or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Is this really happening in America?

Is this really happening in America? - Page 2

post #41 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cuilla
What did you find upsetting about it?

It encapsulated what is the true message of Christ and what it isn't. A glimpse of what is and what never could be.

Like you've been listening to bad cover versions by Karaoke pub singers and you suddenly hear the real thing but you can't ever find what it was and the more you try to find it again all you can ever get is American Idol.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #42 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius
I read this article earlier today about Christians in Iceland. May or may not be relevant.

I found it upsetting.

In Minnesota they call that your basic thoughtful disposition of a caring and civilized world . . . and they too tend to be Lutheran . . . . hmmm . . .

Well, I am of the belief that the temperment is first and the 'religion' merely fills the surface area . . .
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #43 of 52
I think that author doesn't know a lot of Christians in the US.
post #44 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
I think that author doesn't know a lot of Christians in the US.

Well, he says as much.

But...let's be clear...let's not jump to the conclusion that all Christians in America are the antithesis of that article.
post #45 of 52
Quote:
Well, he says as much.

But...let's be clear...let's not jump to the conclusion that all Christians in America are the antithesis of that article.

But all those who are outspoken definitely are. Where are the Christians who actively protest the pro-war, anti-everything false Christians that dominate the US political scene? Just to say they're there isn't enough. They have every responsibility to do something about the problem of oppressive fundamentalism, too, otherwise it's not beyond reson that they'll be accused of accepting those fundies.
post #46 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by tonton
But all those who are outspoken definitely are. Where are the Christians who actively protest the pro-war, anti-everything false Christians that dominate the US political scene? Just to say they're there isn't enough. They have every responsibility to do something about the problem of oppressive fundamentalism, too, otherwise it's not beyond reson that they'll be accused of accepting those fundies.

They are here. You're just not paying attention. Might I suggest that your single minded focus doesn't server you well?
post #47 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
They are here. You're just not paying attention. Might I suggest that your single minded focus doesn't server you well?

Yes, I'm horribly afraid Scott's actually right on this - there are a few floating about....
post #48 of 52
Quote:
I think you are missing the point. It isn't so much about the 47 years (which I think everyone agrees is silly and unlikely to happen). It is the getting arrested and charged, period. In the end it won't matter if they get no formal punishment at all. The "chilling" factor that can be created by arresting someone for reasonably (even if offensively) excerising their consitutional right...on the public square. While attending a taxpayer funded (or partially so) event.

You can exercise all your disruptive/offensive behavior you want - but don't be surprised when the police arrest you.

I don't see what is so shocking about anything like that.
post #49 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by PeePeeSee
You can exercise all your disruptive/offensive behavior you want - but don't be surprised when the police arrest you.

I don't see what is so shocking about anything like that.

Oh right...I forgot that clause...

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech (unless said speech is disruptive or offensive or politically incorrect), or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."
post #50 of 52
Quote:
Oh right...I forgot that clause...

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech (unless said speech is disruptive or offensive or politically incorrect), or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

Free speech and starting a fight/disrupting a peaceful event in a public setting are different things. You think that they were arrested JUST because they were saying something - but I tend to think that they were probably a little more than "vocal" and I put it in quotes because who really knows what happened.

Yes I know there is video - edited video.

Police don't TEND to just arrest people for voicing their opinions in such a setting even if they obviously conflict, and I honestly have to believe they almost never arrest typical church going peaceful types. That's why I think it's not that surprising.
post #51 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by PeePeeSee
Free speech and starting a fight/disrupting a peaceful event in a public setting are different things.

This is correct. You are further correct in stating that we don't know the entirety of the story...only 2nd and 3rd hand (or more) reports.

Yet, there is a consistent report that it wasn't the arrestees that started the confrontation...but instead the "Pink Angels" (or whatever they call themselves). They got physically confrontational (surrounding the protesters).

Now, don't assume I condone the tactics of the Repent America folks. I don't. I don't consider it a very effective approach of evangelism. But my feelings about the message or the mode are not reallt relevant.

It is also important to remember that this was a taxpayer-funded event that was taking place in a public area. The protesters had as much right to be there as anyone else (no matter how unwelcome they might be).
post #52 of 52
So, Scott, do you actively inform your fundie friends that they're full of shit? I do. Have converted quite a few to liberal Christianity. But my girlfriend is the queen of this. She's actually started a liberal Christian group that is having a major effect.

Hats off to Fellows and Segovius, by the way. They definitely do their part.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Is this really happening in America?