or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › New Cinema Displays at WWDC

New Cinema Displays at WWDC

post #1 of 37
I was looking at Apples line up of displays and I couldnt imagine having a larger than 30" screen monitor. I don't think Apple will go larger than 30", but if they do, it will most likely be 32", possibly 35"(?). I think the key thing will be a major (or significant at least) price cut. LCD monitors are getting a lot cheaper. If i would have to guess, Aples 20" display will drop down to $599-$699. This would be a great break though for prices, and would make perfect sense for Apples Mac Mini Users. Apple needs to provide a monitor that Mac Mini users can afford -- a $599 price tag is getting there, and they might also introduce a smaller screen size model (although not likely), for instance, 17", for in the $399-$499 range.
post #2 of 37
um there are tons of ways that apple can update the displays without making them bigger. size isn't everything.
post #3 of 37
I don't see Apple's 20" price going below $799, if that. It's not where they are in the market.
post #4 of 37
I think it makes perfect sense to have a bigger monitor than a 30" display. Many professionals out there will welcome such a monitor.
IMHO, with the "Year of HD" Apple might intend to have such a monitor in the living room as well. Why not.
It would be nice to have price cuts as well.
Let's hope so!
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
MacPro 12 core
post #5 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by gugy
I think it makes perfect sense to have a bigger monitor than a 30" display. Many professionals out there will welcome such a monitor.

hmmm... I'm not so sure many "professionals" would really want such a display. Notice that, even on the finest LCDs, when looking from an angle the colors are not reproduced correctly. Going bigger than 30" you would have to sit at a distance from the screen or the colors will look very unconsitant. At least with current technology.

Basically, if you really need more space than a 30" can for work, go buy another and run dual displays. Going beyond 30" at the moment is probablyy more a geek dream ( ) than a real need, not to say practical.
post #6 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by Power Apple
hmmm... I'm not so sure many "professionals" would really want such a display. Notice that, even on the finest LCDs, when looking from an angle the colors are not reproduced correctly. Going bigger than 30" you would have to sit at a distance from the screen or the colors will look very unconsitant. At least with current technology.

Basically, if you really need more space than a 30" can for work, go buy another and run dual displays. Going beyond 30" at the moment is probablyy more a geek dream ( ) than a real need, not to say practical.

Well, that's your opinion.
I know many people who would love to have a bigger monitor, specially to work in programs like FCP, After effects and 3d. This is not going to be a monitor for the average Joe. Some people don't like the idea of dual monitors.
Apple could market to the home entertainment crowd that today are buying displays bigger than 50".
Regarding color accuracy if that is crucial for your work then you'll need the finest CRTs. LCD are not yet good enough for it.
MacPro 12 core
MacPro 12 core
post #7 of 37
I'll say 'big enough' when the wall behind my desktop becomes my desktop...and I can afford it.
post #8 of 37
I'd have to agree with Power Apple that 30" is big enough - at least for me.

Question: Samsung is rumored to soon have a 30 incher. Anyone with info, links? Thanks.
post #9 of 37
for your notes gang, I just bought a dell 20" wide screen for my home office after reading rave reviews at macintouch, and it's amazing. I bought it for $470 shipped last month, my partner just bought a bunch of them at a dell website special yesterday for $370!!!! There 24" is well under $900. I'd love to see those guys roll out a 30". I've always owned Apple or LaCie monitors, and am planing on getting a 30" just because it's freakin' amazing and i have budgeted money to spend, but the Dell deals are trully outrageous. I just put a bit of black tape over the dell logo and i'm good to go!
post #10 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by mikenap
for your notes gang, I just bought a dell 20" wide screen for my home office after reading rave reviews at macintouch, and it's amazing. I bought it for $470 shipped last month, my partner just bought a bunch of them at a dell website special yesterday for $370!!!! There 24" is well under $900. I'd love to see those guys roll out a 30". I've always owned Apple or LaCie monitors, and am planing on getting a 30" just because it's freakin' amazing and i have budgeted money to spend, but the Dell deals are trully outrageous. I just put a bit of black tape over the dell logo and i'm good to go!

