or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple World Wide Developers Conference to kick-off June 6 in San Francisco
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple World Wide Developers Conference to kick-off June 6 in San Francisco

post #1 of 34
Thread Starter 
Apple's annual developers conference is set for the first week of June.

All systems are 'go' for Apple's WWDC 2005, according to a posting on the company's Developer Connection Web site. The conference, which will be held at Moscone Center West in San Francisco, Calif., will begin on June 6th and run through the 10th.

"With its unique integration of breakthrough technologies, open standards, and robust development tools, MacÂ*OSÂ*X Tiger is the platform for unparalleled developer innovation. At the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference 2005, June 6-10 in San Francisco, you'll get the in-depth knowledge, hands-on instruction and one-on-one support you need to deliver products and solutions that transform the way your users work, play, search, and share on a Mac," says a statement on the developer site.

In recent years, Apple chief executive, Steve Jobs, has transitioned the conference into an event that showcases not only the company's latest software technologies, but also its cutting edge hardware offerings.

At WWDC 2003, Apple introduced the Power Mac G5, while last year's event was slated to host the launch of the iMac G5 before issues arose with IBM, Apple's G5 chip supplier. Still, a revamped line of Cinema Displays were rolled-out.

According to a published list of frequently asked questions, complete session tracks information, special events, and keynote speakers will be provided on the WWDC 2005 website in the near future.

Tickets to the conference are priced at $1,295 for orders placed before April 22 and $1,595 thereafter.
post #2 of 34
well this years WWDC has been pushed back almost a month over last years. Thats a little over three and a half months from now. So im guessing they will wait out any PMG5 upgrades, but when they do they do it will probably be one hell of an upgrade...New MP G5..PCI-e..X800 etc.
post #3 of 34
june 6th? will tiger be ready to announce for imminent sale by then?

and hey, only a mere $1300 to attend. or buy four, and get one free. yeah, i know, if you're a full-time developer, this is YOUR show, and it makes you money to attend. but THIS is why apple must keep showing at least at macworld san francisco, to give us mere mortals the faint hope that we will be able to bask in the full, searing glory of steve's RDF and still afford to BUY SOMETHING as we walk out.
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
post #4 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by jsnuff1
well this years WWDC has been pushed back almost a month over last years. Thats a little over three and a half months from now. So im guessing they will wait out any PMG5 upgrades, but when they do they do it will probably be one hell of an upgrade...New MP G5..PCI-e..X800 etc.

I thought Apple held it's WWDC at the end of June in 2004?
post #5 of 34
They did (linky). June 28-July 2. Similar for '03.

So they pushed it up a month compared to prior years.

Screed
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
Reply
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
Reply
post #6 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by sCreeD
They did (linky). June 28-July 2. Similar for '03.

So they pushed it up a month compared to prior years.

Screed

It was pushed back a month when they moved the conference from the San Jose Convention Center to the Moscone Center.
post #7 of 34
So I know what Core Image and Core Video are. What is Core Data?
post #8 of 34
CoreData is basically an EOF for Cocoa, from what I gather
post #9 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by kalikkalik
CoreData is basically an EOF for Cocoa, from what I gather

What's an EOF??
Never Doubt Apple.
---------------------------

"Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice." -Steve Jobs
Reply
Never Doubt Apple.
---------------------------

"Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice." -Steve Jobs
Reply
post #10 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by macnut222
What's an EOF??

Enterprise Object Frameworks, part of NeXTStep originally, now bundled with WebObjects.

Basically, Core Data does the same thing for data (files, metadata, etc.) that Core Image does for filters: It gives you a system-level framework for defining and manipulating them.

The details are seeeeeekrit.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
Reply
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
Reply
post #11 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by Amorph
Enterprise Object Frameworks, part of NeXTStep originally, now bundled with WebObjects.

Basically, Core Data does the same thing for data (files, metadata, etc.) that Core Image does for filters: It gives you a system-level framework for defining and manipulating them.

The details are seeeeeekrit.

