or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple to rename Rendezvous technology "Bonjour"

Apple to rename Rendezvous technology "Bonjour"

post #1 of 60
Exclusive -- Apple Computer in the coming months will change the name of its Rendezvous networking technology to "Bonjour," according to company documents shown to AppleInsider.

Last year, Tibco Software of Palo Alto, Calif., entered into a trademark dispute with Apple over its use of the Rendezvous name, alleging that the Apple technology, used in products such as Mac OS X and the iTunes Music Store, infringed on its exclusive rights to the Rendezvous name.

In July 2004, AppleInsider reported that the two companies agreed to end the dispute through a mutual out of court settlement. Sources close to the negotiations said that, as part of the deal, Apple agreed to phase out its use of the "Rendezvous" name in time.

Apple's Rendezvous technology, also known in the industry as Zero Configuration networking, enables automatic discovery of computers, devices, and services on IP networks. It uses industry standard IP protocols to allow devices to automatically find each other without the need to enter IP addresses or configure DNS servers.

Following its settlement with Tibco, insiders said Apple proposed that the technology be renamed "OpenTalk" in future versions of the Mac OS X, and actually filed for the applicable trademark. However, "OpenTalk" was a little too "techie" sources said.

"Naturally, when Rendezvous-enabled computers and devices come within range of each other, they say 'hello,' and hence the name 'Bonjour' was later deemed more appropriate," one insider said.

Checks from inside Apple also confirm the name change to Bonjour. According to extremely well-placed sources, the latest internal builds of Apple's next-generation Tiger operating system have shed all mention of the Rendezvous name in favor of Bonjour. Builds of Tiger are fast approaching the 8A39x milestone, and subsequently an official release within the next few months, sources said.

As reported by AppleInsider earlier this month, Apple filed for a trademark on the name "Bonjour" on January 28th. In the filing, the company describes Bonjour as "computer software for the automatic configuration of computer networks, computer programs, computer peripherals and other electronic devices."
post #2 of 60
ya know, I thought Safari was gonna be the last of the really dorky names Apple could come up with.

Evidently I was wrong.

"Jean-Francois iiz yor Moc zaying Bonjour to my Moc?"

"Mais non Jean-Luc, ov curse non. Eet iiz onlee lookeeng fer zee printeer"

"Ah! Mais sacre bleu! Your Moc iiz triing to geet eento my Mocintosh! I zee it! Mah wall of fire sez so! Hon hon hon!"

"Beut non Jean-Luc, I zwear! My Moc just sez Bonjour to my printeer!"

"I belieeve you not you wannaa-bee Eeeeenglish knnnnniggit! iuu zmell of eldeerberries"

"Jean-Luc, I zwear, Monti Pie-ton iiz not funni when iuu arre Fronch"

"... iez, but you diid tri and zay zee Bonjour to my Moc, non?"

"Jean-Luc, TA GEULLE"

"Hon hon hon..."
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
post #3 of 60
I guess google already had 'hello' so they had to try the next most popular language.
post #4 of 60
Quote:
[i]"Ah! Mais sacre bleu! Your Moc iiz triing to geet eento my Mocintosh! I zee it! Mah wall of fire sez so! Hon hon hon!"

"Beut non Jean-Luc, I zwear! My Moc just sez Bonjour to my printeer!"

"I belieeve you not you wannaa-bee Eeeeenglish knnnnniggit! iuu zmell of eldeerberries"

"Jean-Luc, I zwear, Monti Pie-ton iiz not funni when iuu arre Fronch"

" [/B]

zoot alors, that was good. I need some wine and cheese now...
post #5 of 60
Replacing one cr@ppy name with another. Personally, iThink this one is even worse. Do those guys @ Apple think that French names are fancy or fashionable or what?
J-23
post #6 of 60
Racists
post #7 of 60
What an asstastic name.

Try again Apple
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #8 of 60
Quote:
Originally posted by hmurchison
What an asstastic name.

Try again Apple

agreed. opentalk seems fine to me though. but why make up an extra name and not call it zeroconf? both sound less 'techie' than stuff like hyperthreading.
Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion
Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion
post #9 of 60
One word: FreedomNet
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #10 of 60
Bonjour doesn't bother me -- it follows Rendezvous. I knew Rendezvous wouldn't work as I'd been working with Tibco RV at my job at the time Apple announced it.

