or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Will July Macworld bring a REAL Powerbook?!?!?

Will July Macworld bring a REAL Powerbook?!?!?

post #1 of 80
This past update...idk if you guys cared...but I was pissed off. I saw on Apple.com "new powerbook" yet after looking at the specs(since I didn't memorize the previous specs) I felt it was the same powerbook and in order to not seem so lame they though if they make the super track pad it would be a huge hit!

Is there anything pointing to a real powerbook coming out with Tiger at Macworld in July? I go out of country from May to the end of the june, and I am just praying that when I get back to Hawaii there will be a new powerbook waiting for me.
I need a new moniter...
I need a new moniter...
post #2 of 80
well you can only be talking about a Powerbook G5. Apple will release it as soon as they can. Heck they could give you a Pbook G5 right now, but it would be fugly and think like a Dell. I'll take a current Powerbook over any PC (you sound like you're all about processor speeds) just because it WORKS.
post #3 of 80
nah, I am not that obsessed with the idea of a powerbook G5.

I know nothing about building a G5 that goes into a powerbook, and I would be happy if they never did a powerbook G5 but at least got a G4 one that was close to the 2ghz levels. I have a 1.6 G5 I use right now. Since I am getting a powerbook to replace my G5(not literally but for while I go away for college in fall). I would want a G4 that can keep up with my G5 I use currently.

Basically if they CHANGE the powerbook I would be happy. Either physically and make it lighter ect. As long as they don't just bumb up every spec a little bit. They might as well have just given everyone a price drop rather then pass off the little speed bumb as an actual update.
I need a new moniter...
I need a new moniter...
post #4 of 80
This is my biggest complaint about apple right now...
I sold my g5 (STUPID MISTAKE) to get a powerbook... well after using them at the apple store I realized that they are the exact same powerbook from 2 years ago (1.25ghz powerbook). Same motherboard, same processor (7447a), same enclosure, same ram, same screen... its pathetic.

You have a right to be concerned about the processor... but more importantly other things as well... including bus speed, graphics card and graphics card bus speed, lcd quality, and longevity.

I seriously believe this is the last 7447a powerbook we'll see and I dont' think it will be around for long. Powerbook sales are horrible compared to what they used to be. Personally I'm going to wait for the next powerbook update before buying one of these. I think they are a horrible update, and apple would be just as well off if it was still the same 1.25ghz powerbook they released 2 years ago... with the updated options of course.

This isn't apple's fault... this is motorolas. The 7447a is officially EOL in my eyes. Do I see a powerbook g5 coming soon? nope, but I hope it does.

I don't see how apple can update the ibook line until the powerbooks are updated as well. I think apple is in a bind right now with the powerbooks and they know it.

I think apple will do ALL THEY CAN to get make sure an approperiate powerbook is "announced" at WWDC... "announced: shipping 2-3 months later". As far as july macworld... apple quit doing that event so I doubt any apple hardware product will be announced there.

We can only hope for the powerbook's sake.

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

Quote:

post #5 of 80
Whiney b#tches.

I'm still on a 700MHz iBook.

Shut your spoiled pie-holes.

"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
post #6 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by johnq
Whiney b#tches.

Ouch, my deepest condolescence.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #7 of 80
Quote:
Whiney b#tches.

....I don't mind using those iBooks. SInce apple is so genious in the design department. when I borrow my familys(I think its like around 500mhz or something actually) ibook, I get a lot of compliments from girls that it looks soooooo cool and new. When I let them know its close to 5 years old or so. They don't care cuz its "pretty" :-D
I need a new moniter...
I need a new moniter...
post #8 of 80
Apple doesn't attend that MacWorld now that it moved (boston/mass?) any longer so I'm doubting it.
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

post #9 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by Chikara
....I don't mind using those iBooks. ... They don't care cuz its "pretty" :-D

Dual USB ice book is actually fine when you max the ram and install a faster HD.

