or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" reaches final candidate stage
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" reaches final candidate stage

post #1 of 72
Thread Starter 
Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, Apple Computer's next-generation operating system, is just about ready to wrap.

According to sources and online reports, Apple has recently distributed Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger build 8A425, which it has deemed a final candidate.

In regards to software development, and more specifically Tiger, a final candidate is a pre-release software build that is under consideration to become final, or gold master.

With massive software projects such as Tiger, Apple will sometimes seed several final candidate builds before one is declared gold master.

Once a final candidate build of Tiger is selected to become gold master, its code will be frozen and sent to manufacturers for duplication on optical media. The software is then packed for retail and shipped to distributors and retail outlets.

This entire process -- from gold master to retail -- could take as long as two weeks, but will likely take only a matter of days in the case of Tiger. Nevertheless, sources say that Apple is unlikely to begin distributing copies of Tiger until the third week in April, though it may take pre-orders.

So far there is no indication that Tiger build 8A425 will become gold master, but it's close. The build carries only two outstanding glitches, according to reports. These pertain to nVidia GeForce graphic cards and the compatibility of the Japanese character set in Carbon applications.

Furthermore, several tipsters note that the latest build of Tiger has shed its "Pre-release" indicators, which were previously visible throughout the system.

According to a previously published report on the ThinkSecret Web site, Apple plans to announce the completion of Tiger this Friday.
post #2 of 72
awesome.
post #3 of 72
My prediction: announce early next week (maybe even this Friday), with a ship date of May 1, but some people getting copies at the very end of April even so.

Looks like "first half of 2005" may not be a close shave at all. (Much less years late like some OS's I know... and Tiger hasn't even had hyped features stripped away either!)
post #4 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by nagromme
My prediction: announce early next week (maybe even this Friday)

that's actually Think Secret's prediction from 3 or 4 weeks ago.
post #5 of 72
Yep, once again, Windows is pie in the sky and Tiger is pie on my plate (soon to be in my belly)
post #6 of 72
I could swear that I never saw the name Windows in the main article, yet people seem to mention it all the time. Very interesting.
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
Reply
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
Reply
post #7 of 72
Yes, April 1 has been rumored for some time. But I think next week is a little more likely, if Apple doesn't want to rush in before having a GM more firmly in their sights.
post #8 of 72
Shipping by NAB (April 15th) for use with the new versions of the Pro apps that require Tiger features. If I was in the media production business, that jump would scare me a bit - new versions of apps with major feature enhancements, and a shiny new OS to run them on? :shiver:

Now on to new hardware announcements!

- Jasen.
post #9 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by nagromme
Yes, April 1 has been rumored for some time. But I think next week is a little more likely, if Apple doesn't want to rush in before having a GM more firmly in their sights.

I agree, I was thinking April 1 myself, but Apple may very well wait until next Tuesday before making the announcement for no other reason than to keep the gossips guessing.

But really, I AM very surprised it's coming out this early in 2005. I would have been happy with a WWDC release, but this has me stoked. Now I'll HAVE Tiger by WWDC ... maybe ... really hoping...

MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, 750GB HDD
Mac mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB HDD
iPhone 5S, 32GB

Reply

MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, 750GB HDD
Mac mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB HDD
iPhone 5S, 32GB

Reply
post #10 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by nagromme
Yes, April 1 has been rumored for some time. But I think next week is a little more likely, if Apple doesn't want to rush in before having a GM more firmly in their sights.

April 1 was a stupid release date, whether planned by Apple or just predicted by others. No one (and I mean no one of any seriousness in business to make money) releases products on Friday. Why? Because you don't get any press about it. Friday starts off the weekend. Consumers are busy with their lives, out on the town, ignoring the world, etc. They don't read the papers, skim the internet, ignore the TV. Apple would lose out on any free publicity they could get from newspaper articles and CNN clips (if they and all the rest of the so-called 'news' channels can break away from talking MJ and Shiavo).

Apple's tendency is to announce new products on Tuesday or Wednesday (which of course means another week without G5 updates). Don't see why they'd change here for such an important product of their marketing campaign (Bwahahahaha, yeah, I know, that was funny! Apple having a marketing campaign for a non-iPod product.)

I would, however, expect a saturday release. That's been the day for the last two (if not all) OS X versions. Which makes the most sense, because those who want to try it most are going to want to do it on the weekend, not 3am Wednesday (like MS makes its users do - sorry, I thought Windows references were required to post).

