or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple sued over "Tiger," requested injunction could prevent launch

Apple sued over "Tiger," requested injunction could prevent launch - Page 2

post #41 of 98
Quote:
Originally posted by kerryb
It is hard to feel sympathy for Apple when stupid lawsuits like this one pop up. Live by the sword die by the sword. There may be "some" legitimate complaint on behalf of the Tiger Direct but the timing shows reveals it is a just a money grab like most lawsuits. I think the injunction would actually give "Tiger" that's Mac OS X 10.4, an even bigger publicity push. When will the copyright BS end?

Apple sued over the illegal disclosure of proprietary information...the release of which was prohibited by the voluntary singing by the guilty party of a binding legal contract called a Non-Disclosure Agreement. What TigerDirect is doing is total BS.
post #42 of 98
Stick a fork in this case, it's done.

Tiger Direct is going to lose more money on this hopeless cause than they could have possibly lost from their faux claim that they've A) been dropped down in rank for internet searches and B) that's somehow losing them business?

Sure.

Apple can't help that almost as many people are interested in their OS as are interested in Tiger Direct's whole store.
post #43 of 98
Quote:
Originally posted by Apparatus
Stick a fork in this case, it's done.

Tiger Direct is going to lose more money on this hopeless cause than they could have possibly lost from their faux claim

It's especially funny because if you try and look up "Tiger Direct" and "Lawsuit" on Google, you end up with pages and pages of links to customers suing them for poor service, unpaid rebates, ect. Possibly this is not the best advertising?
post #44 of 98
Quote:
Originally posted by Hugi
Oh, and make sure you let them know how you feel about this.

I used the contact form to send them a message, hope their customer service folks can sort this problem out...

Name: Steve
E-mail: steve@apple.com
Subject: Sales Inquiry / Product Info
Message: I'm confused. Where can I buy Mac OS X 10.4 from your site? Please help.

This username is deprecated. Upgrade to andreslucero.
This username is deprecated. Upgrade to andreslucero.
post #45 of 98
I sent them a message as well telling them I was looking into a PC for gaming and simply because of the lawsuit.

Either way...I don't really care cuz my order shipped yesterday

I get my copy tomorrow at 4:30pm!! mowhahahaahhaahahaha

Screw all ya'all at TigerDirect
BriJQ84
BriJQ84
post #46 of 98
Well, so much for tiger direct as an apple reseller...
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #47 of 98
FYI, someone at MacRumors.com forums, claiming inside info, has some details to share that put Tiger Direct in a (slightly) better light. I can't vouch for them, but FWIW... here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...&postcount=100

Supposedly the lawsuit is over Apple using a larger font for the word Tiger on their packaging, than they had previously promised to use.

No money or delay (hope it's true!) is being sought--just a change in future packaging.

Now... this raises the question, how would product packaging take business away from the tigerdirect.com site? That word "frivolous" seems to be popping up again...

And what about the search results issue? Is that part for real?
post #48 of 98
The number and reasons for lawsuits in the USA is a bit of a joke to the rest of the world. I'm glad the Americans on this forum are laughing about this one

How can a company that uses the name of an animal sue another company for using the name of the same animal? That would be as crazy as a company that uses the name of a fruit suing another company for using the same fruit as it's name... oh wait, that actually happened
Beware of Trojans, they're complete smegheads - Dave Lister.
Beware of Trojans, they're complete smegheads - Dave Lister.
post #49 of 98
Request a catalog to show their ad budget is working on and on....
post #50 of 98
There really is no need for alarm. My guess is that Apple will win the law suite far and square.

A) Apple will not go down without a fight. If they are forced to change their name, they will claim that by changing that name, they are being inflicted millions of dollars of profit lost.
B) Tiger is TMed, and its not Apples problem that some stupid people are getting TigerDirect confused with Apple's Tiger 10.4.
C) Tiger is software...TigerDirect is store name...two different ball parks.
D) If an injunction is ruled, Apple will try to settle it, i.e, authorize tiger direct to sell Tiger.
E) NO company should be responsible for confusionon the part of a customer. No one could predict confusion.
F) Apple = Bigger, Better, Company = Bigger Lawyers, Bigger Guns
post #51 of 98
Quote:
Originally posted by icfireball
There really is no need for alarm. My guess is that Apple will win the law suite far and square.