I mean, for the stuff I do...(all web coding and small PSD work).

Anyway the good thing is that I'll skip the G4 series entirely and go from G3 to G5 PB. Someday?
post #10 of 80
Quote:
Anyway the good thing is that I'll skip the G4 series entirely and go from G3 to G5 PB. Someday?

Assuming a g5 is what is released... I wouldn't bet the farm

Quote:

Quote:

post #11 of 80
Apples Price to Performance ratio is whats hurting them, especially when they dont include newer technologies that exist in competitors hardware. I have a single 1.8Ghz G5 PowerMac, I got it when it first came out for about $3000, now its only worth half that, and, needless to say, Im upset; furthermore, Im not impressed with its performance. Having said all that, I like and prefer Apple because I find it easier to work with and more reliable, but the price to performance ratio is devastating.

As an example: Alienware Laptop(s) Vs. Apple PowerBook (17)

Alienware MJ-12m 5500:
Height = 1.6"
PC3200 DDR Memory
128MB Video Card (Standard)
7200rpm Hard Drives (up to 2)
SmartBay for Optical Drive / Secondary Hard-Drive
SPDIF Digital Audio Output
Intel Pentium 4 Processor (Up to 3.4Ghz w/ 800MHz FSB)

Apple G4 PowerBook:
Height = 1
PC2700 (333MHz) DDR SDRAM
128MB Video Card Only available in 17 Superdrive Model
5400rpm Hard Drive (only 1 & at 5400rpm)
No SmartBay for Optical Drive / Secondary Hard-Drive
No SPDIF Digital Audio Output
G4 (Up to 1.67GHz w/ 167MHz FSB)

One thing I want to bring up is the Height debate; I know it has been discussed heavily before, but try this: take a ruler and mark where 1 inch is and where 1.5 inches is, use your thumb and index finger to grasp your own personal perspective while doing the following A/B test and asking these questions:

A (1) : Is this sexy?
B (1.5) : Is this totally not sexy?
A (1) : Is this worth paying more and not getting the performance I need?
B (1.5) : Is this height addition worth the sacrifice for getting better internal components?

My opinion: if the extra 1/2 inch in height would mean getting PC3200 DDR Memory, better standard video cards, a 7200rpm Hard Drive, and the possible ability to have more than one hard drive, then I say the extra 1/2 inch is worth it. Also, trying to find info about the G4s FSB is impossible; I spent more than 30 minutes trying to find it (Apple refers to the system bus, which, unless Im wrong, is the same as the FSB), and if 167Mhz is correct well thats an extremely poor front side bus.

In other Laptop hardware:

Alienware MJ-12m 7700:
PCI-Express
256MB PCI-Express x16 Graphics
PC-4300 DDR2 Memory
Serial ATA Hard Drive(s) with optional RAID 0 or 1 configurations
Advanced High-Performance, Low-Noise Heat-Pipe Active Processor Cooling Technology

Again, in my opinion, Apples price to performance ratio would be better if it included these technologies. Im aware that including all these technologies would most likely push the PowerBook height to the 2 inches, which is unacceptable; however including some of these technologies would be nice and, quite frankly, needed.
-wt-
-wt-
post #12 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by 00100011
Apples Price to Performance ratio is whats hurting them, especially when they dont include newer technologies that exist in competitors hardware. I have a single 1.8Ghz G5 PowerMac, I got it when it first came out for about $3000, now its only worth half that, and, needless to say, Im upset; furthermore, Im not impressed with its performance. Having said all that, I like and prefer Apple because I find it easier to work with and more reliable, but the price to performance ratio is devastating.

Powermac, those were released as 2500... did you add extras?

Yes that dual 1.8 is slow, not because the processor is slow but because there isn't another processor. If you would have waited 3 months you could have got hte dual 1.8 for the same price and been sitting pretty. The dual 2.0 is plenty fast and I'm sure there isn't that big of a difference between speed of the two. Sorry you feel this way, I wish I could tell everyone to wait when something is around the corner... that's why I waited for rev b machines.

