or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › TS: New Powermacs likely at NAB 2005

TS: New Powermacs likely at NAB 2005 - Page 3

post #81 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by admactanium
i'm happy there are no powermac updates. if think secret was wrong about the timing i'm inclined to believe they're wrong about the specs as well. i'd like to see a bigger jump.

You seem to forget that NAB runs until the 21st. There's plenty of time left for new Power Mac G5s.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #82 of 127
There's another Apple Event on April 20th
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #83 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by hmurchison
There's another Apple Event on April 20th

Were did you hear that?
post #84 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by the cool gut
Were did you hear that?

Yeah, where did you hear that?
post #85 of 127
It was in the last ADC mailings that came out.

Thanks to Eug Wanker's keen eyes

http://everythingapple.blogspot.com/...-on-april.html
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #86 of 127
Quote:
It was in the last ADC mailings that came out.

Thanks to Eug Wanker's keen eyes

http://everythingapple.blogspot.com/...-on-april.html

Does not look like anything to go crazy about. I am willing to bet new hardware towards the end of this month, if at all. WWDC will be the show case. Sadly. Apple needs something at WWDC to make the media go crazy and everyone already knows about Tiger.
post #87 of 127
The description sounds innocuous enough.

Given Apple's penchant for suing people, I can't see them showing off pre-production machines to a group of... broadcasting guys? Nor can I see them introducing new machines, unless Uncle Steve cuts the price to the point that even the hardest-core blockhead broadcast engineer has no choice but to make his station an all-Mac shop. I think now that the chance of seeing new Apple hardware at NAB is slim to none.

Broadcast organizations are notoriously gossipy, and any news of a next-generation PM or PB would be splattered over the net as soon as these guys got home.

What I do seeing Apple doing at this event is a lab showing these guys how to use PMs, Xserves, and Xsan to make their lives easier.

Apple's success with broadcasters overseas will also be brought to the forefront, methinks.

The head of Associated Press's technical development staff is violently anti-Mac, so I doubt this seminar has anything to do with ENPS integration.
post #88 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by Jared
Does not look like anything to go crazy about. I am willing to bet new hardware towards the end of this month, if at all. WWDC will be the show case. Sadly.

After the new TS report, it looks more and more likely that Apple will finally release the new Power Macs a few days before WWDC. Like last year.

Quote:

Apple needs something at WWDC to make the media go crazy and everyone already knows about Tiger.

Having TS with a second report confirming the first one (2.7 GHz 970FX max.), I doubt that we will see any surprise.
post #89 of 127
The latest report from TS sound quite plausible, but unfortunately also very underwhelming. I hope Apple will lower the prices to sweeten the deal. Else it's nothing but a simple 0.2GHz speed increase (probably not notisable at all).

Oh well, I need a new Power Mac soon so I guess I will be buying any way (probably going for the middle model (2.3GHz if rumors are to be believed))

\
post #90 of 127
If the updates are as modest as Think Secret suggests then there will be no 'special event'. Apple just puts speed bump news out as a press release.

Am I the only one think there is something strange going on here with TS?
post #91 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by vinney57
Am I the only one think there is something strange going on here with TS?

not sure what you're thinking, but my first instinct from today's update (weak specs) was that this "leak" might be just misinfo on apple's part.

1) an attempt to flush out a leak conduit.
2) an attempt to simply embarrass thinksecret via inaccurate info.

my logic:

- why would apple even bother with such an "upgrade" when it seemed so minor after a year's wait?

- does such an update seem likely, when there is so much gossip about *much* more impressive techs being available in near future. eg: 970MP, PCI-E, etc...

- if the macbidouille report on inventory backlog is correct, have the retailers just made bad calculations? or is apple really planning to wait til WDC to release a serious upgrade?

of course, we have no way of knowing, but given the recent rumor site lawsuits, i wouldn't be surprised if this is just a set-up.
apple gets "it."
apple gets "it."
post #92 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by imiloa
not sure what you're thinking, but my first instinct from today's update (weak specs) was that this "leak" might be just misinfo on apple's part.

Except that someone always posts this little conspiracy theory, every time. And ThinkSecret almost always turns out to be correct...
Proud member of AppleInsider since before the World Wide Web existed.
Proud member of AppleInsider since before the World Wide Web existed.
post #93 of 127
Quote:
Except that someone always posts this little conspiracy theory, every time. And ThinkSecret almost always turns out to be correct...

