or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Amazon offers $35 off Mac OS X "Tiger" pre-orders

Amazon offers $35 off Mac OS X "Tiger" pre-orders

post #1 of 38
Tipsters have recently noted that Amazon.com is offering a $35 rebate on all pre-orders of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger (single license version), reducing the cost from $129.99 down to $94.99. Additionally, the online retailer is offering $50 Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger Family Pack, which allows users to install the operating system on up to 5 Macintosh computers. According to Amazon, only purchases made between Jan. 9 and May 31, 2005 qualify for the discount. Further details and a printable copy of the rebate are available here.

Update: It appears that, for unknown reasons, Apple has once again asked Amazon to disable Mac OS X Tiger pre-orders. Amazon has also removed the associated rebate info.
post #2 of 38
I'm there!

Education pricing is better, but the rest of us are unlikely to do better than $94.95 (and free shipping too).

And with software, I'm hoping Apple can get sufficient quantities to all sources pretty quickly anyway.
post #3 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by nagromme
I'm there!

Education pricing is better, but the rest of us are unlikely to do better than $94.95 (and free shipping too).

And with software, I'm hoping Apple can get sufficient quantities to all sources pretty quickly anyway.

How much will the education discount be?
post #4 of 38
Edu pricing on OS X is typically $50 off, or $79 (and Apple too has free shipping).

EDIT: $60 off, equals $69! Even better... (See below.)

(Check out some of Apple's edu software prices, too... sometimes you pay less than half price! Like Logic Express for $99 I seem to recall.)
post #5 of 38
$50-$79 off and it's instant. No need to mail it in like Amazon. I'll stick with Apple's rebate.
post #6 of 38
Currently, it's $69 for Panther. I'd expect the same for Tiger.
Never Doubt Apple.
---------------------------

"Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice." -Steve Jobs
Never Doubt Apple.

"Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice." -Steve Jobs
post #7 of 38
Not $79 off: $79 (US) is the the total after subtratcing the $50 discount.

As I say, edu pricing is better than Amazon, if you qualify.

I didn't know they'd dropped Panther to $69. When did they do that? Is is possibly only because it's an aging version? (I can't even go check now because the Apple store is suddenly completely bogged down!)

If that's true for Tiger too then you edu folks get $60 off!
post #8 of 38
hmm, my search for mac os x tiger at Amazon.com seems a bit off

Quote:

post #9 of 38
Quote:
Not $79 off: $79 (US) is the the total after subtratcing the $50 discount.

As I say, edu pricing is better than Amazon, if you qualify.

I didn't know they'd dropped Panther to $69. When did they do that? Is is possibly only because it's an aging version? (I can't even go check now because the Apple store is suddenly completely bogged down!)

If that's true for Tiger too then you edu folks get $60 off!

IIRC, it's always been $69 for education customers.
Never Doubt Apple.

Never Doubt Apple.

post #10 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by macnut222
IIRC, it's always been $69 for education customers.

Panther's £69 over here and £99 is the normal price.... They need to sort their pricing out really.
Daniel Tull
Daniel Tull
post #11 of 38
Quote:
I'm there!

Amazon usually gets OS shipments out quick. They have in the past. But remember here its not $35 off, its a $35 rebate. Edu pricing isn't a rebate, so you're not stuck waiting for a check that may never come.

And pre-order quick if you're thinking of it, in case they kill the deal in a few days, like they did a couple of years ago.
post #12 of 38
I want to pre-order tiger but I live in the UK, would it be worth my while to get it from the US or wait until the Apple store in the UK have it?
post #13 of 38
So, where is this "Family Deal" that the article makes mention of. I've searched Amazon, looked under "Other products by Apple," and so on and cannot find it? Anyone got a link?

What's the Government discount going to be, any thoughts?
post #14 of 38
If this offer is only for pre-orders UP TO May 31, that suggests to me that Tiger's launch will be between 1 and 30 June...
post #15 of 38
well, this should certainly speed early adoption of the os, wouldn't you think???
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #16 of 38
Yep, looking back at my notes when helping friends shop... looks like $69 is it and always has been. So I'm that much MORE jealous of edu folks!

I don't think Amazon's guess on the date tells us much... it might mean something or it might be just an arbitrary date, and for now we don't know which
post #17 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by mjuchter
So, where is this "Family Deal" that the article makes mention of. I've searched Amazon, looked under "Other products by Apple," and so on and cannot find it? Anyone got a link?

What's the Government discount going to be, any thoughts?

I found it here by searching for the ASIN # listed on the rebate form. However, you will see that the product is listed as "not available" and the "Date first available at Amazon" is March 28, 2005. Another funny thing is that the top of the rebate form refers to it as a "Family Pac" while the other mention correctly calls it a "Family Pack."

I've tried to alert Amazon to the problem, and my experience is documented here.

Current U.S. Federal employee price for Panther is $107.10 at the Apple Store; expect a similar price for Tiger.
post #18 of 38
Too late people. Amazon no longer lists it for sale. Just like last time, they posted it, got a big rush (probably), maybe yelled at by Apple, then pulled the offer (and the product!)
post #19 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by Louzer
Too late people. Amazon no longer lists it for sale. Just like last time, they posted it, got a big rush (probably), maybe yelled at by Apple, then pulled the offer (and the product!)

