or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Mac OS X 10.4.1 on track for May release
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mac OS X 10.4.1 on track for May release

post #1 of 77
Thread Starter 
Apple has yet to officially unleash Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger," but already insiders are abuzz about the first update to the next-generation operating system, code-named "Atlanta."

Scheduled for release sometime next month, the Mac OS X 10.4.1 Update will reportedly tie several loose ends vacated when the Mac maker, on deadline, declared build 8A428 of Mac OS X 10.4 gold master on March 31st.

Almost immediately thereafter, the Mac OS X Update team at Apple began work on Atlanta, which will also include optimizations and deliver support for DVD Studio Pro 4, part of Apple's new $1299 Final Cut Studio video production suite.

Based on recent mumblings, it appears that Apple hopes to ship Final Cut Studio in mid-May, around the 17th. Due to the production suite's dependence on the Tiger update, it's assumed that Mac OS X 10.4.1 will be released around the same time.

Sources close to Apple believe the company will begin distributing pre-release copies of Mac OS X 10.4.1 Update to developers within the next week.

Meanwhile, at 6:00 p.m. this Friday, all 105 Apple retail stores and participating Apple Authorized Resellers will host Tiger World Premiere events to officially usher in Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger." The events are scheduled to run till midnight.
post #2 of 77
I´m just glad there´s a Party in Austria as well....
I hope they fix my problems with the iDisk synching before 10.4.1....
Now running on a 20" aluminium iMac (Fall 2008), as well as a Macboook Pro 13" (mid 2009) and an iPhone.
Reply
Now running on a 20" aluminium iMac (Fall 2008), as well as a Macboook Pro 13" (mid 2009) and an iPhone.
Reply
post #3 of 77
My CompUSA is having a party but I am going out of town and have to miss it. SUCKS! But I can't pass up my nitro fix (NHRA).
Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #4 of 77
Looking forward to 10.4.1. The initial release of 10.4 has quite a few bugs.

- Slideshows (the ones you can trigger from the Finder, Spotlight, or Mail) sometimes display a screen full of garbage. Sometimes it works. It's sporatic. There's garbage appearing in several other full screen situations as well, but in most other cases, it only appears for a second and then goes away (such as when you switch to full screen mode in QuickTime, or start a screensaver).

- The Finder has actually managed to get worse. Resizing windows in icon often didn't work correctly in 10.3...this hasn't been fixed. Now there's a problem with resizing list windows too. If you make your columns narrower, the window won't shrink to fit the correct size. You have to drag it to a new size, then click resize again, and then it works...almost. The window is always several pixels wider and taller than it should be. The resize cursor doesn't appear when you hover over the edge of a list header, until you start dragging, so there is no indication whether you're pointing in the right spot.

- Speaking of mouse cursors, there's a problem with the wrong cursor occasionally "sticking" in many applications. There seems to be a big problem in general in determining the correct mouse cursor.

- Drag and drop operations no longer work in several apps -- even ones that have been updated for Tiger compatibility (e.g. DragThing...you can no longer drag and drop an application into the include/exclude list for a dock). In Azureus, you can no longer drop a .torrent file into the window; you must now select them manually with an "open" dialog.

But I don't want to come off too negative. These are just a few flaws in an otherwise great update. There's a lot more to like about it than grit your teeth about:

- As usual the UI has been refined even further; everything looks really nice.

- The iTunes Album Artwork screensaver is really cool, as long as you've added artwork to most of your music. I've got over 7000 songs, and at least 80% of them have artwork, and I like the iTunes screensaver a lot.

- The RSS screensaver is pretty neat too.

- Dashboard is really handy. Chews up a lot of memory though. My one beef about it is that the widgets don't load until the first time you try to use Dashboard, so you'll be sitting there waiting for quite awhile the first time you try to use it. The widgets are very slow to start up (especially when you have a lot of them open), and some of them don't respond for several minutes.

- Spotlight is great. It's going to become a big part of how people use their Mac, especially as more and more apps add plugins to support the metadata in their file formats. It's no replacement for LaunchBar though. It can't find discontiguous letters (so "TX" won't find Text Edit, and "PS" won't find Photoshop). The developers of LaunchBar and QuickSilver have absolutely nothing to worry about. Spotlight is really not the same thing at all (although it does steal their default shortcut, but you can change it back easily). Fortunately, LaunchBar/QuickSilver and Spotlight co-exist very nicely.

