or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Intel flaunts Mac Mini-like concept PC

Intel flaunts Mac Mini-like concept PC

post #1 of 49
Intel on Wednesday showed off its living room PC of the future, a device which very much resembles Apple's Mac Mini.

Source: CNET News.com

According to a report on CNet News.com, it's unlikely that Intel itself would build such a device, and thus far, the concept PC is just a piece of plastic, with a mock clock display, optical drive, and USB, audio and FireWire port connectors.
post #2 of 49
post #3 of 49
That is an ugly MOFO.
post #4 of 49
well isn't that just FUD-frickin-Tastic!
post #5 of 49
Surely intel don't feel this threatened by apple?
I really do hope the next big thing isn't just a piece of UI garnish
post #6 of 49
is it even possible to flaunt a concept PC?
post #7 of 49
The mini is like 1/4 of that thing. They wish they were that good at apple in design...or anything in general...
post #8 of 49
"Hey fellows, we're really taking a ribbing over the sheer size, power consumption and heat generation of our computing devices in relation to that new Macintosh system, the Mac mini!"

"By George! You're right! Whatever shall we do?!"

*think tank mulls*

"Well, we could build a smaller machine that would accomplish the same task."

"But how are we going to deal with the above mentioned issues and still maintain an acceptable level of productivity while not burning the machine to a cinder?"

*think tank mulls some more*

*in unison* "A concept PC that will never see the light of day! BRILLIANT!"

Modding for Great Justice
Modding for Great Justice
post #9 of 49
Inert rip-offs are the sincerest form of flattery.
We're investigating reports of indecent acts being committed at the YMCA.
post #10 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by Mac The Fork

-Justin Winokur

15" Core i7 MacBook Pro, (circa July 2010)
-Justin Winokur

15" Core i7 MacBook Pro, (circa July 2010)
post #11 of 49
Hard to know whether to laugh or cry! This is perfect!!!!
post #12 of 49
What it REALLY needs, in addition to the fake clock sticker (!!!) is a sticker that says Microsoft Windows and one that says Intel Inside.

Both stickers slightly crooked, if you please.

(I also like the background... perhaps Intel is copying Microsoft in copying the soft blue style of OS X's default desktop! Most of the Longhorn wallpapers I've seen are clear cases of "I like the OS X wallpaper... do something like that!")
post #13 of 49
hello?
it's 1998 calling - it wants its Intel-Mac-Ripoff back...

http://wired.com/news/business/0,1367,16030,00.html
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #14 of 49
Quote:

Wait, wait who's ripping off whom, this Mini-ITX form factor has been around for years. I've been building these little guys way before the Mac Mini was a twinkle in Apples eye. So don't let you heads swell up that big with we did it first talk. In fact I would say geeesh its about time Apple.

Some designs that were on the market before the Mac Mini, hhhmmmm;

Ok this one is ugly, but still worth mentioning, it's a PPC computer that goes into your PPC computer, like a G4 tower.

Honorable mention, AMD bringing computers to poor people all over the world.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #15 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by Tag Me Back

It has nothing to do with feeling threatened, just trying to push an idea that they presented two years ago when Centrino Desktop Motherboards first started appearing. Now that Apple has a proof of concept Intel is just trying to push the market AGAIN and get more Computer manufactures interested. The Mini idea is nothing new, especially in the PowerPC realm, in fact the motherboard looks a lot like the mini G4 PPC motherboard from Terra Soft.

Apple needs to be commended on bringing this concept to the mass market at a reasonable price, like fuel-efficient cars this is the future of computing.
post #16 of 49
I've owned this for five months:

A perfect match for the mini. It's really a gorgeous system. Sounds pretty good, too.
post #17 of 49
I love micro systems, especially because I live in a loft. That JVC is nice; I might want one for work.