Now we all await two important pieces of information.
1) The build number of the final, because, dammit, without knowing the build number, apparently Mac users just might as well throw themselves under a bus while slitting their throats and drinking cyanide (neat trick, huh?). In fact most users seem just as happy to learn the build number than to actually use the new OS.

and
2) When will 10.4.1 be released, and what updates its going to contain (wait, i got this one, it'll contain 'improvements for stability' and include updates to graphic drivers, USB and Firewire, and networking components. I know, I'm reaching on this one, but, hey, that's what speculation is all about!
post #11 of 72
I'm glad to see 10.4 coming out if for no other reason than it will (hopefully) be up to 10.4.1 or 10.4.2 with major bug fixes out of the way by the time the PowerMacs get their next speed bump. Then I can buy this sexy new 64-bit OS to run on a mid-level PPC to replace my current 1999 Athlon 650 PC.

Booya!
post #12 of 72
Is it time for temporary INSANITY yet?


This news is pretty INSANE!!!

cool!

now on to new hardware for wwdc!!!

sweet!!!!

post #13 of 72
I'd like to see them ship this sooner rather than later. People are excited about this release and we'd like to get our hands on it to become familiar with it.

I hope this release sticks around for a few years and Apple chooses to update it rather than come up with some new cat name and ask people to pay for it. I doubt that, however, since OS updates seems to be a major cash cow for Apple.

They are inadvertently (or purposefully) creating a situation where people are running 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, and now 10.4...makes it very tough for developers. We can't assume that everyone has the money to upgrade their OS all the time (and yes, I know they should).
post #14 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by Louzer
April 1 was a stupid release date, whether planned by Apple or just predicted by others. No one (and I mean no one of any seriousness in business to make money) releases products on Friday.
...snip

Was? Nobody is claiming an april first release date.

Instead, it is rumored that the product will merely be announced on the first. The announcement will get a few sound bites here and there.

Then, when it actually is released, CNN will run short clips which show throngs of Mac heads waiting outside an Apple store. I predict these news clips will refer to "Apple, maker of the wildly popular iPod... "
post #15 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by Louzer
April 1 was a stupid release date, whether planned by Apple or just predicted by others.

technically, Tiger was announced last June on a Tuesday.
post #16 of 72
I am so excited!!!!!!!
post #17 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by Louzer
April 1 was a stupid release date, whether planned by Apple or just predicted by others. No one (and I mean no one of any seriousness in business to make money) releases products on Friday.

Yes, Fridays are terrible release days, but the rumor is that Apple will announce the release date on April 1. They may have released all sorts of NDA material to media outlets and prepped them for what may really be more of a late Thursday night announcement.

I could see it happening since the real news will be when it actually does ship...especially if they do the premiere parties like they've done before at the Apple Stores.
post #18 of 72
i cant wait.. i cant wait... im soo excited!!! ive beena mac user ever since this past december, and im soo siked for this new tiger... ive seen the demos on the apple site.. and it just makes me like "wow...." i cant wait
Lone Wolf
Reply
Lone Wolf
Reply
post #19 of 72
I certainly hope it comes out before the 28th of April, as I just ordered a new Powerbook yesterday, and 30 days is the free upgrade deadline, I'm told.

Does anybody know is that 30 days for the "release" of the OS, or is it 30 days from when they start shipping?
post #20 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by Louzer
[B]April 1 was a stupid release date, whether planned by Apple or just predicted by others. No one (and I mean no one of any seriousness in business to make money) releases products on Friday. Why? Because you don't get any press about it. Friday starts off the weekend. Consumers are busy with their lives, out on the town, ignoring the world, etc.
...

Wasn't panther released on friday ?
post #21 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by ragingloogie
i cant wait.. i cant wait... im soo excited!!! ive beena mac user ever since this past december, and im soo siked for this new tiger... ive seen the demos on the apple site.. and it just makes me like "wow...." i cant wait

Since last December?!? Boy, you must really be chomping at the bit!
post #22 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by spud
I certainly hope it comes out before the 28th of April, as I just ordered a new Powerbook yesterday, and 30 days is the free upgrade deadline, I'm told.

Does anybody know is that 30 days for the "release" of the OS, or is it 30 days from when they start shipping?

I believe--and could be wrong--that the free upgrade (usually for $20 with shipping and handling) is for those who purchase a new Mac for thirty days after the OS is announced, not before.

I don't believe your purchase qualifies.
post #23 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by Louzer
and
2) When will 10.4.1 be released, and what updates its going to contain (wait, i got this one, it'll contain 'improvements for stability' and include updates to graphic drivers, USB and Firewire, and networking components. I know, I'm reaching on this one, but, hey, that's what speculation is all about!

