or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mac OS X 10.3.8

Apple releases Mac OS X 10.3.8

post #1 of 106
i havent even installed it yet, but its there.
post #2 of 106
Not seeing it. Odd.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #3 of 106
It seems not to be up on SWUpdate but first on their support website!
<http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...pdate1038.html>
<http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/>
post #4 of 106
Apple releases maintenance update to Mac OS X 10.3 "Panther" operating system.

Apple on Wednesday afternoon released both Mac OS X 10.3.8 and Mac OS X Server 10.3.8.

According to Apple documents, a list of enhancements delivered by the Mac OS X 10.3.8 Client Update include: improved OpenGL technology and updated ATI and NVIDIA graphics drivers; improved file sharing and directory services for mixed Mac and PC networks; improved compatibility for third party applications and devices; and previous standalone security updates.

Meanwhile, key updates to Mac OS X 10.3.8 Server include: improved reliability of Open Directory replication and PDC authentication; more reliable binding to Active Directory domains; improved compatibility for third party applications and devices; and previous standalone security updates.

Both updates are recommended for all users. The updates weigh in at 27.7MB and 27MB for the client and server editions, respectively. At press time, Apple had posted the software packages to its Web site, but had yet to distribute the releases through its Mac OS X Software Update mechanism.
post #5 of 106
For the guinea pigs:

Unplug external drives
Repair permissions before the update
Repair permissions after the update
...and then tell us how WoW plays.

Screed
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
post #6 of 106
Yeah, i don't see it in the Update window.

But I am d/l'ing it right now on my iBook off the listed website above.

Eric
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #7 of 106
Works fine here ...

... just repairing permissions right now after the update!
post #8 of 106
Code:

Determining correct file permissions.
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util. New permissions are 33261
We are using a special uid for the file or directory ./private/var/at/jobs. New uid is 1
We are using a special uid for the file or directory ./private/var/at/spool. New uid is 1
The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume
post #9 of 106
Quote:
Originally posted by BNOYHTUAWB
Code:

Determining correct file permissions.
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util. New permissions are 33261
We are using a special uid for the file or directory ./private/var/at/jobs. New uid is 1
We are using a special uid for the file or directory ./private/var/at/spool. New uid is 1
The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume

Seen this before - don't have the link at hand, but IIRC this is something Apple knows and that's not considered serious...
--
My girlfriend thinks I'm curious - that's what I read in her diary
(Unknown)
--
My girlfriend thinks I'm curious - that's what I read in her diary
(Unknown)
post #10 of 106
Quote:
Originally posted by durandal
Seen this before - don't have the link at hand, but IIRC this is something Apple knows and that's not considered serious...

Yes, it has been around for quite some time, but I have no idea if it is something to be concerned about.
post #11 of 106
WTF? I didn't think I'm that much of a Mac newbie. But what is "repair permissions?"
Apple SexBots powered by Intel
Apple SexBots powered by Intel
post #12 of 106
I have the imporession that the name lookup (DNS proxy) problem has been solved! I do not longer have to manually list my ISPs name servers in the network config, but can use "pure" DHCP that will just list my WAN router as the only DNS server.

Timeouts seem to be gone!

Can anyone confirm?
post #13 of 106
Quote:
Originally posted by ryanh
WTF? I didn't think I'm that much of a Mac newbie. But what is "repair permissions?"

Yes, what is that all about?
post #14 of 106
Quote:
Originally posted by ryanh

Is it something to do with the flashing finder/question mark icon I get when I restarted my Mac? I went into the help and it pointed me to First Aid in Disk Utility, and to repair permissions, which is what I'm doing at the moment...

PS. Mac's Help impresses more than Windows' ever did.
Daniel Tull
Daniel Tull
post #15 of 106
I did the repair permissions thing, restarted but I still get a flashing world followed by a ? and finder symbol... What does this mean?
Daniel Tull
Daniel Tull
post #16 of 106
Repair Permissions = Applications folder -> Utilities folder -> Disk Utility

Select your hard drive and then select "repair permissions"

Good to do once a month or so.
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
post #17 of 106
Quote:
Originally posted by danielctull
I did the repair permissions thing, restarted but I still get a flashing world followed by a ? and finder symbol... What does this mean?

