or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › PowerMac - Anyone else waiting?

PowerMac - Anyone else waiting? - Page 12

post #441 of 633
heh i know but hey i know i sux at writing.I just don't write alot and the same with math.I was great at math but now after 5 years being out of shool and working in xmas trees i just don't use it hardly it all.
post #442 of 633
Being that it's March 20th (first day of spring in the US), and WWDC is now only about 2 months, and 2 weeks away. Does anyone else want to give any PowerMac predictions for the show?
I would start a WWDC thread, but I figure it's not that far now, and IBM, and Apple want to make up for missing the 3GHz mark for the developers last year.

Anyone care to try?

My prediction on the previous page still stands for me.
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

post #443 of 633
My predictions for WWDC is a new PBG5. I think we will see updated PM's with tiger release on apple bday... Certainly no inside info, just wishfull thinking.
post #444 of 633
Quote:
Originally posted by mikenap
My predictions for WWDC is a new PBG5. I think we will see updated PM's with tiger release on apple bday... Certainly no inside info, just wishfull thinking.

I agree. I hope you're right.

Speaking about inside info...Mac Mall sure thinks they have inside info!

Talk about yer bait 'n' switch. Here's hoping they've got premature specification fever!
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #445 of 633
did you click the ad? what did it say?
post #446 of 633
Quote:
Originally posted by wwwork
did you click the ad? what did it say?

It just takes you to the MacMall Power Mac G5 page.
post #447 of 633
I expected the Dual core 970 based on the Power4 to be called a G5. If Apple stays true that Power4 based processors are G5's, and G6 processors are based on the Power5 they may have a dual core 9xx (980 maybe) based on the Power5 with a OMC which would rock!

Thanks for the heads up on that article.
onlooker

onlooker

post #448 of 633
Watching "The Incredibles" on DVD for the first time on my 7 year old G3 tower gives me great hope that Apple will give us the whole buffalo.
post #449 of 633
I just went to MacRumors to see if that was a fake, and as I was looking at the forums at a post saying nice Photoshop job I saw this in the upper corner.
The only photoshop in mine was the arrow. (And the smiley face.)

Mine is really blurry though, but the add is at the site nonetheless. Probably a typo.
onlooker

onlooker

post #450 of 633
They're probably doing that to get you to click on the link.
post #451 of 633
Quote:
Originally posted by the cool gut
They're probably doing that to get you to click on the link.

Oh it has to be a bait and switch tactic. Awful one at that. Some poor unsuspecting soul *might* actually believe they have inside knowledge!

This must explain why after new products are released, they still mail out catalogs with the old products in them.
post #452 of 633
crap crap crap...

My work is FINALLY looking to buy new hardware (im on a G4 733MHz from 2001 as we speak) and they just got some data together to probably buy a mini HD production workstation (buying 2 x FX1 Sony HD cams, a 23 or 30inch HD monitor, and a top end dual G5 with all bells n whistles).

Im trying to stall as much as possible without them looking elsewhere for a solution (Dell for example)

COME ON APPLE COME OUT WITH FRIGGEN GOODS ALREADY!!! WE GOT CASH TO BURN ON YA!!!
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
post #453 of 633
and btw

while I was configuring the Powermac to max it out I noticed there is a few things that are really missing:

No Dual Layer DVD-R
No 400GB HD options
No SCSI options (neither HD nor expansion)

And RAM prices are just silly. But then again, thats always been that way

Why does Apple have to wait for a whole new revision for things like this? Ngggghhh... agggraaaavvaaaatttiiing
post #454 of 633
Because now they are making the "most" profit off of the 250GB hard drive and Superdrive options. This is the time where Apple is making loot on their hardware sales..the end of the products life. Going out in a blaze of profits.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #455 of 633
Quote:
Originally posted by ZO
and btw

while I was configuring the Powermac to max it out I noticed there is a few things that are really missing:

No Dual Layer DVD-R

Don't have one of these on hand? Does it have to be in the Mac?
Quote:
No 400GB HD options

I would do all HD and RAM purchases off-line, buy the minimum and then get what you need from NewEgg, or a Mac vendor of your liking. If you are doing the buying this is easy all you need is lead time to ship from the vendor then you and a calendar can figure out how to have all parts show up within the same week, or maybe trickle in the small parts prior to the big parts showing up.
Quote:
No SCSI options (neither HD nor expansion)

Maybe a solution would be to go with an Apple RAID storage solution, just one off, no need for a rack, but if you want one for protection then visit your local guitar shop they should have the small racks that bands use for their equipment, same size I think that the RAID is 6U just get a 12U box then you can add when you want it, you will need a fibre channel board for the Mac BTW.
Quote:

And RAM prices are just silly. But then again, thats always been that way

Why does Apple have to wait for a whole new revision for things like this? Ngggghhh... agggraaaavvaaaatttiiing

Please consider throwing extra cycles at better understanding Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (CJD), ALS, and Parkinson's disease go here <a href="http://folding.stanford.edu/" target="_blank">http://folding....
Please consider throwing extra cycles at better understanding Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (CJD), ALS, and Parkinson's disease go here <a href="http://folding.stanford.edu/" target="_blank">http://folding....
post #456 of 633
I have to agree, that if you can not wait, then I would go RAID.

