or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Hersh: US ready to go into Iran

Hersh: US ready to go into Iran

post #1 of 31
Reuters story .

Quote:
Hersh quotes one government consultant with close ties to the Pentagon as saying, "The civilians in the Pentagon want to go into Iran and destroy as much of the military infrastructure as possible."

One former high-level intelligence official told The New Yorker, "This is a war against terrorism, and Iraq is just one campaign. The Bush administration is looking at this as a huge war zone. Next, we're going to have the Iranian campaign."

Note also the report of a deal over A Q Khan at the bottom.

Thoughts ?

Is it kicking off -can you take Hersh seriously ?
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #2 of 31
When thinking of Bush sometimes I am glad he can´t run for a third term. And sometimes I am sad because he can fuck up everything without repercussions for anyone else than those who comes in his ways.

Do I think the iranian system is good? No
Do I believe that we always should leave it up to the citizens to oust dictators and repressors? No
But the iranian people "chose" their system in the late 70´s and if anyone tries to change it violently from the outside what will happen to them will make Iraq look like Rumsfeld vision of flowers in the street and open arms.
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #3 of 31
With what army is he supposed to do this? An with what funding?

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

post #4 of 31
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
When thinking of Bush sometimes I am glad he can´t run for a third term. And sometimes I am sad because he can fuck up everything without repercussions for anyone else than those who comes in his ways.

Do I think the iranian system is good? No
Do I believe that we always should leave it up to the citizens to oust dictators and repressors? No
But the iranian people "chose" their system in the late 70´s and if anyone tries to change it violently from the outside what will happen to them will make Iraq look like Rumsfeld vision of flowers in the street and open arms.

Sure, but is it going off or is this FUD ?

I'm hearing something's afoot and we should take this report a bit more seriously but I find it difficult to believe.
post #5 of 31
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz

Finally, we agree on something. I would add with what support, but I don't want to ruin this moment.
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #6 of 31
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz

I dunno - how about all the fanboys who voted him in. They'd obviously want to stand up and be counted if it came to it.
post #7 of 31
I think that we should

1. Invade Iran, break the back of the
religious government, remove nukes,
reinforce secular government.
2. Invade Syria, general ass kicking all round,
remove troops from Lebanon
3. Split off southern Iraq as a new
Shite democratic state
4. Combine Northern Iraq and western Iran to
make a new democratic Kurdish state.
Arm the kurds to the teeth, to stop the
Turks from getting any smart ideas.
5. Combine what is left of Iraq with Syria
to form Persia.
6. Convince the Chineese to invade North Korea,
remove nukes, and hand over the country to
the South Koreans. The Chineese would do this
because it must suck to have Kim Jong Il as
a neighbour.
7. Pepper the whole middle east with armed forces
bases, move all troops there from Europe.
8. Form Japan, Korea, Taiwon, Australia, etc into a
self defense league, so that they are safe from
China, and then pull out all US forces.
9. Support the formation of an African superpower
("Carthage"), which would merge all the itsy bitsy
countries into a single country.
10. Same with South America.

Vote for me!
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #8 of 31
Yeah -- lets just forget the twentieth century even occured while we are at it...
post #9 of 31
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
But the iranian people "chose" their system in the late 70´s

I have to wonder whether they got what they wanted...
post #10 of 31
Quote:
Originally posted by hardeeharhar
Yeah -- lets just forget the twentieth century even occured while we are at it...

Exactly. The 21st century will be very much like
the 19th century.

In the 19th century, the UK ruled the world
and went around doing stuff like this.

It was only the invention of the steam powered
boat that knocked them off their throne. Germany
saw that England's boats were obsolete all of
a sudden, and they had a chance to catch up, which
resulted in an arms race and WW I.

WW II was caused by that imbicile, Woodrow Wilson.
If he had stayed home during WW I, then the war
would have ended in a tie. If he did not really
crush Germany in post-war concessions, then they
would not have started WW II.

So we don't have to worry about 20th century like
stuff for a while - we just need to get our Empire
in order.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #11 of 31
Quote:
Originally posted by hardeeharhar
Finally, we agree on something. I would add with what support, but I don't want to ruin this moment.

Ruin it anyway!

Assuming the Democrats get steamrolled on this (which is increasingly common these days), the Neo-Con architects of the current war would have to face off with the Social Conservatives who won major political capital from the last election.

While I know it's common around here for the two groups to be lumped together by the liberally ignorant, the fact is that the So-Cons cannot be steamrolled like that and major figures like Pat Robertson have already distanced themselves from the Iraq war.

Sego, it must be tough for you to have to depend on the Religious Right to save the day, isn't it?
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #12 of 31
Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnJ
I have to wonder whether they got what they wanted...

God I hope not. But its less than 30 years ago US supported a ruler they probably disliked even more. Its would be like Russia invading Polan of the east block countries ten years from now if it got an autocratic ruler the Polish people didn´t like. Better the devil you know that the large satan...
post #13 of 31
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978

5. Combine what is left of Iraq with Syria
to form Persia.

You do know that the "persians" would probably object?

I'm really having trouble taking your post seriously. Was it a joke?
Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
post #14 of 31
Quote:
Originally posted by New
You do know that the "persians" would probably object?

I'm really having trouble taking your post seriously. Was it a joke?

I thought that Persia was the old name for Iraq...
If not, then change it to Sumeria.

Yes, my post was a joke. Just trying to rile the
democrats. This is how I imagine the Bushites were
thinking before Iraq, like it would be really easy
or something.

I do think that the Kurds deserve their own country,
though.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #15 of 31
Nothings better than an outlandish report based all on anonymous sources.
post #16 of 31
Quote:
Exactly. The 21st century will be very much like
the 19th century.