You're right, would adding a little height to the powerbook be that big of a deal if it meants getting a faster graphics card (ie 9800) / faster ram?

I can't justify the speeds of these machines, they are already obsolete IMO... g4 is dead for professional machines. If they can fit a g5 into the iMac and the XServe they can fit it into 1.5" space on a powerbook, but what remains to be questioned is 1. battery life 2. fan speed 3. Metal heat 4. bus speed

If apple can get all of those under control, especially #1 they will have their g5 powerbook. I have a feeling this is closer than any of us suspect. Not the g5 powerbook but an updated powerbook. IBooks are stagnent until apple updates the powerbook or powerbook sales will be almost non existent.

Last quarter was the WORST quarter for powerbook sales in 5 years. That is depressing. I think a faster processor and better features... (graphics card, ram, etc) is what is keeping the sales so low. Its too easy to justify purchasing an iBook over a powerbook... you get better screen and better graphics card with the powerbook.... that isn't worth the extra 600-800 dollars.

Quote:

Quote:

post #13 of 80
Quote:
Is there anything pointing to a real powerbook coming out with Tiger at Macworld in July? I go out of country from May to the end of the june, and I am just praying that when I get back to Hawaii there will be a new powerbook waiting for me.

I think there is a need for some polls...

Will we see any powerbook update?
- No powerbook update at WWDC 2005
- There is some update

What are the chances for these updates:

- Graphics card,
- 7200 RPM drive,
- FSB and memory speed
- HD monitor
- Processor with a better power management

Which processor:
- G4
- Dual G4
- G5
- Cell

I no longer care about a processor as long as other haracteristics are good.

I use IBM T40/T41 and I can't see much on the sun. What about Powerbooks and iBooks?
post #14 of 80
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 00100011
[B]As an example: Alienware Laptop(s) Vs. Apple PowerBook (17)

Please, please, stop comparing Apple and PC's!

If you are on this forum you are probably a Mac user. Would you give up that to work on a PC?

It's probably true that PC's out there might be faster than the current Macs, but you have to think about the whole picture when comparing PC's and Macs.

Macs are more reliable and last way longer than PCs.
Mac OSX is far superior and more user friendly than the competitor.
Macs are more elegant and well design hardware.
Mac software (the majority) are better applications than PCs.

So, when you put all this together that's what makes a Mac such a great computer experience after all. Maybe PCs are faster now, but soon Macs will c
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
MacPro 12 core
post #15 of 80
Quote:
This past update...idk if you guys cared...but I was pissed off. I saw on Apple.com "new powerbook" yet after looking at the specs(since I didn't memorize the previous specs) I felt it was the same powerbook and in order to not seem so lame they though if they make the super track pad it would be a huge hit!

They improved the performance and reduced the price. What more could you want?

Quote:
Is there anything pointing to a real powerbook coming out with Tiger at Macworld in July?

Serious question: is there a MacWorld in July? If yes, will Apple attend?
post #16 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by THT
They improved the performance and reduced the price. What more could you want?

Serious question: is there a MacWorld in July? If yes, will Apple attend?

If you consider adding 167mhz to the clockspeed a "performance increase" then I have to disagree with you... if you consider the adding 5400 rpm drive as a performance increase, then again I have to disagree with you.... you have been able to put 5400rpm drives in powerbooks since ti1ghz days.

I seriously doubt apple will attend East Macworld... they have stated over and over again that it costs so much money to do SF, Tokyo, Paris macworlds and WWDC that is really hard to afford Boston as well.

Quote:

Quote:

post #17 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by gugy
Please, please, stop comparing Apple and PC's!

