or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › George's Inauguration

George's Inauguration

post #1 of 43
Anything and everything.

Just been looking at the list of prohibited items. I know some of these have been touched upon in another thread but here's a more complete list.

Banned
Quote:
Firearms, weapons of any kind, ammunition (either real or simulated), explosives of any kind (including fireworks), knives, blades, or sharp objects (of any length), aerosol sprays, coolers, thermal or glass containers, mace, pepper spray, sticks, poles, pocket or hand tools (such as a leatherman), packages, backpacks, large bags, duffel bags, suitcases, laser pointers, posters, signs, placards (including supports structures), animals other than guide dogs or service dogs assisting handicapped individuals, strollers

Beware, killer babies!
Quote:
chairs

Damn. There goes my plan to assasinate George with a banana lounge. Never mind. Plan B.
Quote:
umbrellas

Bugger! Plan C never fails.
Quote:
alcoholic beverages

D'oh!

But wait....there's more!
Quote:
bicycles

Oh we know all about those evil bicyclists
Quote:
papier-mache objects

Sounds French, so definitely banned.
Quote:
displays such as puppets

Sorry addabox, you'll have to leave the Ted Kennedy hand puppet at home.
Quote:
mock coffins

So real coffins are OK?
Quote:
props

I'm in the theatre darlinks, that means "anything".
Quote:
any items determined to be a potential safety hazard

See? Told ya.

As we know, the Eleventh Commandment is:
Thou shalt not bring crucifixes or protest against abortion at George's inauguration.
Quote:
The anti-abortion Christian Defense Coalition, which is also planning a demonstration, has threatened to sue the government because the Secret Service recently added crosses to its list of objects that are banned from the parade route.
"I think it's censorship no matter how you look at it," said the Rev. Patrick Mahoney, director of the defense coalition.

Well Rev. Pat. I'm pro-abortion myself. But I'm with you all the way on this one. Far as I'm concerned, you want to bring a poster along that says "Abortion is murder!", you go for it. You could bring a life sized crucificix illuminated with neon lights with you if I had my say. But George isn't returning my calls. In fact, Rev P, if I lived in the States I'd be happy to get out and protest against you being denied the right to protest. This is what that Voltaire dude was on about isn't it? Yeah!
<Chester and Rev. Pat high 5 each other>

Except they wouldn't let me protest either Rev Pat.

Now what was that definition of terrorism again.....oh yeah
Quote:
The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons.

So how's the old WOT going guys? Winning are you? Preserving your way of life and everything you hold dear?

One last reminder
Quote:
Other instructions given to performers include a warning not to look directly at Bush while passing the presidential reviewing stand, not to look to either side and not to make any sudden movements.

Because you know what they say. Looks can kill.

But Groucho Marx said

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

And anybody with half a brain knows that Groucho was the smartest man who ever lived.
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
post #2 of 43
Bicycles, backpacks, papier-mâché, and puppets?

He's obviously gunning for us liberals...
post #3 of 43
Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnJ
Bicycles, backpacks, papier-mâché, and puppets?

He's obviously gunning for us liberals...

Leave your love life out of this okay?

Love ya Shawn. Mean it.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #4 of 43
First they came for the papier-mâché puppets
and I speak out
because I was not a papier-mâché puppet.
post #5 of 43
I'm really curious about that "don't look him in the eye" thing. Any thoughts as to the rational for that? Does it cause you to turn to stone? Go mad? Burst into flame? Maybe it has something to do with the Nitetzche remark as to how "when you stare into the abyss, it also stares into you".
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #6 of 43
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
First they came for the papier-mâché puppets
and I speak out
because I was not a papier-mâché puppet.

post #7 of 43
Quote:
Originally posted by crazychester
puppets

Bert is evil.
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #8 of 43
Some protest ideas:

What happens if you shave the word "liar" into your head? I guess you might get a free hat as a souvenir? They can't arrest you or remove you from the site, can they? That would be blatant violation of free speech.