Dude, you forgot the most important part; 10.4.1 makes Tiger Snappier(TM)!
post #24 of 72
I'm really hoping we see them set the release date on Friday. I think it makes sense. I'm hoping the Think secret reports are spot on, and I think they will be. We'll hear something on April 1, and we'll have it in our hands by April 15.
*Powerbook G4 12" - 1.5 GHZ
*iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ (Mid 2007), *Apple 20-inch Cinema Display (Aluminium)
*iPhone 4S, Airport Extreme (2011) *MacBook Air 11-inch (Late 2010)
Reply
*Powerbook G4 12" - 1.5 GHZ
*iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ (Mid 2007), *Apple 20-inch Cinema Display (Aluminium)
*iPhone 4S, Airport Extreme (2011) *MacBook Air 11-inch (Late 2010)
Reply
post #25 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by fatchuck
Then I can buy this sexy new 64-bit OS to run on a mid-level PPC to replace my current 1999 Athlon 650 PC.

What 64-bit OS? Unless you enjoy a command line.
post #26 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by scottiB
I believe--and could be wrong--that the free upgrade (usually for $20 with shipping and handling) is for those who purchase a new Mac for thirty days after the OS is announced, not before.

I don't believe your purchase qualifies.

That wouldn't make any sense...
Any purchase of a new mac after the new OS is released should get the new OS 30 days or whatever.
I remeber back in the days of 9.x, I got the upgrade for free (+s/h) even though the OS came out after I bought my computer...
That'd be really sheisty if the OS came out two days after your purchase, and you still have to pay full price.
post #27 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by spud
That wouldn't make any sense...
Any purchase of a new mac after the new OS is released should get the new OS 30 days or whatever.
I remeber back in the days of 9.x, I got the upgrade for free (+s/h) even though the OS came out after I bought my computer...
That'd be really sheisty if the OS came out two days after your purchase, and you still have to pay full price.

from the apple support site:

"Apple has not yet announced what upgrade policy, if any, there will be for those who currently own copies of Mac OS X. With the exception of the 10.1 upgrade which was made available to all 10.0 purchasers, Apple has only offered a free or reduced-price Mac OS X upgrade to those who purchased (either retail or with a Mac) an older version of Mac OS X _after_ the newer version was officially released (or at least made available to order). Whether or not this will remain the case with Tiger, we'll have to wait until the official release to know."

that answers that. My powerbook should arrive on saturday. It would be worth the money for me to return it unopened, then purchase it again next week. The only question is: can I really have a new Powerbook sitting in my apartment without opening it? It will be a real test of my willpower.
post #28 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by Booga
What 64-bit OS? Unless you enjoy a command line.

??? All OS X iterations have been 32-bit OSs, just like Linux or Windows. Tiger (10.4) is the first Apple OS that is natively 64-bit compatible. No command line necessary...
post #29 of 72
Tiger will NOT be released on April 1st. Unless they are playing on tiger being a "joke". What kinda omen would that be releasing your latest product on April Fool's Day? It would on the other hand be the perfect date to convince thinksecret.com it was coming out on.... ;-)
post #30 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by dfiler
Was? Nobody is claiming an april first release date.

Instead, it is rumored that the product will merely be announced on the first. The announcement will get a few sound bites here and there.

Then, when it actually is released, CNN will run short clips which show throngs of Mac heads waiting outside an Apple store. I predict these news clips will refer to "Apple, maker of the wildly popular iPod... "

Sorry dude, crappy writing on my part. I meant 'announcing' on April 1, which is what the rumor thing stated above. As I said later, they have released the OS on Fridays, generally. But not announcing it.
post #31 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by fatchuck
??? All OS X iterations have been 32-bit OSs, just like Linux or Windows. Tiger (10.4) is the first Apple OS that is natively 64-bit compatible. No command line necessary...

Wow, someone needs to get away from the RDF and read up Apple's materials on Mac's 64-bitness. As I saw on Macintouch...

... I should also add that one of Apple's WWDC sessions is as follows:

Building 64-bit Solutions for Tiger
Are you developing an application that could benefit from more than 32 bits of address space? Mac OS X Tiger offers support for 64-bit command-line processes that can address vast amounts of memory. Learn the specifics of Tiger's 64-bit support and how to factor a Carbon or Cocoa application to run in conjunction with 64-bit backend processes.


So, not sure why Apple would be holding a session on how to talk to back-end processes if they had it in their Cocoa space.
post #32 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by spud
That wouldn't make any sense...
Any purchase of a new mac after the new OS is released should get the new OS 30 days or whatever.
I remeber back in the days of 9.x, I got the upgrade for free (+s/h) even though the OS came out after I bought my computer...
That'd be really sheisty if the OS came out two days after your purchase, and you still have to pay full price.

Yeah, but the mac's already been bought, and the OS hasn't been announced, so he/she is SOL. Theoretically you can call and if you bitch enough, might be able to squeeze out a 'free' update.

