or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Judge rules evolution theory stickers unconstitutional

Judge rules evolution theory stickers unconstitutional - Page 9

post #321 of 325
Quote:
Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah
The study of mitochondrial DNA decay depends on the fact that DNA doesn't stay intact. It would be impossible to make this kind of research happen without it. Mitochondrial DNA mutates by generation and so it's useful for dating genetic differences and even speciation.

It's been very useful in the study of human history; it suggests an African origin for our species and that the San people of Southern Africa are the most genetically ancient people on Earth. It can be used to put a date on the emigration of the first people out of Africa and our progress around the planet and it can be used to date the moment our branch separated from our closest living relatives.

Now that I've cleared up your scientific misapprehension, any chance you might answer the question in detail? I note the Chris Cullia ignored it altogether.

Hmmm, that's was just my first response. When I start hearing millions of years I think 'millions of years of replication errors -- how did they pull that off? I don't want to argue about this in general because there's too much 'blue sky' there. Apparently they have ancient DNA to look at? I think it's theorizing upon theorizing upon theorizing. On mtDNA specificaly, there are specific assumptions on the mutation rate.

Apparently we are 5,000,000 years away from the chimp(?). How do you get a rate of favorable mutations that won't kill off the chimp line? What really puzzles me is that you cannot have just one mutation, they must come in sets due to the fact that DNA information is layered in how it's uncoded, so that one bit holds the information for this, that, and the other thing -- and very different features of it's host, at that. It just sounds miraculous --- and not just once, but billions of times. Old Earth, Young Earth I just don't see you can make that work, the same random mechanism having success, producing irreducilby complex creature in many cases...Anyway, let's not do this. The previous response was just the first thing that popped in my head.

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

post #322 of 325

DMZ - exactly how much research into evolution have you done that consisted of reading and analyzing actual Scientific articles and papers, and didn't come from "the Creationists strawmans guide to refuting Evolution"?

for instance - Do you know off the top of your head. A couple of simple easy questions that anyone who has seriously looked at the theory would know.

On average, what percentage of mutations are a)harmful b)inert c)favourable ?

How many mutations exist on average in a normal human being from what the genome should be, and what is actually observed?
post #323 of 325
We are not going to do this, MarkUK. (at least not today -- I'm in the primate house today, and it's not my turn to hold the whip and chair)

post #324 of 325
Just as I thought,

It would have been quicker for you to give the answers than write out that sentance.

you seem to be fond of big type lately, its a bit immature but what the hell.

Dont worry folks, ignore DMZ's rubuttals on evolution, he hasn't a clue what it is anyway

But hey, some of us knew that already.....

and especially for you...

post #325 of 325
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
We are not going to do this, MarkUK. (at least not today -- I'm in the primate house today, and it's not my turn to hold the whip and chair)

There's another thing I've noticed with you fundies as well.

Every single one of ya seems to get my name wrong. Seeing what you want to see, no doubt.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Judge rules evolution theory stickers unconstitutional