or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Items missing in Tiger.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Items missing in Tiger. - Page 2

post #41 of 172
Quote:
Originally posted by Vox Barbara

what "IIRC" suppose to mean, actually.

If I Remember Correctly?

Anyway, back on topic. It seems that the information concerning Quartz 2D Extreme is a little confusing. JLL says it is turned off by default. lundy says it works on his machine and gives a very noticeable boost in 2D operations. Just in my mind it does not make sense to disable by default such a feature. On the other hand, this explains why Apple is mum on the subject. Is there some problem that needs to be resolved before Apple turns it on by default?
post #42 of 172
Quote:
Originally posted by PB
...Is there some problem that needs to be resolved before Apple turns it on by default?

I'm turned on by the idea.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
Reply
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
Reply
post #43 of 172
After scanning through the Tiger's iSync page, I had to find out that support for recent phones - such as the Nokia 9300 and 9500 communicators - are still not supported. Sad!
post #44 of 172
Quote:
Originally posted by the cool gut
I would like the actual folders to change color as opposed to the label, when can I get that?

Beyond that, I think everything is hunky dory.

try haxies http://www.unsanity.com/products/ although there are problems with stability.
post #45 of 172
The ability to roll back to a previous Mac OS X update. This very critical need that is missing.
post #46 of 172
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave K.
The ability to roll back to a previous Mac OS X update. This very critical need that is missing.

I can understand why some people want them, but rollbacks are a very difficult thing to handle with any safety. I have yet to see a system that doesn't break more often than it helps. And yes I have used several of the package systems available on linux... they are not capable of what would be required here.
post #47 of 172
Do you really want to rollback once you've installed something or sent a new email? Probably not.

I'd rather not risk data loss with sketchy features that non-Apple apps (and maybe Apple apps too) won't be 100% compatible with. Hell... think back to the File Vault problems when that feature was launched.

Just be glad you don't have a registry.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Reply
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Reply
post #48 of 172
I don't know if this counts as a "missing feature" but I am disappointed that portable home directories will only be available in the server version. I would really like this feature, but I don't think I want to spend an extra $400 to get it. I hope that some third party will be able to use spotlight to speed up file synchronization.
post #49 of 172
Quote:
Originally posted by RolandG
After scanning through the Tiger's iSync page, I had to find out that support for recent phones - such as the Nokia 9300 and 9500 communicators - are still not supported. Sad!

We can hope for the future, but I'm very happy that my 6620 syncs like a dream with 8a425.
post #50 of 172
Quote:
Originally posted by PB
If I Remember Correctly?

Anyway, back on topic. It seems that the information concerning Quartz 2D Extreme is a little confusing. JLL says it is turned off by default. lundy says it works on his machine and gives a very noticeable boost in 2D operations. Just in my mind it does not make sense to disable by default such a feature. On the other hand, this explains why Apple is mum on the subject. Is there some problem that needs to be resolved before Apple turns it on by default?

Perhaps it's the machine - it seems that it's at least turned off on machines that just meet the requirements, but Apple did state last year that there were bugs, and perhaps they haven't been able to squash them all yet.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
post #51 of 172
Quote:
Originally posted by JBL
I don't know if this counts as a "missing feature" but I am disappointed that portable home directories will only be available in the server version.

You would need a server to store the home folder on anyway. Remote home folders and other features requiring a server is naturally included in the server version
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
post #52 of 172
Quote:
Originally posted by JLL
You would need a server to store the home folder on anyway. Remote home folders and other features requiring a server is naturally included in the server version

It's not that farfetched to want syncing for laptop and desktop at home, is it?
post #53 of 172
Hey guys...


Portable home directories. I understand it syncs with a server if you're using macs, but does it also sync with a server when you use your OS X server as PDC and you host home directories for win users?

Do i have to have tiger on both ends for that to work (on a mac of course) or can i have OS 10.4 server and 10.3 client?
What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? _(W.C. Fields)
Reply
What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? _(W.C. Fields)
Reply
post #54 of 172
I don't know if it's resolution independence or what, but from a grpahic designers point of view I'd like a 100% view to be 100%. So if you select 100% and hold a sheet of paper next to the monitor they are the same size.