What if a group of about 20 protesters stand in an area, separated by about 10 people each, and every minute, on the minute, synchronously shout "liar" at the top of their voice? That should make some impact.
post #9 of 43
Ah Scotty, I'm so glad you picked up on that reference. I stuck it in there especially for you.

Quote:
Originally posted by addabox
I'm really curious about that "don't look him in the eye" thing. Any thoughts as to the rational for that? Does it cause you to turn to stone? Go mad? Burst into flame? Maybe it has something to do with the Nitetzche remark as to how "when you stare into the abyss, it also stares into you".

Yes, this is what I found the weirdest. Bit creepy if you ask me. Maybe he's afraid people will look at things the way they are, and ask why. And you know where that leads.

Or maybe he's afraid people will see not a giant, but a windmill.

Like the head shave idea tonton but it's only got limited exposure potential. Not sure they'd take too kindly to the liar thing. You can take blankets. They'd make a good canvas for a protest message.

But I got a good one for you. No props required and very difficult for them to do anything about. It was used by Aboriginal activists when our loser Prime Minister refused to apologise for the way we've so royally screwed over the indigenous population.

When he gets up to make the big speech, you turn your back on him (stand if sitting). Get enough people (they don't even need to be positioned as a group) and it packs a real wallop. Anyway, I hope some of you over there have been giving the matter some thought.

I was looking at Laura's links earlier. Is it discussed at all in your country how much she looks like The Joker? The resemblance is uncanny.

post #10 of 43
Quote:

I was looking at Laura's links earlier. Is it discussed at all in your country how much she looks like The Joker? The resemblance is uncanny.

[/B]

Gosh, this is frightening
post #11 of 43

Hmmm........
post #12 of 43
Off topic..

Anyone know if there is a patron saint of snipers?
post #13 of 43
Quote:
Originally posted by Zarathustra
Off topic..

Well, now you went and perked up the Secret Service's ears.
post #14 of 43
Quote:
Originally posted by curiousuburb
Bert is evil.

Bart's not papier-mâché - do you think we could take him in ?
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #15 of 43
Quote:
Off topic..

Well if you mean the book repository type sniper, then that would probably be the patron saint of murderers who just happens to be good old Saint Nick (busy guy).

If, on the other hand, you mean the official snipers who will be strategically positioned about the place ready to drop the first sousaphone player or baton twirler who so much as looks sideways at George, then that would be Saint Michael (yes of archangel fame), patron saint of paratroopers, sailors, security forces and swordsmiths. Definitely a heavy hitter that one, I'm sure you'll agree.

Of course, you could have an each way bet and go with Saint Gabriel of the Sorrowful Mother, patron saint of marksmen.

And segovius, if after I hit submit I find that you've got in before me, I will pray to whoever the patron saint of frickin' too smart by half theologians is that you might be on the receiving end of some divine retribution. I'll handle the bizarre peculiarities of the Catholic Church, OK? After being subjected to them for almost two decades, I think it's only fair. Might as well not have been a complete waste of time.

Edit: Looks like you're off the hook. Just as well. And it's Bert you dill. I think he looks distinctly Middle Eastern. Terrorist, if ever I saw one.
post #16 of 43
Quote:
official snipers who will be strategically positioned about the place

a pang of conscience...a single dramatic gesture. I have my fingers crossed.
post #17 of 43
Quote:
a pang of conscience...a single dramatic gesture. I have my fingers crossed.

Are you saying you want Dick Cheney to be President?

Ish.
post #18 of 43
Quote:
Dick Cheney to be President?

OMFG! Those unintended consequences are a real kicker.

two pangs of conscience...a pair of dramatic gestures. I think I may need more than my fingers crossed.
post #19 of 43
I think I am most saddened by the apparent crassness of the pageantry:

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle...storyID=655914

While the FDR example might extreme in one direction. This appears to be extreme in the other. Too bad. Humility seems to be in short supply.
post #20 of 43
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cuilla
I think I am most saddened by the apparent crassness of the pageantry:

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle...storyID=655914

While the FDR example might extreme in one direction. This appears to be extreme in the other. Too bad. Humility seems to be in short supply.

