or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › First copies of Mac OS X Tiger ship

First copies of Mac OS X Tiger ship

post #1 of 79
Apple on Friday began shipping Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, the next version of its Mac OS X operating system. Although Tiger will not officially launched until April 29th, one MacNN.com reader provided the publication with a shipment confirmation from the Apple Store. The document showed a delivery date of April 25 via Fedex Ground--well ahead of the official release date next week. MacNN says orders with expedited shipping may have earlier delivery dates.

Update: At least two AppleInsider readers claim to have already received their copies of Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" this Thursday.
post #2 of 79
I think there are only going to be rare cases of this. I just don't see Apple getting to everyone several days early. Furthermore, I did not pay for shipping, but the day after ordering they changed my order to 2-day air, so I'm sure they are going to hold it until just a couple days before next Friday.
*Powerbook G4 12" - 1.5 GHZ
*iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ (Mid 2007), *Apple 20-inch Cinema Display (Aluminium)
*iPhone 4S, Airport Extreme (2011) *MacBook Air 11-inch (Late 2010)
post #3 of 79
kinda makes sense to me. heck, if i saw someone using tiger a few days early, that would make me want to be at the release party even more, if i hadn't already picked up a copy. but, i already ordered, just opted for free shipping, and the only good release party around here will be compusa WAY out of the way, so that ain't happenin...
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #4 of 79
Heck, I've waited this long ... another week seems bearable. The good news it that we'll finally have it in our hands ... and yes, talking about it right here in less than a week...

MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, 750GB HDD
Mac mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB HDD
iPhone 5S, 32GB

MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, 750GB HDD
Mac mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB HDD
iPhone 5S, 32GB

post #5 of 79
I didn't have an option to expedite my order. Do they take that option out for edu buyers?
Never Doubt Apple.
---------------------------

"Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice." -Steve Jobs
Never Doubt Apple.
---------------------------

"Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice." -Steve Jobs
post #6 of 79
It might just be that there are a lot of Tiger boxes to ship out and they are clearing out some space in the shipping area - and filling those FedEx trucks.
Sort of like moving cattle - move em out! Yeeeehaaaaaa! Pity MS can't do that.
Ken
Ken
post #7 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by kenaustus
Sort of like moving cattle - move em out! Yeeeehaaaaaa! Pity MS can't do that.

Oh, they can. Just wait until late 2007 when they ship Longhorn, you'll see.

Chuck
post #8 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by fatchuck
Oh, they can. Just wait until late 2007 when they ship Longhorn, you'll see.

By then Lion 10.5.3 will be out. 8)

Oh, the MS Shame.....
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
post #9 of 79
Does anyone have any proof of this? I called the Apple Store and they are denying it, but they offered to help me out if I could provide the web order number for the order in question...

(Should i be suspicious or excited?)
post #10 of 79
Well, it's not true in my case. My order is slated to go out no later than the 28th by 2nd day shipping.

AppleInsider could verify the accuracy of the 2 people that claim to have copies if those people would provide their order numbers and zip codes to the administrator. That way the order status could be verified.
post #11 of 79
post #12 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by macnut222
I didn't have an option to expedite my order. Do they take that option out for edu buyers?

I'm also an edu buyer. The 2-day shipping is part of their pre-order promotion. Pre-order and the guaranteed delivery by the 29th. So, you're getting expedited shipping.
post #13 of 79
Mine still says expected shipping day 29th April, it's probably because I live in this crap country (UK). To make matters worse, it's also a bank holiday weekend so probably won't get tiger till the Tuesday afterwards. Not that I don't mind bank holidays, we should have more of them :-)
Powerbook G4 1Ghz 784MB 12"
Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz 1GB 17"
Imac G3
Athlon AMD64 3400+, 1GB RAM
Powerbook G4 1Ghz 784MB 12"
Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz 1GB 17"
Imac G3
Athlon AMD64 3400+, 1GB RAM
post #14 of 79
That's proof enough for me. Wish it was me though! Lucky buggers getting it a full week ahead and with the weekend to play around.

Quote:
post #15 of 79
This always happens. I got my previous couple releases prior to the release date by pre-ordering them from apple.

The reasoning is probably as follows: There are hordes of apple users that will do whatever is necessary to get there hands on tiger at the earliest possible moment. If preorders didn't arrive before release date, these people would visit a retail outlet and buy a copy on release day. Then, they would all send their pre-orders back to apple en mass. This would be quite expensive.

To reiterate, I've typically received OS X releases prior to the official release date by pre-ordering from apple.
post #16 of 79
supposedly, someone on macnn claims it's build 8A428.
post #17 of 79
Did anyone order from MacMall expecting delivery on April 29th? There website stated delivery by next Friday, but I just talked to them and they said it won't be shipping now until the 29th. Starting to regret ordering from them now.
post #18 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by CrowFreak
Did anyone order from MacMall expecting delivery on April 29th? There website stated delivery by next Friday, but I just talked to them and they said it won't be shipping now until the 29th. Starting to regret ordering from them now.

I always order directly from Apple. I figure helps there bottom line and then they have a record of exactly what I have bought ever. I have heard they give favors to frequent buyers.
post #19 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by salmonstk
I always order directly from Apple. I figure helps there bottom line and then they have a record of exactly what I have bought ever. I have heard they give favors to frequent buyers.

Live and learn I guess.
post #20 of 79
Quote:

You can cancel MacMall orders very easy. Just send them an email. I ordered a copy today, seeing if they would ship it, when it became clear they wouldn't, I cancelled.
post #21 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by ibook911
You can cancel MacMall orders very easy. Just send them an email. I ordered a copy today, seeing if they would ship it, when it became clear they wouldn't, I cancelled.

