or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Photo shows new Power Mac G5 palette shipments

Photo shows new Power Mac G5 palette shipments

post #1 of 55
Following an earlier report that new Apple Power Macs have begun making their way to company retail stores, a source provided the below photo (edited) showing how Apple is shipping the units.

The Power Macs are arriving on palettes that have been covered in dark plastic to conceal the contents. However, as hinted yesterday, multiple sources are now indicating that Apple plans to announce the units tomorrow (Wednesday).
post #2 of 55
Um, how is a crate wrapped in black plastic news? That could be anything...

I obviously missed my kool-aid this morning!
post #3 of 55
Quote:
Originally posted by Qchem
Um, how is a crate wrapped in black plastic news? That could be anything...

I obviously missed my kool-aid this morning!

Only new products are wrapped in black. When the announcement is made Apple Retail will be told to unwrap the crate.
post #4 of 55
Interesting... does apple normally pre-ship, hold, and shroud merely speed bumped machines? (honest question)

I know they've done this for completely new releases, but how about for just speedbumps?
post #5 of 55
Quote:
Originally posted by dfiler
Interesting... does apple normally pre-ship, hold, and shroud merely speed bumped machines? (honest question)

I know they've done this for completely new releases, but how about for just speedbumps?

well officially they do not exist at the moment and the Apple stores know nothing in advance, therefore I would assume all new products are covered - or shipped afterwards. Also, if they weren't covered, they would look the same as the other boxes - but would have a different serial number, so they could be put out by mistake. The only difference on the box between the new and old PowerBooks is the spec sticker on the side. I think Apple should ship the PowerMacs with Tiger, that'll please Apple customers!
post #6 of 55
-double post-
post #7 of 55
It's now 8:30am on the east coast....at what time does Apple usually anounce products?
post #8 of 55
Quote:
Originally posted by FireDancer
It's now 8:30am on the east coast....at what time does Apple usually anounce products?

Around 9AM
post #9 of 55
It's going to be announced wednesday according to the article.
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
post #10 of 55
Quote:
Originally posted by g3pro

Or not at all...
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
post #11 of 55
Quote:

But how can they make us wait that long ?
Macs. Then: IIc. IIsi. IIfx. Color Classic. LCII. LCIII. Beige G3 266. G4 450. Now: i7 iMac. 24-inch iMac 2.8GHz. MBP 2GHz. G5 2GHz. iPad 32GB wifi
Tunes: 32GB iPhone 4G. 32GB iPhone 3GS. 32GB...
Macs. Then: IIc. IIsi. IIfx. Color Classic. LCII. LCIII. Beige G3 266. G4 450. Now: i7 iMac. 24-inch iMac 2.8GHz. MBP 2GHz. G5 2GHz. iPad 32GB wifi
post #12 of 55
I heard from a reliable source yesterday (think something like works for Apple UK) to "watch the website (apple.com) often tomorrow" and that's all I have got to say about that besides when was the last announce of any Apple update on a Wednesday????
ACTC Certified, ADC Member, & Owner of a ACN....
ACTC Certified, ADC Member, & Owner of a ACN....
post #13 of 55
Compare.

and
post #14 of 55
I also love how "AppleInsider" spells pallet as palettes.
post #15 of 55
Quote:
Originally posted by O4BlackWRX
... when was the last announce of any Apple update on a Wednesday????

February. The revised iPod minis and photos were introduced on Wednesday the 23rd. The original G4 iBooks also came on a Wednesday. The last PowerBook rev came on a Monday.
post #16 of 55
post #17 of 55
Quote:
Originally posted by BrunoBruin
February. The revised iPod minis and photos were introduced on Wednesday the 23rd. The original G4 iBooks also came on a Wednesday. The last PowerBook rev came on a Monday.

anyway it's definitely not coming today. The Amazon page above lists Tiger coming as well - I expect it will be announced tomorrow with shipment Friday.
post #18 of 55
Quote:

Nice catch
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
post #19 of 55
Quote:

Out of curiosity... how did you find that page?
post #20 of 55
Quote:
Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Go to Amazon, select Electronics, then select computers.

It shows the info for preorder on the sidebar for me.

edit - ooh, 555 posts. I'm nasty, but not quite the beast...
post #21 of 55
Quote:
Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

MacRumors can sometimes be a useful source.
post #22 of 55
Amazon shows the other models as well. All with 512MB of RAM and dual-layer SuperDrives, as predicted. Looks like the dual-2.0 is the same price as the current dual-1.8, but with twice the RAM and HDD. I wonder if they will re-introduce a single-processor model later.
post #23 of 55
Quote:
Amazon shows the other models as well. All with 512MB of RAM and dual-layer SuperDrives, as predicted. Looks like the dual-2.0 is the same price as the current dual-1.8, but with twice the RAM and HDD. I wonder if they will re-introduce a single-processor model later.

i think Jobs wants to get rid of all single processor PowerMacs - but he's been known to change his mind!
post #24 of 55
Quote:
Originally posted by MacCrazy
i think Jobs wants to get rid of all single processor PowerMacs - but he's been known to change his mind!

Agreed, but right now you can get a Power Mac for $1,499. Tomorrow the entry is going to be $1,999? Power Mac sales are slumping and Apple responds by raising prices?

Maybe Apple is going to "sell" this update by having all models feature the PCI-X motherboard; the low-end model will no longer be neutered in some way. If it ships with a decent graphics card, the new dual-2.0 would at least be a better value than the old dual-1.8.