How did you resart then? Are you posting with that computer?

In old MacOS 9 if you got a question mark it meant there was no System Folder or the Startup Disk was not selected.

If you can. go to Preferences and select "Startup Disk" and select the correct one. This will tell the OS where to start from right away.
post #18 of 106
I just repaired permissions too... whole bunch of crap got repaired, including that message about "WE changed this" and "WE changed that".

Christ, my Mac has gone Gollum on me
post #19 of 106
My iBook and G5 iMac seems to run fine. Permissions repair looked like the one above posted.

I can'te really tell a difference. Maybe my network stuff works a little better but that could be in my head.

Eric
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #20 of 106
from zee orsses mout

Quote:
Mac OS X 10.3.8 Enhancements

These are some of the enhancements delivered with the Mac OS X 10.3.8 Update:

Addresses an issue with Mac OS X 10.3.7 in which iChat, Mail, or other network-based applications could take a long time to open.

Addresses an issue in which a computer wouldn't always restart automatically after a power failure, even when the Energy Saver preference option "Restart automatically after a power failure" was selected.

Improves the performance of Blizzard World of Warcraft's "Full Screen Glow" video feature.

Improves DVD Player compatibility when playing a movie (using certain ATI Radeon cards) to an external widescreen TV with a 16:9 aspect ratio.

Resolves an issue in which a "flicker" could be seen when navigating DVD menus in DVD Player on certain PowerBook G4 computers.

Addresses an issue in which a PowerBook G4 computer would, on rare occasion, wake from sleep with a black screen and not respond to any keyboard, mouse, or trackpad input.

Addresses "jumping cursor" issues that might occur when using your portable computer's trackpad with your thumb, side of thumb, or a "flat" finger.

Resolves an issue on certain Power Mac G5 computers where a fan cycles erratically at unexpected times, such as when Seti@home software is running.

Speeds up Address Book and Mail LDAP lookups that are performed by a Cisco DistributedDirector DNS server.

Addresses an issue that could prevent clients using the Active Directory plugin from binding to their Active Directory server.
post #21 of 106
Quote:
Originally posted by ZO
from zee orsses mout

Your englench is very nice!
post #22 of 106
Quote:
Originally posted by ZO
How did you resart then? Are you posting with that computer?

In old MacOS 9 if you got a question mark it meant there was no System Folder or the Startup Disk was not selected.

If you can. go to Preferences and select "Startup Disk" and select the correct one. This will tell the OS where to start from right away.

I was posting with my Mac... I dunno how, but it flashed a globe icon, then the question mark and finder icon, then started up as usual, albeit a bit slow.

Somehow the Startup Disk was set to Network Drive, have restarted and all is fine. Really don't know how Network Drive though.

It also changed my Display setting to Thousands of colours instead of Millions which it was on before.
Daniel Tull
Daniel Tull
post #23 of 106
Quote:
Addresses "jumping cursor" issues that might occur when using your portable computer's trackpad with your thumb, side of thumb, or a "flat" finger.

ARE YOU SERIOUS! I have been wondering what the heck has been going on because I would be typing an email then all the sudden I would be typing elsewhere. Now this is a Godsend and I'm not thinking twice about waiting any longer.
post #24 of 106
I installed on my DP G4 1.25 and original iBook. It seems web browsing is faster now.
post #25 of 106
27.7MB downloaded, installed, and 'optmiized' in 180 seconds
post #26 of 106
Quote:
Originally posted by ipodandimac
27.7MB downloaded, installed, and 'optmiized' in 180 seconds

I guess you speed demons do everything faster.

Eric / Slow Club

iBook/G5 iMac
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #27 of 106
I got the special package of 16.4 MB.
post #28 of 106
I installed the update and all seems well so far.

In fact, now that I think about it, it looks like the Safari animated gif issue has been addressed! When posting on this form, all the smilies are using 50% of my CPU power! Glorious day!

More later...
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #29 of 106
These XBench Speeds are from my iBook "test machine" which I use for testing updates. The only big improvement seems to be in Quartz text..

