or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › DeLay's going DOWN.

DeLay's going DOWN. - Page 3

post #81 of 247
Apparently, Texas needs to change the definition of "grand jury" to "partisan Democrat hit squad."
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #82 of 247
DEMOCRATIC OPERATIVES.

post #83 of 247
Quote:
Originally posted by FormerLurker
Apparently, Texas needs to change the definition of "grand jury" to "partisan Democrat hit squad."

Perhaps they do...

Quote:
The party pressure on Earle to indict Hutchison was dwarfed by demands that he put DeLay in the dock. Texas Democratic politicians could not forgive DeLay for demolishing their last vestige of power in what has become a heavily Republican state: the gerrymandered congressional delegation. Earle impaneled five grand juries before finding a sixth to indict DeLay on a flimsy charge of conspiracy in financing his redistricting initiative. As recently as two weeks before the indictment, Earle was signaling that prosecution of DeLay was unlikely. According to Texas sources, Democratic leaders made clear this was simply unacceptable.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #84 of 247
You know Texas: Hotbed of liberal sentiment.
proud resident of a failed state
proud resident of a failed state
post #85 of 247
Quote:
Originally posted by trumptman
Perhaps they do...

Nick

Nothing in your cited paragraph has anything to do with actual fact (tm), truth (tm) or is not speculation (tm).

Please Nick, I know you can read. I also know you are well aware of the fact that teaking of quotes and sources and phrases can provide a sentance with more meaning than it has.

For instance: Nick in recent weeks has signaled that Delay was absolutely correct in his actions which went against the arcane campaign fundraiser rules.

Hint: you signaled this because you didn't state explicitly that it wasn't true, nor have you explicitly done anything to suggest that the above statement couldn't be true, or isn't true.

A "nuh uhn" is meaningless at this point because the poison pill is in your asprin bottle already...
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #86 of 247
Quote:
Originally posted by SDW2001
Keep in mind...I don't like Delay.

The same way Naples wasn´t a Bush fan right?
post #87 of 247
Quote:
Originally posted by Northgate
"A Texas grand jury on Monday indicted U.S. Rep. Tom DeLay on a new charge of money laundering.

A different grand jury whose term ended last week indicted him on a conspiracy charge, forcing DeLay to temporarily step down as House majority leader.

Both indictments accuse DeLay and two political associates of conspiring to get around a state ban on corporate campaign contributions by funneling the money through the DeLay-founded Texans for a Republican Majority Political Action Committee to the Republican National Committee in Washington. The RNC then sent back like amounts to distribute to Texas candidates in 2002, the indictment alleges."

Money laundering carries a maximum penalty of life in prison. For DeLay and the similarly well connected, that would translate to, say, 3 months community service and a nominal fine?
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #88 of 247
There is much more to come - the lifeguards will have the final say.
post #89 of 247
Quote:
Originally posted by hardeeharhar
Nothing in your cited paragraph has anything to do with actual fact (tm), truth (tm) or is not speculation (tm).

Please Nick, I know you can read. I also know you are well aware of the fact that teaking of quotes and sources and phrases can provide a sentance with more meaning than it has.

For instance: Nick in recent weeks has signaled that Delay was absolutely correct in his actions which went against the arcane campaign fundraiser rules.

Hint: you signaled this because you didn't state explicitly that it wasn't true, nor have you explicitly done anything to suggest that the above statement couldn't be true, or isn't true.

A "nuh uhn" is meaningless at this point because the poison pill is in your asprin bottle already...

I have no ideal what you are getting at. I'm not patching quote together. I gave you the whole paragraph. The paragraph simply states that he was convining grand juries until he got one that would indict.

Nick

post #90 of 247
jeez. delay got indicted AGAIN?
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #91 of 247
I think I heard his lawyer claiming that the fact that the second grand jury handed down the indictment after only a day of deliberation proved beyond a doubt the whole thing was a partisan attack.

Sometimes defense lawyers don't seem to care much if they make any sense, as long as they get to wax indignant on behalf of their client.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #92 of 247
Quote:
Perhaps they do...

Nick

It helps if you link to your sources, so we can judge for ourselves their quality.
post #93 of 247
Quote:
Originally posted by groverat
You know Texas: Hotbed of liberal sentiment.

Travis county happens to be. It went 57-42 for Kerry.

Nick

Edit: And Earle ran virtually unopposed and got 85% of the vote.

post #94 of 247
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox
It helps if you link to your sources, so we can judge for ourselves their quality.

You can find easily find multiple sources that ill cite the fact that Earle has impaneled a grand jury six times. Pick the one you want and believe it.

Here is the latest AP feed on it via CNN.

CNN

Nick

post #95 of 247
Quote:
You can find easily find multiple sources that ill cite the fact that Earle has impaneled a grand jury six times. Pick the one you want and believe it.

Here is the latest AP feed on it via CNN.

CNN

Nick

From the article you linked:

Quote:
DeLay said Earle explained the change by telling DeLay's lawyers "that he has a runaway grand jury, the sixth grand jury he has impaneled and they're going to indict me."

