or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › What do you wear to the beach?

What do you wear to the beach?

post #1 of 41
Coming from conservative USA, I had always worn traditional swim shorts (this was before long board shorts became popular). Having very thin (and white, and hairy) legs I always felt I looked ridiculous, and therefore rarely went to the pool/the beach.

In Hong Kong, 90% of men wear Speedo style trunks, usually blue, with about 4" sides.

Last year as part of an overall style change, I decided to start wearing less all around. At the very end of the swimming season I bought a very tight black pair of Hom swim trunks, with less than 1" sides. I couldn't wait to try them out, but really didn't have the chance to wear them. I finally tried them in October for a very short trip to the beach.

My God was it comfortable. No longer did I have to worry about air pockets and clinging and my skinny legs poking out of baggy shorts. I had a new confidence, and I just felt like I was made for swimming and sunning at the beach. And I really felt like I looked way better! I felt sexy and confident.

Now I'm a total convert. I will never wear shorts (and especially not baggy board shorts that seem to be getting longer and longer in style in the US -- pretty soon guys will be wearing full length trousers!) to the pool or to the beach again. Even if I return to the US, where some irrational fear of being perceived as gay dictates what men wear, rather than what looks good or functions well.

I know 95% of women and 99% of straight men in the US think wearing Speedos is "disgusting". It's your loss. I used to hate going to the beach and now I can't wait. I like the comfort and I really do look way better. I'm finally confident.

This is just another example of how the US is trailing the rest of the world because of a conservative mindset. The US and the UK are probably the only countries in the world where Speedos are not favored (as well as the homophobic Caribbean).

So what does everyone wear to the beach? Would you ever wear a Speedo? How about swimming laps? Surely guys who swim laps know that wearing shorts would be a ridiculous concept. In school we all have to wear Speedos because they're more functional. So why the change to ugly and inappropriate board shorts as we get older?

(By the way, the above is just half of my swimwear story.)
post #2 of 41
Most of the time, I wear a full length 3-mil wetsuit ...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #3 of 41
I'm actually a big fan of the speedo. Trouble is, that it's not social acceptable, which is weird, since the American media is already fully pervaded by sexual imagery. I wear relatively short trunks that go about half way down the thigh.

And oh yeah. . . I live right on the beach, so I go there a lot. It's definitely to the extent that it's way past the whole fashion thing.

edit: I'm going to go ahead and say that I don't think the unpopularity of speedos has anything to do with conservatism. It's purely a phase that is concurrent with stupidly long shorts for other sporting activities. I can't be certain where is came from, but I can only assume it's a style that was born from the late 80's rap scene. That is, what's more "inappropriate:" wearing long shorts that ride right above your crotch, or wearing short shorts that ride in a natural position above the crotch? And as womens' swimwear continues to get smaller and smaller, it's stange that mens' swimwear just gets bigger. I think it goes beyond the whole homosexual thing.
Cat: the other white meat
post #4 of 41
A pair of over-priced, below-knee length board shorts.
post #5 of 41
It depends where the beach is, the one outside my front door, thermals!! (English joke )

If I'm somewhere warm, knee length board shorts.
post #6 of 41
speedos *shiver*

swimming trunks. or at the MOST the adherent long speedos (non underwear type stuff)

Around here (Europe) either the macho or pool or small kids go around in speedos.
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
post #7 of 41
Swinging free my friend, swinging free.

The devils that drive us do not discriminate
The devils that drive us do not discriminate
post #8 of 41
in sydney australia i wore either speedos, wetsuit if i was attempting surfing (hey i can get on the board i just cant stay on very long) or *ahem* nothing at all in some beaches

oh... boardshorts if i was picnicking with friends, with my shirt off to show off to the ladies around the park next to the beach, if the sun was out and if i had been going to the gym

ah... f8cking hedonistic place

ps: long trousers and a jacket/sweater if i am at the beach in winter... yes there is winter in sydney and it does get cold even at the beach
post #9 of 41
Quote:
Originally posted by tonton

(By the way, the above is just half of my swimwear story.)

oh, do share sounds like you've got something more to confess
post #10 of 41
iWear this

the coins come in handy, but thats for another thread.
post #11 of 41
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
oh, do share sounds like you've got something more to confess

Not a man thong........
post #12 of 41
Like the blue guy:

Wearing one of those shirts protects you from the sun, and spares you the hassle of putting sunscreen on your hairy back.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #13 of 41
...or waxing your hairy back.