Here's mine;
post #18 of 49
Heh, Intel's gonna do about $35 bn this year. I don't think they're losing any sleep over the Mac mini.
post #19 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by Tag Me Back

Intel is not in the business to feel threatened by Apple, but they may be threatened by IBM for other reasons. However, Intel is the standard bearer for a sea of monkey-see monkey-do OEM parts companies, many of which I deem worthless. They are trapped in an overcompetitive market where innovation must come from Intel, and so that is what Intel is trying to do: push things a bit. Remember how USB wasn't adopted by the PC industry? Intel made that. Now they know they have to go the extra mile and spoon feed their OEMs in order to make anything happen.
Cat: the other white meat
post #20 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by Relic
Wait, wait who's ripping off whom, this Mini-ITX form factor has been around for years. I've been building these little guys way before the Mac Mini was a twinkle in Apples eye. So don't let you heads swell up that big with we did it first talk. In fact I would say geeesh its about time Apple.

That's true, and it's why I'm glad the mini is smaller and better than any ITX platform out there. That is, there's no reason to come out with something worse than what's already out there.

A note about the BriQ: I don't think they are being sold anymore. Last I checked, I didn't see them mentioned anywhere on the terrasoft pages, and total impact's website was completely gone.
post #21 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by Splinemodel
That's true, and it's why I'm glad the mini is smaller and better than any ITX platform out there. That is, there's no reason to come out with something worse than what's already out there.

A note about the BriQ: I don't think they are being sold anymore. Last I checked, I didn't see them mentioned anywhere on the terrasoft pages, and total impact's website was completely gone.

Agreed, that's why I bought one. Absolutely love that form factor, however the Mini Mac has a lot of faults that keeps it from being perfect. Lack of upgradeability is one; I own the Hoojum cubit 3 as shown in my previous post. It is the same footprint but taller, the reason is it has a full 3.5 HD Seagate 200GB 7200 rpm drive. Calling the Mini better then any ITX out there is a bit over stated, you might be comparing the speed but as of recently there are Centrino and P4 models available which makes it much faster, with 4 USB, Firewire, wireless, hardware encryption, ect.

You cant beat the price of the Mac Mini, its fast enough and the size is more the wonderful. Im probably going to buy one more for the kitchen, surf-station.

Thats a shame about the Briq, I really liked them. Never bought one myself but a neighbor of mine had one in his Quicksilver. It was like having a embedded server in his computer, really cool stuff.
post #22 of 49
Quote:
Wait, wait who's ripping off whom, this Mini-ITX form factor has been around for years.

I don't believe I made any claims to the contrary. The mini and the designs you've shown bring something to the table for SFF PCs. Intel's plastic box is simply derivative.
post #23 of 49
Quote:
I don't believe I made any claims to the contrary. The mini and the designs you've shown bring something to the table for SFF PCs. Intel's plastic box is simply derivative.

First, I was just using you comment as a jump into the forum.

I'm saying that Intel tried to push the concept of a small mini-pc to the public before Apple drew it out on paper. I went to a conference two years ago where Intel was talking about Centrino motherboards being the new stepping-stone for these new machines. In fact there was demos of theses ultra smalls. They were trying to hype them to potential PC manufactures but it apparently didnt come to light fast enough. This recent derivative as you called it was yes defiantly because of the Mac Mini but Intel was just saying see proof in concept, come on PC manufactures see they sell, join in the fun. Apple was not by any means a pioneer in this form factor either; they were just the first to mass-produce them at this low cost. I just showed pictures of the Mini-ITX to give people the idea of just that.

I'm not defending Intel, I was just stating something I knew. I've been playing with Embedded boards, let it be PowerPC, VIA, Nec, AMD, ARM for years. My friends and I have built machines half ths size of the Mini.

This subject just got me because I had a Mini machine way way way before Apple.
post #24 of 49
Quote:
Agreed, that's why I bought one. Absolutely love that form factor, however the Mini Mac has a lot of faults that keeps it from being perfect. Lack of upgradeability is one; I own the Hoojum cubit 3 as shown in my previous post. It is the same footprint but taller, the reason is it has a full 3.5 HD Seagate 200GB 7200 rpm drive. Calling the Mini better then any ITX out there is a bit over stated, you might be comparing the speed but as of recently there are Centrino and P4 models available which makes it much faster, with 4 USB, Firewire, wireless, hardware encryption, ect.