- Resizing video in QuickTime is really smooth and impressive, and I've only got a Radeon AGP (32 MB). Some people scoffed that this was one of the "200 new features", saying that Apple was padding the list, but they'll eat their words when they see it for themselves. QuickTime 7 is great all around, actually. The full screen controls are very handy.

Quite a lot of other minor things I liked as well. It's now possible to remove the US input method entirely when you have Kotoeri enabled (for Japanese input). The Romaji mode of Kotoeri is the same layout as the US, with one key difference: there are keyboard shortcuts to switch to hiragana/katakana. In 10.3 you could turn off the US input method, but it would still be in the menu, and if an app mistakenly switched to it (happened sometimes), the Kotoeri shortcuts stopped working.

Tiger has quite a bit more flexibility in date/time formats. It takes longer to set it up the way you want, but you have a lot more control over it. I recommend choosing the US region and customizing it, because some other regions mysteriously don't work in all apps. If you choose Canada, and make the same exact customizations, a bunch of apps will ignore them. So choose US (or another one that doesn't give the warning), and simply set it up however you want. One neat new feature is the ability to select from a bunch of different calendar types. Most of us use Gregorian, but you can now select Buddhist, Japanese, and other calendars. (The Japanese calendar, for example, substitutes the year with a different number based on how long the current emperor has reigned.)

Anyway, that's more than enough out of me for the moment.
post #5 of 77
Woo!

Party at MacUpgrades!
Ridiculous lucky captain rabbit king, lucky captain rabbit king nuggets are for the youth!
Reply
Ridiculous lucky captain rabbit king, lucky captain rabbit king nuggets are for the youth!
Reply
post #6 of 77
They should have waited until May.
post #7 of 77
Well, the nice thing is that as a consumer, you can wait as long as you want.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
post #8 of 77
Wow I haven't even ordered Tiger yet and it's already old news.
post #9 of 77
This is normal. By the time version X ships, version X + 1 is well on its way to being done. By the time that rolls out, X + 2 is on its way. This is just the nature of the business.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
post #10 of 77
Quote:
Originally posted by Kickaha
This is normal. By the time version X ships, version X + 1 is well on its way to being done. By the time that rolls out, X + 2 is on its way. This is just the nature of the business.

We've been through all of this before, haven't we? I know how it works, but remember that it's not written in stone. If the update is ready enough to be sent to developers within the next week or two, plus other testing and release in May, then Apple could have done it as part of 10.4.

This is just foolishness. The pro apps now need 10.4.1. How silly. The next update most likely won't come for another three months after 4.1. They could have waited a few more weeks.
post #11 of 77
Yes, we have been over this before, and it hasn't changed.

If you wait to roll in the X+1 changes, and ship, then the X+2 changes are right around the corner now... so why not wait for those?

No matter *what* line in the sand you choose to make, there will always be changes 'almost ready' that someone will slam you for not waiting for. Basically, you have to ignore them. Their opinion can't matter, because if you satisfy them by waiting, you'll just tick off someone else later, ad infinitum.

If you wait until the product is 'done', you'll never ship, period. Likewise, if as a customer you wait until the product is 'done', you'll never buy... but in that case, the only person who loses out is you. A company shipping product doesn't have that luxury.

Apple chose Mar31 as the freeze date for 10.4, for reasons that you and I aren't privy to. I seriously doubt it was at a whim.

The point is: development never stops. Anytime a product ships, the next version of it is already well under way. This is normal, to be expected, and most of all, a good thing. This is also why non-critical bugs caught only after a release tend not to get fixed until 2 releases later... the next release is already planned out, in progress, and hopefully being tested.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
post #12 of 77
Quote:
Originally posted by Kickaha
Yes, we have been over this before, and it hasn't changed.

If you wait to roll in the X+1 changes, and ship, then the X+2 changes are right around the corner now... so why not wait for those?

No matter *what* line in the sand you choose to make, there will always be changes 'almost ready' that someone will slam you for not waiting for. Basically, you have to ignore them. Their opinion can't matter, because if you satisfy them by waiting, you'll just tick off someone else later, ad infinitum.