Anyone else here old enough to remember when the "internet" meant the lining in your swim trunks? OK, bad joke.

Speedos are for men in incredible shape who have no shame. I have shame and I am not in incredible shape. Conservative? No, just possessing a realistic self-image. :P

Me? Swim trunks, 2-3" above the knee. I like 'em plain, good quality fabric and netting. Crew neck T-shirt which comes off for short periods of time on the sand, and is off in the water. You know, normal.
post #14 of 41
On several non-consecutive occasions I've been told I have "bird legs". I can only imagine that a speedo would amplify this fact.

Until I get some monster calfs and thighs, it's going to be swimming shorts that stop 2" above the knee.
post #15 of 41
Bikinis, 'Brazil' or early 1970s style. That is small triangle top, and triangle lower part too. I've for years had several pairs, several colors too .. so I think i'll get a black pair fo bikinis, and a yellow pair, with me for the next TX trip.

I can't stand the full body swimming suits. Why would I want to cover my stomach and back too?
How many problems have you modified or originated in the past 1 day?
How many problems have you modified or originated in the past 1 day?
post #16 of 41
Quote:
Originally posted by bucci
On several non-consecutive occasions I've been told I have "bird legs". I can only imagine that a speedo would amplify this fact.

Until I get some monster calfs and thighs, it's going to be swimming shorts that stop 2" above the knee.

Skinny legs are fast legs. Nothing to be ashamed of unless you're carrying a lot of weight upstairs, which seems to me like more of the reason not to wear a speedo. Calfs in particular are mostly useless, and are just like wearing weights on your ankles.
post #17 of 41
Quote:
Originally posted by Splinemodel
Skinny legs are fast legs. Nothing to be ashamed of unless you're carrying a lot of weight upstairs, which seems to me like more of the reason not to wear a speedo. Calfs in particular are mostly useless, and are just like wearing weights on your ankles.

Heheh... I like your logic. I run a lot, but I guess I'm just not ready for the whole speedo thing. Frankly it scares in frightens me.

About a year ago I went to this party for work. It was summer, and we were all outdoors by the pool. When a few of the foreign guys showed up in speedos, I literally saw several of the mothers cover their kids eyes.

America is not ready for the speedo. Until it is, I don't want to be "that guy".
post #18 of 41
Private. Nude. Beach. 'Nuff said?
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
post #19 of 41
Quote:
Originally posted by bucci
Heheh... I like your logic. I run a lot, but I guess I'm just not ready for the whole speedo thing. Frankly it scares in frightens me.

About a year ago I went to this party for work. It was summer, and we were all outdoors by the pool. When a few of the foreign guys showed up in speedos, I literally saw several of the mothers cover their kids eyes.

America is not ready for the speedo. Until it is, I don't want to be "that guy".

I don't agree - at least in NC people wear speedos all the time. If you are a competetive swimmer, you pretty much have to wear speedos - do these mothers also cover the kids eyes during the olympics?

The US is prudish, but not that prudish. Maybe you are thinking of thongs?

Man thong - yuck!
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #20 of 41
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
Man thong - yuck!

I remember seeing the man-thong for the first time (in person) when I was in Miami about a year ago. Let's just say that it takes a certain kind of man to toss on the man-thong, and these types usually stick together.

When in Miami, I usually stick to the fake boob section.
post #21 of 41
Well im in Aussie ands its actually pretty common for men to be wearing speedos. I wear my Bondi Beach speedos whenever I can because I feel comfortable and they are ideal for lap swimming. I hate the thought of wet dripping board shorts, very uncomfortable, ive tried them.
post #22 of 41
I now wear Speedo style but usually even smaller (1/2" or 1" sides) brief-style swimwear. Sometimes I wear tight shorts like boxer brief fit (see Daniel Craig as 007), but usually only when I'm in America.

Board shorts are neither suitable for swimming nor tanning. They are for someone who is either ashamed or prudish, which means 95% of America.

When I go to the beach or pool in America, I am "that guy". But I'd rather suffer a few snickers than end up with a ridiculous piebald farmer tan.