It's all so much simpler than a conspiracy theory......Unfortunately, I think we've all been jinksd by MOSR.....I'm pretty much of the opinion that whatever they say the opposite will happen. Well they're claiming, "We continue to believe that a quad-processor Macintosh is imminent". So TS's disappointing predictions fall well in line with what MOSR is saying.
post #94 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by CharlesS

agreed on the conspiracy theory prevalence. but in this case, does it make any sense for apple to release such weak updates after a year of wait? they risk being ridiculed, especially with AMD going dual core presently and PC vendors offering PCIe.

if it were me, i'd just wait until i had at least one compelling gadget to add in. and from the general rumor mill, it seems like such should avail over the next few months.

only time will tell, as it always does...
apple gets "it."
apple gets "it."
post #95 of 127
I guess what I am saying is that Apple will not make any song and dance about the G5 until the new motherboard (multiprocessors, PCI Express etc) yet there seems to be an expectation of an event at NAB building. TS has always been extremely accurate and Nick clearly has an inside; yet they are willing to divulge while Apple black-ops are all over their case? I'm not a believer in conspiracy theories but something doesn't seem right.

I'm betting on a simple speed bump across the board after NAB with new G5 configurations in September.
post #96 of 127
It's amazing how many people are whining because what TS is predicting.
They just got a wrong prediction about Powermacs at NAB. How come now they come up with some new prediction and people are just going crazy about it? Doesn't make any sense. I know TS record is not bad but come on, it's just a rumor.
TS sources are probably under the gun by Apple lawsuits. Anybody who wants to keep their jobs at Apple and want to avoid any lawsuits are not saying anything to TS.
If we don't see any upgrade before WWDC it may be a good thing, I doubt Steve Jobs is going to deliver his keynote for a pathetic 200mhz update on the Powermac front.
His ego is too big to get booed at his keynote. If indeed Powermacs will be upgrade at WWDC is going to be a major one. I guess we just have now to expect upgrades once a year. Maybe it's a new rule for Apple Powermacs.
\
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
post #97 of 127
How were they wrong at NAB?
NAB isnt over until Thursday.. nice wishful thinking though
post #98 of 127
If all we get is the exact mobo with a 200MHz upgrade, I'm going to be pretty disappointed, to say the least.

The new Blackmagic Multibridge looks delicious, but requires PCI-E for HD.

I know Think Secret is almost always on the ball, but this time I'm really hoping that they've been duped. FCP would really love those cores, to say nothing of Motion 2.
- - - - - - - -

- J B 7 2 -
- - - - - - - -

- J B 7 2 -
post #99 of 127
I didn't honestly expect to see a NEW PowerMac until WWDC
but seeing this today would anger and frustrate even the most
loyal Apple user.

We can speculate all we want and try to make some sense of why
Apple does what they do sometimes,
but right now, I feel SO totally let down by Apple.

http://www.alienware.com/intro_pages/intel_955x.aspx
post #100 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by imiloa

1) an attempt to flush out a leak conduit.
2) an attempt to simply embarrass thinksecret via inaccurate info.

my logic:

- why would apple even bother with such an "upgrade" when it seemed so minor after a year's wait?

I agree. I call bullshit as well.

200MHz + dual-layer + bigger drives + more RAM could have been done 6 months ago. Apple *is* doing more to flush out leaks - I suspect the Tiger GM supplier just lost his job, for instance.

No way Apple is going almost a full year for such an anemic update. Dual dual-core 2.7GHz CPUs I could buy, but not dual 970FX. No way - not when both Apple and IBM have inadvertently confirmed that better chips are out there.
The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'.
The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'.
post #101 of 127
I'll only buy a dual-core AMD based system. The Intel dual-Core system is inferior.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #102 of 127
Quote:
I'll only buy a dual-core AMD based system. The Intel dual-Core system is inferior.

Shouldn't that read?:

I'll only buy a dual-core AMD based system, if Apple doesn't provide their own dual-core system in a timely manner. (Say, announced @ WWDC'05) The Intel dual-Core system is inferior, and Windows sucks ass!!!

There, that's better...
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
post #103 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by FireDancer
Unfortunately, I think we've all been jinksd by MOSR.....[..] Well they're claiming, "We continue to believe that a quad-processor Macintosh is imminent".

I've read that at MOSR since 1997.
post #104 of 127
Let's just start the "Perpetual Quad-core PowerMac Speculation" thread, and be done with it.

post #105 of 127
I would buy an AMD dual core powered workstation tomorrow
IF... you could get free open source ProTools 64 HD for LINUX
Logic 7 for LINUX, Final Cut HD Studio for LINUX and everyting else
OSX offers in LINUX.

So I guess I'm still waiting.
post #106 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by Sam Damon
Let's just start the "Perpetual Quad-core PowerMac Speculation" thread, and be done with it.

And a class action suite for large scale nervous breakdowns, general depression and post traumatic stress disorders brought on by
Apple's Secrecy.
post #107 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree
loyal Apple user.