And sense...

Quote:
Washington officials are upset that the federal government has told them to use homeland security grants to pay costs associated with the inauguration. Mayor Anthony Williams estimated the inauguration would cost the cash-strapped city about $17.3 million.

post #21 of 43
Of course every hotel in and around DC is booked for that weekend. It would be interesting to see how much extra in taxes DC gets as a result. Boo hoo for them.
post #22 of 43
Quote:
Are you saying you want Dick Cheney to be President?

Ish.

Redundant....
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #23 of 43
Quote:
Anything and everything.

Better leave the clothes at home this time.
post #24 of 43
http://www.jazzfuneralfordemocracy.com

man, New Orleans is a really cool place!
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #25 of 43
Cool or stupid? How can an inauguration of a duly elected president be the death of democracy?
post #26 of 43
Quote:
Cool or stupid? How can an inauguration of a duly elected president be the death of democracy?

Maybe the "stupid" viewpoint is coming from those who refuse to see anything wrong with the actions of the current admin.... remember, stupid is as stupid does!

Also, let's not forget that being "duly elected" does nothing to guarantee this administration of being free from the abuse of democratic principles, either before, during, or after the actual election process.

"The Jazz Funeral for Democracy is a wake and funeral for the principles upon which America once stood."

Jazz Funeral for Democracy Mission Statement

"The Jazz Funeral for Democracy is a coalition of concerned individuals and groups that oppose the war in Iraq as unconstitutional and undemocratic. Additionally, the coalition aims to raise public awareness of other dangerous national policies designed to curtail civil rights, narrow the interpretation of the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights, widen the divide between the wealthy and the poor, deny equal educational opportunities and health services to millions of Americans, ignore crucial environmental indicators for change, and promote discriminatory practices regarding gender, race, ethnicity, worship, and sexual orientation."
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #27 of 43
Is this the same "war in Iraq" that was authorized by Congress in accordance with the Constitution?

Stupid.
post #28 of 43
40 million blown for a party at tax payer expense. This is our American govt showing its colors.
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
post #29 of 43
Quote:
Originally posted by Aurora
40 million blown for a party at tax payer expense. This is our American govt showing its colors.

It's also a possible 690 Humvees AND a $290 bonus for each soldier serving in Iraq.
post #30 of 43
I don't know what you are all complaining about, I LOVE a good coronation!
proud resident of a failed state
proud resident of a failed state
post #31 of 43
Or how about some armor and a few more troops? Govt loves to piss away our hard earn money and seems to be allways finding bigger and better ways to squander it. Both partys are guilty of this.
post #32 of 43
Quote:
Originally posted by Aurora

Actually, I don't think it is taxpayer money, but private donations. Still a bit lavish.
post #33 of 43
Quote:
Is this the same "war in Iraq" that was authorized by Congress in accordance with the Constitution?

Well I'm not quite sure it was "in accordance with the constitution"...as in it was never an official "declaraion of war" (the U.S. Congress hasn't declared war since WWII)...it was really more of a "yeah, okay...we sort of agree to this"...The President was going to war with or without it (that much should be clear by now). In fact, in regards to this specific action "One Republican member stated that the constitutional requirement that Congress declare war is an anachronism and should no longer be followed." Nice.

President Bush acts as though he has the right to go attack Iraq (or anyone) anytime he wants to. That's false, and very dangerous for our republic. Our founders gave the right to Congress and only to Congress to make the momentous decision of whether to take the United States to war or not. It's all there in Article 1, Section 8, of the U.S. Constitution.

The founders knew that to give the President such power would risk dragging the country and its people into one senseless war after another.

The suggestion that the president should have unilateral power to make war was decisively rejected at the Constitutional Convention of 1787. As delegate Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts put it, he "never expected to hear in a republic a motion to empower the executive alone to make war." Instead, the Framers agreed that Congress would have the power to declare war.