How do you get the sub-$900 deal on the 24"? They have it at $1120 on the dell website...
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #11 of 37
I just looked on the dell site, and its not sub 900...its 1000...(for the 24" widescreen)

link: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...1&link_number=

I still think that the price on the Apple Displays will be cut...Apple can't compete with the rest of the market if they don't. The prices they are running on are year old or more prices for LCD monitors. Also, remeber, cheaper LCDs would help sell the mac mini and vice versa
post #12 of 37
you never pay what dell has listed. What you do is go to deal sites like dealnews.com, bensbargains.com, slickdeals.net, etc. and watch for the coupon how-to's that show you what coupons to apply. An associate just bought the 24" Dell for $870 shipped last week. He had to ad anohter purchase of ten bucks or something to make the coupons work, but the directions were clearly spelled out at the deal sites.
post #13 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by mikenap
you never pay what dell has listed. What you do is go to deal sites like dealnews.com, bensbargains.com, slickdeals.net, etc. and watch for the coupon how-to's that show you what coupons to apply. An associate just bought the 24" Dell for $870 shipped last week.

Thanks for the inside story. I too read that someone bought a 24" for $870.
post #14 of 37
I don't know if Apple will have a new Display at WWDC, but they probably should drop their prices because if not, I'm going to be buying two of those DELL HD Cinema wide displays for half the price with my next computer purchase.
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

post #15 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by onlooker
I don't know if Apple will have a new Display at WWDC, but they probably should drop their prices because if not, I'm going to be buying two of those DELL HD Cinema wide displays for half the price with my next computer purchase.

Yeah, The Dell prices are very nice.
But,
is the monitor cheap looking?
are the specs as good as Apple's?

If that's the case, I'll also considering buying 2 Dell's 24".
MacPro 12 core
MacPro 12 core
post #16 of 37
I just check Dell's website and I have to say the monitor doesn't look as nice as Apple's. Specially if you look the side view images. i don't know, i guess I have to see in person to have my final say.
MacPro 12 core
MacPro 12 core
post #17 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by Carson O'Genic
I'll say 'big enough' when the wall behind my desktop becomes my desktop...and I can afford it.

I'll second that one. And I want a voice interface. Talk to the wall & it does what you want.
post #18 of 37
This may sound strange, but the 30" is too big for me. I had that reaction the first time I saw one at least year's WWDC, and have it every time I walk into the Apple store. There is a real difference between passive and active use of a display. For TVs the bigger the better. But for computer monitors you reach the point of diminishing returns. As others have mentioned, the bigger the monitor, the more the tendency to place it farther away, making everyday things like reading text more difficult.
"I'm learning how to meditate, so far so good."
Donald Fagen and Walter Becker
"I'm learning how to meditate, so far so good."
Donald Fagen and Walter Becker
post #19 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by blue2kdave
As others have mentioned, the bigger the monitor, the more the tendency to place it farther away, making everyday things like reading text more difficult.

This will be solved by the advent of the resolution-independent GUI.
post #20 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by garyp
This will be solved by the advent of the resolution-independent GUI.

So you want a bigger display that you have to move further away so the text have to be larger?

Exactly where is the benefit in that?
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #21 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
So you want a bigger display that you have to move further away so the text have to be larger?

Exactly where is the benefit in that?

Depends on what you use the computer for. I use it to make art. I feel like a slave tied to a keyboard & a chair, a short distance from a small screen. I'd rather roam about the room talking to a magic wall of light that does my bidding. Imagination is important to some, & unimportant to others.
post #22 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by garyp
Depends on what you use the computer for. I use it to make art. I feel like a slave tied to a keyboard & a chair, a short distance from a small screen. I'd rather roam about the room talking to a magic wall of light that does my bidding. Imagination is important to some, & unimportant to others.

Exactly, A bigger display will benefit artists and designers the most.
It would be great to see from the distance what we are creating and for me because I work a lot in storyboards it would make nice to see the layout of a whole sequence of animation frames.
This is one the reasons I would love to have a 30"plus monitor.
MacPro 12 core
MacPro 12 core
post #23 of 37
So its not even really suited for FCP use either? A 30 incher and a 23" would be more logic here.

I think that leaves a very narrow marked.
post #24 of 37
Quote:
So its not even really suited for FCP use either? A 30 incher and a 23" would be more logic here.

