or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › eMac and PowerBook declared EOL
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

eMac and PowerBook declared EOL - Page 5

post #161 of 316
Quote:
Originally posted by PB
Perhaps it is a CPU (7447B) stock issue and they are waiting Freescale to provide enough of them before they show the new Powerbooks in the online store.

Oh, it is left one hour until 09:00 EST and the Apple Store is still up, so can we start assuming safely that there will be no update today?

Actually it's already past 11:00AM EST so unfortunately the answer is yes.

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply
post #162 of 316
Quote:
Originally posted by 1984
What I meant was the longer Apple puts off this update the more people will think something big is happening. A better question might be:

What features do you expect to see in a PowerBook released in June vs a PowerBook released tomorrow?

By the way, it looks like inventories are being replenished. Does this mean we may have another 5 or 6 months of waiting in store for us?

Let the G5 and Dual-Core G4 speculation begin!

The new PowerBooks we're expecting have 1.67 MHz, DVD±R, bluetooth 2, and slightly larger hard drives (faster - 5400RPM) as well as 128MB GPU in the faster models. Apart from this is there anything else?
post #163 of 316
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by MacCrazy
The new PowerBooks we're expecting have 1.67 MHz, DVD±R, bluetooth 2, and slightly larger hard drives (faster - 5400RPM) as well as 128MB GPU in the faster models. Apart from this is there anything else?

Yup - a release date after 01/25/04 :/
--
My girlfriend thinks I'm curious - that's what I read in her diary
(Unknown)
Reply
--
My girlfriend thinks I'm curious - that's what I read in her diary
(Unknown)
Reply
post #164 of 316
Quote:
Originally posted by 1984
Actually it's already past 11:00AM EST...

Oops, messed up times .

Quote:

so unfortunately the answer is yes.


Game over for today then \ .
post #165 of 316
How hard would it be for Apple to put in a dual-dvi
output in the new powerbook, so that it could
drive the 30" monitor?
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #166 of 316
Quote:
Originally posted by durandal
Yup - a release date after 01/25/04 :/

WELL AFTER THEN. It's 2005
post #167 of 316
it kills me !

every week since the keynote, i have to wait for another week...

at this rate i wanted to order an imac instead but on the store, it is almost the same shipping time than a powerbook for the moment
post #168 of 316
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
How hard would it be for Apple to put in a dual-dvi
output in the new powerbook, so that it could
drive the 30" monitor?

post #169 of 316
Quote:
Originally posted by enzo0511
it kills me !

every week since the keynote, i have to wait for another week...

at this rate i wanted to order an imac instead but on the store, it is almost the same shipping time than a powerbook for the moment

it's like a heavy blow every week. And every week (this is the first for me) I think should I get something else (iMac G5, mac mini) or should I just wait till G5, or buy now?
post #170 of 316
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
How hard would it be for Apple to put in a dual-dvi
output in the new powerbook, so that it could
drive the 30" monitor?

I'll give you a hint. The current graphics card needed to drive the 30" is probably about half the size of the current PBs, and need twice the power.

It's not possible, and won't be for a long time.
post #171 of 316
Quote:
Originally posted by MacCrazy

The new PowerBooks we're expecting have 1.67 MHz, DVD±R, bluetooth 2, and slightly larger hard drives (faster - 5400RPM) as well as 128MB GPU in the faster models. Apart from this is there anything else?

I think that about covers it. I'm just saying the longer we wait the less likely we are to believe these specs are accurate. Right now they are not too bad but imagine the reaction if this is what we get 6 months from now. Yikes!

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply
post #172 of 316
Quote:
Originally posted by MacCrazy

I don't think that it would be that hard.
I bet most of the bulk of the 6800 is because
of fancy 3D stuff.

Video card resolutions have not really changed
that much in the last 10 years - driving
the resolution of the 30" monitor is old
technonogy. I bet they could put it in
the powerbook.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #173 of 316
Quote:
Originally posted by 1984
I think that about covers it. I'm just saying the longer we wait the less likely we are to believe these specs are accurate. Right now they are not too bad but imagine the reaction if this is what we get 6 months from now. Yikes!

Oh come on it's SHIT now! There is only one thing in that list that is not build to order - bluetooth 2, and that's used by what?! (DVD+R as well but that's minor)
post #174 of 316
Quote:
Originally posted by 1984
What I meant was the longer Apple puts off this update the more people will think something big is happening. A better question might be:

What features do you expect to see in a PowerBook released in June vs a PowerBook released tomorrow?

