right now on a fully decked out system, forget plastic. I'm just disappointed that it's going to be around June before Apple can get its act together and get us some new PM's.

I think It's funny. Your not the only one who is ready, but nobody is truely sure when they'll come out. It's interesting to go back through all the PM threads and look at what everybody expects to see, or predicts to see. Obviously no one knows but Apple, but there are quite a few different opinions as to what people think will, and wont be ready in the next update. My one prediction is that because there are so many different predictions on the subject that someone was bound to be right. I myself have no idea. I just know what it would take for me to buy one.
onlooker

onlooker

post #305 of 633
Reading through the combined Mac user forums sends a very clear message to Apple letting them know what is expected based on the
technology that is available.

All we can do now is hold on and see what happens.
post #306 of 633
Quote:
Originally posted by smalM
Right now the PowerMac is a dead end!
A lot of people don't want to buy a PM because they are waiting for PCI-E replacing AGP. 3GHz is just a nice-to-have. PCI-E is a must-have!

Exactly! For any tower type applications especially in the price range Apple plays in PCI-Express is mandatory. The only possible exception would be Hypertrasport right into a Nvidia Graphics subsystem. That would only be likely at the low end though.
Quote:

Well Apple can't wait a year for dual core technology, by that time AMD will be shipping mother boards supporting 8 cores and 4 cores cheap.!

Cheap as Apple defines cheap or cheap as the PC market defines cheap?
I think my cheap is not your cheap

I suspect in a few short months we will be buying PC's with 4 cores for the price of a SMP board today. The first few months will have a premium but that won't last long -- well atleast on the PC side of the aisle.

Note:
Beyond the need for Apple to have PCI-Express there is a huge need for them to get in touch with their customers and reconfigure the PowerMac. I believe that Apple can do this because they did an excellent job with the MINI. In effect that current PowerMac is a woefully underspecd machine barely able to meet customer demands.

Dave
post #307 of 633
Quote:

I suspect in a few short months we will be buying PC's with 4 cores for the price of a SMP board today. The first few months will have a premium but that won't last long -- well atleast on the PC side of the aisle.

Note:
Beyond the need for Apple to have PCI-Express there is a huge need for them to get in touch with their customers and reconfigure the PowerMac. I believe that Apple can do this because they did an excellent job with the MINI. In effect that current PowerMac is a woefully underspecd machine barely able to meet customer demands.

Dave

I have to agree with that completely. The demands have also become so varied. As I was going through the forums, and looking at everyones predictions, I noticed there are wide varying degrees of what users need out of the next PowerMac. It strengthened my belief that there should be more than one PowerMac in todays marketplace, and a wider variety of configurations.
onlooker

onlooker

post #308 of 633
Quote:
In effect that current PowerMac is a woefully underspecd machine barely able to meet customer demands.

Fluff. These are exactly the type of statements that I hear from Mac users who run glorified super internet surf boxes.

The Powermac was never meant to be everything a person needs "out the box" It's a platform that you build and add the components necessary to complete your task. I really have to laugh everytime I read something like this because I'm reminded of just how many people I come across on a daily basis that are doing "wonderful" things with G4s no less. The people that have the time to spout off about how the current Powermacs are so inadequate are almost invariably the ones not getting anything substantial done.

Onlooker's plight (lack of high end) 3D cards is the "only" excuse I'll personally accept as Quadros and FireGL boards aren't available. Other than that there's not much you cannot do on a Powermac.

Try again people.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #309 of 633

Hmmmm not too freakin bad for a computer that hasn't been updated in 8 months. People stop pissing on our legs and telling us it's raining. The Powermac is fine and the next lineup "will" have PCI Express. I'm positive just because the time is right.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #310 of 633
Quote:
Exactly! For any tower type applications especially in the price range Apple plays in PCI-Express is mandatory. The only possible exception would be Hypertrasport right into a Nvidia Graphics subsystem. That would only be likely at the low end though.

Currently, for graphics, PCI-E is nothing but a bullet point on the feature list -- there is no performance benefit.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...0/pcie-04.html

The rest of the system may benefit if you're doing high bandwidth work, but currently AGP 4x provides sufficient bandwidth for the tasks at hand and we've got double that. Latency doesn't improve with PCI-E, either. The major gain is bandwidth from the GPU back to the CPU, and that is only interesting if your GPU isn't busy with the graphics (Apple is pushing CoreImage in this direction though which may imply that PCI-E and Tiger will come fairly close together).
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
post #311 of 633
Quote:

You suspect wrong,

Starting production on the chips won't even start until august - september (at the earliest) for BOTH amd and intel. This accordingn to THEIR road maps. I guarantee these chips will be outrageously overpriced the first year - year and half. Along with the mobo's being overpriced. Amd's will come down a lot quicker than Intels. Just look at intel's p4's! 800 for a 3.8ghz!? are you kidding me? $450 for a 3.6ghz!? They ask insane prices for simple chips now, I can't imagine what they will ask when dual core comes out.

I always notice its the same people bitching about speed, yet I have never been handed any REAL WORLD proof about speed losses from these individuals. Just some stupid benchmarks that don't even have ANYTHING TO DO WITH REAL WORLD USE! It gets really tiring trying to defend something that I have personally used along with hundreds of thousands of other people.

As hmurchison said: "Fluff. These are exactly the type of statements that I hear from Mac users who run glorified super internet surf boxes."

I've been on record saying onlooker is right about professional graphics cards, but the argument stops there. There is NOTHING WRONG with the current line up of machines except hte price being 8 months old.

