or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Whatcha Watching/Listening To? Thread v05.05

Whatcha Watching/Listening To? Thread v05.05

post #1 of 93
Well?
-----------------

Too Much Information -- The Police -- Ghost In The Machine

and later:

Bullshit!, the complete 1st season. (various episodes)

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

post #2 of 93
Retrovizorja - Du
"Lakuriq"
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
post #3 of 93
"Now" by the Pat McGee Band!

Check them out ... they're very good!!!
MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB HDD
Mac mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 320GB HDD
iPod 5th Generation, 30GB
iPhone 4, 32GB
iPhone 4, 32GB
post #4 of 93
Protoculture: Avalon (genre:PsyTrance)
post #5 of 93
What was wrong with my "watcha listening to" thread? It's a right wing conspiracy.

I blame Bush.
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
post #6 of 93
Quote:
Originally posted by crazychester
What was wrong with my "watcha listening to" thread? It's a right wing conspiracy.

I blame Bush.

Maybe so!

I was tired this morning so I just posted at the first one I saw ... in anycase, now I'm listening to Lynyrd Skynyrd's Greatest Hits...
iPhone 4, 32GB
iPhone 4, 32GB
post #7 of 93
the faint - wet from birth

great electronic stuff from saddle creek (label name).
Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion
Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion
post #8 of 93
John Law Burned Down The Liquor Sto' -- Chris Thomas King With Colin Linden -- Down From The Mountain: Live Concert Performances By The Artists & Musicians Of "O Brother, Where Art Thou?"

post #9 of 93
Quote:
Originally posted by r3dx0r
the faint - wet from birth

great electronic stuff from saddle creek (label name).

i like their "danse macabre" cd better. still, great retro new wave electro

anyway:
repair machines - vitalic
from the cd: ok cowboy. 2005 pias
also great electronic stuff
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #10 of 93
All The Love in the World - Nine Inch Nails

Preview With Teeth here!

I managed to get tickets for last night's NIN show in San Francisco at The Warfield. It was a blast. I expected to hear more stuff off the new album, but that's my only complaint, and a minor one at that!

I love the new album and I encourage everyone to check it out! I think it may be one of the best releases of the year, right up there with Beck's Guero.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #11 of 93
the hand that feeds [dub mix] - NIN
from the cds: halo 18: the hand that feeds. 2005 interscope

thank you for the preview xool
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #12 of 93
Viskningar och rop (1972) (Cries and Whispers) -- Directed by Ingmar Bergman

post #13 of 93
Only by NIN (from With Teeth)

I didn't like the album the first time I listened. To me, Trent seemed to have mellowed out a bit. He's still angry, just less intense about it

Beck's Guero is also fantastic. (This coming from a guy who's been pretty down on mainstream artists for the past while)
post #14 of 93
Quote:
Originally posted by mikef
Only by NIN (from With Teeth)

I didn't like the album the first time I listened. To me, Trent seemed to have mellowed out a bit. He's still angry, just less intense about it

Beck's Guero is also fantastic. (This coming from a guy who's been pretty down on mainstream artists for the past while)

Sometimes I feel that I'm a piano whore. Toss in some Trent vocals/harmonies and I can't stop eating it up. I almost think the new CD was made just for me.

I'll stop short of a full review (unless people are interested), but as a longtime NIN fan I'm pretty satisfied with the new CD. Unlike The Fragile, With Teeth seems tightened up. I think this is the most accessible/commercial NIN album and it will be interesting to see how it sells.

This week I've also been listening to Blinking Lights and Other Revelations by The Eels. If only a new Dandy Warhols album came out too... then I'd have it all!
post #15 of 93
Quote:
Originally posted by Xool
I'll stop short of a full review (unless people are interested), but as a longtime NIN fan I'm pretty satisfied with the new CD.

It's not Pretty Hate Machine but it's up there

Quote:
Unlike The Fragile, With Teeth seems tightened up. I think this is the most accessible/commercial NIN album and it will be interesting to see how it sells.

Good way of putting it ("accessible"). Unfortunately, it'll be played to death by the usual avenues. Thankfully I do not listen to radio anymore.
post #16 of 93
Only-Nine Inch Nails

i haven't stopped listening to With Teeth since I saw about the preview. mikef-i didn't like it on the first listen too much either, but it just keeps getting better the more i listen to it.

side note: have you guys seen the "bonus" videos on NIN's site? basically they're NIN commercials. the one of the band rocking out is awesome.
I think I think...therefore, I think I am.

We get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more...

We get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more...
post #17 of 93
One of the things I enjoyed about the NIN concert was the complete lack of teeny-boppers. Everyone at the show seemed like a pretty dedicated fan.

I'm going to a Green Day concert in the fall and I know I'm gonna have to deal with squealing youngsters.

Quote:
Originally posted by mattjohndrow
i haven't stopped listening to With Teeth since I saw about the preview

I've had access to the album for about a week and have listened to little else.

When the concert sold out I was disappointed but planned on going to the bigger tour in the Fall. Once I heard the album though, I knew I had to go. I dug around for tickets to the show and boy was it worth it.

I love a lot of tracks on With Teeth, but I think All The Love in the World might be my favorite... something about the wavering vocals, drumbeats, and piano just does it for me. Time for another listen! 8)
post #18 of 93
Quote:
I love a lot of tracks on With Teeth, but I think All The Love in the World might be my favorite... something about the wavering vocals, drumbeats, and piano just does it for me. Time for another listen! 8)

the piano is just incredible. i'm a big big fan of "Only" as well.

oh yeah...Kenna-Hellbent

post #19 of 93
Oooh, I just bought these guys; http://www.arenarockrecordingco.com/.../biography.htm . I totaly recommend them, great style.

