or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Sistani aide assassinated

Sistani aide assassinated

post #1 of 5
This is bad news.

If something doesn't happen soon then it's going to be all-out civil war.

Now we will see what Sistani is made of. He will undoubtedly call for restraint and peace but someone is stoking up the Shi'i/Sunni tensions and it won't be easy to keep the lid on things.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #2 of 5
How long can the Shia hold out before they fall into the trap and start to retaliate? When they do, we will have an all out civil war.
"A more sensitive and caring Common man for 2005"
"A more sensitive and caring Common man for 2005"
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally posted by Common Man
How long can the Shia hold out before they fall into the trap and start to retaliate? When they do, we will have an all out civil war.

I'm inclined to agree. I'd say they will hold off until the elections - if they fail (which they will) then all parties might conclude that there is nothing to lose.
post #4 of 5
I listened to a good NPR story in which an Army commander on the ground said that they tried to balance all Iraqi squads ethnically so it didn't seem like an US/Shi'a v. Sunni war but that that impression was spreading anyway.

I sincerely hope these elections work out well and pacify many of those who are not currently pacified. Violence rarely solves anything and I don't know what the insurgents think they are buying themselves now except more misery for their beleaguered nation.
proud resident of a failed state
proud resident of a failed state
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally posted by groverat
. Violence rarely solves anything and I don't know what the insurgents think they are buying themselves now except more misery for their beleaguered nation.

You are right, violence rarely solves anything, but unfortunately there is a lot of examples around the world showing that many people do not understand that.

This is really depressing
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Sistani aide assassinated