If you wait until the product is 'done', you'll never ship, period. Likewise, if as a customer you wait until the product is 'done', you'll never buy... but in that case, the only person who loses out is you. A company shipping product doesn't have that luxury.

Apple chose Mar31 as the freeze date for 10.4, for reasons that you and I aren't privy to. I seriously doubt it was at a whim.

The point is: development never stops. Anytime a product ships, the next version of it is already well under way. This is normal, to be expected, and most of all, a good thing. This is also why non-critical bugs caught only after a release tend not to get fixed until 2 releases later... the next release is already planned out, in progress, and hopefully being tested.

Kickaha, this is a fun discussion. We're not going anywhere with it, but we all have to have something to do, correct?

Anyway, as I said, it's unlikely that Apple will come out with another update for several months. As this first one is so close, they should have finished it.

Developers are already expressing disappointment that Apple wrapped it up when they did.

Meanwhile, my pre-ordered copy from Amazon as well as my copy of CS2 has not come yet, nor have I recieved e-mail notices from them that they have been shipped.
post #13 of 77
i have 10.4 and it's ok.
nothing too spectacular.
I'm hoping not to flame or make any macheads mad, but let's be real here guys...the first panther release was awesome compared to this.
sorry, maybe i'm not seeing everything. :????

sam
post #14 of 77
Quote:
Originally posted by sam_dlg
i have 10.4 and it's ok.
nothing too spectacular.
I'm hoping not to flame or make any macheads mad, but let's be real here guys...the first panther release was awesome compared to this.
sorry, maybe i'm not seeing everything. :????

sam

You waited for nearly a year for this to be your first post?
post #15 of 77
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Me
You waited for nearly a year for this to be your first post?

It's no worse than most posts I've seen here.
post #16 of 77
Quote:
Originally posted by sam_dlg
i have 10.4 and it's ok.
nothing too spectacular.
I'm hoping not to flame or make any macheads mad, but let's be real here guys...the first panther release was awesome compared to this.
sorry, maybe i'm not seeing everything. :????

sam


Explain how Panther was "awesome" compared to this? This is your opinion of course. I'm just curious as to what you like the most about Panther.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #17 of 77
Quote:
Originally posted by hmurchison
Explain how Panther was "awesome" compared to this?

Mind you, he talks about the first Panther release, the one that nuked some poor souls firewire drives \ .
post #18 of 77
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
We've been through all of this before, haven't we? I know how it works, but remember that it's not written in stone. If the update is ready enough to be sent to developers within the next week or two, plus other testing and release in May, then Apple could have done it as part of 10.4.

This is just foolishness. The pro apps now need 10.4.1. How silly. The next update most likely won't come for another three months after 4.1. They could have waited a few more weeks.

Most small 3rd party developers can't afford to be ADC members, and they can't update their apps before the final is available which means that no matter what users will see buggy apps and things that break their systems.

Plus developers can't test everything - there will always be bugs found the second regular users install the software.

Take a look at 10.3.9, it went through a pretty long seeding period with many seeds both through ADC and AppleSeed, and two seconds after release, someone found a Java bug, that wasn't found during the test period.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
post #19 of 77
Quote:
Most small 3rd party developers can't afford to be ADC members


***Cough***** BS ******Cough*****

I can't speak for running a business outside of the US but here in the states it can be a better strategy to sign up for the ADC. That's a business expense that can have portions written off on your taxes. If I was starting a biz around developing ADC and MSDN(if I was cross platform) would be the "first" thing I'd be investing in. This "I can't afford $500 for ADC" is total BS. To all ISV please let me know if this is true so I can dump your product like a sack of bricks. I'm not dealing with fly by night companies that don't invest.