You can listen to some examples here; http://www.arenarockrecordingco.com/audiovideo.htm , click on Worm is Green.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #20 of 93
Listening to: Sun Ra - Drop me off in Harlem.
We're investigating reports of indecent acts being committed at the YMCA.
post #21 of 93
Four Tet - She Moves She
"Rounds"
post #22 of 93
Lynard Skynard, Sweet Home Alabama
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
post #23 of 93
My playlist for the next few weeks:

Gorillaz-Feel Good Inc
Hot Hot Heat-Goodnight Goodnight
Beck-E-Pro
Audioslave-Be Yourself
Moby-Beautiful
Mars Volta-The Widow
Kings of Leon-The Bucket
Kaiser Chiefs-I Predict A Riot
Caesars-Jerk It Out
Zutons-Pressure Point
QOTSA-Little Sister
The Bravery-Honest Mistake
NIN-With Teeth (whole album)

it's all i've been listening to lately.

post #24 of 93
Quote:
Originally posted by mattjohndrow
My playlist for the next few weeks:

Gorillaz-Feel Good Inc
Hot Hot Heat-Goodnight Goodnight
Beck-E-Pro
Audioslave-Be Yourself
Moby-Beautiful
Mars Volta-The Widow
Kings of Leon-The Bucket
Kaiser Chiefs-I Predict A Riot
Caesars-Jerk It Out
Zutons-Pressure Point
QOTSA-Little Sister
The Bravery-Honest Mistake
NIN-With Teeth (whole album)

it's all i've been listening to lately.

Familiar with some of that stuff and the rest I think I'll check out. I'm glad With Teeth made it in its entirety... its been in heavy rotation on my iPod since I got it about two weeks ago. I'm looking forward to replacing the mystery-source tracks with personal rips from my CD.
post #25 of 93
Soft Machine - Eamonn Andrews/All White
post #26 of 93
These have been in the player last few days.

Miles Davis: The Complete Live At The Plugged Nickel.
Sarah Vaughan W/ Clifford Brown
Don Walser: The Archive Series Vol. 2
Kitchens Of Distinction: The Death of Cool
Blue Cheer: Outside Inside

Heh, talk about "dating" myself...
You know, what's interesting about our country is that for years we were isolated from the world by two great oceans, and for a while we got a false sense of security as a result of that. We...
You know, what's interesting about our country is that for years we were isolated from the world by two great oceans, and for a while we got a false sense of security as a result of that. We...
post #27 of 93
My playlist of albums on high rotation:

Doves:
Lost Souls
Some Cities

Elbow:
Asleep in the back

Keane:
Hopes and Fears

Muse:
Absolution (I love Butterflies and Hurricanes), Origin of Symmetry, Showbiz

Mogwai:
Government Commisions

Radiohead:
Pablo Honey, The Bends, OK Computer, Amnesiac, Kid A, Hail to the thief plus a bunch of B sides

The Music:
The Music

Obviously I'm a fan of British alternative rock 8)
Beware of Trojans, they're complete smegheads - Dave Lister.
Beware of Trojans, they're complete smegheads - Dave Lister.
post #28 of 93
entire "amber" cd from autechre
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #29 of 93
Gorillaz - Demon Days

Good stuff, but I still can't stop listening to NIN's With Teeth.
post #30 of 93
Quote:
Gorillaz - Demon Days

Good stuff, but I still can't stop listening to NIN's With Teeth.

same goes for me. i'll listen to something else, then stop and put With Teeth back in.

Beside You In Time-With Teeth

post #31 of 93
Lot a NIN fans around here, hey?

The Fiery Furnaces-EP
Animal Collective-Sung Tongs
Aphex Twin-Come to Daddy
Wolfeyes
Daniel Johnson
Deerhoof
Boards of Canada
Mercury Rev
Goodspeed You Black Emperor

And no matter how hard I try, I can't stop listening to Yoshimi BAttles the Pink Robots
post #32 of 93
Gong - I'm Your Pussy
post #33 of 93
beats, bombs, bass, weapons (ft. toastie taylor) - the bug
from the cd: pressure
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #34 of 93
Music:

M.I.A (Shes awesome!)
Phoenix
Jaco Pastorious
Steely Dan
Loincloth
Sea and Cake

Video:

Curb Your Enthusiasm
A friend will help you move, but a REAL FRIEND will help you move a body.
A friend will help you move, but a REAL FRIEND will help you move a body.
post #35 of 93
Sun Ra - Advice for Medics
post #36 of 93
Moon River - Sarah Vaughan
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
post #37 of 93
Joe Public-The Rutles

post #38 of 93
Stream the new gorillaz album here.
post #39 of 93
Just heard (and subsequently DLd) the single most disturbing song that I have ever heard, a rapper called Akon sampled Alvin and The Chipmunks' version of the classic Mr Lonely...I havn't laughed that hard in months, It is the musical equivelant of a train wreck - you know you shouldnt listen but you cant turn it off...

I think I will stick to classic rock although I am developing a taste for swing/ratpack type music...

Is it me or is moddern music (speaking only of the top ~25 that get radio play) getting worse by the week?
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #40 of 93
By the minute.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Whatcha Watching/Listening To? Thread v05.05