Discovery could have worked if Apple were able to use it, because that is exactly what the technology is about.
post #11 of 60
Quote:
Originally posted by ZO

"Jean-Francois iiz yor Moc zaying Bonjour to my Moc?"

"Mais non Jean-Luc, ov curse non. Eet iiz onlee lookeeng fer zee printeer"

"Ah! Mais sacre bleu! Your Moc iiz triing to geet eento my Mocintosh! I zee it! Mah wall of fire sez so! Hon hon hon!"

Le ha ha! *pirouettes*

Bonjour????? Even Konnekt is a better name.
post #12 of 60
God, I don't anyone would be dumb enough to rename Rendevous "Bonjour".

I mean why not just call it G'day or Aloha?
post #13 of 60
God, I don't think anyone at Apple would be dumb enough to rename Rendevous "Bonjour".

post #14 of 60
découverte is the French word for discovery, why not call it that? ;-)
post #15 of 60
Quote:
Originally posted by mikerally
découverte is the French word for discovery, why not call it that? ;-)

Oooh. That's sexy. But probably taken already.
post #16 of 60
name it after the most famous explorer of all...

indiana

"indiana? we named the ZERO-CONFIGURATION NETWORKING PROTOCOL indiana..."
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #17 of 60
Quote:
Originally posted by rok
name it after the most famous explorer of all...

indiana

"indiana? we named the ZERO-CONFIGURATION NETWORKING PROTOCOL indiana..."

Oh how fitting, not just the person, but the state - most people in this state could not figure out basic computer networking if it bit them, oh screw it, you know where this is going, particularly if you have visited Indiana.

[in the tune of Deuling Banjos]
Deer-ner-neer-neer-ner dre-neer-neer!
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #18 of 60
Pretty much confirmed, Apple have filled a US trademark on January 25th 2005.

Serial No. 78556312

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?...ate=u4efgc.1.1

post #19 of 60
<Cartman>Gay! Totally gay!</Cartman>

What's wrong with "ZeroConf"?

Screed
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
post #20 of 60
I far prefer Yo or Wazzup.
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
post #21 of 60
Quote:
Originally posted by elbay

Because Aloha's already been taken for a networking technology... really!

It was an early research project into dealing with message collision over a shared medium... lessons learned were applied to the later development of Ethernet. Just about anybody with a CompSci degree has to sit through a lecture about Slotted Aloha. It's a rite of passage...
Anyone who complains about affect & effect
should be disemvoweled
Anyone who complains about affect & effect
should be disemvoweled
post #22 of 60
Quote:
Originally posted by johnq
I far prefer Yo or Wazzup.

I'm definitely going with Yo.

Or maybe 'Sup.

Bonjour is so... Bomb Voyage...
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
post #23 of 60
I can see all the Francophobic neo-cons getting outta shape.... can't wait for Rush to call for a boycott on 'Bonjour" and call for "Freedom Link!"

Personally "Menage!" sounds better to me.
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
post #24 of 60
How embarrassing will it be to have to use the word "Bonjour" in sentences when trying to help someone with their computer?! Sheesh. I can't even say it without laughing, much less a straight face.

Wasn't there an Arby's commercial where the oven mit was trying to say some french word with a "j" and kept saying 'juice' or something else instead? Maybe Apple could hire the mit out to advertise this change too?
post #25 of 60
Quote:
Originally posted by Amorph
I'm definitely going with Yo.

Or maybe 'Sup.

I love 'sup.

Gotta do it with a single reverse nod for that proper high-school hallway effect.

Imagine a French software company calling it's networking technology "Howdy"!
post #26 of 60
What is everyone's problem with the name Rendezvous (except obviously Tibco), I liked it.

Bonjour is a crap name though, terrible. OpenTalk wasn't too bad a name. Maybe for a less "techy" name got for MeetAndGreat.
Daniel Tull
Daniel Tull
post #27 of 60
Quote:
Originally posted by Xool
One word: FreedomNet

Two words.

post #28 of 60
Uggggggh ... Bonjour has to be the single worst name Apple has ever come up with ... and all it does is reinforce Apple among IT professionals as being the home of fruity white-wine sipping snobs ... I think the Bonjour name will help continue Apple's laughing stock reputation as a "serious tech" company.

Please Apple, say siyonara to Bonjour. Merci!
post #29 of 60
Quote:
Originally posted by scottylad
Uggggggh ... Bonjour has to be the single worst name Apple has ever come up with ... and all it does is reinforce Apple among IT professionals as being the home of fruity white-wine sipping snobs ... I think the Bonjour name will help continue Apple's laughing stock reputation as a "serious tech" company.