Is the mini really any less upgradable than a similarly sized ITX computer? We have a MiniBox in the office. It costs about the same as mini, but it doesn't have a CD/DVD, and the processor is a pathetic 800MHz C3. The 2.5" drive barely squeezes into the unit. Taking apart a mini is no more difficult than doing the same for slightly larger, yet less well equipped ITX computers.

So in my eyes the mini is much better. It's smaller than anything out there, and the onboard equipment is all-around better. I'll be surprised if you ever see a well equipped P-M or a P4 in an enclosure as small as the mini's. The P-M is a hot processor when it's not running in low power modes.

Quote:
I'm not defending Intel, I was just stating something I knew. I've been playing with Embedded boards, let it be PowerPC, VIA, Nec, AMD, ARM for years. My friends and I have built machines half ths size of the Mini.

You can get a high-end ARM9 (203Mhz) computer (that includes tons of peripheral support, ram, and flash) in a single, 17x17mm package these days. It's just that the ARM9 isn't exactly a g4. When the Freescale G4's come out, they will allow the mini to get very small.
post #25 of 49
Quote:
Is the mini really any less upgradable than a similarly sized ITX computer? We have a MiniBox in the office. It costs about the same as mini, but it doesn't have a CD/DVD, and the processor is a pathetic 800MHz C3. The 2.5" drive barely squeezes into the unit. Taking apart a mini is no more difficult than doing the same for slightly larger, yet less well equipped ITX computers.

So in my eyes the mini is much better. It's smaller than anything out there, and the onboard equipment is all-around better. I'll be surprised if you ever see a well equipped P-M or a P4 in an enclosure as small as the mini's. The P-M is a hot processor when it's not running in low power modes.

Well it sounds like you have an older one. Via is up to 1.2mhz, most come with a media drive and the new Centrino processors should prove to be cooler. I'm yet to see a Mini-ITX to use a putty knife to open. Listen, I don't want to defend this platform, it's a hobby and a toy just like the Mac Mini. I am never going to do anything the resembles real work on either platform.
post #26 of 49
Quote:
You can get a high-end ARM9 (203Mhz) computer (that includes tons of peripheral support, ram, and flash) in a single, 17x17mm package these days. It's just that the ARM9 isn't exactly a g4. When the Freescale G4's come out, they will allow the mini to get very small.

Yes, I wasn't comparing it to the G4, just giving some background. When the new Frescales come out, I'll be able to buy a board the same size, as Apple puts in the Mini no problem. Embedded Tech is a hot item, and theres plenty of it around. I have a brand new G3 750FX embedded board, that I bought a show a month ago.
post #27 of 49
Hey!! I have an idea!

Let's make a small computer that will fit well into peoples living rooms with their entertainment centers. Lets go one step further and say that this thing and Windows are thehub of a digital lifestyle! What a visionary I am!

Sincerely,

Bill Gates
post #28 of 49
Quote:
I'm saying that Intel tried to push the concept of a small mini-pc to the public before Apple drew it out on paper. I went to a conference two years ago where Intel was talking about Centrino motherboards being the new stepping-stone for these new machines

This subject just got me because I had a Mini machine way way way before Apple.

I don't really care who was first, but were these Intel ideas around before Apple's G4 Cube? (mid-2000)
post #29 of 49
Calm down. Intel, who is it? Any records for good design?
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #30 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by Relic Honorable mention, AMD bringing computers to poor people all over the world.
[/B]

Thanks for the images, Relic!!

I really like this one and as an ex-Peace Corps, I can see a great, though not so lucrative market for this. Now if the cover was stainless steel and waterproof so that it could act as a heat sink, you could water cool the thing by dropping it in a creek. Maybe enough for a G5.

People in garages will always be ahead of the corporate design curve and that's good! It is just irritating to read Gates and Intel repeat something that someone else said a year ago and act as if they came up with the idea. At least in 6th grade you could throw something at the kid that did that! It's like Bush talking about world cooperation against terrorism.
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
post #31 of 49
two words, well three: what f8cking rubbish. if i was an Intel shareholder i'd be hella pissed off. that was such a f8cking waste of public relations time, money, and effort. a lame desperate attempt to distract attention from Switchers dying to get their hands on a Mac mini.

jesus christ i can't believe this rubbish... why do people feel SO threatened by lil ol' Apple?

maybe because the iPod and iTMS KICKED THEIR ASSES HARDCORE so their competitors fear factor on the consumer computing side has gone up exponentially
post #32 of 49
Anyone wonder why people need a clock on the OUTSIDE of their computer?