So now that that's sorted...

Am I correct in assuming that, with Core Data in place, creating and/or extending spreadsheet and database apps becomes magnitudes easier than without it? (My line of thinking has to do with the future of iWork or some theoretical MS Office replacement.)

One more thing, is Core Data in place in Panther, or will it be implemented come Tiger?
post #12 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by DCQ
So now that that's sorted...

Am I correct in assuming that, with Core Data in place, creating and/or extending spreadsheet and database apps becomes magnitudes easier than without it? (My line of thinking has to do with the future of iWork or some theoretical MS Office replacement.)

One more thing, is Core Data in place in Panther, or will it be implemented come Tiger?

As stated, the details about Core Data are seeeeekrit, meaning that they can't be discussed openly. Developers are under NDAs.
post #13 of 34
Think BeOS and the BFS and you have pretty much the summation of Core Data. If that eludes you, read the wiki here.

BTW, Dominic has been on the Apple payroll, writing journalled FS code for well over a year now.
...we have assumed control
Reply
...we have assumed control
Reply
post #14 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by xflare
I thought Apple held it's WWDC at the end of June in 2004?

So did I, and my wife and I planned our tenth anniversary trip to Bora Bora for then. But then when I told her, she didn't freak at all and moved our trip. That's why I married her in the first place...
"I'm learning how to meditate, so far so good."
Donald Fagen and Walter Becker
Reply
"I'm learning how to meditate, so far so good."
Donald Fagen and Walter Becker
Reply
post #15 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by blue2kdave
So did I, and my wife and I planned our tenth anniversary trip to Bora Bora for then. But then when I told her, she didn't freak at all and moved our trip. That's why I married her in the first place...

And that's a damn fine to reason to marry a woman too. It's like a bonus.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #16 of 34
Actually, it was an add-on to Openstep 4.x and originally written by Dave Koski and I'm completely blanking on the other gentleman. Both were interns at NeXT and former Stanford students who later owned and operated Running-Start Inc.

EOF gives many advanced ideas to the developer to manipulate data in RDBMS.

CoreData is using an SQLite database basically interfacing with EOF which will be once again Objective-C and since Apple stopped shipping ObjC version of WOF this will be very nice.

Quote:
Originally posted by Amorph
Enterprise Object Frameworks, part of NeXTStep originally, now bundled with WebObjects.

Basically, Core Data does the same thing for data (files, metadata, etc.) that Core Image does for filters: It gives you a system-level framework for defining and manipulating them.

The details are seeeeeekrit.
post #17 of 34
Yet again, a WWDC I can´t even hope to attend. Somehow, I think there´s something wrong with the WWDC, for example

*) It´s only in America - what are european Developers going to do? Especially with such a

*) Price Tag - Sorry, there´s no way a student, hobby or "Let´s see what this does" programmer like me could afford 1300$ and the flight to America.
While I understand why there must be an entrace fee, I really don´t see a reason for 1300 Dollars...

Hello Steve? We want something like WWDC in Europe, too. And if possible, not for 1300.
Now running on a 20" aluminium iMac (Fall 2008), as well as a Macboook Pro 13" (mid 2009) and an iPhone.
Reply
Now running on a 20" aluminium iMac (Fall 2008), as well as a Macboook Pro 13" (mid 2009) and an iPhone.
Reply
post #18 of 34
Yes this is 3 weeks earlier but I suppose many people here aren't interested in the fact that it's regular price is $400 less than normal.
post #19 of 34
This isn't targeted for Student Developers. I know I used to have to work the conference while at Apple.

And nearly one third of the developers who attend are foreign so that doesn't work as well.

This is a conference that corporations interested in developing for OS X or already do will have spent the Premiere Pricing structure which includes a pass for one and depending on the organization will send several developers at once.

The most I ever saw was around 20 developers being sent to the conference.

Great conference btw. If one has questions that bug the crap out of them this is the place to get your answers. Not to mention it is the best place to do social networking for future jobs or partnerships.