Honestly if a pair of 250 HD's doesn't cover your work load, then
you're into external storage anyway.

Most of us here are in the same boat as far as ready to buy,
just hanging in there so we know more about our alternatives.
post #457 of 633
they can make all the silly profits they want from "old" components, but it shouldnt have to be that companys like mine who have to get things in one go and arent very flexible with buying lots of "extra" stuff later, should have to wait once a year for standard extra compnents...

if a 250GB drive is 60$ more... it doesnt mean that they can't at a later date just keep the 60$ for a 250GB option and then a, say, 150$ option for a 400GB drive...

same with the Dual Layer.

Just friggen give the option on some of this stuff!
post #458 of 633
ZO that would make far to much sense for a company like Apple.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #459 of 633
OWC has IBM/Hitachi 400GB HD's for $329.00 each.

Plug and play and they have controller cards as well.
post #460 of 633
Quote:
Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree
OWC has IBM/Hitachi 400GB HD's for $329.00 each.

Plug and play and they have controller cards as well.

You can also probably find them for cheaper than that in sundays bargain, and coupon adds from CompUSA, OfficeMAX, and Staples. I see great deals from those 3 every week. DealMac always has some great bargains posted daily as well.
onlooker

onlooker

post #461 of 633
Quote:
Originally posted by onlooker
I expected the Dual core 970 based on the Power4 to be called a G5. If Apple stays true that Power4 based processors are G5's, and G6 processors are based on the Power5 they may have a dual core 9xx (980 maybe) based on the Power5 with a OMC which would rock!

Er... uh... isn't 2 years a little short for the life of a generation? (G5) But hey - I'm hoping you're right.
post #462 of 633
2 years how do you figure? The G5 will live on eMacs, iMacs iBooks, and Mac Mini's for at least few years. After the G4 came out the G3 was still in half the lineup until right before the introduction of the G5. G5's life would be far from over, but continually developed.
onlooker

onlooker

post #463 of 633
G5 announced in June '03 - actually less than 2 years. The machines you mention - alas - are just blips on my radar.

But they can bury the G5 (in its current incarnation at least) any time they want - no problem here.
post #464 of 633
I still hope that a lower clocked Power4 based 970 dual core series ends up going into the iMac, mini and PowerBooks,
while the Power5 becomes the new standard for the PowerMacs.

I guess this all depends on how aggressive Apple will be in order to
stay competitive with AMD and Intel.

I could care less what they label the next revision as long as we get
the Power5 double nickel in 2005

One positive thing we have going for us now is SJ's affiliation
with Pixar.

I can't imagine any better way to learn what the serious A/V pros
need to stay on the cutting edge.

Hopefully, Pixar's engineers, artists and technicians have also voiced
similar requests for major improvements and we will benefit from their
needs.

Necessity being the mother of invention.
post #465 of 633
My problem with that is from what I hear Pixar, as great as they are, still uses these ancient animation tools with no Inverse kinematics, and they live forever on similar old products and techniques. What the hell is that all abut? I mean I know Steve Jobs has been living on the Beach Boys, The Beatles, and Dylan for 600 years, but come on man. Nostalgia and competitive computer products, and applications don't belong in the same sentence in the consumer, pro-sumer world. You know what I mean?
onlooker

onlooker

post #466 of 633
Quote:
My problem with that is from what I hear Pixar, as great as they are, still uses these ancient animation tools with no Inverse kinematics, and they live forever on similar old products and techniques.

Good animators don't like and don't use Inverse Kinematics, because the interpolation made by the computer is robotic !!

They only use Inverse Kinematics to make the key position of the character with sticking the foot on the floor. But NEVER in interpolation.

The good animation software is to make easier using by the animator, not try to replace the animator, like most the animation software propose !

PIXAR is the most advanced character animation company, far behind the others (look at the acting of the characters in The Incredibles).

post #467 of 633
Quote:
Originally posted by steph
Good animators don't like and don't use Inverse Kinematics, because the interpolation made by the computer is robotic !!

They only use Inverse Kinematics to make the key position of the character with sticking the foot on the floor. But NEVER in interpolation.

The good animation software is to make easier using by the animator, not try to replace the animator, like most the animation software propose !

PIXAR is the most advanced character animation company, far behind the others (look at the acting of the characters in The Incredibles).

I know more good animators than I know what to do with. IK is standard in my package because if you use IK (and you need to today) there is no need for standard joint tools without IK because it's primarily the same tool.
If I could be sure what it is you were trying to say I'd reply more, but some things just are not making sense.
Quote:
(look at the acting of the characters in The Incredibles).