So DeLay is the source for the "sixth grand jury" line.

Ummmm.... OK.
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #96 of 247
See, if Earle is a partisan operative somethingorother, it means Delay hasn't really been indicted, in much the same way that because Ken Starr was a partisan operative somethingorother, President Clinton wasn't really impeached.
post #97 of 247
Quote:
I have no ideal what you are getting at. I'm not patching quote together. I gave you the whole paragraph. The paragraph simply states that he was convining grand juries until he got one that would indict.

Nick

That isn't actually what it states.

Read it again.

Ok. I will tell you what it states. It states that he empaneled six grand juries. It states that the sixth one led to indictments. It says nothing of his motives for empaneling the grand juries. It says nothing of the results of the first five grand juries. It says nothing that you think it says.
post #98 of 247
Quote:
That isn't actually what it states.

Read it again.

Ok. I will tell you what it states. It states that he empaneled six grand juries. It states that the sixth one led to indictments. It says nothing of his motives for empaneling the grand juries. It says nothing of the results of the first five grand juries. It says nothing that you think it says.

I hate to break this to you, but making some expectations and assumptions of the person reading the article isn't "saying nothing."

Also why is the double standard not applied to your own reasoning. Why do you get to claim the first five grand juries found SOMETHING when nothing was reported? Why do you get to claim Earles motives are pure with no proof? Lastly, why do you treat inference like some mysterious thing that is not allowed to be used by the general public? Using presented information, using what you know and being able to predict likely events from that isn't some magical process.

Nick

post #99 of 247
Addendum: He has actually empanelled seven grand juries. It seems that every grand jury that ends its tenure is followed by another one until the prosecutors investigation is complete.

So there is nothing odd about having seven grand juries empanelled.

Edit: I incorrectly stated that "Each grand jury lasts for three months." It differs according to location. The purpose of a grand jury in our modern judicial system is to determine if there is sufficient evidence to prosecute a case, thereby giving the prosecutor a greater ability to pursue evidence in federal cases.
post #100 of 247
Quote:
I hate to break this to you, but making some expectations and assumptions of the person reading the article isn't "saying nothing."

Also why is the double standard not applied to your own reasoning. Why do you get to claim the first five grand juries found SOMETHING when nothing was reported? Why do you get to claim Earles motives are pure with no proof? Lastly, why do you treat inference like some mysterious thing that is not allowed to be used by the general public? Using presented information, using what you know and being able to predict likely events from that isn't some magical process.

Nick

Assumtions are for asses. There are facts Nick. Even that biased article knew enough not to claim that the prosecutor had empaneled the juries as fishing exercises.

You infered what you wanted to from the article without any basis in anything it states other than a sense at "what it was getting at". The facts don't support your claims and the article doesn't support your reading.

Innocence until proven guilty. While the prosecutor is not on trial, there is no evidence of any personality charateristic except a desire to clean house of corruption, which as has been pointed out is not biased by political affiliation, and which even if biased by political affiliation is no different than a republican president nominating a full tilt conservative ideologue for a supreme court justice. The random prosecution of corrupt democrats and only democrats is fine by me as long as it is clearly proven that they were corrupt.

Edit: I didn't claim anything Nick.
post #101 of 247
Quote:
Addendum: He has actually empanelled seven grand juries. It seems that every grand jury that ends its tenure is followed by another one until the prosecutors investigation is complete.

So there is nothing odd about having seven grand juries empanelled. Each grand jury lasts for three months.

Actually it is odd because you are supposed to use them to investigate whether there is enough evidence to prosecute a crime. There are three outcomes, indictment, no indictment, or let's go fishing until we find something we can make claims about and still fail in prosecuting even though we have an indictment.

Having an ongoing grand jury while basically looking for a crime is a fishing expedition in my book. I don't have to prove it. The actual prosecution of the crime will do that. Until then it is just speculation on both sides, including yours.

Quote:
Assumtions are for asses. There are facts Nick. Even that biased article knew enough not to claim that the prosecutor had empaneled the juries as fishing exercises.

Again, you draw your conclusion too soon and hold yourself to a different standard. An indictment is not a conviction. a prosecuter can decide to prosecute and have a weak case. The assumption that Delay did something wrong before convicted is an assumption on your part which makes you the ass.

Quote:
You infered what you wanted to from the article without any basis in anything it states other than a sense at "what it was getting at". The facts don't support your claims and the article doesn't support your reading.

You can infer what you want as well. We both make our predictions and in the end, one of us will have drawn a better conclusion. The facts will support one of our views at the end of this. You claim seven grand juries in succession all within a Democratic enclave, all after Delay fixed the gerrymandering within Texas and enraged the Democratic leadership within that state all amount to actual crimes. I claim that they don't and we will see if the conviction occurs. I don't mind making predictions because most of mine end up right regardless of what you care to claim about my reading.