Quote:
Originally posted by Denmaru
Yet again, a WWDC I can´t even hope to attend. Somehow, I think there´s something wrong with the WWDC, for example

*) It´s only in America - what are european Developers going to do? Especially with such a

*) Price Tag - Sorry, there´s no way a student, hobby or "Let´s see what this does" programmer like me could afford 1300$ and the flight to America.
While I understand why there must be an entrace fee, I really don´t see a reason for 1300 Dollars...

Hello Steve? We want something like WWDC in Europe, too. And if possible, not for 1300.
post #20 of 34
100" Cinema Display
$10,000.
post #21 of 34
For students, there are the student scholarships, which is essentially a free ticket. You'll still have to pay hotel and airfare, but that's a lot less than a ticket. Scholarships are usually first come first serve, so get your resumes in as soon as its announced. It doesn't even matter if you're in a computer related major. I'm a Philosophy major and I got one last year. I went and it was cool.
post #22 of 34
Last year's WWDC was advertised on the introduction of Tiger and the year before we knew something big was coming because they pushed the original date back almost a month and relocated it to accomodate more participants.

What can we expect this year and what does the focus on Tiger's technologies tell us about the release date of Tiger?

I think Tiger won't be released early but at or shortly after WWDC to meet the promised "2nd half of 2005" deadline.

On the hardware side, I expect the announcements to be evolutionary rather than revolutionary: i.e. PCI-e, DDR2 etc.

I hope that the guys at IBM did not solely work on resolving the problem in the production process (which is mainly for GHz-bragging, anyway) but kept up work on the functionality (multi-threading, Power5 derivative, true moblie chip etc.) according to their roadmap. Maybe, multicore chips will be pre-announced/pre-viewed.

Since it is a developers conference, I hope Apple talks about the direction future products of the company are heading. Will Apple actively persue the business market (the Mac mini seems like a good start here, but they don't seem to be focused enough yet)? Or will they shift thier focus on personal entertainment (but then, they would have seriously think about adding TV capabilities)?

Interesting times ahead!

Mods: Time to reopen the "Temporary Insanity" forum ;-)
post #23 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by RolandG
[B]
I think Tiger won't be released early but at or shortly after WWDC to meet the promised "2nd half of 2005" deadline.

On the hardware side, I expect the announcements to be evolutionary rather than revolutionary: i.e. PCI-e, DDR2 etc.

But Apple have consistently said Tiger will arrive in the "First Half of 2005"
post #24 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by xflare
But Apple have consistently said Tiger will arrive in the "First Half of 2005"

"Apple have"

You wouldn't happen to be Brit now would you

I think if Apple ships Tiger before the end of June that would meet the deadline right. July 1st is really the 2H of 2005 right?

I definitely think WWDC 2005 is Tigers release party. Why else would Apple move the date forward to an earlier time?
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by Denmaru
Yet again, a WWDC I can´t even hope to attend. Somehow, I think there´s something wrong with the WWDC, for example

*) It´s only in America - what are european Developers going to do? Especially with such a

Since when does "Worldwide" not include Europe? :P
post #26 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by Amorph
Enterprise Object Frameworks, part of NeXTStep originally, now bundled with WebObjects.

Basically, Core Data does the same thing for data (files, metadata, etc.) that Core Image does for filters: It gives you a system-level framework for defining and manipulating them.

The details are seeeeeekrit.

Hopefully Core Data will add better management of XML data sources and DOM manipulation. This is one area Cocoa is pretty weak at.

I'd also like to see xcode get better at intellisense like visual studio.
post #27 of 34
Look, I'm usually open to the "Hey what about Poland (or fill in your country)" complaints about Apple's endeavors. But to suggest that Apple should hold its developer conference in Europe is downright funny to me. Did you ever stop to wonder that maybe the location is determined by the fact that it is right next door to Apple corporate HQ? Do you have any idea how much it would cost Apple just do the show anywhere else in the USA? All of their employees can drive to the freakin' convention hall. This has nothing to do with American elitism, and everything to do with the bottom line.
"I'm learning how to meditate, so far so good."
Donald Fagen and Walter Becker
Reply
"I'm learning how to meditate, so far so good."
Donald Fagen and Walter Becker
Reply
post #28 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by hmurchison
"Apple have"

You wouldn't happen to be Brit now would you

I think if Apple ships Tiger before the end of June that would meet the deadline right. July 1st is really the 2H of 2005 right?

