or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Got my iPod Shuffle

Got my iPod Shuffle - Page 2

post #41 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by YoMaMa
From the iPod shuffle User Guide:

Select Convert higher bitrate songs to 128 kbps AAC for this iPod.

Note:
If this option is selected, songs encoded in AIFF or Apple Lossless format are converted to 128 kbps when transferred to iPod shuffle (the song files in iTunes arent affected). Otherwise, iPod shuffle doesnt play songs encoded in those formats.

BTW, here's the link to download a pdf verion of the user guide:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/ipod/iPodshuffleUG.pdf

That's *exactly* what I was looking for. Thank you!
_ _ _________________________ _ _
smatanovic
smatanovic
post #42 of 127
Youre welcomed smatanovic!

This discussion got me to thinking about my aging 3G, 15GB iPod. I too like to encode my music in a higher bit rate. The problem is my iTunes library has outgrown my iPods capacity which forces me to use playlists and the like to parse out the music I carry with me. Now, Apple has done a great job on this front but I really like the idea of carrying my entire music library with me so Ive been considering purchasing a larger 4G version.

Today when I started researching this topic I got encouraged thinking that this Convert higher bitrate song feature would be available to all iPods and I could postpone purchasing a new iPod a bit longer. Alas, reviewing the new help file accompanying iTunes v4.7.1.30, it appears that this conversion-on-the-fly feature is reserved for the iPod shuffle, only.

I realize this option is not for everyone but I am willing to make the tradeoff, at least temporarily. Anyone understand this feature differently?
post #43 of 127
I too deal with a music collection that doesn't fit my ipod (20 gb 4G) but I don't find it to be too big a problem, as I make sure to listen to new (or less recently played) stuff using smart playlists and a "flavor of the day" playlist that I change every couple of days or so.

Now that I understand how the shuffle works, I think it is the ultimate mp3 player for use in the gym. I was initially only going to pick one up for my wife, but now I think I might get us each one. At $99 there's hardly a reason not to.

thanks again,
SM
smatanovic
smatanovic
post #44 of 127
Agreed

I purchased a shuffle the day they were introduced as a birthday present for a friend and had no real intention/need of augmenting my current 3G. However, as Ive learned and thought about the virtues of the shuffle, I have concluded that its great in its own right and I too will be purchasing one for myself.
post #45 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by D.J. Adequate
It never changes. My wife says, "but isn't your other iPod working?"

And I love my Shure headphones. The only problem is they make everything else sound awful.

There's a trick, my gf said 'you don't need an iPod photo,' I then said 'yes but if i get one I can give you my old one!' That shut her up
post #46 of 127
After 3 weeks waiting I got one.
It's super8)
CubeG4 PL1.2GHz 80GB HD 1,25GB RAM GeForceFX5200 128MB VRAM
and MacBookPro 2,16GHz C2D

http://www.kgurszynski.eu
CubeG4 PL1.2GHz 80GB HD 1,25GB RAM GeForceFX5200 128MB VRAM
and MacBookPro 2,16GHz C2D

http://www.kgurszynski.eu
post #47 of 127
fsck! Still waiting for mine. My status is "On or before go fsck yourself you're going to have to wait".
post #48 of 127
im on or before the 22nd...
::sighs::
I'm perfectly humble and neither are you.
-Dogwood
-Dogwood
post #49 of 127
one must think that they can produce several thousand a day. yet it's been nearly a month now and report of people getting them are few and far between. something sounds wrong. if they have been making several thousand a day for almost a month there should be many many more people with iPod shuffles in hand. and that's assuming they didn't produce any before the announcement. (which is incorrect since they did)
post #50 of 127
I went to my local Apple store yesterday and there was no iPod shuffle in stock. I asked an employee if they knew when they'd come, he said: "I have no idea, sir."

'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
post #51 of 127
I ordered a Gigger and my real status is 2/15.
post #52 of 127
I got one on Tuesday!! There are small deliveries being made in the UK and I managed to order one. Tried to connect it to my GFs dell and after a while it worked brilliantly. Very cool, small and cute. Brilliant and really good price. One thing - will anyone use the lanyard!!!
post #53 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by MacCrazy
I got one on Tuesday!! There are small deliveries being made in the UK and I managed to order one. Tried to connect it to my GFs dell and after a while it worked brilliantly. Very cool, small and cute. Brilliant and really good price. One thing - will anyone use the lanyard!!!

I think you would have to be a bit of a poser to use the lanyard - my lanyard and headpones will never leave the wrapping. I have Sony 71 headphones in white which have a cable designed for remotes, and an extension cable. I just use the short cable as it is long enough to reach the inside pocket in my jacket, ideal! I was ony of the lucky people in the UK who got mine delivered last week
post #54 of 127
Hah. I use my full sized 40GB iPod on a lanyard. It's not about posing. It's about convenient access.
post #55 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by G_Warren
I think you would have to be a bit of a poser to use the lanyard

What would you be posing for, exactly?
-Dogwood
-Dogwood
post #56 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by Asaph
What would you be posing for, exactly?