Will these dual core systems have one or two processors?
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #108 of 127
I think for the specs given by TS, this is a lame update, unless of course the PowerPC G5s are dual dual-core. That would be the only thing that would un-lame an update with those specs.
post #109 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by JLL

Does that really matter when we are smoked with a single core system anyway..
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
post #110 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by JLL

It seems to be a single processor;

I doubt will see a major upgrade to the Powermac until September. Just my hunch but years of being disappointed with Apples updates Ive turned into a the cups half empty guy.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #111 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by JLL

One. Pentium 4s (like Athlon 64s) are not SMP capeable (you'll have to get the Server Version Xeon/Opteron for SMP)

But there will be a Pentium 4d - Extreme edition that has DualCore and SMT (aka Hyperthreading). that means 4 virtual cores (2 Cores with each 2 Virtual CPUs)
post #112 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by mat79
One. Pentium 4s (like Athlon 64s) are not SMP capeable (you'll have to get the Server Version Xeon/Opteron for SMP)

Besides the bragging rights, what would be the difference from a Dual Processor system and a Single Processor Dual Core system?

Doesn't it basically mean that PC users will be getting DP-like systems now? How many apps will even utilize the second core?
JLL

JLL

post #113 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch
Does that really matter when we are smoked with a single core system anyway..

Certainly depends on the situation (app).
JLL

JLL

post #114 of 127
Bah..

Some of you are doing your "annual" hand wringing and chicken little act.

The Intel Dual Core system is the worst of the bunch. You have two cores sitting right freakin' next to each other that still have to communicate over the FSB. That's because the Pentium was never designed to be a dual core system like the AMD and G5.

Very few windows apps are ready for DC and many benchmarks are showing that only encoding apps seem to be really responding. If an app isn't DC aware then you basically have the performance of just that single Proc.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #115 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by JLL
Besides the bragging rights, what would be the difference from a Dual Processor system and a Single Processor Dual Core system?

I cant say for Intels Pentium-D, but the difference between one Dual Core AMD Opteron and 2 Single Cores is the memory interface. Opterons (And Athlons) have the memory controller in the CPU so 2 CPUs => 2 Memory Controllers => each CPU has its own RAM

Quote:
Doesn't it basically mean that PC users will be getting DP-like systems now?

yep, Intels Pentium-D is shipping now (well starts to ship now) and AMD will start with the Server Version then Mobile and Desktop being the last one
Quote:
How many apps will even utilize the second core? [/B]

on the PC front? not a lot... most Stuff is still single Threaded, even with a SMT Pentium 4 (like a DualCore light) available for 2+ Years or so.

But i think most Games will be Multi Threaded because they will be released on Playstation3, Xbox2 and PC (like now) and the first two are Multi-CPU solutions
post #116 of 127
Quote:

http://www.alienware.com/intro_pages/intel_955x.aspx [/B]

That looks like a gigantic plastic jockstrap.
post #117 of 127
Quote:
loyal Apple user.

So I can buy the (crappy P4_DC) AlienBox for $3463 roughly speced (except for PCI-E) like the Dual 2.5 G5 for $3499. So you could get a dual P4 3.2 that shares a single 800Mhz FSB, or a Dual 2.5 G5 which has independent 1.25Ghz FSBs. And someone here thinks this dual core announcement (still not shipping, min delay of 27 days...) is something spectacular?

It took a 3.2P4-DC to get back into the performance throughput footprint of a dual G5. This is no leap ahead, it's back to no clear leader, change serve.
post #118 of 127
Well only a few more hours till we find out about the Apple Event. Lets hope for a surprise and expect nothing. I will be happy either way.
post #119 of 127

Quote:
but the difference between one Dual Core AMD Opteron and 2 Single Cores is the memory interface. Opterons (And Athlons) have the memory controller in the CPU so 2 CPUs => 2 Memory Controllers => each CPU has its own RAM

Judging from the graphic above the Dual-Core Athlon/Opterons will share a memory controller via the crossbar connect. Which is fine as there will be more inter-core communication in AMD systems than the Pentium D systems.

As for Alienware systems. They are for fools. If you're going to bet a PC you might as well build it. Every damn component aside from the Case is available at any PC store. I will hand it to Alienware...they market their product well. You have the PC guy cheesin about his PC and calling Macs expensive after he's just dropped $3k on an Alienware box. Hmmmmm
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #120 of 127
There is no way Apple is announcing new hardware at NAB.. First off I know we are all clinging to this hope of this press conference tomorrow at NAB.. I was with all of you kinda.. Until I saw the time its scheduled for. 6:00pm????
There is no way Apple releases new hardware at 6pm after everyone has gone home on Wall Street and add to that the fact that they will have wasted 3 full days at NAB where they could have displayed this new hardware to buyers? Not a chance.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › TS: New Powermacs likely at NAB 2005