Anyway, when I'm with my wife no one cares anyway, because no one is looking at me. I can proudly say that my wife prefers to wear Wicked Weasels. She wears the sheer ones when she can get away with it. Only when we go to the public pool or somewhere very prudish like America does she wear a more traditional, but still sexy full-back bikini (with unlined triangle top and tie sides bottom).

But why is a new user digging up a three year-old thread about Speedos and man thongs? I would like to see the Google search that led here...
post #23 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

But why is a new user digging up a three year-old thread about Speedos and man thongs? I would like to see the Google search that led here...

It's typically a component of guerilla advertising, which is why I support making older threads read-only.
post #24 of 41
I'd like to respond on behalf of women, don't know how this thread was reopened but if it is active, then I want to put my two cents in.

For surfing and other water sport activities the appropriate suits are needed and the discussion is mainly about the swim suits, I traveled a little around the words and yes the Americans are conservatives don't know if this is a bad thing but things are changing here too and some areas are more free than others

My blog

http://www.thesurfingvillage.com/blogs/
post #25 of 41
The Speedo thread will never die!
post #26 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

The Speedo thread will never die!

Long live the Speedo thread!
post #27 of 41
I live in Missouri. What beach?
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #28 of 41
Who spams with speedos?
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
post #29 of 41
I understand that all guys should be wearing Speedos. But I am not one of them. I exercise eat well, and all in all I say I have a pretty good body. I wear Speedos and so far I've gotten nothing but good responses. I know that a lot of people say that they don't like them. But honestly when they are confronted by them most people don't seem to care too much about it. Others seem to really dig them, I've have groups of girls follow me around just to get a glimpse others make up things to come and talk to me about. I swear I've never had as many strangers walk up and start talking to me as when I am wearing so little a clothing. I think its because since I am so exposed it seems like I have noting to hide and that I might be a bit venerable. I am going to plan a day April 26th, anyone else want to go? After a while everyone will be used to it and no one will care. It'll be fun lets go. Check out my poll. If you want to go hit me up speedobumminit@gmail.com. http://www.misterpoll.com/polls/334198
post #30 of 41
I do actually own a pair of Speedos...trunks.
post #31 of 41

-t
post #32 of 41
So check it out I posted a couple of my pics of me in speedos and guess what out of 200 guys in the catagory I am ranked 4th and 8th. People must like them better than they let on. Not to mention I have never heard a bad comment and I wear them all the time to the lake and beach, also when I swim laps at the gym. Here are my rankings is it really that bad??? Can't we get over this stupidness. Can't americans act mature like the rest of the world and not act so retarded about something as stupid as a guys body. So wait its okay to see a womans body but not for a guys, Im insulted what about all that equallity stuff, shouldn't the door swing both ways. And women get off you high horse, there are pleanty of girls that love the site of me in a speedo I know because they walk up to me and tell me. Sorry if I steal a little attention from you, I want to have a nice tan too and be comfortable.
http://www.rankmyphotos.com/index.php?id=8967
http://www.rankmyphotos.com/index.php?id=8131
post #33 of 41
Nothing but a tube sock.
post #34 of 41
I have been wearing speedos now for about 28 years. I remember seeing other guys wearing them and thought it looked nice but was not for sure if I wanted to. Well one night I went swimming in my bikini underwear and realize how good it felt. I bought my first pair of speedos shortly after and have been wearing them every sense. At first it was a bit embarrassing to be seen in them, but has time went on I felt more comfortible in them.
post #35 of 41
I go to a nude beach, you insensitive clod!

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #36 of 41
Boardshorts nowadays. I'm just too sexy for my Speedos, too sexy for my Speedos, too sexy by far...
post #37 of 41
Half a bra.

String included.
post #38 of 41
Geez... the thread that will not die.

I still wear 1/2" side Hom or similar briefs whenever I go to the beach or the pool (I have about 20 pair in different colors and styles). I also have a few pair of Daniel Craig-style tight shorts, but I rarely wear them as I hate the tanlines they produce.
post #39 of 41
Twenty pair? That's a lot of swimming.
post #40 of 41
Bikini obviously. Girls like bikini most. When you look for bathing suits, dont forget to go the prints and designs. This style will look best. Vertical and horizontal both are good. Vertical patterns tend to lengthen the body.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › What do you wear to the beach?