or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › What would you like in a NEW iPod Photo?

What would you like in a NEW iPod Photo?

post #1 of 48
I hope the pull back in iPod Photo availability means an improved implementation of the Photo iPod. As an avid photographer the photo iPod falls short for my needs.

It needs to download full resolution photos directly from my Nikon, (which has a USB port). Even better would be a CF card capable port. Some sort of combo port would be ideal as I use a Sony Memory Stick as well.

Many cameras take mpeg movies, as some even allow them to be as long as capacity allows. imagine a 100 gig Photo iPod that could hold hours of movies. You could shoot a documentary with your digital camera.

Imagine a Photo iPod that can take sills, and make movies with iSight.
OSX + Duals, Quads & Octos = World Domination
post #2 of 48
I'd like to see a camera.

Since a color screen is expected to be added into the standard line, thus marking the end of the iPod photo, perhaps Apple will add an "iPod camera" model in it's place. I'd pay $100 more for a solid small camera (or $50 more if it was more like a cell phone camera).

Another possibility is a third-party camera attachment. If the Minis and the entire iPod line gain color screens, that's a much larger potential user base than just the iPod photos.

Also: PictBridge.
post #3 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Aphelion

crappy quality, expensive, horrendous battery life... need i go on?
post #4 of 48
yes a camera in it would be crappy...but thats not the main reason apple wouldnt venture that direction...

a camera in an iPod...we all know thats not very Apple at all. apple devotes its products to simplicity and always has a "make it just get the job done for the consumer" attitude...camera in an iPod.

not until hell freezes over and apple buys sony.
post #5 of 48
Do camera phones waste a lot of battery life?

The new iPod photo better have some sort of deal where you can put your picture into the library and not just on the drive using that slow-ass belkin contraption.

Also, if h264 is scalable to cell phones, it probably doesn't take that much processing power.

I don't really care what Apple does with it, until they lower the photo into my price range, and considering I already have a 40 gig, it better be really low.
Mac user since before you were born.
Mac user since before you were born.
post #6 of 48
A lower price. Since I'm waiting until the summer or fall for my major purchases, tomorrow's changes don't directly affect me. They do make me hopeful that the 60GB model will hit $399 by then (assuming it hits $499 tomorrow).
post #7 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by slughead
Also, if h264 is scalable to cell phones, it probably doesn't take that much processing power.

correct, but some anal people here would be pissed if they couldnt plug in the ipod video to an HDTV and have hi def video. 3G quality is probable on an ipod, HD is absurb (for now).
post #8 of 48
My idea is:
PictBridge support and a easier /most common method to sync for Windows users- currently PC syncing is wqith Adobe product (No interoperatibility with other imaging software eg. JASC, ACDSee, MS Digital Image,Picasa-a clone of iPhoto)-here's my solution:

many camera's memory cards and other MP3 players appear as mass storage devices (in Explorer), iPhoto photo should do too-similar to how the iPod shuffle might be miunted when used as a flash drive. Sync with other photo organisers (eg. Jasc PSP Photo Album, ACDSee, Microsoft Digital Image Suite's DigitaL Image Suite)-instead of just Adobe products supported.
Invader Zim
"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubberpants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!
Invader Zim
"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubberpants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!
post #9 of 48
I´d like to have Bluetooth in the new iPods ---> iSync :3

Shouldn´t be much of a problem. What about making the iPod some kind of remote for the Mac (like Romeo does for mobile phones)?
Now running on a 20" aluminium iMac (Fall 2008), as well as a Macboook Pro 13" (mid 2009) and an iPhone.
Now running on a 20" aluminium iMac (Fall 2008), as well as a Macboook Pro 13" (mid 2009) and an iPhone.
post #10 of 48
(1.) Better battery, like a real 10-hour battery maybe
(2.) Less scratch prone case, something that doesnt scratch when you breathe on it
(3.) Better sound output
(4.) Built in voice recorder
(5.) Have the ability to sync with any iTunes without destroying data on either one.
(6.) Have the ability to see my music in the mounted iPod drive instead of just iTunes
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #11 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Relic
(2.) Less scratch prone case, something that doesnt scratch when you breathe on it
(3.) Better sound output
(5.) Have the ability to sync with any iTunes without destroying data on either one.
(6.) Have the ability to see my music in the mounted iPod drive instead of just iTunes