Did you even READ my post before criticizing it? I never said "PCs are better/faster than Macs." I was purely talking about the internal components of competitor PC laptops versus the Apple PowerBook, and how the PowerBook needs to incorporate these newer technologies; I suggest you re-read my post.
Quote:
If you are on this forum you are probably a Mac user. Would you give up that to work on a PC?
It's probably true that PC's out there might be faster than the current Macs, but you have to think about the whole picture when comparing PC's and Macs.
So, when you put all this together that's what makes a Mac such a great computer experience after all. Maybe PCs are faster now, but soon Macs will c [/B]

I'd like to point out this part of my previous post:
Quote:
Apples Price to Performance ratio is whats hurting them, especially when they dont include newer technologies that exist in competitors hardware. I have a single 1.8Ghz G5 PowerMac ... I like and prefer Apple because I find it easier to work with and more reliable, but the price to performance ratio is devastating.

Furthermore, I still stand by my opinion:
Quote:
My opinion: if the extra 1/2 inch in height would mean getting PC3200 DDR Memory, better standard video cards, a 7200rpm Hard Drive, and the possible ability to have more than one hard drive, then I say the extra 1/2 inch is worth it. Also, if the G4s FSB is in fact 167Mhz, then thats an extremely poor/weak/slow front side bus.
-wt-
-wt-
post #18 of 80
Quote:

All of your claims are subjective. And your point about "better applications" is too unspecific to even be debatable.

Let's concede that Macs are "more elegant and well design hardware." Is that worth paying the cost of a PC laptop, and getting half the specs?

Some people would say "yes", and others "no."

But don't act like the issue isn't worthy of debate because of your perceived value of the "mac experience."
post #19 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by wilco
All of your claims are subjective. And your point about "better applications" is too unspecific to even be debatable.

Let's concede that Macs are "more elegant and well design hardware." Is that worth paying the cost of a PC laptop, and getting half the specs?

Some people would say "yes", and others "no."

But don't act like the issue isn't worthy of debate because of your perceived value of the "mac experience."

well, so then go buy a PC.
The thing that drives me crazy is people always complaining about Apple. I understand that their hardware might not be the FASTEST out there, but the whole experience as being a Mac user is more important IMHO than have the FASTEST machine available.
Apple should catch up with the latest speed improvements and offerings, I agree. But, I would never think at this time about going to a PC because they are somewhat behind with their current line up.
MacPro 12 core
MacPro 12 core
post #20 of 80
Lets not turn this into a debate thread...

Do you guys see an update coming sooner than august? I definitely do.

My reasons (restating)...

1. ibooks are stagnet without it
2. powerbook sales are sufferring, lack of hardware updates
3. e600's should be done around that time
4. newer technologies are coming out like better batteries
5. LCDs are WAY outdated
6. Motherboard is suffereing big time compared to other laptops and computers: bus speed, graphics speed / card, ram speed.
7. durability (I have not been happy with the aluminum enclosure, I have seen too many come into be repaired from dropping them).

I stand by these reasons as not to buy a current powerbook. I don't feel they are as advanced as they should be.

The powerbook is exactly where the imac was 10 months ago, and where the powermac was 2 years ago... at a dead end.

Quote:

Quote:

post #21 of 80
Quote:
Did you even READ my post before criticizing it? I never said "PCs are better/faster than Macs." I was purely talking about the internal components of competitor PC laptops versus the Apple PowerBook, and how the PowerBook needs to incorporate these newer technologies; I suggest you re-read my post.

I'd like to point out this part of my previous post:

Furthermore, I still stand by my opinion:

You are entitled to have whatever opinion you want. that's not the point.
The point is everybody always whine about Mac not being this or that or not offering this or that. the real question is, are you willing to give up all of Mac has to offer to move to a PC?
For me they have to really drop completely the ball for me to start even considering that.
As far as I know, at this time they are doing pretty good in keeping me as a loyal user.
MacPro 12 core
MacPro 12 core
post #22 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by emig647
Lets not turn this into a debate thread...