Oh BTW a "small" one product developer like delicious-monster.com will actively consider licensing something like IMBD access in addition to Amazon and those fees run 5 figures annually folks. Can't afford $500 pfffff you don't deserve to be in business.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #20 of 77
hehehe 1 year before posting LOL hilarious...I know. i forgot that I had signed up.

and of course, I usually don't have much to say. i'm a mac newbie

**********
Please excuse me for my limited mac experience, I'm a windows user, and a windows developer.
**********
To me panther seemed to add more neat things, and created a new UI.
*****
I hate the fact that it was requiring me to sign up with a .mac account --> that's stupid. even msft doesn't require my email address, home address & telephone # after installing xp.

and about the 200 new features list that apple has on their website?!?!

gimme a break! talk about major padding!

can someone please help me uncover some cool things in tiger?
Please, once again, not trying to start a flame here.

sam
post #21 of 77
I mean, go to the apple store
and view the "TOP NEW FEATURES OF TIGER"
and it includes lame "new features" such as:

Safari RSS
iChat
QuickTime 7

gimme a break!!! these should've been updates to the 10.3

* spotlight search is incredible! I'm amazed at it's speed
* dashboard is ok, would like more widgets.

can't wait to use the automator
post #22 of 77
4 posts now. :-)
post #23 of 77
http://www.apple.com/macosx/

That should help you uncover all you need
post #24 of 77
thanks for that.
I'm glad that it works better with windows now.

AND EVERYONE DON'T GET ME WRONG, I love apple's direction and their platform and the GUI. Just don't think this is that big of a release.
post #25 of 77
Being able to search for files in the save and open dialogue box is reason enough to upgrade.
post #26 of 77
upgrade OS for a search utility?! Give me a break!

Maybe an upgrade to google's free search utility.
post #27 of 77
Apple has a page that contains 200 reasons to upgrade to Tiger. Each potential upgrader should look there and see what features are important and make their decision.

I'd really hate to see Tiger boil down to "search" when facts are it contains upgrades in almost all facets. I'm pretty freakin' impressed with the dictionary functionality.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #28 of 77
it's very cool how they did extend their "smart playlist" -like functionality found in iTunes to these searchable/savable folders.

So props on the searching. Just not reason alone to upgrade for the average consumer.
post #29 of 77
Would anyone else agree that list of 200 features is about 65%+ padded?

dictionary? tell me more.
post #30 of 77
Quote:
Originally posted by sam_dlg
Just not reason alone to upgrade for the average consumer.

You will most likely be proved wrong when the sales numbers for Tiger are released.
post #31 of 77
what about the under the hood stuff, mister windows programmer? core image, core data, core video, core audio (was in panther). i would think that stuff would get your rocks off!

h.264, quartz composer, xcode 2, GCC 4...voice over, better system profiler, way improved mail app, automator, much improved security abilities.

i will give you that the 200+ statement is a bit padded, but there is a ton of stuff thats a huge improvement over panther.
much respect
Reply
much respect
Reply
post #32 of 77
the dictionary features are great too! i can see getting a lot of use out of it. the ability to get a definition of a word without leaving the app your in, and with a simple keyboard shortcut. pretty sweet.
much respect
Reply
much respect
Reply
post #33 of 77
I think apple should add a page to the Tiger page, going from 1 to 200, listing EACH addon, and links to more info. But hey, they prolly won't bother - there is a HUGE demand for Tiger as it is

Spotlight: What you guys are missing is that this isn't 'just' searching...not like searching on winblows or something. It looks inside your files!

Smart Folders: Wow! Now I'm not an iPhoto person so I have all my images in folders...now all I do here is say show me all images over x size or taken @ y focal length, aperture, shutter speed, et voila - it shows me all my pics

Another thing, the new finder FINALLY thumbnails ALL images correctly!

I've had a bit of instability with the slide show feature tho. Hope it gets addressed in the update.

Right now I'm staying away from spotlight, safari and smart folders as I think these areas need some serious 'fixing'...
post #34 of 77
Quote:
Originally posted by sam_dlg
Would anyone else agree that list of 200 features is about 65%+ padded?

dictionary? tell me more.

Will you please put all of this stuff into one post? We know that you are trying to get your post numbers up, but it's annoying to read one line after another.

You should read the reviews of 10.4 in some of the Pc publications, as well as those done in ARs and Anand. If you do, you will see that they reccomend it highly.

If you think that this is a minor upgrade then you haven't followed what is being said in those journals, as well as the professional ones such as Computerworld, Infoworld, E-Week, Forbes, etc.