This is 10.3.7 vs. 10.3.8

Quartz Graphics Test\t127.24\t
\t\tLine\t98.13\t2.50 Klines/sec [50% alpha]
\t\tRectangle\t123.62\t8.70 Krects/sec [50% alpha]
\t\tCircle\t129.78\t2.99 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]
\t\tBezier\t127.65\t1.39 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]
\t\tText\t182.63\t2.98 Kchars/sec
\tOpenGL Graphics Test\t92.60\t
\t\tSpinning Squares\t92.60\t64.80 frames/sec
\tUser Interface Test\t164.96\t
\t\tElements\t164.96\t53.06 refresh/sec

Quartz Graphics Test\t136.11\t
\t\tLine\t104.37\t2.66 Klines/sec [50% alpha]
\t\tRectangle\t124.09\t8.73 Krects/sec [50% alpha]
\t\tCircle\t129.19\t2.98 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]
\t\tBezier\t134.72\t1.46 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]
\t\tText\t254.38\t4.15 Kchars/sec
\tOpenGL Graphics Test\t88.21\t
\t\tSpinning Squares\t88.21\t61.73 frames/sec
\tUser Interface Test\t163.48\t
\t\tElements\t163.48\t52.58 refresh/sec
post #30 of 106
For me, 10.3.7 introduced a small delay when unmounting drives on my G5. This seems to have been fixed in 10.3.8 and my iPod dismounts right away.
post #31 of 106
the update seems to have done very little as i was hoping that it would clear up the problem that started after 10.3.7. This was the fact that all of a sudden it took ages to start up (about 2minutes for finder to load properly) but alas it still takes ages!!!
Any ideas??
or do i just wait for tiger? and hope that the runmours of the release are true and just be patient!
post #32 of 106
I always install the Combo updater.

Anyways, god, thank god for that "jumping cursor" thing. I thought... well... I didnt know WHAT to think. I was always sure that I never touched or even brushed the trackpad and all of a sudden a webmail subject line had a whole paragraph in it...

crazy...
post #33 of 106
Quote:
Originally posted by male82uk
the update seems to have done very little as i was hoping that it would clear up the problem that started after 10.3.7. This was the fact that all of a sudden it took ages to start up (about 2minutes for finder to load properly) but alas it still takes ages!!!
Any ideas??
or do i just wait for tiger? and hope that the runmours of the release are true and just be patient!

some people have completely reinstalled the software but this doesn't always work as is time consuming. I'm waiting for my PB!!
post #34 of 106
The first "enhancement" is welcome -- sometimes it would be quite a while waiting for iChat and Mail to open up. I had started to think it had something to do with being on battery power vs. adapter power, but it wasn't consistent. We'll see I guess.
"Be entirely tolerant or not at all; follow the good path or the evil one. To stand at the crossroads requires more strength than you possess."

"Ordinarily he was insane, but he had lucid moments...
"Be entirely tolerant or not at all; follow the good path or the evil one. To stand at the crossroads requires more strength than you possess."

"Ordinarily he was insane, but he had lucid moments...
post #35 of 106
Quote:
Originally posted by webmail
These XBench Speeds are from my iBook "test machine" which I use for testing updates. The only big improvement seems to be in Quartz text..

This is 10.3.7 vs. 10.3.8

Quartz Graphics Test\t127.24\t
\t\tLine\t98.13\t2.50 Klines/sec [50% alpha]
\t\tRectangle\t123.62\t8.70 Krects/sec [50% alpha]
\t\tCircle\t129.78\t2.99 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]
\t\tBezier\t127.65\t1.39 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]
\t\tText\t182.63\t2.98 Kchars/sec
\tOpenGL Graphics Test\t92.60\t
\t\tSpinning Squares\t92.60\t64.80 frames/sec
\tUser Interface Test\t164.96\t
\t\tElements\t164.96\t53.06 refresh/sec

Quartz Graphics Test\t136.11\t
\t\tLine\t104.37\t2.66 Klines/sec [50% alpha]
\t\tRectangle\t124.09\t8.73 Krects/sec [50% alpha]
\t\tCircle\t129.19\t2.98 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]
\t\tBezier\t134.72\t1.46 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]
\t\tText\t254.38\t4.15 Kchars/sec
\tOpenGL Graphics Test\t88.21\t
\t\tSpinning Squares\t88.21\t61.73 frames/sec
\tUser Interface Test\t163.48\t
\t\tElements\t163.48\t52.58 refresh/sec

Thanks for the benchmarks webmail!