That is kinda hard to avoid with a thread title of "Will July Macworld bring a REAL Powerbook?!?!?" After all the current Powerbooks are real if not a bit over priced.
Quote:

Do you guys see an update coming sooner than august? I definitely do.

Yes but what that update is remains a conflicted set of ideas in my mind.
Quote:

My reasons (restating)...

1. ibooks are stagnet without it

Actually if the iBooks are out selling PowerBooks at the moment it would be silly not to pay attention to them. A business is about sales if Apple has momentum someplace in the line up they really should strive to maintain that momentum.
Quote:
2. powerbook sales are sufferring, lack of hardware updates

Well we believe they are selling but it is certain that the lack of competitve hardware is an issue. It certainly is another case of Apple letting a product line slowlly bleed to death on the alter of neglect.
Quote:
3. e600's should be done around that time

I'm hoping that they are done like in the next couple of weeks. It will take time to get product based on them out the door. So far though I have not seen indications that Freescale is shipping, however their schedule doesn't call for mass shipments just yet.
Quote:
4. newer technologies are coming out like better batteries

Yes that is a possibility. Or Apple could simply stop scrimping on batteries. For the iBook batteries are very important as that machine needs extended run times on battery.
Quote:
5. LCDs are WAY outdated

Well there is a debate in and of itself. If you are part of the crowd that likes tiny pixels then you are probally right.
Quote:
6. Motherboard is suffereing big time compared to other laptops and computers: bus speed, graphics speed / card, ram speed.

I do believe that the next rev will take care of some of these issues. But you do have to understand that this is Apple, even the high end machine is likely to suffer relative to what it could be.
Quote:
7. durability (I have not been happy with the aluminum enclosure, I have seen too many come into be repaired from dropping them).

Actually this is an issue with both the iBook and the PowerBook. Maybe they will go with the latest technology wood!
Quote:

I stand by these reasons as not to buy a current powerbook. I don't feel they are as advanced as they should be.

The new PowerBooks probably won't be as advance as they should be either. After all Apple has been lacking here for some time.
Quote:

The powerbook is exactly where the imac was 10 months ago, and where the powermac was 2 years ago... at a dead end.

That is not quite true. Atleast now we as consumers can see where Apple can go for potential up grades. We have the e600, the 7448, the PPE's and even all of Cell as potential upgrade paths. 2 years ago it didn't look like Apple had an alternative.

Dave
post #23 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by wizard69
Actually if the iBooks are out selling PowerBooks at the moment it would be silly not to pay attention to them. A business is about sales if Apple has momentum someplace in the line up they really should strive to maintain that momentum.

That's my point... they are out selling hte powerbooks... and the ibooks will be up for revamp in 1-3 months... if the powerbook isn't advanced they wont' be able to advance the ibook without the specs running straight into the powerbooks. Theh line between the models is too thin as it is now. Could you imagine how the powerbook sales would be if the ibook had 1.5ghz and 1.33ghz processors and a better graphics card? The 12" powerbook wouldn't sell at all! And if it did it would be for the cool factor.

And the LCD response times are way higher than the pc laptop screens... That was what I was referring too... but I'd also like smaller pixels please... thanks.

Quote:

Quote:

post #24 of 80
Quote:
well, so then go buy a PC.
The thing that drives me crazy is people always complaining about Apple. I understand that their hardware might not be the FASTEST out there, but the whole experience as being a Mac user is more important IMHO than have the FASTEST machine available.
Apple should catch up with the latest speed improvements and offerings, I agree. But, I would never think at this time about going to a PC because they are somewhat behind with their current line up.

The G5 "experience" is just like the G4 "experience" (fiasco) from a users standpoint. (it's all happening again)

When that "experience" becomes a constant performance struggle it gets on our nerves. You never know what Apple is going to release, and once again lately they have been falling short on what is expected of them from their core user groups, and legacy users.
When things that don't go into a powerMac, or a Powerbook that most users think should, the usual BS you hear from everyone is, "well... It'll be in the next update for sure". But if you decide to go with the current update some things are just going to be old parts that no one is interested in when it comes to resale.