Please read up before you post some more.
post #35 of 77
As with every update the usefulness of the new software is judged by the needs it fulfills. When upgrading from jaguar to panther people noticed a bigger increase in features and functionality simply because jaguar lacked many features people needed. Tiger has more new features and all around more core changes than panther but many people do not need these features. Most were not craving spotlight, core image, core audio, a muli-threaded kernal, etc. Most people don't really know what these features represent or what their usefulness is. Therefore, the average user probably wont notice the new features in tiger like they did in panther.

Tiger is without a doubt the the biggest update to Mac OS X when you look at under the hood changes. I have not had any trouble with my install as of yet. There actually seems to be far less bugs than 10.3 had. All around I am rather pleases with tiger.
"People don't want handouts! People want hand jobs!" ~ Connecticut governor William O'Neil at a political rally, followed by riotous applause
Reply
"People don't want handouts! People want hand jobs!" ~ Connecticut governor William O'Neil at a political rally, followed by riotous applause
Reply
post #36 of 77
Quote:
Originally posted by hmurchison
***Cough***** BS ******Cough*****

I can't speak for running a business outside of the US but here in the states it can be a better strategy to sign up for the ADC. That's a business expense that can have portions written off on your taxes. If I was starting a biz around developing ADC and MSDN(if I was cross platform) would be the "first" thing I'd be investing in. This "I can't afford $500 for ADC" is total BS. To all ISV please let me know if this is true so I can dump your product like a sack of bricks. I'm not dealing with fly by night companies that don't invest.

Following the Apple Java mail list you would be surprised to see how many Java developers that aren't ADC members.

Yes, $500 isn't really that much, but somehow many have a hard time convincing their bosses.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
post #37 of 77
Quote:
Originally posted by JLL
Following the Apple Java mail list you would be surprised to see how many Java developers that aren't ADC members.

Yes, $500 isn't really that much, but somehow many have a hard time convincing their bosses.

That's very possibly true, but I think that it's mostly true of shareware and freeware (hobbiest) authors rather than professionals or companies who expect to make steady income of a volume that makes the $500 seem like nothing. It's the cost of a program.

I think that any company cheap enough to not be willing to pay $500, is too cheap to vet their software before they release it, and would probably be too cheap to have proper support.

It really is a small sum.
post #38 of 77
When Apple make a GM they have to pause development for a month - testing it etc, that is why there is always an update soon after. It's been almost three weeks since the GM came out remember.
post #39 of 77
Quote:
Originally posted by MacCrazy
When Apple make a GM they have to pause development for a month - testing it etc, that is why there is always an update soon after. It's been almost three weeks since the GM came out remember.

Sure, great. But it didn't have to go GM at that time. It could have gone GM whenever it was ready.

This is a pretty buggy release. It didn't have to be.

It's no excuse that there are always bugs. We all know that. When the development teams know that there are bugs that are going to cause immediate problems with the release, they are supposed to tell management that. Management is then supposed to allow them to fix those bugs.

Apple shouldn't be coming out with significant bug fixes two or three weeks after release.

The excuse for releasing this now according to some here was that it had to be out in time for the new pro apps being released at NAB. I didn't agree that it would be so important for that to happen.

Well, if it did happen, at least that could be used as an excuse.

But, as we now see, the pro apps need the .1 update anyway. Duh!
post #40 of 77
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
Sure, great. But it didn't have to go GM at that time. It could have gone GM whenever it was ready.

This is a pretty buggy release. It didn't have to be.

It's no excuse that there are always bugs. We all know that. When the development teams know that there are bugs that are going to cause immediate problems with the release, they are supposed to tell management that. Management is then supposed to allow them to fix those bugs.

Apple shouldn't be coming out with significant bug fixes two or three weeks after release.

The excuse for releasing this now according to some here was that it had to be out in time for the new pro apps being released at NAB. I didn't agree that it would be so important for that to happen.

Well, if it did happen, at least that could be used as an excuse.

But, as we now see, the pro apps need the .1 update anyway. Duh!

The problem is people always wait for 10.X.2 till they upgrade - i haven't seen any major bugs - except Mail at the beginning with deleting mail and the iTunes widget.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Mac OS X 10.4.1 on track for May release