Interesting, text rendering speed is significantly improved but a couple other ops show a slight slowdown...
post #36 of 106
Make this a standard proceedure when installing ANY Apple update:

1) Run Repair Permissions in the Disk Utility before installing

2) If it is a major OS update, download the combo update when it is available instead of using Software Update.

3) Run Repair Permissions again after the update is successfully installed.
post #37 of 106
Quote:
Any ideas??

Try running Font Finagler. It helped dramatically for me.
post #38 of 106
quote:
Any ideas??

Try running Font Finagler. It helped dramatically for me.

I've just looked at this and i feel i need to expand on my problem. It seems to be that upon start up it tries to read too far into the network after signing on to the mac. However if i take out the network cable then it is as fast as it was before the update 10.3.7. any more ideas cos it's becoming a pain in the arse now as i either have to get to the network cable and unplug before start up or sign on and read the complete shakespeares work!! both seem like a load of hassle that shouldn't be nessesary!! \
post #39 of 106
Using XBench, my stats all went down. I'm posting them here for you all to see. So much for those so-called improvements. As it was, I was less than thrilled with the sluggish QT playback, and I can't even run iTunes visualizer without seriously dropped frames. I don't even want to get into how choppy it gets when I use iDVD and make menus. Perhaps I'll see an improvement with 10.4, otherwise this Powerbook is out the window, and I live on the fifth floor.

Results\t116.28\t

\tSystem Info\t\t
\t\tXbench Version\t\t1.1.3
\t\tSystem Version\t\t10.3.5 (7M34)
\t\tPhysical RAM\t\t1024 MB
\t\tModel\t\tPowerBook5,2
\t\tProcessor\t\tPowerPC G4 @ 1.25 GHz
\t\tL1 Cache\t\t32K (instruction), 32K (data)
\t\tL2 Cache\t\t512K @ 1.25 GHz
\t\tBus Frequency\t\t167 MHz
\t\tVideo Card\t\tATY,RV350M10
\t\tDrive Type\t\tHitachi HTS548080M9AT00

\tCPU Test\t143.53\t
\t\tGCD Loop\t138.78\t5.42 Mops/sec
\t\tFloating Point Basic\t140.64\t508.62 Mflop/sec
\t\tAltiVec Basic\t142.99\t4.15 Gflop/sec
\t\tvecLib FFT\t156.06\t2.42 Gflop/sec
\t\tFloating Point Library\t140.48\t5.62 Mops/sec

\tThread Test\t105.12\t
\t\tComputation\t76.02\t1.03 Mops/sec, 4 threads
\t\tLock Contention\t170.28\t2.14 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads

\tMemory Test\t133.54\t
\t\tSystem\t137.30\t
\t\t\tAllocate\t772.89\t504.15 Kalloc/sec
\t\t\tFill\t134.33\t1069.30 MB/sec
\t\t\tCopy\t76.27\t381.33 MB/sec
\t\tStream\t129.99\t
\t\t\tCopy\t130.07\t950.83 MB/sec [altivec]
\t\t\tScale\t130.82\t965.46 MB/sec [altivec]
\t\t\tAdd\t131.38\t840.84 MB/sec [altivec]
\t\t\tTriad\t127.73\t780.43 MB/sec [altivec]

\tQuartz Graphics Test\t154.86\t
\t\tLine\t125.90\t3.20 Klines/sec [50% alpha]
\t\tRectangle\t146.86\t10.33 Krects/sec [50% alpha]
\t\tCircle\t151.12\t3.48 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]
\t\tBezier\t136.95\t1.49 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]
\t\tText\t276.49\t4.51 Kchars/sec