Your precious Apple "experience" is all about f***ing you over. They are waiting for parts to become outdated to get them at bargain prices, then they charge you an arm, and a leg for some shitty update you never really wanted, and they also are improving their new computer sales by making the computer you just spent a fortune on harder to sell because it's totally outdated by the time the next update comes, and that update will again be falling behind technologically because of something new. Then again you will hear "it'll be in the next update for sure".

What a great experience gugy. I've experienced it more than once. And I didn't like it last time either.
onlooker

onlooker

post #25 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by onlooker

Your precious Apple "experience" is all about f***ing you over. They are waiting for parts to become outdated to get them at bargain prices, then they charge you an arm, and a leg for some shitty update you never really wanted, and they also are improving their new computer sales by making the computer you just spent a fortune on harder to sell because it's totally outdated by the time the next update comes, and that update will again be falling behind technologically because of something new. Then again you will hear "it'll be in the next update for sure".

What a great experience gugy. I've experienced it more than once. And I didn't like it last time either.

uhh, what's the reason to have a PowerBook?

What I really want is Tiger OS X and user expirience with software. I need a mobility of a laptop. I don't want to want to upgrade for several years.

Will I be able to do this in June, 2005?
post #26 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by bazad

Will I be able to do this in June, 2005?

That's the million dollar question isn't it.
onlooker

onlooker

post #27 of 80
We'll all know soon enough. I am betting the 970GX actually makes its appearance soon. If that is the lower-power G5 everyone seems to be discussing (although no name has been given to it) I guarantee it will be for the PowerBook line. Make no mistake, several revs of Mac OS X-ago there was mention in kernel extensions of the PowerBook G5. Apparently heat issues, et al, deemed it not ready for prime-time. That was 8 months ago now. Soon. When? My guess is WWDC.
...we have assumed control
...we have assumed control
post #28 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by onlooker
The G5 "experience" is just like the G4 "experience" (fiasco) from a users standpoint. (it's all happening again)

When that "experience" becomes a constant performance struggle it gets on our nerves. You never know what Apple is going to release, and once again lately they have been falling short on what is expected of them from their core user groups, and legacy users.
When things that don't go into a powerMac, or a Powerbook that most users think should, the usual BS you hear from everyone is, "well... It'll be in the next update for sure". But if you decide to go with the current update some things are just going to be old parts that no one is interested in when it comes to resale.

wow,
I am surprise onlooker. I thought you were a Mac fan.
I agree with some of your points. I am disappointed with some of Apple moves as well. but I do not believe Apple are trying to F**k us over as you said.
I am still a mac believer and I would rather use a mac even with the problems you mentioned than move to a PC.
Cheer up man!
MacPro 12 core
MacPro 12 core
post #29 of 80
i see there are still lots of apple apologists on this site

hopefully that 970GX is the low-powered G5 and goes into a PB soon
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
post #30 of 80
And with the G5, could/should/would we expect a new chassis...?!?

Like the leap to the G5 on the PowerMac line and the advent of the now familar 'cheese-grater' chassis...

I say IBM PowerPC 970GX CPUs, 4GB DDR SDRAM, 8x SuperDrives, 7200rpm SerialATA150 HDDs & nVidia Quadro FX Go1400 GPUs...

With a HD-ready 1920x1200 17" LCD screen...

In an all-new black carbon fiber shell with an aluminum frame...

SWEET!
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
post #31 of 80
I seriously doubt apple will add 7200 rpm drives to their line up... especially with the introduction of a g5 laptop. The g5 will be hard enough on battery life as it is, the addition of a 7200 rpm drive would KILL that battery to dust.