The technicality is all about the 'announcement' date, which is partly why Apple doesn't pre-announce their software way ahead of time.

Keep also in mind that even if you buy the computer after the release date, you might still get stuck with the previous OS, depending on who you buy from and how old the stock is, so you still might get stuck with the $20 'free' update.
post #33 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by webmail
Tiger will NOT be released on April 1st. Unless they are playing on tiger being a "joke". What kinda omen would that be releasing your latest product on April Fool's Day? It would on the other hand be the perfect date to convince thinksecret.com it was coming out on.... ;-)

But then again, Apple was founded on April 1. So you never know ...

MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, 750GB HDD
Mac mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB HDD
iPhone 5S, 32GB

Reply

MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, 750GB HDD
Mac mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB HDD
iPhone 5S, 32GB

Reply
post #34 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by AppleInsider
The build carries only two outstanding glitches, according to reports. These pertain to nVidia GeForce graphic cards...

gosh, and that only affects over half of all shipping macs for the past several years.

any idea what this "glitch" entails?
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
post #35 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by webmail
Tiger will NOT be released on April 1st. Unless they are playing on tiger being a "joke". What kinda omen would that be releasing your latest product on April Fool's Day? It would on the other hand be the perfect date to convince thinksecret.com it was coming out on.... ;-)

I think it was mentioned before that Apple Computer, Inc. was incorporated on 4/1/1976 so it might be a good date for Apple to use to announce "The Bestest OStest evar!!!!!1!11!"
post #36 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by rok
gosh, and that only affects over half of all shipping macs for the past several years.

any idea what this "glitch" entails?

Yeah, it's kinda unfortunate that this glitch is in the one area in which Macs are getting publicly pummelled at the moment, based on those awful D3 benches.

Me, I could care less about Doom 3, but there are many who do. Still, I'm guessing that the majority of them aren't sad enough to frequent bench-marking sites.
post #37 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by JamesG
They are inadvertently (or purposefully) creating a situation where people are running 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, and now 10.4...makes it very tough for developers. We can't assume that everyone has the money to upgrade their OS all the time (and yes, I know they should).

This is a big problem eh?

It is a pity they can't release an OSX 10.4 "express" or "lite" (edit: for FREE) which has none of the snazzy new features. I'm sure OSX 10.4 has configurability to turn things off like spotlight, graphic effects, RSS in safari, Automator, Windows printer sharing (there's a long list of things added since 10.1.x! What else could they disable?), while providing things like security and corevideo etc. It would allow new applications to run everywhere, they wouldn't have to keep doing old OSX security updates, and support could be standardised.

Still I'm not sure whether that is really feasible or not. What do you think?
post #38 of 72
Not feasible.

For every subset of features you can come up with that would satisfy new app needs, I can come up with an app that breaks that.

If you want the apps, you have to upgrade to the OS platform that provides the technologies those apps use. 10.4 is a *massive* upgrade in developer technologies, at a very fundamental level. People are going to see 'Requires 10.4' much more than they have any other version up until this point.

If they want those apps, (and they will, oh yes, they will) they have to upgrade. If you want the nice toys, you have to pay for them.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
post #39 of 72
Hi Kickaha, I assume you're responding to my "OSX 10.4-express" wish?
Quote:
Originally posted by Kickaha
Not feasible.
For every subset of features you can come up with that would satisfy new app needs, I can come up with an app that breaks that.

Are you saying that moving to 10.4 is going to break lots of old apps? If so, I hadn't heard that (this may affect my girlfriend who has some old software and classic stuff too).

Otherwise I'm not sure why a lite version that turns off the new features but updates the underlying OS (part of which is free in Darwin anyway) wouldn't be feasible. (Note I say it may be feasible, quite a different thing to being likely!)

I take your point that the new Apps that require 10.4 would force people to upgrade, and this may be Apple's desire. I'm sure some people who would've bought 10.4 would take a free 10.4-express if it was an option (I doubt that any goodwill, consistency, compatibility, etc would offset that).
post #40 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by GregAlexander
This is a big problem eh?

It is a pity they can't release an OSX 10.4 "express" or "lite" (edit: for FREE) which has none of the snazzy new features. I'm sure OSX 10.4 has configurability to turn things off like spotlight, graphic effects, RSS in safari, Automator, Windows printer sharing (there's a long list of things added since 10.1.x! What else could they disable?), while providing things like security and corevideo etc. It would allow new applications to run everywhere, they wouldn't have to keep doing old OSX security updates, and support could be standardised.

Still I'm not sure whether that is really feasible or not. What do you think?

uh thats why they do 10.3.x updates.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" reaches final candidate stage