\tOpenGL Graphics Test\t91.67\t
\t\tSpinning Squares\t91.67\t64.15 frames/sec

\tUser Interface Test\t174.43\t
\t\tElements\t174.43\t56.11 refresh/sec

\tDisk Test\t76.15\t
\t\tSequential\t90.02\t
\t\t\tUncached Write\t106.40\t44.35 MB/sec [4K blocks]
\t\t\tUncached Write\t67.55\t27.66 MB/sec [256K blocks]
\t\t\tUncached Read\t130.78\t20.70 MB/sec [4K blocks]
\t\t\tUncached Read\t79.44\t32.10 MB/sec [256K blocks]
\t\tRandom\t65.98\t
\t\t\tUncached Write\t56.91\t0.85 MB/sec [4K blocks]
\t\t\tUncached Write\t65.54\t14.78 MB/sec [256K blocks]
\t\t\tUncached Read\t68.11\t0.45 MB/sec [4K blocks]
\t\t\tUncached Read\t76.27\t15.70 MB/sec [256K blocks]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mac OS 10.3.8

Results\t108.29\t

System Info\t\t
\tXbench Version\t\t1.1.3
\tSystem Version\t\t10.3.8 (7U16)
\tPhysical RAM\t\t1024 MB
\tModel\t\tPowerBook5,2
\tProcessor\t\tPowerPC G4 @ 1.25 GHz
\t\tL1 Cache\t\t32K (instruction), 32K (data)
\t\tL2 Cache\t\t512K @ 1.25 GHz
\t\tBus Frequency\t\t167 MHz
\tVideo Card\t\tATY,RV350M10
\tDrive Type\t\tHitachi HTS548080M9AT00

CPU Test\t129.14\t
\tGCD Loop\t129.05\t5.04 Mops/sec
\tFloating Point Basic\t98.42\t355.92 Mflop/sec
\tAltiVec Basic\t152.90\t4.44 Gflop/sec
\tvecLib FFT\t152.34\t2.37 Gflop/sec
\tFloating Point Library\t129.83\t5.20 Mops/sec

Thread Test\t101.08\t
\tComputation\t73.45\t991.56 Kops/sec, 4 threads
\tLock Contention\t162.02\t2.03 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads

Memory Test\t131.47\t
\tSystem\t129.64\t
\t\tAllocate\t727.87\t474.79 Kalloc/sec
\t\tFill\t130.90\t1041.94 MB/sec
\t\tCopy\t70.78\t353.91 MB/sec
\tStream\t133.36\t
\t\tCopy\t124.13\t907.37 MB/sec [altivec]
\t\tScale\t140.32\t1035.53 MB/sec [altivec]
\t\tAdd\t144.67\t925.91 MB/sec [altivec]
\t\tTriad\t126.60\t773.56 MB/sec [altivec]

Quartz Graphics Test\t136.50\t
\t\tLine\t117.10\t2.98 Klines/sec [50% alpha]
\t\tRectangle\t137.68\t9.69 Krects/sec [50% alpha]
\t\tCircle\t137.74\t3.17 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]
\t\tBezier\t123.36\t1.34 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]
\t\tText\t183.10\t2.98 Kchars/sec

OpenGL Graphics Test\t90.57\t
\t\tSpinning Squares\t90.57\t63.38 frames/sec

User Interface Test\t155.11\t
\t\tElements\t155.11\t49.89 refresh/sec

Disk Test\t68.57\t
\t\tSequential\t76.62\t
\t\t\tUncached Write\t88.93\t37.07 MB/sec [4K blocks]
\t\t\tUncached Write\t54.94\t22.50 MB/sec [256K blocks]
\t\t\tUncached Read\t122.61\t19.41 MB/sec [4K blocks]
\t\t\tUncached Read\t68.49\t27.67 MB/sec [256K blocks]
\t\tRandom\t62.05\t
\t\t\tUncached Write\t54.57\t0.82 MB/sec [4K blocks]
\t\t\tUncached Write\t61.15\t13.79 MB/sec [256K blocks]
\t\t\tUncached Read\t65.40\t0.43 MB/sec [4K blocks]
\t\t\tUncached Read\t68.97\t14.19 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
post #40 of 106
Hmm, I thought it was universally known that Xbench results can't be trusted. I know once I upgraded from a Radeon 32MB to a Radeon 9800 and the OpenGL results went down something was up.
/* styling for my posts */
.intelligence {display: none;}
/* styling for my posts */
.intelligence {display: none;}
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mac OS X 10.3.8