I definitely think WWDC 2005 is Tigers release party. Why else would Apple move the date forward to an earlier time?

See my thread here, on Tiger's release date, I am off to put money on 25th June.
Daniel Tull
Reply
Daniel Tull
Reply
post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by blue2kdave
Look, I'm usually open to the "Hey what about Poland (or fill in your country)" complaints about Apple's endeavors. But to suggest that Apple should hold its developer conference in Europe is downright funny to me. Did you ever stop to wonder that maybe the location is determined by the fact that it is right next door to Apple corporate HQ? Do you have any idea how much it would cost Apple just do the show anywhere else in the USA? All of their employees can drive to the freakin' convention hall. This has nothing to do with American elitism, and everything to do with the bottom line.


Very true, and one of the multiple reasons why it's held in the US. The majority of Mac users, and developers are also located in the US. It has to do with everybody's bottom line including Apples, and their employees as you previously mentioned.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #30 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by Rhumgod
[B]Think BeOS and the BFS and you have pretty much the summation of Core Data. If that eludes you, read the wiki here.

This has nothing at all to do with Core Data.
Core Data is described here.
post #31 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by mdriftmeyer
Actually, it was an add-on to Openstep 4.x and originally written by Dave Koski and I'm completely blanking on the other gentleman. Both were interns at NeXT and former Stanford students who later owned and operated Running-Start Inc.

EOF gives many advanced ideas to the developer to manipulate data in RDBMS.

CoreData is using an SQLite database basically interfacing with EOF which will be once again Objective-C and since Apple stopped shipping ObjC version of WOF this will be very nice.


No, EOF predated OPENSTEP -- it was available for NEXTSTEP 3. EOF in turn derived from DBKit. And the development team was certainly larger than Dave Koski and Ralph Zazula...

Core Data does not "use a SQLite database" and it does not "basically interface with EOF". Publicly available information about what Core Data really is is available here.
post #32 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by quiet_man
Core Data does not "use a SQLite database"

I agree there's a lot of nonsense being talked about Core Data *but* it does (optionally) use an SQLite database backend (as your own link to Apple's site mentions.
a flirt with mediocrity comes with heavy penalty
Reply
a flirt with mediocrity comes with heavy penalty
Reply
post #33 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by stupider...likeafox
I agree there's a lot of nonsense being talked about Core Data *but* it does (optionally) use an SQLite database backend (as your own link to Apple's site mentions.

The key word there is "optionally" -- SQLite is one of three types of data store supported by Core Data, not as the original implies the only type.
post #34 of 34
Just update WO...these frameworks and API's seem old and brittle...bring me the new WO! There are still plenty of odd UI bugs too!

I'm still confounded by the lack of "supported" configurations...I know, I know, technically many "unsupported" configs work, but this is nuts...


Development Platforms
_
Mac OS X v10.2.2 or later
Windows 2000 Professional SP3

Deployment Platforms

Mac OS X Server v10.2.2 or later
Windows 2000 Server SP3
Solaris 8

Third-party Application Servers

Apache Tomcat 3.2.4 and 4.0.5
BEA WebLogic 7.0
IBM WebSphere 4.0.4

Database Servers

Microsoft SQL Server 2000
MySQL 3.23.51
OpenBase 7.0.8
Oracle 8.1.7 and 9.2.0.1
Sybase ASE 12.5

Web Servers

Sun ONE Web Server 6.0 SP2
Apache 1.3.9 or Apache 1.3.26
Microsoft Internet Information Server 5.0
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple World Wide Developers Conference to kick-off June 6 in San Francisco