Please Apple, say siyonara to Bonjour. Merci!

How about oi!

post #30 of 60
I thought Rendezvous was perfect, actually. OpenTalk works. It's a modern extension of AppleTalk. Logical, too.

Bonjour really sucks. I can just imagine what Francophobic fools will say about it.

Howdy would be funny, but I'm sure not take seriously by the rigid IT people of the world.

What about...
Howzitgoin
HandShake

There are many possibilities better than Bonjour
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
post #31 of 60
Jeez, just be glad you're not a French Mac user. It would play out like a "Who's on First?" sketch.
post #32 of 60
Bonjour is an improvments on Rendevous IMHO... it stills tells you what the technology does but in a simpler way. But the guy who said 'Yo' is a genius

Isn't one of the main OS X designers French?
post #33 of 60
OpenTalk too techie? Was AppleTalk too techie? I can still imagine the jokes that will be made if Apple is dumb enough to choose "Bonjour".

How about something jive? Holmes, player or G maybe? Sister? Brother perhaps? Or "Lets shizzle my nizzle."

Just some of the ways you can say hello.
post #34 of 60
How about GetFreaky? Kind of opposite of what you want to happen...

Other ideas:
GetWitIt
UltraTalk (hmm sounds like Ultraman)
HyperTalk (confused with HyperThreading)
TalkEasy (sounds like for mobile phones)
iNetwork (sounds like a product not a technology)
SmoothTalk
Suave

Hey...!! Apple's new networking technology, Suave (soo-ah-vay) ....... helps your different devices and computers join and interact with each other like a coke/ecstasy-fuelled swinger's party...

Suahvay
Suavey... hmm sounds Jewish...

....the search continues
post #35 of 60
Handshake.

That would've been the best name for an App ever.
i am the beautiful conductor of this orchestra.
i am the beautiful conductor of this orchestra.
post #36 of 60
what about "Hola Cabron"

or "Que Tal"

or "Qiero TacoBell"

or... "Majana"

or maybe I'll just shut up.

Although I do like " 'ssup "
post #37 of 60
also... I just CANNOT see industry put this technology name on their products:

HP Printers that say "Easy set up with BONJOUR!"

People are gonna think that the printer comes with a frikken Croissant or something

That... thats just not gonna work
post #38 of 60
Quote:
Originally posted by a_greer
Oh how fitting, not just the person, but the state - most people in this state could not figure out basic computer networking if it bit them, oh screw it, you know where this is going, particularly if you have visited Indiana.

[in the tune of Deuling Banjos]
Deer-ner-neer-neer-ner dre-neer-neer!

Hey, just because a few of us have the uncle/dad dosen't make the place all bad. Besides if you find your girlfriend at the family reunion just means you already know her family.

And to the point that you so clearly illustrated, if folks from Indiana can use this technology anyone can, so that is just another way of saying ease of use.
Please consider throwing extra cycles at better understanding Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (CJD), ALS, and Parkinson's disease go here <a href="http://folding.stanford.edu/" target="_blank">http://folding....
Please consider throwing extra cycles at better understanding Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (CJD), ALS, and Parkinson's disease go here <a href="http://folding.stanford.edu/" target="_blank">http://folding....
post #39 of 60
Quote:
Originally posted by Brendon
Hey, just because a few of us have the uncle/dad dosen't make the place all bad. Besides if you find your girlfriend at the family reunion just means you already know her family.

OMG ROFLMAO
post #40 of 60
My name for the technology:

"How Did It Do That?"

My first experience with Rendezvous was shortly after I installed Jaguar right after it came out. I was typing on my iBook which was connected wirelessly via AirPort to my iMac which had a printer. Previously, if I needed to print something I typed on the iBook, I'd send the file to the iMac, open it there and print it. Late one night, I was kind of bleary-eyed and not thinking straight when I asked the iBook to print and offered up the printer connceted to the iMac (courtesy of Rendezvous which figured out what I had never bothered to) and I accepted. All of a sudden I hear the printer going a few rooms away in the den and said, "How did it do that!?"

Actually, Apple could call it, "We'll Take Care of It, You Morons" and we'd still use it, 'cause it works so damn well!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple to rename Rendezvous technology "Bonjour"