or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › How to unlearn spelling using Mail

How to unlearn spelling using Mail

post #1 of 8
I was typing an email in Mail and had a word mispelled. I went to right click it to correct it and I believe I hit the learn spelling (I have no idea how) and the red line went away.

Where can I find the ditionary that stores those words to get this corrected?

Thanks,

Eric
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #2 of 8
This happened to me, as well. I found myself rather frustrated trying to figure out how to undo it. Can't say I found a way, either, such as yourself... That would suck if Apple forgot to make a way to unlearn bad spellings.
Lauren Sanchez? That kinda hotness is just plain unnatural.
Lauren Sanchez? That kinda hotness is just plain unnatural.
post #3 of 8
What was so bad was I hit "fn" + click and that caused the word to be learned. The "crtl" key is next to the "fn" key on iBook. Bad layout for right click and learn spelling shortcut.

Eric
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #4 of 8
There's a text file in user (your home directory)-->Library-->Spelling that looks like a concatenation of user-added words. I was able to open it in TextEdit, but I didn't try to edit it. Save a copy to your desktop just in case and then try deleting the offending word.
You can never justify the cost of building a bridge by counting the number of people swimming across the river.
You can never justify the cost of building a bridge by counting the number of people swimming across the river.
post #5 of 8
Thanks, I've been wondering this forever also.
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally posted by Voxapps
There's a text file in user (your home directory)-->Library-->Spelling that looks like a concatenation of user-added words. I was able to open it in TextEdit, but I didn't try to edit it. Save a copy to your desktop just in case and then try deleting the offending word.

I don't have a spelling folder. I have done a search with no luck.

Eric
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #7 of 8
I dont know if its the one mail uses but there is a dictionary in...

/usr/share/dict/words

EDIT: Although that is a useful dictionary... its not the one, although perhaps it could get used... words are not added to it. I just "learned" a word with textedit and it turned up in /Users/myusername/Library/Spelling/en

Hope that helps
post #8 of 8
Get this...

My iMac has that folder and file but my iBook does not. Weird!!

Eric
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › How to unlearn spelling using Mail