As in, "Oh, look at me and iPod Shuffle. I'm so COOOOLLLLL!"
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #57 of 127
that can be true for any product, expecially Apple products... they are a huge amount of eye candy, its almost as if anyone who has one and useing it in public is bragging :-P
post #58 of 127
I thought it was spelled "poseur"?
post #59 of 127
it is, but the internet has 1773ed it to poser.
post #60 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by Frugle
it is, but the internet has 1773ed it to poser.

What is 1773ed??
post #61 of 127
hmm, never been to other forums?

with the mass of people playing Counter strike, they have formed their own written language, one in which numbers are used for letters.

1337 is just like saying cool, or "I am awesome".

1337 stands for
LEET which sands for
elite

ever heard someone say 1337 h4X0r? there are sites devoted to translating this language for you ,but I don't konw what they are....google will find them.
post #62 of 127
Poser isn't a new spelling - been around since before the internet - it's in my dictionary which I have longer than i've had a modem!
post #63 of 127
Quote:
Poser isn't a new spelling - been around since before the internet - it's in my dictionary which I have longer than i've had a modem!

Yup.

Poser is just the English translation of the French poseur.

They both have the same connotation.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
post #64 of 127
Quote:

Yea I looked it up and saw both. It seems much cooler my way
post #65 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
Yea I looked it up and saw both. It seems much cooler my way

You mean, the French way?
post #66 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by Gene Clean
You mean, the French way?

I make up for it by only eating freedom snacks at dinner parties.
post #67 of 127
Quote:
I make up for it by only eating freedom snacks at dinner parties.

Before going to dinner parties, you're not free?
post #68 of 127
i bought a 512mb iPod shuffle today. i didn't "need" one, but i got a $75 mail in rebate on it, so it was a no-brainer...
"What does it profit a man to gain the whole world
and suffer the loss of his soul?"
post #69 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by Gene Clean
Before going to dinner parties, you're not free?

I'm free before and after.

BTW fscking Apple shipped my shuffle. They should upgrade me to over night shipping for the wait
post #70 of 127
hooray for the thread getting back on track! sorry for helping with the thread jack. mine is still being made somewhere. that or sitting in it's packaging mocking me from some apple warehouse because they refuse to ship it.
-Dogwood
-Dogwood
post #71 of 127
Quote:
I'm free before and after.

BTW fscking Apple shipped my shuffle. They should upgrade me to over night shipping for the wait

They might do - I'm sure I got overnight delivery. When I ordered it said on or before the 26th (I think) and it arrived bang on the button - the day after they emailed me to say it was dispatched.
post #72 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by mac's girl
i bought a 512mb iPod shuffle today. i didn't "need" one, but i got a $75 mail in rebate on it, so it was a no-brainer...

Holy Cow, how did you work that deal!
post #73 of 127
My 512MB shuffle should be at my door either today or tomorrow
post #74 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by Dale Sorel
My 512MB shuffle should be at my door either today or tomorrow

i've got one in front of me. In the UK resellers are getting small batches and I managed to grab one last week! they're very cool
post #75 of 127
Quote:
They might do - ...

Tuesday. No Shuffle.

1:02 pm Left FedEx Sort Facility_LOS ANGELES CA
10:45 am Pickup status_ONTARIO CA
post #76 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by D.J. Adequate
Holy Cow, how did you work that deal!

a computer store nearby was offering a mail-in-rebate if you buy any ipod AND apply for their store credit card (hey, i can always cancel it later).

i love my new shuffle! it's better than i thought it would be, and i dont miss not having a screen. but i find the slider switch in back a bit hard to move. they should have put a raised finger grip on it.
post #77 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by mac's girl
a computer store nearby was offering a mail-in-rebate if you buy any ipod AND apply for their store credit card (hey, i can always cancel it later).

i love my new shuffle! it's better than i thought it would be, and i dont miss not having a screen. but i find the slider switch in back a bit hard to move. they should have put a raised finger grip on it.

if you hold the iPod shuffle front facing you and use your thumb under the control on the front to grip it you'll find that it's easier to move the slider. you can also turn it over and use the thumb on the top of the shiffle and your finger on the slider. I found it tricky, at first, but if you do it this way I've had no problems.
post #78 of 127
Quote:
Tuesday. No Shuffle.

1:02 pm Left FedEx Sort Facility_LOS ANGELES CA
10:45 am Pickup status_ONTARIO CA

Delivery in the UK must be more efficient. Mine was in the Netherlands the previous night, but arrived the next day.
post #79 of 127
Does anyone feel that the cap is not a good idea for the iPod shuffle?

Wouldn't it be relatively easy for the cap to pop off when it's on the lanyard? thus, you lose the iPod shuffle since it's connected to the cap, and not the string.

???
post #80 of 127
its pretty dang tight, I mean it takes some force to pull it off. and with the shuffle only weighing as much as a pack of gum it is extremely unlikely for it to fall off.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Got my iPod Shuffle