or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › One picture a day.

One picture a day. - Page 4

post #121 of 264
Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnJ

Why does my camera *suck* in conditions like that? I fiddled with the settings all night and couldn't get one decent shot.

The exposure is simply too long.

You can:

1: Use a tripod (or a table, and use the timer).

2: Try using the high-speed sequence mode, and hold your hand as steady as you can, then pick out the sharpest photo and delete the others.

3: Use a camera with Anti-shake.

4: Use a camera with a faster lens.

5: Use slow sync flash (night time mode) and see if you like that effect better.

6: Just take hundreds of photos and hope one turns out okay.

7: Realize that even if photos are not sharp, they can still be beautiful (your photo is actually very nice. Fantastic color).

Slow Sync, hand held:

post #122 of 264
Okay, I'll see what I can do. I'm using a Canon PowerShot S200. (due for replacement soon anyway). Thanks.

Edit: Okay, it looks like it has an exposure compensation range of 2EV to +2EV in 1/3EV. I'll try that.
post #123 of 264
Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnJ

Why does my camera *suck* in conditions like that? I fiddled with the settings all night and couldn't get one decent shot.

Motion blur.

There is simply not enough light

. You can try to use a tripod, but tripod only prevent the shakes coming from the photographer, but It will not freeze moving people or objects.

. you can use the flash, but the background will be dark, because the difference of lighting between the guy and the background will be too high

. you have to buy a new camera, and shot at 1600 or 3200 iso with a fast lens, like 1,4. Fuji is planning to introduce the first compact camera who work at 1600 iso. Otherwise low light condition pictures recquieres reflex cameras like the 350 D.
post #124 of 264
My favorite animal :

post #125 of 264
rock mimetism :

Parent and child

post #126 of 264
Nice pics.

Sorry but I've forgotten the name of the animal, what is it called again?
Abhor the Stereotype, respect the Individual.
1.33Ghz 15" Powerbook: 80GB HD, 1GB RAM, OSX.4.7, Soundsticks II, 320GB LaCie FW800 EXT HD, iPod 20GB 4G
Abhor the Stereotype, respect the Individual.
1.33Ghz 15" Powerbook: 80GB HD, 1GB RAM, OSX.4.7, Soundsticks II, 320GB LaCie FW800 EXT HD, iPod 20GB 4G
post #127 of 264
Quote:
Originally posted by Kishan
naked on the beach!!!!!!!! Yeah baby! Chicks dig boats.

Hmmm, you have naked chicks on the beach and you are taking pictures of guys on a boat??
post #128 of 264
Quote:
Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent
Hmmm, you have naked chicks on the beach and you are taking pictures of guys on a boat??

Isn't this a family oriented forum?
post #129 of 264
Quote:
Originally posted by mattyj
Nice pics.

Sorry but I've forgotten the name of the animal, what is it called again?

Marmottes.
post #130 of 264
Nice marmot.
proud resident of a failed state
proud resident of a failed state
post #131 of 264

This is my girlfriend on the last (and biggest by far) absail during our canyoning session in Nepal, 2003. I'd already completed it when i took the picture.

Taken on the same Sony Cybershot DSC-F77 as my earlier photo from New York, so i couldn't zoom (the zoom on the camera is virtually useless).

One day i'll get a real camera
post #132 of 264
Quote:
Originally posted by Powerdoc
Marmottes.

Do they make good eating?

Marmotte Provencale?

Blanquette de Marmotte?

Marmotte Flambé?

<Homer>Mmmmm.......Marmotte Flambé</Homer>
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
post #133 of 264
All I remember is backpacking with my dad, we used to throw rocks at the marmots (near them, actually, just to scare them away from the food) while sitting around a lake during lunch break.

Those were nice days.
post #134 of 264
Cool thread. That pic of the bike with the icicles was excellent.

I wasn't aware that marmots were found in Europe. Definitely one of the coolest animals out there. I think I'd be a marmot if I were an animal, although if I had more ambition I might go for being a wolverine. Marmots have it good though, lounging around in scenic areas, little fear of humans, they like to whistle at passersby, belligerent on occasion as need be.

I try to take a pic or two on occasion, I'll see if I can come up with one or two when I get home.
post #135 of 264
Quote:
Originally posted by crazychester
Do they make good eating?

Marmotte Provencale?

Blanquette de Marmotte?

Marmotte Flambé?

<Homer>Mmmmm.......Marmotte Flambé</Homer>

I don't know, it's strictly forbidden to hunt marmotte in the national park of the Vanoise.
I doubt that marmotte provencale exist, because provence is not the right place for marmottes. In France you only found them in mountains : Alps, and Pyrenees (wrong english spelling).
Perhaps a ragout of marmottes existed in the past. Who knows ?

If you are interested by weird alps food, there was the famous liquor called viperine. You catch a viper, you put it alive in alcohool, where she become drunk before dying. I am lucky : nobody ask me to drink this terrible stuff
post #136 of 264
Quote:
Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath
Cool thread. That pic of the bike with the icicles was excellent.