I expect a new chassis, carbon fiber? I doubt it. Carbon fiber is too delicate for a portable laptop... one bump or drop and you have freying carbon fiber. Its ironic we are talking about carbon fiber vs aluminum (ok I am)... but 2 weeks ago I took off of my carbon fiber skidplate and frame guards off of my YZF 450 2005 and replaced them with aluminum ones. It turned out the aluminum was lighter and more durable. The carbon fiber was starting to frey and warp on the frame guards.

I'd like to see them bring back titanium... I really liked the ti's and I really like the thinkpad t series (also titanium).

But at the very least I'd say DEFINITELY expect a new chassis.

Quote:

Quote:

post #32 of 80
Quote:
I seriously doubt apple will add 7200 rpm drives to their line up... especially with the introduction of a g5 laptop. The g5 will be hard enough on battery life as it is, the addition of a 7200 rpm drive would KILL that battery to dust.

I expect a new chassis, carbon fiber? I doubt it. Carbon fiber is too delicate for a portable laptop... one bump or drop and you have freying carbon fiber. Its ironic we are talking about carbon fiber vs aluminum (ok I am)... but 2 weeks ago I took off of my carbon fiber skidplate and frame guards off of my YZF 450 2005 and replaced them with aluminum ones. It turned out the aluminum was lighter and more durable. The carbon fiber was starting to frey and warp on the frame guards.

I'd like to see them bring back titanium... I really liked the ti's and I really like the thinkpad t series (also titanium).

But at the very least I'd say DEFINITELY expect a new chassis.

I still wish they offered the 7200 rpm drive as BTO; these Alu's are a pain in the ass to open and replace the drive. I've done it 3 times so far and I always manage to break one of the metal clips. I really dislike the aluminum casing as well, heres hoping for a change.
post #33 of 80
Quote:
You are entitled to have whatever opinion you want. that's not the point.
The point is everybody always whine about Mac not being this or that or not offering this or that. the real question is, are you willing to give up all of Mac has to offer to move to a PC?
For me they have to really drop completely the ball for me to start even considering that.
As far as I know, at this time they are doing pretty good in keeping me as a loyal user.

You dont expect me to eat the cheese with out the whine do you? Whining is an integral part of this community, without I wouldnt be here because thatll mean you all took the cool aid. There is no point trying to stifle it, embrace it, and use it as blackmail to keep these forums interesting.

Oh, and brand loyalty always has this way of coming back to bite you in the ass so dont sink the dingy just yet.
post #34 of 80
Quote:
wow,
I am surprise onlooker. I thought you were a Mac fan.
I agree with some of your points. I am disappointed with some of Apple moves as well. but I do not believe Apple are trying to F**k us over as you said.
I am still a mac believer and I would rather use a mac even with the problems you mentioned than move to a PC.
Cheer up man!

Don't get me wrong. I like the OS a lot, and the computers to a point, but it's become a constant burdening to purchase them. Sometimes there is the unthinkable alternative. And sometimes it looks a heck of a lot better than what I've been dealing with for a few years while waiting for them to get their act together.

My last Mac I thought was insanely great was my 9600/200MP that I upgraded the processors on. That's 9 years ago.
onlooker

onlooker

post #35 of 80
Quote:
If you consider adding 167mhz to the clockspeed a "performance increase" then I have to disagree with you... if you consider the adding 5400 rpm drive as a performance increase, then again I have to disagree with you.... you have been able to put 5400rpm drives in powerbooks since ti1ghz days.

Oh I agree with you. A wink smiley was there for a reason.

But on the one hand, Apple did increase performance, a tiny percent I give you, but they also added some features such as dual channel DVI, the motion sensor, Bluetooth 2.0 w/EDR, and lowered the price $100 to $200. They did the absolute minimum in protecting the features per dollar or performance per dollar ratio for a new model. It is a better Powerbook G4 compared to the previous model.

But on the other hand, I agree with most of you guys. I've been a proponent of a Powerbook G5 for a long time. The Powerbook G4 is really a mid-ranged laptop and should be had for $1400 to $2400 or so. The $2400+ space should be for a Powerbook G5.