Sadly, since World War II, Presidents have usurped this power of Congress, and Congress has abdicated it. There has not been a Congressional declaration of war since December 1941, though there sure have been plenty of wars since then, most notably Korea, Vietnam, and the Gulf War, but also Panama, Grenada, the Dominican Republic, and myriad other nations the United States has assaulted directly or covertly over the last six decades.

The good old "war powers act"...the first step on a slippery slope.
post #34 of 43
Quote:
Originally posted by FormerLurker

Jazz Funeral for Democracy Mission Statement

"The Jazz Funeral for Democracy is a coalition of concerned individuals and groups that oppose the war in Iraq as unconstitutional and undemocratic.

What exactly would make a war "democratic" I wonder?
post #35 of 43
Quote:
What exactly would make a war "democratic" I wonder?

If the people voted to be invaded ?

Maybe that's Bush's plan, get those diebold machines installed throughout the ME and if at any time a little shock and awe's in order slip it in as an option on the ballot.....

Course you'd have to invade first to get them there but that's a minor detail. Re-writing history has never been a problem so far....
post #36 of 43
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius
If the people voted to be invaded ?

Maybe that's Bush's plan, get those diebold machines installed throughout the ME and if at any time a little shock and awe's in order slip it in as an option on the ballot.....

So...I hope everyone sees the serious dangers of this approach. Democratic war indeed!
post #37 of 43
Quote:
So...I hope everyone sees the serious dangers of this approach. Democratic war indeed!

Traditionally democracies do not launch pre-emptive wars based on lies that are filtered through to a disempowered populace.

In fact, one could argue that such actions have been the sole preserve of totalitarian regimes since the dawn of civilization.

As such, this war actually is undemocratic - in that it was carried out by individuals who have no respect for democracy - as all such wars always are.
post #38 of 43
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius
Traditionally democracies do not launch pre-emptive wars based on lies that are filtered through to a disempowered populace.

In fact, one could argue that such actions have been the sole preserve of totalitarian regimes since the dawn of civilization.

As such, this war actually is undemocratic - in that it was carried out by individuals who have no respect for democracy - as all such wars always are.

I would submit to you that a "democratic" war would be no better. Why is everyone so in love with "democracy"...oh...right...because so few know what it really means.

In this country the founding fathers were trying to prevent EITHER scenario...a really pissed off majority (democracy...tyranny of the majority) or a single tyrant. But we seem to be slowly moving away from those original ideas.

The war powers act and the spinelessness of the U.S Congress have empowered potential tyrants in the executive branch. Disaffection with the outcome of presidential elections will eventually lead to the direct popular election of presidents leading to a tyranical majority electing their tyrant. It is only one-level removed. History shows this more than not.

I have previously (in another thread) cited two classic examples of this...the french revolution and the emergence of Nazi Germany. There are certainly others (though less well known).

The founding fathers of the United States understood their history well. They created (or tried to anyway) a "nation of laws not of men". Perhaps they knew (or at least suspected) the basic corrupt nature of men...deceitful...greedy...lustful for power. So they crippled the government (or tried to anyway). They crippled the ability for any person or faction to establish too much power for too long. Even today, for example, with the Republicans in control of the legislative and executive branches, there are still limits on what they can do...and...they could even feasibly lose that control in 2 years.

EDIT: Another example of how this concern about democracy is embedded into our system of justice is the requirement of a unanimous verdict in criminal cases. This may sound like a contradiction...but it really isn't if you think about it. This requirement prevents a simple majority or, worse, a plurality from convicting a person of a crime. There must be 100% certainty...by all members of the jury. Significantly reducing (though certainly not eliminating) the probability of a miscarriage of justice.

EDIT: An excellent read...http://www.libertyhaven.com/politics...dtyranny.shtml
post #39 of 43
Identify with more than a few of those articles there, Chris?
post #40 of 43
Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnJ
Identify with more than a few of those articles there, Chris?

Huh?

I only read the one...and (very) briefly skimmed around the rest of the site.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › George's Inauguration