By the way, it looks like inventories are being replenished. Does this mean we may have another 5 or 6 months of waiting in store for us?

Let the G5 and Dual-Core G4 speculation begin!

Ummm... there's a whole 'nother thread on this going ballistic, my main man...
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=49105

Enjoy!
post #175 of 316
Apple Store Sweden just changed estimated shipment time on the whole PB line-up from "within 5 days" to "7 - 10 days".
post #176 of 316
Anybody wonder why the PowerBook section of apple.com still says 'new' PowerBook G4 family?
"Any idiot can make things complicated. It takes a genius to make them simple" -Albert Einstein
Reply
"Any idiot can make things complicated. It takes a genius to make them simple" -Albert Einstein
Reply
post #177 of 316
next week i'll go for an imac G5 if the pb doesn't arrive
post #178 of 316
Quote:
Originally posted by RANSOMED
Anybody wonder why the PowerBook section of apple.com still says 'new' PowerBook G4 family?

to con the unknowing
post #179 of 316
Quote:
Originally posted by RANSOMED
Anybody wonder why the PowerBook section of apple.com still says 'new' PowerBook G4 family?

because they didn't pay attention about this section of their site
post #180 of 316
Quote:
Originally posted by enzo0511
next week i'll go for an imac G5 if the pb doesn't arrive

I might too, iBooks just don't cut it, GPU is pathetic
post #181 of 316
Quote:
Originally posted by MacCrazy
Oh come on it's SHIT now! There is only one thing in that list that is not build to order - bluetooth 2, and that's used by what?! (DVD+R as well but that's minor)

I don't think those specs would be too bad if we got them now (not great) but getting them 6 months from now would be obscene.

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply
post #182 of 316
Quote:
Originally posted by MacCrazy
I might too, iBooks just don't cut it, GPU is pathetic

I think an iBook 12", for portability, and a one-processor Power Mac (just to keep price down) could in some cases fill very well the need for a Powerbook.
post #183 of 316
Quote:
Originally posted by 1984
I don't think those specs would be too bad if we got them now (not great) but getting them 6 months from now would be obscene.

Well if we see this it means they've been spending 8 months doing something but not anything to the current powerbooks, they're not working on the current ones obviously, some future plan.
post #184 of 316
Quote:
Originally posted by PB
I think an iBook 12", for portability, and a one-processor Power Mac (just to keep price down) could in some cases fill very well the need for a Powerbook.

if iMac had better GPU and offered DVI (for presentations) then i would get an iBook and iMac G5. However, when on the road I want more than 1024 x 768 and video out is rubbish on iBooks, mirroring!
post #185 of 316
Quote:
Originally posted by ShallowThroat
I'll give you a hint. The current graphics card needed to drive the 30" is probably about half the size of the current PBs, and need twice the power.

It's not possible, and won't be for a long time.

Actually, 128MB VRAM is more than enough to drive a 30" monitor. Infact, 2560x1600 * 24 bits/pixel * 1 byte/8 bits = 12.3 MB. Since OS X double buffers, that would be 24.6MB plus memory for windows. Conservatively, you could drive the 30" display with a 64MB video card, and perhaps get away with even 32MB video card.

All Apple has to do is put a dual-DVI connector on the PowerBooks and it will work.
post #186 of 316
I can't even begin to express how pissed i'm about not having an update today! Apple is so consumed with the macmini that they placed the powerbook on the backburner. If you look at their site you will see there is no room to waste for the "new" powerbooks..
....... now what...... do I wait or ahhhh who knows
-PowerBook G4 1.67 17"
-iBook 1.33(work)
-iPod Mini 4G
Reply
-PowerBook G4 1.67 17"
-iBook 1.33(work)
-iPod Mini 4G
Reply
post #187 of 316
O.k. so here's a question? Is is at all possible that the announcement will be later today or on a different day then Tuesday?
-PowerBook G4 1.67 17"
-iBook 1.33(work)
-iPod Mini 4G
Reply
-PowerBook G4 1.67 17"
-iBook 1.33(work)
-iPod Mini 4G
Reply
post #188 of 316
Lionel, webmaster of macbidouille just said on his forum that he was announced that the update previously scheduled today was cancelled without any reason


i'm beginning to doubt about this site...
post #189 of 316
Quote:
Originally posted by rayapple
O.k. so here's a question? Is is at all possible that the announcement will be later today or on a different day then Tuesday?