Quote:
I seriously doubt apple will attend East Macworld... they have stated over and over again that it costs so much money to do SF, Tokyo, Paris macworlds and WWDC that is really hard to afford Boston as well.

If they are not going to attend MacWorld in July, the probably of a Powerbook announcement there is near zero. The thread topic is answered.
post #36 of 80
Comparing a Powerbook to an Alienware laptop is laughable. The Alienware's battery life is what, half an hour? If that. And it weighs at least twice as much as a PB. I'd love to see a guy set his Alienware up on a traytable on a transatlantic flight with his Pentium 4 and dual 7200 RPM hard drives, and start up Flight Simulator. He wouldn't even get off the ground.

I don't think the GX is the low-power version, I think it's the multicore version (available in single-core too). The FX is the low-power part, and IBM hasn't been able to get it to work reliably. We might not see a G5 PB until well after WWDC.

The PB line is going to languish for a while. We all might as well get used to it. In the meantime, perhaps Apple will allow the iBook line to get faster.
post #37 of 80
Quote:
Originally posted by Relic
Ouch, my deepest condolescence.

How about me? I have to use my mothers iMac 233.

Still waiting for that PBG5.. :/
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
post #38 of 80
Quote:
Comparing a Powerbook to an Alienware laptop is laughable.

Why is it laughable? Because you think I was comparing an Apple to a PC laptop to see which one was "better?" Again, for the third time, I'm talking about internal components because I feel that the PowerBook is lacking; I'd love to have both an SATA 7200rpm hard drive and DDR400 RAM in a laptop.
Quote:
The Alienware's battery life is what, half an hour? If that. And it weighs at least twice as much as a PB. I'd love to see a guy set his Alienware up on a traytable on a transatlantic flight with his Pentium 4 and dual 7200 RPM hard drives, and start up Flight Simulator. He wouldn't even get off the ground.

Do some research before run that condescending mouth of yours:

Apple 17" PowerBook
-58-watt-hour lithium-ion battery (with integrated charge indicator LEDs) providing up to 4.5 hours of battery life (17-inch model)
-Weight: 6.9 pounds (3.1 kg) with battery and optical drive installed

Alienware MJ-12m 5500
-Primary Battery: 12 Cells, 8800 mAH Long Battery Life: 12 Cells for ~2.2hrs
-Weight: 7.6 pounds

Granted, the MF-12m 5500 is a little heavier than the PB (not twice as much), and the battery life is quite a bit shorter than the PB (but not half an hour). Having said that, I feel those setbacks in the Alienware MJ-12m 5500 are worth having a better video card, faster RAM, a faster hard drive, and the possibility of having a second hard drive. Yet again, I use and prefer Apple, and all Im saying is that I feel the current PowerBooks are quite behind in their hardware specifications; they could and should be better.
-wt-
-wt-
post #39 of 80
How can you compare Apple to a PC?

just kidding People, he is comparing performance or Apple Software vs XP software, he simply is saying why isn't Apple putting higher tech components in the PB?

I agree, I was looking about a month ago at Apple for the first time, but I'm holding back. I agree the components are superior, but it seems this is why Apple hasn't included them. They would eat up too much juice, they would heat up too much if they were to construct a G5 PB. I think they're are still a year to year and a half from production. I am using as we speak an older Compaq. It's on its last leg. Once it dies I'll buy. Still not positive it will be an Apple. I look forward to an Apple store opening up in a couple of weeks here.

Quote:
As an example: Alienware Laptop(s) Vs. Apple PowerBook
post #40 of 80
Quote:
Whiny b#tches.

700 Mhz? luxury! my mac is still a 266 G3 wallstreet PB running OS 9. been waiting to get some positive financials (presently) to upgrade.
apple gets "it."
apple gets "it."
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Will July Macworld bring a REAL Powerbook?!?!?