or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Say, remember terror alerts?

Say, remember terror alerts?

post #1 of 9
You may recall (well, some of you may recall) that in 6 months prior to the 04 election there seemed to be a lot of action on the terror alert front. As in every couple of weeks Ridge or Ashcroft would grimly remind us that the there was "credible evidence" of an "imminent attack" somewhere, somehow, not sure of the particulars, but rest assure that only George Bush's steadfast stewardship stood between the American people and Hideous Death.

Flash forward, post election: poof! I guess the terrorist were so demoralized by Bush's reelection they closed up shop, cause all that fear mongering abruptly ceased! In fact, the almost nearly probable attacks on the very Fabric of Our Democracy by terrorists seeking to , you know, undermine our electoral system have been declared null and void by Mr. Ridge hisself:

Quote:
Nine months later, the threat level has been lowered, and Ridge, speaking at a news conference last week, said there is no evidence of a plot to disrupt President Bush's inauguration. Previous warnings, Ridge explained, stemmed from threat reports tied to the elections -- not to the inauguration more than two months later.

Huh. Go figure. Seem to recall that suggesting at the time that terror alerts were being used as a political tool by the Bush admin made the right go all red in the face indignant at the very idea that anyone could be so cynical and hateful as to imply that the pres would play fast and loose with his sacred duty to protect us from the bad guys.

Of course, recent history has taught us that being a "conservative" in America today means you get to be wrong over and over again without accountability, with the exciting added benefit of getting self-righteously indignant every time anybody tries to remind you of your track record.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #2 of 9
Sure, the alerts "stemmed from threat reports tied to the elections" . . . directly tied to the elections . . . in fact, 'resulting from the elections' is what he meant to say . . . from the election committees that is.
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #3 of 9
Is anyone realy suprised? Whats worse is that, do to the political manipulations, people are going to begin to disregard it altogether. Did Bush ever hear of the "Little boy who cried wolf"?
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox
Of course, recent history has taught us that being a "conservative" in America today means you get to be wrong over and over again without accountability, with the exciting added benefit of getting self-righteously indignant every time anybody tries to remind you of your track record.

hehe, i really like how you said that.
I think I think...therefore, I think I am.

We get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more...
I think I think...therefore, I think I am.

We get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more...
post #5 of 9
That's it mister addabox I'm raising your terror level for a whole week...no buts about it!
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #6 of 9
Boston terror threat probed

By Tom Farmer and Michele McPhee
Wednesday, January 19, 2005

"Federal and state authorities are investigating a nuclear terrorist threat against Boston after a man calling from Mexico told California police that he smuggled two Iraqis and four Chinese over the border, the Boston Herald has learned. "

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRe...rticleid=64303
"A more sensitive and caring Common man for 2005"
"A more sensitive and caring Common man for 2005"
post #7 of 9
Hey, I'm in boston RIGHT NOW, woo.
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally posted by Common Man
Boston terror threat probed

By Tom Farmer and Michele McPhee
Wednesday, January 19, 2005

"Federal and state authorities are investigating a nuclear terrorist threat against Boston after a man calling from Mexico told California police that he smuggled two Iraqis and four Chinese over the border, the Boston Herald has learned. "

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRe...rticleid=64303

Which is why the Homeland Security has raised the terror alert level and made a national issue of.....oh, wait:

Quote:
FBI spokeswoman Gail Marcinkiewicz said the terror alert had not been raised for Boston.

``Basically, what you have here is information that we often get,'' she said. ``It's been passed on to our law enforcement partners and we're working it aggressively.''
post #9 of 9
BBC News has got more on the story.

Quote:
Police and FBI agents in Massachusetts were issued with photographs of two men and two women wanted in connection with an "unspecified threat".

Earlier on Wednesday US TV networks reported that agents with radiological sensors were on patrol in Boston.

Ok - what's with the Chinese terrorists ?
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Say, remember terror alerts?