Of course not.
FCP, After Effects and 3D people would benefit immensely for the same reasons plus the fact these programs are palette intensive would benefit as well because you could put more palettes or enlarge them in the canvas. It's a win-win situation.
Also, Apple could market the same screen to the home entertainment crowd making the market even bigger to such a screen.
MacPro 12 core
MacPro 12 core
post #25 of 37
With the above mentioned limitations of larger LCD screens I don´t see what anything above 30 inch would benefit to those people that a higher dpi would not do better on the current screens.
post #26 of 37
Quote:
With the above mentioned limitations of larger LCD screens I don´t see what anything above 30 inch would benefit to those people that a higher dpi would not do better on the current screens.

You must be under 50.
post #27 of 37
Quote:

I guess you don't get it.
MacPro 12 core
MacPro 12 core
post #28 of 37
IMHO these are the benefits/drawbacks of such large monitor.

Benefits:

Great for visualization.
Great for palette intensive applications.
Great for old folks that need room to expand windows and enlarge type to see better(garyP) :-)
Great to have many windows and applications open at the same time.
Possible use for entertainment screen to see movies and play games.
great for people who don't like dual monitors.

Drawbacks:
you'll need a large desk
it's not going to be cheap. But if you make a living in front of the computer all day, the benefits will pay in the long run.
you'll need a fast computer and good video cards to run this beast.

I am sure there are more benefits in the end than drawbacks.
The point is all about the options available. If people think is too big, then buy a smaller one. In the end is all about what you like, what your necessities are and what your budget is. I am in all favor of the possibility to have one if I want one. So, I hope to see something bigger (hopefully a little cheaper) coming soon.

My 2 cents.
MacPro 12 core
MacPro 12 core
post #29 of 37
This may be boku, but it's not TOO boku.
post #30 of 37
Quote:

I have to agree that 30" is probably a little big for my tastes. I'd rather have a pair of 20, or 23 inchers, or one of each really.
onlooker

onlooker

post #31 of 37
the refresh, contrast and size of the Dell 24 outperform Apple bigtime. It also has alot of conection options like a built in media reader, every connection imaginable, and an unbeatable price. Apple wins in how great the monitor looks next to the G5 however, and has the distinction of SWAP color sertifiication so you know you can get the best possibleh t color from an LCD. To me, with all the problems the 23" Apple has had, it's a no brainer to go with the Dell. The 20" widescrean I am using right now is freaking beautiful. And at $370 it's just silly...
post #32 of 37
I just ordered a Dell 24" on Ebay - $963 including shipping. Much easier than checking www.fatwallet.com every day looking for coupon numbers - and when you order from Dell you have to pay tax, so even the $870 deal would be more than $963 when you count tax and shipping.

If you buy there, read the shipping terms carefully, some have $135 shipping/insurance.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #33 of 37
I didnt get charged any tax i dont beleive. Maybe it was built into the price, but I didnt think so. slickdeals.net had showed the 20" wide screen for $470 (last month, it's a hundred less now of course) if I bought an extra one dollare item and applied 2 cupons, and thats exactly what i spent. Shipping was free on this deal.

What you will find is ebay auctions are reselling the these special deals for a few extra bucks, my business partner makes alot of money at that game.
post #34 of 37
[QUOTEI didnt get charged any tax i dont beleive.[/QUOTE]

"Dell Catalog Sales LP currently collects applicable sales tax in California, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin."

Not in Virginia - but they tax NC.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #35 of 37
Apple does need to cut their monitor prices, but could get away with a lower cut if they over to organic diodes.

Regarding the >30in., I would love to see Apple come out with say a 35in Cinema Display that can be wall-mounted (for those not wanting to be stuck behind a generic desk) or for Desk mounting Apple comes out or jointly designs with Hermann Miller an ergonomic desk that includes an attachable fork like swing arm that can be attached on the far left, center or far right of the desk giving one the option to put the monitor up and away from the desk keeping the desk optimized for your tablet, keyboard, books and whatnot. Depending on where on decides to put their desk in a room they can recess the monitor up and away to satisfy many ergonomic settings and human frames.

Just a thought.
post #36 of 37
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
[QUOTEI didnt get charged any tax i dont beleive.

"Dell Catalog Sales LP currently collects applicable sales tax in California, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin."

Not in Virginia - but they tax NC.
[/QUOTE]

All right!! No tax for me.
onlooker

onlooker

post #37 of 37
Anyone up on the new carbon nanotube (?) technology? Sposed to cut production costs. Now being used as backlights only AFAIK. This means far cheaper repairs; if the backlight quits, replace only one instead of up to 16.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › New Cinema Displays at WWDC