or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger build declared gold master

Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger build declared gold master - Page 4  

post #121 of 133
Ok people if there not going to release tiger on the 1st when do you think they will\
post #122 of 133
At this point I have no clue but one thing is for sure, the rumor sites are not saying a word...

Eric Just waiting at this point
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #123 of 133
I posted a list of possible release dates in this thread. Then the 24th June was guesstimated upon, however looking at my calendar I see there's a Sat on the 23rd April.

If any of these rumours are true, I'd place my money on that date for release.
Daniel Tull
Daniel Tull
post #124 of 133
Quote:
Originally posted by Kickaha
This isn't Usenet, and it won't be allowed to come to that. Insults may be the norm on other boards, but not here, and not in this forum. Cool it, or take an enforced vacation. Don't bait, troll, or otherwise antagonize, keep it civil. End of story. If you, or anyone else, have any further commentary on this policy, send it to me in PM, not in here. Danke.

Well said and thank you.
post #125 of 133
Quote:
Originally posted by danielctull
I posted a list of possible release dates in this thread. Then the 24th June was guesstimated upon, however looking at my calendar I see there's a Sat on the 23rd April.

If any of these rumours are true, I'd place my money on that date for release.

That's an interesting theory. I never looked at the dates that way.
post #126 of 133
Either Apple is flushing out the mole who is leaking info. or they are just going to annouce it is shipping the day of. That would defintely get attention.

Eric
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #127 of 133
Quote:
Originally posted by aplnub
Either Apple is flushing out the mole who is leaking info. or they are just going to annouce it is shipping the day of. That would defintely get attention.

Eric

That was my thought also. My sources have said that it wasn't ready. I mentioned that several days ago.
post #128 of 133
Quote:
Originally posted by dfiler
It seems like some are only here to piss on people who happen to be excited about the upcoming release of tiger.

T,FTFY

Quote:
Guess what haters, we all know that we're dealing with mere rumors. Being completely negative makes you look rude and socially inept rather than enlightened.

People who are cautious about upgrading, and are willing to delay gratification for 30 days or so, are "haters"? Gimme a break.
post #129 of 133
No one is calling cautious people "haters".

Nobody is saying that it is best for everyone to upgrade right away. I'm not sure how you would get that impression.
post #130 of 133
Quote:

Nobody is saying that it is best for everyone to upgrade right away. I'm not sure how you would get that impression.

This was the comment, I believe directed toward me, and perhaps others as well.

dfiler

_ posted 04-01-2005 01:07 PM _ _ _ _ _
_

It seems like some are only here to piss on people who happen to be excited about the upcoming release of tiger.

Guess what haters, we all know that we're dealing with mere rumors. Being completely negative makes you look rude and socially inept rather than enlightened.
post #131 of 133
Deep breath, everyone.

Count to 10.

Thread topic is 10.4 being declared GM or not, not who said what when to whom, 'k?

Merci.

I think danieltcull may be on to something with those dates. It'll be interesting to see how Apple chooses to try and utilize the news outlets regarding the recent world events swamping the news coverage.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #132 of 133
Quote:

The text I quoted is from your post. So, to whom were you referring?

Quote:

Hmmm...

Quote:
(ZO, page 1)
Just buy the darn thing and install it.

Also, by very strong implication:
Quote:
(Kickaha)Wait for the perfect software, and you'll never upgrade... and in the meantime, you'll still be running buggy software.

Yeah, I know Kickaha said "wait a week" in the previous line. Too short for me. The dismissive "meh" in that previous line lends weight to the "just upgrade already" tone I sense in the post.

And:
Quote:
(webmail)
I explained this to you early but you obviously didn't listen....

Lets wait until Mac OS X 10.4 doesn't have any bugs........and wait....and wait.

You wouldn't be using 10, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 if it was up to you.

Again, note the dismissive tone, the shallowness (IMHO) of the argument, and the way webmail misconstrues melgross's original post.

Panther's early bugs were NOT trivial: trashing FireWire drives ("only 'some' with a 'particular chipset', says aegisdesign -- those 'some' drives were FW800 drives with the Oxford 922 chipset, pretty much the gold standard for FW800 bridges, and used in drives by WiebeTech, LaCie, OWC, FireWire Direct, Maxtor -- see http://www.macintouch.com/panfirewire.html. There have also been reports of it affecting the Oxford 911 chipset. See, eg, http://www.macmaps.com/firewirebug2.html . Moreover, the bug may have persisted through several point updates. See ibid.); FileVault problems.... these were major, highly destructive bugs that caught a lot of early adopters unaware and caused a lot of headaches, lost productivity, and irretrievably lost data. They were also something (IMMHO) that Apple should have caught in testing before releasing. It's not like Oxford 922 is an uncommon bridge chip.

Beyond that, there are other reasons not to update right away. melgross has touched on several of these. If you want to, knock yourself out.

That said, there are plenty of us who are also not early adopters of ANY OS X point release either. They, too, have had a track record of bugs aplenty, some of them showstoppers, some destructive.

And once again, I'm not dissing early developers, who need to get their hands on releases ASAP -- that's the nature of their business. Nor am I criticizing other early adopters. If you aren't cautious -- hey, it's your data, not mine. I really don't care. Just don't tell The Rest Of Us that we're haters or fools or (insert dismissive description here) if we wait. And don't complain if a bug bites you. If you are cautious -- great. Your early adoption (and bug reports) provide a service to the community, as I have mentioned in previous posts. I salute you. But not all of us have the time, wherewithal or inclination to be testing new configurations without being reasonably sure they are going to work. Don't tell us that we have to volunteer for guinea pig duty.
post #133 of 133
Right.

Apparently since no one is interested in actually discussing the topic in the title, we can now put this puppy to rest.

Please take interpersonal discussions on who said what to whom when to PMs.

Better, if you want to create a thread discussing the relative merits of upgrading immediately/later as a consumer/professional, and how best to insulate yourself from potential problems, that sounds like a nifty new topic, as long as it doesn't involve the above sort of infighting.

Thenk yew.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
This thread is locked  
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger build declared gold master