I wasn't aware that marmots were found in Europe. Definitely one of the coolest animals out there. I think I'd be a marmot if I were an animal, although if I had more ambition I might go for being a wolverine. Marmots have it good though, lounging around in scenic areas, little fear of humans, they like to whistle at passersby, belligerent on occasion as need be.

I try to take a pic or two on occasion, I'll see if I can come up with one or two when I get home.

Well for the fear of human it depends of marmots. There is marmottes who will fly in panic if they see you at less than 100 meters, some others are domesticated and will support you at 15 to 20 meters ( I shot this ones). In some places, they can eat in your hand.

Marmots hate dogs, and for a marmot eagles and dogs are the worst annoyings animals on earth. Marmottes are one of the most popular animals of the alps. I wasn't aware that they existed in the US, i used to think that just their cousins existed (hound dogs)
post #137 of 264

Taken a few minutes ago out of my window.

Sony DSC-P100 @ 3.2MP default settings.

Cropped and Shadow/Highlighted with PS... other than that, all natural

Its kinda creepy when sands and sunset mix up like this
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
post #138 of 264
My friend's dog when she was still a puppy...took a while to get the shot but it turned out well.

High-Res Pic

So the pic didn't show up and the link didn't work...this may work instead...if anyone has a better way to host pics let me know.
Puppy Picture
post #139 of 264
Quote:
Originally posted by ZO

Nice pic, Zo
post #140 of 264
Quote:
Originally posted by ZO

give it up for the p-100!
post #141 of 264
This is my first time posting in this threads. I have some marmot pictures, but I think I'll change the subject. This picture was taken today by my brother and myself:

MusicMobs: Music recommendations based on your iTunes library. Publish your playlists.
MusicMobs: Music recommendations based on your iTunes library. Publish your playlists.
post #142 of 264
That is a sweet-ass picture, Zo.
post #143 of 264
Here's a self portrait I did while I was studying photography in Edinburgh...

post #144 of 264
And another of the London Eye for fun...

post #145 of 264
Quote:
Originally posted by adpowers
This is my first time posting in this threads. I have some marmot pictures, but I think I'll change the subject. This picture was taken today by my brother and myself:

What a nerd! (Me too. Awesome pic. Was it hard to line everything up correctly? I know System Preferences doesn't always put a desktop pic exactly where you want it)
post #146 of 264
It was fairly easy for that okay quality. The camera was on a tripod (albeit, not a good one). I zoomed in to fill the screen, then my brother put the screen down, I took a picture, we put it on the computer, and set it as the desktop. Our camera takes photos in 3x2 aspect ratio, so it seems to fit pretty well on the screen. Leaving the camera in the same spot, I zoomed out and took the picture again. There are lots more on Flickr.
post #147 of 264

Now that's developing a concept...
post #148 of 264
Zo, that is an excellent shot.

Edit, this image seems to be screwing up the formatting of the page.
post #149 of 264
Lets see if this is better.....

Taken with a Pentax ist ds two weeks ago. I love ISO 3200 and dig the noise.
post #150 of 264
I hope this counts... took a pic of my future fun car that i want... took a pic of me and photoshoped it in

Lone Wolf
Lone Wolf
post #151 of 264
Merci Merci!

I just got back from Brittany (St. Malo, Mont Saint Michel, etc) so if there are any good pics I'll post one or two..
post #152 of 264
Got Married in Vagas on Valentines Day 2005!

View the Album HERE
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34

post #153 of 264
Nice pics Fship : and my best wishes for your marriage.
post #154 of 264
Quote:
Originally posted by Powerdoc
Nice pics Fship : and my best wishes for your marriage.

Thank you for your kindness Powerdoc

I too have a Canon 20D like you and I love the camera. The pictures above were taken with it. That camera very very very low noise as you can see in the low lighting situations.

Fellows

post #155 of 264
Isle or Aaran, Scotland

post #156 of 264
Lovely valley, TJ. If not for the bicycles, you could easily imagine Frodo and the gang coming up around the corner.
post #157 of 264
Quote:
Originally posted by tonton
Lovely valley, TJ. If not for the bicycles, you could easily imagine Frodo and the gang coming up around the corner.

The bikes are an important memory for me though- some friends and I biked 32 miles that day (which is a lot for me).

But yeah- if you were just looking at it for photography's sake, the bikes could go.

Peace
-taco
post #158 of 264
Quote:
Originally posted by tacojohn
The bikes are an important memory for me though- some friends and I biked 32 miles that day (which is a lot for me).

But yeah- if you were just looking at it for photography's sake, the bikes could go.

Peace
-taco

For photography's sake, the bikes add character.
post #159 of 264
This one's in London as well, on the river walk...

post #160 of 264

Casio Exilim Z55
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › One picture a day.