(7.) Crossfade tracks
post #12 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by JWM
(7.) Crossfade tracks

gapless playback is more important I think but yeah come on Apple.
post #13 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by JWM
(7.) Crossfade tracks

yeah i've been thinking of that for a while
especially if you *ahem* down *cough* load
songs that aren't well ripped/ corrupted at the end
post #14 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
yeah i've been thinking of that for a while
especially if you *ahem* down *cough* load
songs that aren't well ripped/ corrupted at the end

Ooohhhh I'm telling Metallica!
post #15 of 48
Quote:
Ooohhhh I'm telling Metallica!

cool i've got a hankering for some Enter Sandman or something like that
*ahem* *fires up LimeWire*
post #16 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Aphelion
I hope the pull back in iPod Photo availability means an improved implementation of the Photo iPod. As an avid photographer the photo iPod falls short for my needs.

It needs to download full resolution photos directly from my Nikon, (which has a USB port). Even better would be a CF card capable port. Some sort of combo port would be ideal as I use a Sony Memory Stick as well.

Many cameras take mpeg movies, as some even allow them to be as long as capacity allows. imagine a 100 gig Photo iPod that could hold hours of movies. You could shoot a documentary with your digital camera.

hi aph, you're a bit ahead of the curve, looks like it...
apple seems to put profit ahead of features

i guess as a publicly traded company, that's what ya do...

....take care!!
post #17 of 48
i would like a firmware update for the OLD iPod (4G) so i could use the new "iPod Camera Connector" to import photo's from my camera. i don't care about photo playback on a 2" screen.
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #18 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by gar
i would like a firmware update for the OLD iPod (4G) so i could use the new "iPod Camera Connector" to import photo's from my camera. i don't care about photo playback on a 2" screen.

Yea, well I want a legion of winged monkeys to do my bidding but Im realistic enough to know that I would never be able to take care of them emotionally, so I forgot it. I think you should do the same, forget about it isnt going happen.
post #19 of 48
CHEAPER!

Across all models.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #20 of 48
Quote:
Yea, well I want a legion of winged monkeys to do my bidding but Im realistic enough to know that I would never be able to take care of them emotionally, so I forgot it. I think you should do the same, forget about it isnt going happen.

hmmmm, i want those to.
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #21 of 48
Quote:

it will on the iPod photo, there's no difference between the iPod photo today and last week.
post #22 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
hi aph, you're a bit ahead of the curve, looks like it...
apple seems to put profit ahead of features

i guess as a publicly traded company, that's what ya do...

....take care!!

Well I was defining my needs, and I'm willing to wait for some of the features I mentioned, Being an off camera image repository for my D100 is paramount for my needs.

I do think I'll probably get two Shuttles, though (one for the wife). Obviously just for music.

And I'm all for AAPL to put profits ahead of my personal needs. I bought Apple stock before I bought my first Apple (Cube).
post #23 of 48
Quote:
Yea, well I want a legion of winged monkeys to do my bidding .....

as Mr.Burns once said, "Fly! My pretties....!!"
post #24 of 48
Camera phones? What uses are there? I have a "nameless" beta phone that's going to retail for $500ish dollars and it has a "great" cameraphone in it. But for what? How many headshots do I need? None of them are good simply because they don't very good lense or eye, and even the ones that do? Like what the hell do I want the camera in my phone for? How often do you use this thing? It strikes me as a feature 12 year old want to take stupid pictures and post them all over.

Useless to most of of even if I did enjoy "*cking" with it for 10 minutes when i first got it.

Quote:
Originally posted by slughead
Do camera phones waste a lot of battery life?

The new iPod photo better have some sort of deal where you can put your picture into the library and not just on the drive using that slow-ass belkin contraption.