Makes a big difference if you can make a judgement call about pt size or line width on the screen rather than having to send it to the printer
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
Reply
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
Reply
post #55 of 172
Quote:
Originally posted by Messiah
I don't know if it's resolution independence or what, but from a grpahic designers point of view I'd like a 100% view to be 100%. So if you select 100% and hold a sheet of paper next to the monitor they are the same size.

Makes a big difference if you can make a judgement call about pt size or line width on the screen rather than having to send it to the printer

And how exactly is the computer supposed to know how big the monitor is? That information is not given to it, only the resolutions are. Additionally, on analog units there can be up to a 1/2 inch (across the whole screen) of fudge factor due to settings not accessible to the computer.

Short version: not really possible at this point.
post #56 of 172
Quote:
Originally posted by Karl Kuehn
And how exactly is the computer supposed to know how big the monitor is?

This looks so blindingly obvious that I probably misunderstand the issue somehow, but I think it would be perfectly possible to calibrate the computer's space perception using a normal ruler. The calibration would take as long as it takes to measure one vertical and one horizontal thingy displayed on the screen, and type in the measurements.
post #57 of 172
Quote:
Originally posted by Gon
This looks so blindingly obvious that I probably misunderstand the issue somehow, but I think it would be perfectly possible to calibrate the computer's space perception using a normal ruler. The calibration would take as long as it takes to measure one vertical and one horizontal thingy displayed on the screen, and type in the measurements.

No, people want this to be automagic. They can already do that by simply setting their default zoom in the applications we are talking about with a little tweaking and patience.
post #58 of 172
Quote:
Originally posted by Kickaha
Java 1.5/JSE 5

True, Tigers is
java version "1.4.2_07"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_07-215)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2-50, mixed mode)
post #59 of 172
Quote:
Originally posted by Gon
It's not that farfetched to want syncing for laptop and desktop at home, is it?

But that's not really what Portable Home Directories is.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
post #60 of 172
Quote:
Originally posted by Messiah
I don't know if it's resolution independence or what, but from a grpahic designers point of view I'd like a 100% view to be 100%. So if you select 100% and hold a sheet of paper next to the monitor they are the same size.

That's resolution independence. In Tiger you don't decide the resolution from the monitor's size, but that could probably be the case when resolution independence is made available to end users.


Quote:
Karl Kuehn
And how exactly is the computer supposed to know how big the monitor is? That information is not given to it, only the resolutions are.

Most monitors return a product ID to the computer, so yes, it could be possible, but I don't think it would be too difficult for a user to answer a question about what monitor size he is using.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
post #61 of 172
I'm pretty sure we'll get openGL 2 and java 1.5 in future updates.
post #62 of 172
Concerning resolution independence.

If you try out the "Zoom" feature in Universal Access, it's a hell of a lot clearer and smoother for me on a IGHz PB. On Panther, it was a bit clunky and when you really zoomed in, you just got a magnification of the normal pixels with some anti-aliasing. With Tiger, it is something far better. Not pure vector drawn independence, but very pleasant to use.

Try it out and maybe someone in the know can tell us about the relation of this effect to pure res-independence.
post #63 of 172
Quote:
Originally posted by Karl Kuehn
No, people want this to be automagic. They can already do that by simply setting their default zoom in the applications we are talking about with a little tweaking and patience.

I'm talking about a system-wide calibrate once, use in each and every software that prints and supports the "real size" feature. No tweaking required, no patience required, just a braindead simple calibration. "You see a line. Measure line with ruler. Type measurement in this box".

People go through an equivalently complicated procedure when they want to use an analog joystick, yet no one is whining about the need for better joysticks.
post #64 of 172
Thread Starter 
Come to think of it looking at Bonjours documents I don't see any "proof" that Bonjour now works across subnets. If it doesn't then that's still a huge limitation of Bonjour.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #65 of 172
Quote:
Originally posted by PB
Core Data, Quartz 2D Extreme, although one could argue that those are included in Spotlight and Quartz Extreme respectively. But seeing the details Apple included as features, I was surprised to see the above two missing.