In the 19th century, the UK ruled the world
and went around doing stuff like this.

Dear God, let's hope that the 21st century isn't like the 19th, or people in the 22nd and 23rd centuries will have to pick up the pieces. Don't forget that the 19th century was, in many ways, an utter wreck for countries like England.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #17 of 31
Quote:
3. Split off southern Iraq as a new Shite democratic state.

If the US has anything to do with its form of "democracy", anyways.
post #18 of 31
Quote:
Originally posted by tonton

If the US has anything to do with its form of "democracy", anyways.

How's your form of "democracy" coming along in Hong Kong?
post #19 of 31
Quote:
I thought that Persia was the old name for Iraq...
If not, then change it to Sumeria.

Yes, my post was a joke. Just trying to rile the
democrats. This is how I imagine the Bushites were
thinking before Iraq, like it would be really easy
or something.

I do think that the Kurds deserve their own country,
though.

I agree.
post #20 of 31
No-one has any thoughts on the veracity of this ?

BBC News is reporting that US special forces are inside Iran now - this diminishes it further for me. The BBC is basically a Blair sponsored outpost of Radio Tel Aviv now.
post #21 of 31
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott

It's complete bullshit and lies. It's a "shite" democracy if ever there was one.

Which is why I'm doing as much as I can about it

And you? How are your efforts to promote democracy in the US coming along? Oh, I forgot, you're promoting the erosion of democracy for the sake of security. Nice.
post #22 of 31
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius
No-one has any thoughts on the veracity of this ?

BBC NewsThe BBC is basically a Blair sponsored outpost of Radio Tel Aviv now.

Ah yes, Radio Tel Aviv, that urban local radio station really is the nexus of media control for Western Europe and the British Isles, they could make you weatherman for S4C at the snap of a finger.

But they won't because I told them to.

Now if you're interested to cover the stock markets for Al-Arabiyah, that's the turf of Galilee Radio as they own the Asia+MidEast area control zone, but if you do just avoid eye contact with that fellow named Hecht.
« Jparle pas aux cons, ça les instruit. »

From Les Tontons Flingueurs

חברים יש רק באגד

חברים יש רק באגד
post #23 of 31
Quote:
Originally posted by Immanuel Goldstein
Ah yes, Radio Tel Aviv, that urban local radio station really is the nexus of media control for Western Europe and the British Isles, they could make you weatherman for S4C at the snap of a finger.

Now if you're interested to cover the stock markets for Al-Arabiyah, that's the turf of Galilee Radio as they own the Asia+MidEast area control zone, but if you do just avoid eye contact with that fellow named Hecht.

Hey, Immanuel I clicked that link but now I'm a bit worried - do you think I might be under surveillance now ?

I applied for that job at S4C as it happens, being Welsh speaking I thought I'd get it but it turns out they didn't like my forecasts. Too realistic they said - too much emphasis on stormy weather ahead.

I asked how I was supposed to forecast continuous sun and glorious conditions when the country was being brought to its knees by the freezing blasts of ignorance but they said that no-one would notice and it was the saying it that mattered not the actuality.

Shame really, I always wanted to point at maps with a stick whilst declaiming to the masses. Guess I'll have to go the dictator route now.....
post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius
Hey, Immanuel I clicked that link but now I'm a bit worried - do you think I might be under surveillance now ?

I think not. Well, not any more than the usual, that is.

Quote:
I applied for that job at S4C as it happens, being Welsh speaking I thought I'd get it but it turns out they didn't like my forecasts. Too realistic they said - too much emphasis on stormy weather ahead.

I asked how I was supposed to forecast continuous sun and glorious conditions when the country was being brought to its knees by the freezing blasts of ignorance but they said that no-one would notice and it was the saying it that mattered not the actuality.

The real reason being:
Quote:
Originally posted by Immanuel Goldstein (in previous message)

Quote:
Shame really, I always wanted to point at maps with a stick whilst declaiming to the masses. Guess I'll have to go the dictator route now.....

One could always have young Bashar sent back to London to tend to the eyes of the upper classes (his real vocation really).
But in that case you'd have to wear uniforms and demand to be addressed as your leadership or some similar formality, the target audience seems to prefer it that way.

חברים יש רק באגד

חברים יש רק באגד
post #25 of 31
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz

the articles says airstrikes. i don't think pilots are scarce

this completely sucks if we invade Iran. nice going bush voters
post #26 of 31
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott

I'm wondering what this had to do with the thread.

And tonton, I'm wondering why you had to respond in kind.

You two kids need to learn how to either play nice or ignore each other.
proud resident of a failed state
post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally posted by groverat
I'm wondering what this had to do with the thread.

He who lives in a glass house ...

You're looking to bully a couple of members aren't you?
post #28 of 31
"Bully" is the wrong word to use. You and tonton are squabbling off-topic in multiple threads. It is not "bullying" for me to notice it and call it out.

I'm being nice. I'm giving you a chance. Take it.
post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz

Congress didn't vote on funding the Iraq war until three weeks after it began. And it never really voted on the war in the first place. Given that the administration can count on ~40% knee-jerk support and surely another 20% rally-round-the-flag support, how hard would it be to ignore Congress altogether and engineer some sort of "crisis"? Once a fait accompli, the funds will be made available.

The Air Force is getting bored these days, and with the hunt for Saddam and WMD over, our SpecOps and light infantry have precious little left to do in Iraq. If I were paranoid, I'd keep an eye on the units planned to go to Iraq as part of the OIF4 rotation, beginning this summer. Interestingly, it looks like that will include the entire 101st AB (and the entire 4th ID).
post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz

It's been stated before...

With the very same army that has been strategically positioned on either side of Iran.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
post #31 of 31
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Hersh: US ready to go into Iran