I have to say the incredibles is by far their worst animation job as far as acting timing is concerned. This is the first Pixar film (that I have noticed) the timing was all off during key parts of the movie during speaking parts. Most noticeable with Frozo looking for his super suit. Trust me. Pixar is not advanced. They just make better movies.
onlooker

onlooker

post #468 of 633
Quote:
I know more good animators than I know what to do with. IK is standard in my package because if you use IK (and you need to today) there is no need for standard joint tools without IK because it's primarily the same tool.

You can work on the key position with IK but interpolate with IK is BAD !
Interpolate with IK is non-realistic !

By the way what is your package (Maya, 3DS, XSI, Lightwave ...).

PIXAR has their own package !

One more thing, good animators made key frame (on character) almost each frame (12 fps).

And for "The Incredibles", I never seen any other computer animation with an acting at this level
post #469 of 633
dual core G5s

G5+
G5(2) (squared)
G5dc
Bi5

somehow Apple's gonna have to distinguish Dual Core machines given that almost inevitably they will offer single cores for a while still.

unless even iMacs will have DCG5s or something...
post #470 of 633
Quote:
Originally posted by steph
You can work on the key position with IK but interpolate with IK is BAD !
Interpolate with IK is non-realistic !

By the way what is your package (Maya, 3DS, XSI, Lightwave ...).

PIXAR has their own package !

One more thing, good animators made key frame (on character) almost each frame (12 fps).

And for "The Incredibles", I never seen any other computer animation with an acting at this level

I guess you've never seen the lord of the rings trilogy.

You obviously need to (get out more) experience more.
If you want to talk about Pixars animation package you should start a thread in the Applications forum.
Let's keep the topic on PowerMacs shall we.

Quote:
Originally posted by ZO
dual core G5s

G5+
G5(2) (squared)
G5dc
Bi5

somehow Apple's gonna have to distinguish Dual Core machines given that almost inevitably they will offer single cores for a while still.

unless even iMacs will have DCG5s or something...

Zo is that a prediction or a wish list? I think it's a pretty good guess nonetheless.
onlooker

onlooker

post #471 of 633
Quote:
Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree
I still hope that a lower clocked Power4 based 970 dual core series ends up going into the iMac, mini and PowerBooks,
while the Power5 becomes the new standard for the PowerMacs.

I just received my Power5 machines! [Dual Core 1.65GHz]

Soooo psyched to put these babies together . . . it's like Christmass.

I'll see about posting some benchmarks next week: maybe some task comparisons between UltraSparc64, Pentium4, and the Power5 . . . .
post #472 of 633
Quote:
Zo is that a prediction or a wish list? I think it's a pretty good guess nonetheless.

I think it's a marketing "how the heck do you distinguish between single and dual-core CPUs".

I like the G5^2, for print, but it doesn't work for audio. I think they'd have to rev and call it G6 [or Power5, if that is what it is].
post #473 of 633
its just some ramblings...

I imagine the Apple will come out with something slick... or inane... like G5-Deux or Super-Duper-Double-G5 or ... maybe I'll shut up

post #474 of 633
Introducing The New PowerMac G5 Orgasmic....Because Multiples Are Always Better Than One. (- ;
ArtisticEvolution.com
Step Through My Doorway, Into Another World!
ArtisticEvolution.com
Step Through My Doorway, Into Another World!
post #475 of 633
G5-Extreme? (like Airport extreme?)

Hope Springs Eternal,

Mandricard
AppleOutsider
Hope Springs Eternal,
Mandricard
AppleOutsider
Hope Springs Eternal,
Mandricard
AppleOutsider
post #476 of 633
Quote:
Originally posted by G520incher
Introducing The New PowerMac G5 Orgasmic....Because Multiples Are Always Better Than One. (- ;

Ok, the Multiple Coregasm definitely wins!

Even funnier, given your handle
post #477 of 633
Quote:
Originally posted by dumpster_d
Ok, the Multiple Coregasm definitely wins!

Even funnier, given your handle

Multiple Coregasm is brilliant !
onlooker

onlooker

post #478 of 633
Apple is usually quite boring with their nomenclature. At least recently. ("iMac G5", "Mac mini", how fancy are those?). I fully expect them to name the new single dual core PowerMacs (now wait for this!) 'Dual G5' and the dual dual core machines 'Quad G5'.

Let's face it, whatever the name, it will be boring.

If we're lucky they'll start calling them 'G6', but that's as far as it will go. \
post #479 of 633
I'd love to see a PowerMac G6 available by custom order with chassis'
anodized in deep cobalt blue, black, gunmetal grey and standard aluminum.

My favorite would be a chassis in polished aluminum with
a few rotary brushed accents.

Welcome To The Machine

I can't wait to see the G6 QuadraBeast
post #480 of 633
68 days until WWDC, but AI says Tiger has been submitted for Final candidate. NAB is in 19 days, and Apple has 2 booths. Maybe well see something there. Probably not Tiger, or the PM, but hopefully other softwares like Shake 4, Motion 2, FCP HD 5. It's highly unlikely that we'll see any hardware released at NAB (national association of broadcasters), but something wicked this way comes as they say.
onlooker

onlooker

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › PowerMac - Anyone else waiting?