Core Data is in Tiger. Look here --> http://developer.apple.com/macosx/tiger/coredata.html
post #66 of 172
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave K.
The ability to roll back to a previous Mac OS X update. This very critical need that is missing.

I offered to build something that did this last year and received a very negative response. In theory this would be simple since you just need to read the .pkg list and back up those files before running the upgrade .pkg. If anything went wrong, just copy the backed-up files to their original locations and remove the update receipt.

You could also do this manually by using Pacifist to read the update .pkg list then dumping this list to a file and creating a short shell script to backup the soon to be upgraded files. Just copy the original files into a backup directory.
post #67 of 172
Quote:
Originally posted by JLL
But that's not really what Portable Home Directories is.

What is it then?
post #68 of 172
Quote:
Originally posted by Cake
We can hope for the future, but I'm very happy that my 6620 syncs like a dream with 8a425.

I am hoping for two years now that either Apple or the phone manufacturers improve the situation and actually add iSync support as soon as the phones are released like they are on the Windows side.

On another note: I had to configure a Windows (CE) based navigation system... had to use my old Win rig again.

Why do even companies that sell premium products to early adopters and even use macs in the advertising not provide a Mac version?!?
post #69 of 172
Quote:
Originally posted by RolandG
I am hoping for two years now that either Apple or the phone manufacturers improve the situation and actually add iSync support as soon as the phones are released like they are on the Windows side.

On another note: I had to configure a Windows (CE) based navigation system... had to use my old Win rig again.

Why do even companies that sell premium products to early adopters and even use macs in the advertising not provide a Mac version?!?

i can understand your frustration but iSync is better than any Windows software so you should feel proud. Sony Ericsson always have quick support - so go for them.
post #70 of 172
Quote:
Originally posted by MacCrazy
i can understand your frustration but iSync is better than any Windows software so you should feel proud.

This is exactly what is frustating me: I'd love to use iSync, but if your phone is not supported yet chances are good it won't be supported at all (the Siemens S65 is almost a year old - no support yet - the same with the Nokia communicators). What is taking them so long?

Other peripherals like PDAs require third party apps (namely Mark/Space) - and most of the times those are not available at all. Apple needs to get improve this situation rapidly, time to form some more cooperations. I see them becoming a closed eco-system again with the iPod being one of the rare manufacturer supported devices.
post #71 of 172
Quote:
Originally posted by JBL
What is it then?

Portable Directories is like what you would use in a lab environment, for example on a school campus, you want to be able to log onto any of the computers and have your home directory be the same. The home directory is actually not stored on any of those computers, but on a server computer.

In your case, I think what you actually want is have the data stored on both computers, so that you can disconnect your laptop and still have the data.

I would suggest just setting up a shared folder on your desktop, and add the icon for in to your Finder sidebar. Then you can just copy files between the computers at will. There might even be some software that can check everytime you connect them, if files have changed and copy them over. I don't know any off the top of my head.
post #72 of 172
Quote:
Originally posted by MacCrazy
i can understand your frustration but iSync is better than any Windows software so you should feel proud. Sony Ericsson always have quick support - so go for them.

So, just because iSync is 'better' than any Windows software [it isn't], he should feel PROUD?

Did he write iSync or smth?
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
Reply
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
Reply
post #73 of 172
WhiteRabbit, PHDs are precisely the second thing you described.

Centralized home directories on the server have been in MacOS X for, well, a few years.

PHDs let you have a laptop that syncs with a central server, then take that laptop off the network, go elsewhere, work, come back, hook in, and have it all sync back up again such that you can then immediately log onto any other machine on the network and have the same files.

Hence, 'Portable'.

It's new in 10.4.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
post #74 of 172
Quote:
Originally posted by Kickaha
PHDs let you have a laptop that syncs with a central server, then take that laptop off the network, go elsewhere, work, come back, hook in, and have it all sync back up again such that you can then immediately log onto any other machine on the network and have the same files.

