or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Shuffle is cool, but...

Shuffle is cool, but...

post #1 of 8
I love my shuffle, but an hour and a half to load the songs? flash is pretty darn slow.

Also, apple must have a rounding error bug in 10.3.9 - the autofill puts 1 too many songs in the playlist, then gives you an error message saying that not all the songs will fit.

Besides that, no problems. In 10.3.8, I could only get iTunes store songs to autofill to the shuffle, leaving it 10% full - things are much better with 10.3.9, so upgrade if you are having shuffle problems.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #2 of 8
Sounds like someone used a USB 1.1 port instead of a 2.0 port. Or maybe a USB port on a bus that had other traffic. Either way not as fast as firewire though. Took closer to 20 minutes for me and none of those other problems.
post #3 of 8
Yeah, that doesn't sound right - I'm using USB 1 and it's not that slow. Do you have it set so your songs are being converted to ACC while being loaded onto you iPod?
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally posted by the cool gut
Yeah, that doesn't sound right - I'm using USB 1 and it's not that slow. Do you have it set so your songs are being converted to ACC while being loaded onto you iPod?

I am using the USB ports on the mini, whatever they are - but yes, I store everything as Apple Lossless, so that is probably it.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
I am using the USB ports on the mini, whatever they are -

You have a Mac Mini? It has USB 2.0 - something is definitely wrong.
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally posted by the cool gut
You have a Mac Mini? It has USB 2.0 - something is definitely wrong.

I will try it again, and check the CPU and memory usage.

Maybe the problem is that I only have 512MB - if I was doing a lot of virtual memory page swapping as a result of the Apple Lossless -> AAC conversion, maybe that slowed things down.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
but yes, I store everything as Apple Lossless, so that is probably it.

That's why it is so slow transferring. Can't say on the other issues.
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally posted by Telomar
That's why it is so slow transferring. Can't say on the other issues.

Yes that is correct. Transcoding (or in your case, encoding) takes a fair amount of CPU. I keep most of my MP3s at ~192kbps/VBR, and clicked the option to convert to 128k AAC. When I reshuffle, it replaces about half the songs on my 1GB shuffle (from a 4GB playlist that ends up on my mini), and takes about 15-20min at around 160-180% of CPU on my 2x2GHz G5.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Shuffle is cool, but...