or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Hi

Hi

post #1 of 26
HI guys new member here. Anyways, I'm new to the Mac world
and recently got a refurbished iMac. Well when I go to turn it on, a gray screen pops up and a little icon that looks like a computer with a face shows up. then I cant do anything and it just stays like that. Yes, I'm a newb, please help. Thanks.
Cafe
Cafe
post #2 of 26
Welcome

How long are you leaving it on for? It will do that and if it was shut down improperly, it'll try to fix/tidy up at startup. After a certain amount of time it should boot up normally into the desktop. Try leaving it alone for 5-10 minutes. If it still does nothing, ask us again, there are things you can do.

It's not normal to take long, but if, for example, the power was cut off or the plug was pulled without shutting down, it'll take longer to boot next time.

Is it a happy mac face of does it switch to a sad mac or folder symbol with a question mark on it?

Is the hard drive making any clicking/ticking noises or is it silent.
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
post #3 of 26
wow that was fast. It's a happy Mac face, but nothings happened yet. It's kinda silent but makes like a fan sounding noise. THanks for the reply, hoping the face goes away.
Cafe
Cafe
post #4 of 26
If it's silent, it's probably just hung and not actually fixing anything. The tapping would mean the hard drive is busy reading/writing stuff, chances are it's crashed.

So...

Describe the physical iMac. What kind is it, if you know. In general.
Do you know which operating system it's supposed to have on it? I mean did you ever see it running?
Did it come with the operating system CDs?
post #5 of 26
I would say it's about 3 years old. It's red, Dunno what else, I'm a newbie.
no cds, don't know what system it came with, sorry. still nothing yet.
Cafe
Cafe
post #6 of 26
I don't now much but by the sounds of it he has one of the origenal IMac's you now the G3 line wich would at best mean it would have Mac os 9 or 8.

but thats just a gess and don't forget i am still a PC user and hoping to convert once i have sold this PC

but it might speed things up a bit.
On one hot summers day a man sat under a tree, just then a small apple feel from that tree, and from that humble little apple, gravity was born to all men.

Isaac Newton (1642 - 1727)
On one hot summers day a man sat under a tree, just then a small apple feel from that tree, and from that humble little apple, gravity was born to all men.

Isaac Newton (1642 - 1727)
post #7 of 26
Hm, no system CDs makes it considerably harder to fix.

Might want to at least power it off (hold the power button in until it shuts off).

Then, turn it on again but hold the Shift key down for like 30 seconds or so, see if it gets any further.

(Macs load "extensions" at startup and sometimes they make the Mac hang. Shift bypasses them, and lets you boot up without them, long enough to get in and figure out what went wrong.)
post #8 of 26
This time i held shift dwn, but it still went to happy mac face screen.
Cafe
Cafe
post #9 of 26
did it again and folder with question mark came up.
Cafe
Cafe
post #10 of 26
Who'd you buy it from? Refurbished should still come with install CDs.

Edit:

Ok, if a folder with a question mark came up, try turning the power off like before. Then turn it on again but this time hold:

Command + Option + Shift + Delete keys at the same time and hold it for 30 seconds or so, see if it gets further.

"Command" meaning the "Apple" key next to the spacebar.

Might want to practice holding all 4 keys down before powering on. Yes it's awkward. That key combination causes the mac to look for a valid startup disk.

Hm, beyond that I can't really think of anything else to do.

But I'm sure other members here can chime in with help.
post #11 of 26
My girlfriends firm downgraded to dells. And they were giving away their macs.
Cafe
Cafe
post #12 of 26
See above again, I updated it.

Anyway it's not a lost cause, but you might need to get some install discs from ebay or something.
post #13 of 26
hmm. same screen, ?mark folder.
Cafe
Cafe
post #14 of 26
As with a PC if you lose the Windows installer CD, not having the Mac OS installer CD makes it tougher to really fix things.

Wait a bit and someone else might help you here
post #15 of 26
Thanks, bump.
Cafe
Cafe
post #16 of 26
I got into the open firmware screen, anything in there that would help me?
Cafe
Cafe
post #17 of 26
Try this

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
3. Turn on the computer.
4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
6. Release the keys.

It will reset the pram.......if you get it to start after this and you get the mac folder with a question mark. Let it start up, and then you need to make sure you choose a start-up disc.
I see being an "AAAAA" Hole is some peoples life long dream...nice to see they can succeed!!!
I see being an "AAAAA" Hole is some peoples life long dream...nice to see they can succeed!!!
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally posted by Cafe
My girlfriends firm downgraded to dells. And they were giving away their macs.

Have they got any more!?
post #19 of 26
I'm beging to think a cd may be trapped inside, and the computer is trying to load it, but i cant get the cd out, and it wont let me put one in.
Cafe
Cafe
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally posted by Guartho
Have they got any more!?

I don't think so. I've had it for like 7 months now, but i recently moved, so it's been siting in a box.
Cafe
Cafe
post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally posted by Cafe
I'm beging to think a cd may be trapped inside, and the computer is trying to load it, but i cant get the cd out, and it wont let me put one in.

Is it a slot or tray loading? Actually, that doesn't matter for what I'm about to tell you, just narrowing down your model.

Try restarting it with the mouse button held down. This should make it eject. If you hear an unholy noise, than it's trying to eject and it is indeed stuck.
post #22 of 26
Damn, nope just happy mac. Im firmware i typed eject cd and
got device was unable to open eject cd. so i dont know whats up.
Cafe
Cafe
post #23 of 26
Hold down the shift key on start up..if remember right in OS 9 that turns off the extentions. It may be hanging on one of them.

1. Restart, and hold the Shift key down until you see the message "Welcome to Macintosh -- Extensions Off", then release the Shift key.
post #24 of 26
Cafe
Cafe
post #25 of 26
post #26 of 26
guess i gotta start looking for some disks?
Cafe
Cafe
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Hi