Quote:
Innocence until proven guilty. While the prosecutor is not on trial, there is no evidence of any personality charateristic except a desire to clean house of corruption, which as has been pointed out is not biased by political affiliation, and which even if biased by political affiliation is no different than a republican president nominating a full tilt conservative ideologue for a supreme court justice. The random prosecution of corrupt democrats and only democrats is fine by me as long as it is clearly proven that they were corrupt.

Actually there is a pattern with this guy. You should do some reading under his name and Sen. Kay Baily Hutchison. He had running grand juries and even issued three indictments from which ZERO convictions were returned. The actions were seen as an attempt to derail her 1994 Senate campaign.

That to me is plenty of evidence of a personality characteristic.

Nick

post #102 of 247
I haven't assume Delay's guilt. I didn't call you an ass. There are far more descriptive words I can use but don't care to.

How many grand juries did Star empanel in pursuing Clinton?

Is more than one too many?
post #103 of 247

"Never one to lose touch with the common man, Congressman Tom DeLay poses at an earlier meet-n-greet with LST reader"

From www.lonestartimes.com
Moe has left the building
post #104 of 247
Lets just face it, If both partys used as much energy in making our country better as they do fighting each other all of our problems would have been solved but instead the American worker is the Pivot man for these two Circlejerks that are screwing the American worker everychance they both get. Billions spent fighting each other every election. Makes you sick when you look at what could be done with that wasted $$$. Democrats/Republicans both stink to high partison heaven.
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
post #105 of 247
I think a few Dems will go down before this is over and Delay will end up back high in the saddle.

http://www.DefendDeLay.com/site/c.fu....BE08/Home.htm

post #106 of 247
Quote:
Originally posted by Moe_in_Texas

I agree, partisans should stop hunting liberal witches.
post #107 of 247
Quote:
I think a few Dems will go down before this is over and Delay will end up back high in the saddle.

Wow. Tom Delay's website is putting forth the idea that it's all a partisan witch hunt. Go figure.

I can see where that would lead to the conclusion that Dems will go down and Tom will be riding high again.

After all, Tom thinks he's OK!

Gotta say, defenses of Delay must be awfully thin on the ground if that's your idea of a substantiating link.
post #108 of 247
Dear, dear addabox. Don't you know that the SCLMSM isn't reporting on it because they hate 'Murka?
post #109 of 247
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
Dear, dear addabox. Don't you know that the SCLMSM isn't reporting on it because they hate 'Murka?

Don't they ever.

Which leaves it to the non partisan straight shooters at, ahem, DefendDelay.com to set the record straight.

Thank god for the internets, and the end of consensual reality.
post #110 of 247
Well I heard some rumors on the internets the other day...

Yeah DeLay's screwed. The world is better for it. Hopefully he takes Frist down with him. Dirty bastards.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #111 of 247
Has anyone seen Delay´s mug shot yet? lol He appears to be very happy about the whole thing.

I can hear the Neocon fundies telling us that´s the look of an "innocent" man.
post #112 of 247
His eyes are quite bloodshot.

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

post #113 of 247
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
His eyes are quite bloodshot.

Dude, he is so totally high.
post #114 of 247
Quote:
Originally posted by Gilsch
Has anyone seen Delay´s mug shot yet? lol He appears to be very happy about the whole thing.

I can hear the Neocon fundies telling us that´s the look of an "innocent" man.

No he has the look of one who has taken the idiocy of a Democratic prosecutor to engage in record fundraising.

I've heard he's hoping for a third false indictment from the 15th grand jury so he can raise his fourth million.

Nick

post #115 of 247
A rousing endorsement of a well known scumbag.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #116 of 247
Quote:

Republicans practically invented modern day witch hunting. Clinton. Circa 1998.

They don't like it when it's thrown right back at them. Do they?
post #117 of 247
Quote:
A rousing endorsement of a well known scumbag.

A quote for the ages.

V/R,
Aries 1B
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
post #118 of 247
Quote:
Republicans practically invented modern day witch hunting. Clinton. Circa 1998.

They don't like it when it's thrown right back at them. Do they?

Nixon.

This whole Delay thing is going to blow up in the Democrat's collective(ist) face.

V/R,
Aries 1B
post #119 of 247
Quote:
Originally posted by Aries 1B
Nixon.

This whole Delay thing is going to blow up in the Democrat's collective(ist) face.

V/R,
Aries 1B

Um, that would be the Nixon with the exhaustively documented plan to use the mechanisms of the federal government to punish his political enemies, fix elections and control the media?

The Nixon who when those plans began to come to light conspired with his top lieutenants in a far ranging, illegal cover-up?

And, let's see, hounding Clinton for having sex with an intern represents, um, payback of some sort for Nixon's actual crimes?

And now that the Republican party is at it again (committing actual crimes), the idea is that the Dems should be careful because.......
ya'll are still mad about Nixon?

What?
post #120 of 247
i like the "mugshot" after shopping for a grand jury to "convict" him for his skills he shows confidence i guess the dems can't use that one photo ha ha ha

take a look it hurts to laugh this much,

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...type=printable
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › DeLay's going DOWN.