I've been contemplating what to do today. If nothing happens early next week, then I will figure something else out.

Thanks for the info about how easy it is to cancel.
post #22 of 79
i'm kinda glad mine is NOT on its way. i got plans this weekend, with jazz fest around the corner, and if tiger arrived today or tomorrow, i'd probably be sequestered in front of my computer all weekend... yes, i truly am THAT pathetic when it comes to new software.

post #23 of 79
I might have thought this was a mixed reason between making room in the warehouse as well as trying to combat the quick release of the software to the filesharing sites.
post #24 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by salmonstk

Giving you a treat when you buy stuff above market price is not really worth it IMO. \
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
post #25 of 79
Quote:

go here: http://www.fuckmacmall.com
post #26 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by macbeemer
go here: http://www.fuckmacmall.com

Sad to see that the customer service is so atrocious. I decided that I am going to cancel my order with them and just get it from somewhere else. The name of the site says exactly what I was thinking.
post #27 of 79
Quote:
Sad to see that the customer service is so atrocious. I decided that I am going to cancel my order with them and just get it from somewhere else. The name of the site says exactly what I was thinking.

I don't do business with MacMall because I don't like their business practices.

That said, the guy with the FuckMacMall site is an idiot. Only a moron would return merchandise without an RMA and without a trackable carrier.
post #28 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by g3pro
Giving you a treat when you buy stuff above market price is not really worth it IMO. \

How are they charging above market price? Free shipping with promised delivery by the day of release seems pretty fair. Of course, maybe they really won me over with the educational price of $69.

What I think is ridiculous is that iLife '05 is $59. I mean come on, $70 for a major OS update and $60 for a minor app suite update? I guess I'll wait and see what '06 offers.

Anybody else think iLife updates should be free or at least a minimal upgrade fee?
post #29 of 79
I'm in the UK too and they seem to have changed their language about delivery. When the announcment was made they said this about the seminar:

"The seminar launches along with Tiger on April 29. If you pre-order today, we'll deliver Tiger to you on that same dayno waiting. Then, after you install it, you can watch the seminar and begin exploring the new features on your Mac right along with the hosts. They'll deliver expert information, tips and tricks you won't find anywhere else."

Now all they're saying is shipping by the 29th.
post #30 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by jonnyb
I'm in the UK too and they seem to have changed their language about delivery. When the announcment was made they said this about the seminar:

"The seminar launches along with Tiger on April 29. If you pre-order today, we'll deliver Tiger to you on that same dayno waiting. Then, after you install it, you can watch the seminar and begin exploring the new features on your Mac right along with the hosts. They'll deliver expert information, tips and tricks you won't find anywhere else."

Now all they're saying is shipping by the 29th.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. The only reason I ordered my copy from the AppleStore was because I wanted to make sure that I got hold of it on the 29th AT THE LATEST.

There are several Apple dealers near where I work, and I'd be able to pick up a copy on the 29th anyway. My order originally stated "Before the 29th", now it says "On or before the 29th". From previous experience, it can take weeks for orders to arrive from Eire...
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
post #31 of 79
Quote:

That disc looks like a developers version - "includes Xcode 2".

While I don't doubt that some 10.4 shipments have gone out, that looks just like the disc I got when I joined the ADC.
post #32 of 79
Since when is there a "developer's version?" A boxed version is the consumer release version, and all releases of Mac OS X include Xcode.
post #33 of 79
I ordered from the Apple store by phone 2 weeks ago and just checked
the delivery status that says ''delivery on or before 4/28'' T H U R S D A Y
in Canada
MS: loving the darkness; cursing the candles
post #34 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by Messiah
Yeah, I noticed that as well. The only reason I ordered my copy from the AppleStore was because I wanted to make sure that I got hold of it on the 29th AT THE LATEST.

There are several Apple dealers near where I work, and I'd be able to pick up a copy on the 29th anyway. My order originally stated "Before the 29th", now it says "On or before the 29th". From previous experience, it can take weeks for orders to arrive from Eire...

Do you have to order copies from the real life Apple Store if you want a copy? I'm still not sure what I'm going to do yet. Wait and see for my online order, or go to either of the UK shops for the launch.
Daniel Tull
Daniel Tull
post #35 of 79
Well, the e-mail I received in the UK said if I pre-ordered, I'd *receive* it on the 29th.

So, if they don't actually get it to me by the 29th, I'll go to the Apple Store, buy it there, and return the one that eventually shows up.
post #36 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by snipe
I ordered from the Apple store by phone 2 weeks ago and just checked
the delivery status that says ''delivery on or before 4/28'' T H U R S D A Y
in Canada

Where does it say that? All I get is:

Est. Ship\t
On or before
04/28/2005
post #37 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by the cool gut

Est. Ship\t
On or before
04/28/2005

Combine that with the method of shipping which should say 2nd-day, and you should have it on the 29th.
post #38 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by danielctull
Do you have to order copies from the real life Apple Store if you want a copy? I'm still not sure what I'm going to do yet. Wait and see for my online order, or go to either of the UK shops for the launch.

In the past the Apple dealers have also had copies - in fact, you can usually put your name down in advance to make sure that you get a copy on the launch day. That's exactly what I did with the Public Beta, 10.0, 10.1, 10.2 and 10.3. Tiger is the first release of OS X that I've bought directly from the AppleStore.

And if I don't get it by the 29th, the last...
post #39 of 79
What do you reckon "Fast Ship (EMEA)" means?
post #40 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by the cool gut

Est. Ship\t
On or before
04/28/2005

yup me too. Misread the order status page
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › First copies of Mac OS X Tiger ship