Hence, 'Portable'.

It's new in 10.4.

If you log on to a new computer you will have to wait until it's all copied over to the new machine.

Portable Home Directories is a feature of Mobile Home Directories which means that the homedir physically is placed on the computer. The server only acts like a kind of backup, but you could use the feature to sync two computers.

Mobile Home Directories appeared in 10.3, and that allows you to manage user accounts from the server - names, passwords, basic settings.

The main point of Portable Home Directories IMO is that with Tiger it is now possible to have data from mobile users placed on your servers so it's possible to take backups.

Since it hasn't been available in the last couple of seeds I haven't been able to test it thoroughly to see what a mess it will make if you're using two (or more) computers with one account using Portable Home Directories.

Remote Home Directories are all on the server, and the second you log in you have access to your data, but you can't take it with you.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
post #75 of 172
Quote:
Originally posted by WhiteRabbit
Portable Directories is like what you would use in a lab environment, for example on a school campus, you want to be able to log onto any of the computers and have your home directory be the same. The home directory is actually not stored on any of those computers, but on a server computer.

That's Remote Home Directories which as Kickaha said has been there since day one.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
post #76 of 172
Quote:
Remote Home Directories are all on the server, and the second you log in you have access to your data, but you can't take it with you.

So there's no mixing of Remote and Portable Home Directories? Darn. I was hoping that it could be set up along the lines of "Okay, *THIS* laptop is my Portable workstation. Sync it with my account. I log in anywhere else on the system, just treat me like a normal Remote account user."

That would have made it a no-brainer for the family business network. Each person has their own laptop right now, and there's a server, but sometimes they need to borrow one of the G5s for a big job. Keeping all the files in sync and share correctly is a nightmare for them. If there was a central server with Remote accounts that could also be set up to specific laptops as PHD accounts, Apple would have the easiest office-wide upgrade sale they've ever seen.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
post #77 of 172
Quote:
Originally posted by Kickaha
So there's no mixing of Remote and Portable Home Directories? Darn. I was hoping that it could be set up along the lines of "Okay, *THIS* laptop is my Portable workstation. Sync it with my account. I log in anywhere else on the system, just treat me like a normal Remote account user."

As it is (or were in the seeds were it was actually available) it's tied to Mobile Accounts.

It seems that Apple is still fighting with it, and even though the feature is mentioned on the site, I still have a feeling that it won't work perfectly in 10.4.0 - the feature was even promised for 10.0, but suddenly disappeared from the web site before 10.0 was released.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
post #78 of 172
Quote:
Originally posted by Gene Clean
So, just because iSync is 'better' than any Windows software [it isn't], he should feel PROUD?

Did he write iSync or smth?

OK a stupid thing to say - I was probably rushing!

Proud of the Mac, proud of iSync just pissed off that it doesn't work with his phone. I've got used to buying phones that are only compatible with iSync - that would be my solution. I ordered a new phone the day Tiger was announced and considered the RAZR but then used it - not good and went for a Sony Ericsson. I'm sure Apple wants to work with every phone but the resistance could be the other end. Apple and Sony work well but the other companies (Motorola less recently - obviously) seem to lag.
post #79 of 172
Quote:
Originally posted by MacCrazy
I'm sure Apple wants to work with every phone but the resistance could be the other end. Apple and Sony work well but the other companies (Motorola less recently - obviously) seem to lag.

To add, I thought vCards and all the calendar things and such were industry standards, in which case it would be the phone breaking the standards. I don't know this for sure, but I am positive, at least with the vCards, that they are.
Daniel Tull
Reply
Daniel Tull
Reply
post #80 of 172
There is a need nowadays for an option to "kill your hard drive" before selling it to someone, etc. Like in iTunes where you can deauthorize your computer to reset it, there should be an option that will nuke (Secure Delete) of EVERYTHING in your home directory and whatever else necessary before handing over a computer to another person
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
Reply
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Items missing in Tiger.