I don't really care what Apple does with it, until they lower the photo into my price range, and considering I already have a 40 gig, it better be really low.
post #25 of 48
Quote:
(3.) Better sound output

(7.) Firewire back at no extra cost.
post #26 of 48
be as thin as the other ipods!!!!!! i hate how thick it is...... even tho i will prolly end up buying one.
post #27 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Ferali
be as thin as the other ipods!!!!!! i hate how thick it is...... even tho i will prolly end up buying one.

i want them thinner too, but actuall yi believe the 30GB ipod is as thin as the 3rd gen 10GB ipods. which is pretty good.
post #28 of 48
I want a screen that covers the front and the click wheel on the back.
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
post #29 of 48
1. Better battery life. 10 hours is SO 2004...

2. Airport so that I can update wirelessly, and play directly to my Airport Express.

3. PROFIT!!!!
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
post #30 of 48
Maybe Apple could make a better product to "upload" pictures onto the iPod when you don't have a computer around. When my friend was shooting pictures with his dSLR and tried to transfer the pictures from his memory card to the iPod it took forever. I was kind of disappointed in that.

Also a better backlight control.
post #31 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by alkanenine
Maybe Apple could make a better product to "upload" pictures onto the iPod when you don't have a computer around. When my friend was shooting pictures with his dSLR and tried to transfer the pictures from his memory card to the iPod it took forever. I was kind of disappointed in that.

Well, they are promising something better in March, but who knows if it will be any faster. Perhaps the best solution is to have two cards. Let one upload, while you shoot on the other.
post #32 of 48
A 6" x 8" screen.
Pen input.
Inkwell.

My needs are simple, if unrealistic.

Aries 1B
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
post #33 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by murk
Well, they are promising something better in March, but who knows if it will be any faster. Perhaps the best solution is to have two cards. Let one upload, while you shoot on the other.

That is true.

The thing is he was at a Rally and was just shooting pics. He filled up his cards up really quick. The belkin media port thingy is really slow. The thing he was doing was while he was shooting, he was trying to upload his pictures and it was so slow. He filled up the card faster then it uploaded
post #34 of 48
How about an ipod video.......now that they have an ipod with a 60gig hd in it make it capable of plugging it into a video camera such as mine, a Canon GL-2 via firewire and being able to record video right to it and then upload into Final Cut Pro?http://forums.appleinsider.com/newre...hreadid=51518#
Wouldn't that be cool.....any thoughts from the rest of you on this?
G4 dual 1.4 23" flat panel user new to video
and final cut, dvd studio
G4 dual 1.4 23" flat panel user new to video
and final cut, dvd studio
post #35 of 48
Quote:
I want a screen that covers the front and the click wheel on the back.

that would be impossible to use though - how can you use buttons on the back and look at a screen on the front? Also it would kind of eliminate the whole one hand concept.
post #36 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by MacCrazy
that would be impossible to use though - how can you use buttons on the back and look at a screen on the front? Also it would kind of eliminate the whole one hand concept.

I can operate it without looking at the wheel and buttons. Thought everyone could. In fact I thought that was the brilliance of the click wheel. I'm pretty sure I could still hold it in one hand and control it with one finger.
post #37 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by gar

Photo Storage For More Than Just iPod Photo? (Gizmodo.com)
This username is deprecated. Upgrade to andreslucero.
This username is deprecated. Upgrade to andreslucero.
post #38 of 48
Quote:
I can operate it without looking at the wheel and buttons. Thought everyone could. In fact I thought that was the brilliance of the click wheel. I'm pretty sure I could still hold it in one hand and control it with one finger.

yeah true, but sometimes you need to glance to check your in the right position etc. Look try holding your iPod in one hand and clicking a button on the back. It's no where near as easy as using the click wheel with a thumb. Also people new to the iPod would find it very cumbersome. Buttons on the side would be more appropriate. I think the current iPod is perfect design speaking.
post #39 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by MacCrazy
yeah true, but sometimes you need to glance to check your in the right position etc. Look try holding your iPod in one hand and clicking a button on the back. It's no where near as easy as using the click wheel with a thumb. Also people new to the iPod would find it very cumbersome. Buttons on the side would be more appropriate. I think the current iPod is perfect design speaking.

Except the screen is too small for photos.
post #40 of 48
Quote:
Except the screen is too small for photos.

the size doesn't bother me
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › What would you like in a NEW iPod Photo?