Yes. The last Aluminum PowerBook update took place on a Monday. Going back further the Titanium PowerBook got upgraded with a Superdrive on a Friday. There are exceptions to mystical Tuesdays. I guess this means instead of chanting "Next Tuesday" we should be chanting "Tomorrow" every day until it happens.

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply
post #190 of 316
I think so........ maybe tomorrow
-PowerBook G4 1.67 17"
-iBook 1.33(work)
-iPod Mini 4G
Reply
-PowerBook G4 1.67 17"
-iBook 1.33(work)
-iPod Mini 4G
Reply
post #191 of 316
Quote:
Originally posted by enzo0511
Lionel, webmaster of macbidouille just said on his forum that he was announced that the update previously scheduled today was cancelled without any reason.

Maybe to replace the 4x Superdrives with 8x versions? Better yet, maybe with the Mac mini now shipping with the Matshita 8x Superdrives the PowerBooks will get the Pioneer 8x Superdrives to differentiate them. The Pioneer version has support for dual layer burning and faster CD-RW burning which would be a nice improved spec for a Pro machine.

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply
post #192 of 316
would apple communicate on the ability to burn DL discs ?
post #193 of 316
Let's just hope Apple has the ability to communicate powerbook upgrades
-PowerBook G4 1.67 17"
-iBook 1.33(work)
-iPod Mini 4G
Reply
-PowerBook G4 1.67 17"
-iBook 1.33(work)
-iPod Mini 4G
Reply
post #194 of 316
Quote:
Originally posted by 1984
The Pioneer version has support for dual layer burning and faster CD-RW burning which would be a nice improved spec for a Pro machine.

With the (still) hallucinating pricing of the dual layer media, I see little incentive to do that.
post #195 of 316
Quote:
Originally posted by PB
With the (still) hallucinating pricing of the dual layer media, I see little incentive to do that.

To fit a movie one one disc?

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply
post #196 of 316
it has to come very quick !

before i hate steve jobs more than bush
post #197 of 316
MacBidouille have been (way) wrong before. They're not an especially reliable rumor site.

Quote:
Originally posted by rayapple
Apple is so consumed with the macmini that they placed the powerbook on the backburner.

Apple is a big enough company that they can easily concentrate on more than one product at once.

Nobody promised a release date today in the first place. If Apple had actually planned one (and one does seem imminent) then it could have been held up for any number of legitimate reasons, or perhaps to wait until the fawning over the mini dies down.

At any rate, with shipping times increasing, it's probably coming. Nothing requires Apple to update on a Tuesday.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
Reply
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
Reply
post #198 of 316
I really wouldn't bet on a PB G5 coming out any time soon, simply because of two facts:

1. The mother of all thermal challenges.

2. Apple would deservingly make a HUGE DEAL out of it, and the opportunity for this HUGE DEAL has passed. Anybody remember MacWorld?

So just wait for the next big event. WWDC anyone? (although that smells more like a tiger than a new book to me) 8)
"Any idiot can make things complicated. It takes a genius to make them simple" -Albert Einstein
Reply
"Any idiot can make things complicated. It takes a genius to make them simple" -Albert Einstein
Reply
post #199 of 316
Quote:
Originally posted by RANSOMED
I really wouldn't bet on a PB G5 coming out any time soon, simply because of two facts:

1. The mother of all thermal challenges.

2. Apple would deservingly make a HUGE DEAL out of it, and the opportunity for this HUGE DEAL has passed. Anybody remember MacWorld?

So just wait for the next big event. WWDC anyone? (although that smells more like a tiger than a new book to me) 8)


I think that you will get BOTH at the WWDC!

and it will be huge and just in time for back to school time orders.

post #200 of 316
Quote:
Originally posted by RANSOMED
I really wouldn't bet on a PB G5 coming out any time soon, simply because of two facts:

1. The mother of all thermal challenges.

2. Apple would deservingly make a HUGE DEAL out of it, and the opportunity for this HUGE DEAL has passed. Anybody remember MacWorld?

So just wait for the next big event. WWDC anyone? (although that smells more like a tiger than a new book to me) 8)

We're not expecting a G5 just an update to the dying line! If we get an update people will buy knowing that for at least 6 months their computer is top of the range. (Unless Apple launch a G5 which is thicker along side the current G4s in which case the time scale could be anything!)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › eMac and PowerBook declared EOL