Ah well. I'm glad I got my dual-2.5 last August and didn't wait for another revision.
post #25 of 55
Quote:

Perfect! I was asked, at work, to order a new computer before the week was over. This was last week. I'm glad I held off because of these rumors. I was going to get the Dual 1.8, but now I'll be able to get the Dual 2.0 with twice the RAM and HDD at the same price.
NOTICE: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information supplied herein, fahlman cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions. Unless otherwise indicated,...
NOTICE: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information supplied herein, fahlman cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions. Unless otherwise indicated,...
post #26 of 55
Quote:
Originally posted by fahlman
Perfect! I was asked, at work, to order a new computer before the week was over. This was last week. I'm glad I held off because of these rumors. I was going to get the Dual 1.8, but now I'll be able to get the Dual 2.0 with twice the RAM and HDD at the same price.

If you had ordered then, I'm sure Apple would have automatically upgraded you to the newer version.

Ste...

Ste...
post #27 of 55
2 years on and and Apple is still selling a dual 2.0 machine and still asking $2000 for it? What kind of drugs do they think were on. I'm sorry they they chose to package the G5 in such an expensive case but $2000 for a 2 year old computer is really a joke. For $2000 I can build an Intel with a dual core 3.8 ghz chip that will run 8000 tracks and virtual instruments in Logic 5.5, and what is Apple offering? The best we can hope for is that these machines will be outdated soon. Apple is still giving me no reason to get rid of my old G4 upgraded to a 1.25gHz 7457 cpu. My biggest fear is that Apple thinks this "update" should last more than 3 months. That this time next year we get a 2.9ghz machine with whatever technology is currently on today's state of the art PC's.

I love Mac OS, I really can't work on Windows, it's just so . . . blah, but come on Apple, and why can't I have 2 optical drives on the most expensive machine you make. If you have Apple stock sell now, or be prepared for another dip.
post #28 of 55
if you really magnify that photo, you can see that the tape it's wrapped in says "Intel inside" on it ...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #29 of 55
Quote:
Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot
if you really magnify that photo, you can see that the tape it's wrapped in says "Intel inside" on it ...

post #30 of 55
Quote:

More VERY interesting info from this. There is a date at the bottom of the page that states it will be available from Amazon on April 27th, tomorrow. So, I think this nearly cinches it all up as accurate. I hope Amazon survives as an Apple Reseller.

Thanks to all here and appleinsider. I shall ready myself to make my purchase.
post #31 of 55
people...its a crate with a black plastic garbage bag over it...good lord...excuse me while i prepare to release my iHome pictures...atleast those pictures had us thinking for like five minutes...
post #32 of 55
Quote:
Originally posted by ineedag5pbnow
people...its a crate with a black plastic garbage bag over it...good lord...excuse me while i prepare to release my iHome pictures...atleast those pictures had us thinking for like five minutes...

look the photo may be a fake, but new PowerMacs are coming.
post #33 of 55
Quote:
Originally posted by MacCrazy
look the photo may be a fake, but new PowerMacs are coming.

of course...but still...it got me thinking of snapping a few pics of the new powermac crates at my local apple store...
post #34 of 55
Quote:
If you had ordered then, I'm sure Apple would have automatically upgraded you to the newer version.

Usually with apple your out of luck. There sadly very strick about that.\
You could try to cancle the order. Then order a new one.

I wonder what the price on the left over dual 1.8s will be?

The new superdrives are dual Layer but amazon shows only CD/DVD+RW not CD/DVD±RW.
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
post #35 of 55
Quote:
Originally posted by ineedag5pbnow
of course...but still...it got me thinking of snapping a few pics of the new powermac crates at my local apple store...

why? so you can post a picture online? it's not like there's some huge mystery we're trying to solve.
post #36 of 55
Quote:
Originally posted by AquaMac

Too damn right. I ordered my TiPB on the understanding that there was no upgrade on the horizon - I specifically asked Apple if they were bringing out a CDRW version. "No" was the answer.

Six working days after I ordered my CDR-only PB, guess what Apple announced. I shouted at AppleStore, but they merely replied they (the sales force) know nothing about new models until the day they arrive. That was their official (and legal) position. The UK Office of Fair Trading, to whom I complained, said that Apple should have made it clear that a new model was in the offing, or reduced its price but there was no legal necessity for them to do so. Caveat Emptor.

That's why I now study AI religiously - I'm about to buy a G5, and am intrigued what added value the 2.3 might possibly have over the 2ghz: more RAM ? bigger L2 cache or HD ? They all need decent graphics processors...
post #37 of 55
Quote:
Originally posted by AquaMac
You could try to cancle the order. Then order a new one.

It depends, if the channel is out of stock, as Apple often has it when new models are coming out, then they always upgrade you to the new machine.

But if you order a week before an update to a current machine comes out, and there is stock on the older version, Apple will send the old version to you.

JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER COMPANY DOES!
post #38 of 55
Quote:
Originally posted by phasornc
... Apple is still giving me no reason to get rid of my old G4 upgraded to a 1.25gHz 7457 cpu. ...

Dude! You can double your current Xbench score by getting a single 1.8 G5. The dual-2.3 in these new updates would more than quadruple it.

I usually don't upgrade until I can at least triple my performance at a reasonable price.
post #39 of 55
Quote:
Originally posted by pecosbill
More VERY interesting info from this. There is a date at the bottom of the page that states it will be available from Amazon on April 27th, tomorrow. So, I think this nearly cinches it all up as accurate. I hope Amazon survives as an Apple Reseller.

Thanks to all here and appleinsider. I shall ready myself to make my purchase.

No longer accepting pre-orders. Links still work but items now say "This item is currently not available"
post #40 of 55
Has anybody checked price drops for older systems on ebay yet?

4 posts to 2000/
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Photo shows new Power Mac G5 palette shipments