Seriously. Intel would need to understand what features are useful before just stuffing everything into an ugly box. The lines are stupid, too. Thats the thing they can't figure out. Simplicity is best.
post #33 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by I Thrash Therefore I Am
Anyone wonder why people need a clock on the OUTSIDE of their computer? .

Because there's no room inside
post #34 of 49
Quote:
I love micro systems, especially because I live in a loft. That JVC is nice; I might want one for work.

Here's mine;

ooooooooooo, I will take one of those and a mini...let the fun begin
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #35 of 49
Quote:
Intel is not in the business to feel threatened by Apple.

Which is exactly why I laugh. Intel is a chip maker, and as such isn't even in the same business as apple... it's funny when they try and produce a highly stylised, non-performing piece of plastic.
post #36 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by Mac on a Mac
Hey!! I have an idea!

Let's make a small computer that will fit well into peoples living rooms with their entertainment centers. Lets go one step further and say that this thing and Windows are thehub of a digital lifestyle! What a visionary I am!

Sincerely,

Bill Gates

Windows XP Media Center Edition
proud resident of a failed state
proud resident of a failed state
post #37 of 49
In related news, Intel is suing Apple for disclosure if its trade secrets before they even knew they were thinking about them.
Mac user since before you were born.
Mac user since before you were born.
post #38 of 49
Quote:
Intel is not in the business to feel threatened by Apple, but they may be threatened by IBM for other reasons. However, Intel is the standard bearer for a sea of monkey-see monkey-do OEM parts companies, many of which I deem worthless. They are trapped in an overcompetitive market where innovation must come from Intel, and so that is what Intel is trying to do: push things a bit. Remember how USB wasn't adopted by the PC industry? Intel made that. Now they know they have to go the extra mile and spoon feed their OEMs in order to make anything happen.

would the whole Centrino thing be along the lines of what you're talking about? yeah yeah i know its the Intel integrated chipset/cpu/wifi/whatever but thanks to Centrino those OEM losers can all boast Wifi in their suck ass laptops

whoa i've got some excess energy floating around today... i'll explain maybe some other time or go vent in another thread/post/forum/site/the real world/ my therapist was rather busy today so we only had a short session
post #39 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by groverat
Windows XP Media Center Edition

To get switchers, Apple must outclass Media Center by alot. We've talked about the OS having to do so "by a lot" for years and so far it hasn't. Maybe with Tiger it can help, but I think with the iPod and now the Mini, we will see that it is the hardware, not the OS that creates switchers!

I wish that were not the case, but it seems to be. It is up to Apple to then make the OS and iApps and QT create the re-sale! That means full screen QT for consumers and no nag screens.

A year or so ago we were hoping that QT could be its own handheld OS. Now with the iApps we can see that Apple needed QE and the big cpu's to run everything from the Mac. I am still hoping though that QT can become the eventual device player of choice for everything ... seamlessly with mp3's mp4's and HD ... on all platforms. iTunes has (for good reason) had to break from this model, but I hope in someway, even it gets folded back into QT.
post #40 of 49
The mini-Mac is not at all an innovative concept. All Apple did is miniaturize a computer using off the shelf components, and since the limiting factor is the size of a CD/DVD drive, the computer is about the shape of a CD drive. Intel did the same thing.

Chances are good that if Dell were to make a "mini", they would add better RAM expandability, maybe a better video chipset or even an agp slot, and would include a full array of ports on it. As usual, Apple's execution of the mini contains a few glaring flaws aimed at boosting profit margins and at shortening the computer's usable life-span. Which is forgivable since Apple priced it right, but still annoying.

What would be most impressive is if Apple were to offer a mini-tower, with an agp video slot, three RAM slots, room for an extra HD, and a dual G4 daughter card. Apple could just take the old Powermac G4 and miniaturize it. If Apple could do that, and end up with design about the size of a few minis stacked together, it would be real innovation.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Intel flaunts Mac Mini-like concept PC