What are you talking about? I'm still seeing it.
post #20 of 38
I dont know if i got lucky or something, but when i purchased a laptop with the edu pricing, i didnt have to prove it at all. I just put that i went to the UA and that was that. If thats the case everyone could say they go to some university and get the edu prices. Is this normal?
post #21 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by A Yellow Bandit
I dont know if i got lucky or something, but when i purchased a laptop with the edu pricing, i didnt have to prove it at all. I just put that i went to the UA and that was that. If thats the case everyone could say they go to some university and get the edu prices. Is this normal?

That is normal at Apple.com. Obviously, I do not believe non-students or employees of schools should do this, but the online system only asks for your school. If you go to the Apple Store, they will probably ask for an ID.
*Powerbook G4 12" - 1.5 GHZ
*iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ (Mid 2007), *Apple 20-inch Cinema Display (Aluminium)
*iPhone 4S, Airport Extreme (2011) *MacBook Air 11-inch (Late 2010)
post #22 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by ibook911
That is normal at Apple.com. Obviously, I do not believe non-students or employees of schools should do this, but the online system only asks for your school. If you go to the Apple Store, they will probably ask for an ID.

Hmm... seems a bit too easy in my opinion.
post #23 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by ic1male
If this offer is only for pre-orders UP TO May 31, that suggests to me that Tiger's launch will be between 1 and 30 June...

Don't be so sure. Rebates can be withdrawn as quickly as they are offered. I think this is Apple trying to reduce web-wide speculation of an April launch, prior to them actually releasing it. After all Mac mini would have been even more of an amazing revelation if we hadn't already known it was being announced on the day it was!
post #24 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by krankerz
What are you talking about? I'm still seeing it.

Yep, now it seems back up for some reason. It was gone yesterday afternoon, as I went to my shopping cart and it said "We no longer offer this". Checked this morning, its back up. Hmmm.
post #25 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by telekon
Don't be so sure. Rebates can be withdrawn as quickly as they are offered. I think this is Apple trying to reduce web-wide speculation of an April launch, prior to them actually releasing it. After all Mac mini would have been even more of an amazing revelation if we hadn't already known it was being announced on the day it was!

I don't know what Apple's smoking, but I hope its not the same stuff you are! There's a huge difference between the mini and Tiger. Tiger's been talked about for years, everyone knows its coming, and it should be out in the next three months (according to apple). There's no 'surprise' value to be had. Its hard to imagine anyone having their iPod socks knocked off their feet if they saw on apple's page on monday "Tiger's released!" Now, without the leaks and all, I can imagine that happening with the mini (there was some of that when people saw how small it really was, but that's true with all of apple's products - they say the iPod mini looks and feels so much smaller in person then when you saw the original pics online).
post #26 of 38
FWIW - I pre-ordered Tiger yesterday from Amazon, printed my rebate form, and was told that estimated shipping date is May 24. My order still reflects that today. We'll see when it actually ships!
Mary
Mary
post #27 of 38
I pre-order on 3/24 for Amazon, but could not get my A9 discount applied to the order. I reset Safari and signed into Amazon twice without any luck.
post #28 of 38
Tiger is again available for pre-order with a $35 rebate from Amazon. Ordered today (3/26).

gc
post #29 of 38
This is a great deal. Especially if you're an Amazon prime member, like myself, for you get your free 2-day shipping, or next day shipping for $4. However, I still can't decide, if I want to get from Amazon, or Apple (once they have it available for preorder). If it was like iLife 05 and iWork, Apple might ship them enough before the release date that people get them a couple days early.
post #30 of 38
what mac won't tiger work on, i've got a slot loading dv g3??
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #31 of 38
Looks like Tiger is now the #1 seller in both Amazon Software & Amazon Electronics!
And it's not even out yet.
To infinity and beyond!
To infinity and beyond!
post #32 of 38
tiger in pre-order point to near relase date!! yeha 8) !!
also tiger missing manual is in pre order, good april to horizon
Close the world, open the Next
Close the world, open the Next
post #33 of 38
June 11th ship date!!
post #34 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by bazzler
June 11th ship date!!

Bazzler, Amazon is simply putting the later and later ship dates to make sure they don't get in trouble. Don't worry about that date.
post #35 of 38
Ok
post #36 of 38
And the promotion is no more. LOL, way to blow the secret lol.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
post #37 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself
And the promotion is no more. LOL, way to blow the secret lol.

The $35 rebate has been back up for two days. It is Amazon #1 selling Software title, so I don't understand what you mean by promotion being over. It looks like Amazon will offer this through the end of May
post #38 of 38
Question: If I were to buy a copy of an Apple OS as a "Family Pack", does anyone know if I could burn copies of the DVD? I travel a lot, and one of the computers I'd be putting Tiger on would be my laptop. The other would be my family's desktop Mac at home. I would like to be able to have a copy of the DVD with me in my laptop case and leave one at home, and not have to worry about which one is where. But if the copy wouldn't function, that wouldn't help.

Has anyone had any experience with eariler versions of the OS and the Family Pack? Could someone possibly test this theory?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Amazon offers $35 off Mac OS X "Tiger" pre-orders