Quote:

Quote:

post #312 of 633
Quote:

As hmurchison said: "Fluff. These are exactly the type of statements that I hear from Mac users who run glorified super internet surf boxes."

I've been on record saying onlooker is right about professional graphics cards, but the argument stops there. There is NOTHING WRONG with the current line up of machines except hte price being 8 months old.

Agreed, the current machines are fine albeit the for mentioned lack of professional graphic cards. The speed issue that people have if not in their mind is the OS, I still dont think OSX is optimized enough (for my taste) for the G5. I still see The Spinny Wheel of Death on regular bases and I want to shoot the finder out of Canon along with Hunter S. Thompsons remains.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #313 of 633
Quote:

I guarantee these chips will be outrageously overpriced the first year - year and half. Along with the mobo's being overpriced. Amd's will come down a lot quicker than Intels.

Actually the AMD Mobo's will be cheaper much quicker than you anticipated.
The current nForce4 (according to nvidia) should be able to use AMD's dual core processors when they are released. AMD were working closely with Nvidia when they designed their board.
But the chips... I have no doubt about that, I imagine they'll try and mark them up for as long as possible. The Opteron 252 is new, and pretty damn expensive.

As for the PowerMac, there are varying degrees of user needs, and I'm just not sure the one size fit's all approach is the best option anymore. Not with all the options available in the form of lesser expensive, but yet full featured workstations that are available in the PC, and also the options available to those that have greater demands.
There are Two motherboards available in the PowerMac right now, but they don't have the processor drop down any more. You used to be able to switch processors on the fly from the Apple store. Anyone remember that? It made choosing what you wanted, and then deciding what was important, and what you could discard, and live without for a while so much easier IMO. I believe processor constraints are to blame for that though.
onlooker

onlooker

post #314 of 633
Quote:
Originally posted by Relic
I still dont think OSX is optimized enough (for my taste) for the G5.

well that's why Tiger is coming around. A bit of ram goes a long way though. After I'm logged in for a couple days, basically my whole system stays wired in my ram and it launches extremely fast. actually, i'm not expert so maybe OS X doesnt do that, but obviously there's some sort of caching going on.
post #315 of 633
It's already March, so hopefully we won't be waiting too much longer.

Sometimes it's easy to understand why ignorance is bliss
post #316 of 633
Quote:
Originally posted by Relic
... and I want to shoot the finder out of Canon along with Hunter S. Thompsons remains.

That guy couldn't go out in any better way

As far as NForce4 mobos, thats really cool. But the cpu's will still cost a lot... especially intel.

Quote:

Quote:

post #317 of 633
opinion/speculation question for the group regarding future powermacs and potential performance with FCP... I have some associates who are thinking about swithing from PC video editing to FCP...

I was just at the Crossgates Mall Applestore, and was playing with a dual 2.5 and a mess of HD files they had on board, doing some silly things in Motion (which I had never used before) I was flored by the performance... FLORED. I understand that this app is the first to really show the potential of core video. Now granted, i was on a workstation using a 30" display (which I will own, amazing...) and the high end video card, with a box running 2.5 gigs of RAM, so it was an optimal situation, but my PC using friends who are all about video/compositing in AE on there Dual Xeons... there mouths were on the floor. They said they have never seen anything like this on any platform (from a performance standpoint at least) and couldnt stop talking about it all night. At one point we had like 12 layers of HD doing crazy stuff, and everything was real time all the time.

All that being said, here's the question that I need opinions on. The rumor is, FCP 5 will be fully Core Video enabled like Motion is. What has kept my friends using PC hardware are the relativly cheap boards from Canapus (sp?) and the like that completly take out all rendering from there video workflow. (not just preview but final render is instant as well, at least with DV). Would FCP 5 running with no special hardware potentialy give this same level of performance if it is using a high end video card? What I hear from these editors is FCP's realtime effects are on preview only, but final renders are much slower than there systems which eleminate these renders... I wonder how well a dual 2.8 (dual core or whatever) loaded up with goodies will do in the render department? Any wild speculations appreciated!
post #318 of 633
hmurchison

Thank you. I too get tired of people lamenting how woefully slow the dual G5's are. This is pure rubbish depending on what needs you may have. The dual G5's still outperform more expensive hardware in some tasks.
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
post #319 of 633
Quote:
The rumor is, FCP 5 will be fully Core Video enabled like Motion is. What has kept my friends using PC hardware are the relativly cheap boards from Canapus (sp?) and the like that completly take out all rendering from there video workflow

I'm getting the feeling that FCP will have seriously improved effect support due to Core Image/Video. The audio support will be improved due to QT7. Here's the really tantalizing stuff though. I just read that Motion is like a "proof of concept" technology for Shake. Honestly Apple hasn't really tweaked Shake all that much but NAB 2005 next month may change that. Ummmm Shake compositing at the speed of Core Image/Video is a wonderful thought.

As for the rendering Apple doesn't like hardware if they don't need it. One of the most requested features is background rendering and I think Apple will have this as well as improved Xgrid/Qmaster support. I don't think editors mind working with lower resolution proxies but when they're done they don't want extended render times to see the final result.

I'm REALLY hoping Apple doesn't wait until WWDC to update the Powermacs. I won't be buying one but I want to see the new OS and video stuff running on the fasted Mac hardware possible.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #320 of 633
Man I have a lot to say that is really positive, but I just got back from the store with Star Wars Republic Commando, and I'm going to go kick some freaking online ass!
onlooker

onlooker

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › PowerMac - Anyone else waiting?