A) Apple will not go down without a fight. If they are forced to change their name, they will claim that by changing that name, they are being inflicted millions of dollars of profit lost.
B) Tiger is TMed, and its not Apples problem that some stupid people are getting TigerDirect confused with Apple's Tiger 10.4.
C) Tiger is software...TigerDirect is store name...two different ball parks.
D) If an injunction is ruled, Apple will try to settle it, i.e, authorize tiger direct to sell Tiger.
E) NO company should be responsible for confusionon the part of a customer. No one could predict confusion.
F) Apple = Bigger, Better, Company = Bigger Lawyers, Bigger Guns

G) past track record - They have used Puma (like the athletic company), Jag, Like the car, Panther, like the NFL team...

h) They knew about the name for months, and knew the packaging scheme for at least 5 weeks (courticy of Amazon) before filing suit, which makes it look like a timed attack on apple, not a self protection menuvor

I) This horse is out of the stable, all Apple has to do is stall any preliminary hearing till Monday and BAMO - too late to do anything eccept at worst a meager fine and maybe a retouch of the packeging - no real biggie, just hang onto your first run tiger stuff - it may be one of those Apple relics (if you get into that stuff)
post #52 of 98
The sad part is, this is actually the second time Apple has been sued for the name of their OS. They were also sued for "OS9" because someone made a 50 thousand dollar software called 9.
post #53 of 98
Quote:
Originally posted by the cool gut
The sad part is, this is actually the second time Apple has been sued for the name of their OS. They were also sued for "OS9" because someone made a 50 thousand dollar software called 9.

What about Mac/os 2 and IBM OS/2? any law suits there or were people senceable back then?
post #54 of 98
Well, it was called System 2 then, not Mac OS 2

Apple has used at least three Mac OS naming schemes:

"System 6" (sixth version)

"Mac OS 8" (eighth version.. only 8 and 9 used this scheme)

"Mac OS X 10.4" (fourteenth version... I guess Apple wants to keep the X logo!)
post #55 of 98
Quote:
Originally posted by schmidm77
In other news... Microsoft Corps. was handed a lawsuit by the University of Texas alleging that the Windows maker was illegally using its trademark of the word "longhorn."

I have to deal with the f**kers at Collegiate Licensing over at UT. I would not put this past them AT. ALL.

Do what you will, but harm none.

Do what you will, but harm none.

post #56 of 98
Interesting that Tigerdirect is based in Florida. My mother has worked in the medical malpractice insurance business for 15 years (the company insures doctors for malpractice, and defends them in court). Besides endless stories of frivolous lawsuits that are sickly funny - such as the woman who had a miscarriage, put the remains in a jar with vodka to preserve them, and then several years later sued her gynecologist for the miscarriage - she knows some interesting stats for lawsuits.

The insurance company she works for considers Florida the absolute worst state for frivolous malpractice lawsuits, due to the laws and the residents. The state is so bad that this insurance company is pulling out, they are refusing to insure Florida doctors for malpractice!

I don't know if this has any connection to the Tigerdirect lawsuit, but I found it interesting nevertheless. America really is a nation of greedy, stupid warmongers. I hope we get what we deserve, and soon. I'll be moving to New Zealand so I won't have to give a fuck.
post #57 of 98
these lame ass butt-pirates don't have one peg of a leg to stand on. gimme a friggin break. I googled tiger and Tiger direct was like number 2 on the list , apple was 4. Confused my left gonad.
"An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."
"Those who would give up essential liberties to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither." -Ben Franklin
"An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."
"Those who would give up essential liberties to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither." -Ben Franklin
post #58 of 98
Quote:
Originally posted by nagromme
FYI, someone at MacRumors.com forums, claiming inside info, has some details to share that put Tiger Direct in a (slightly) better light. I can't vouch for them, but FWIW... here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...&postcount=100

Here's the referenced "scoop":

Quote:
Cause I got a source...

True, Apple has the trademark from 2004, but Tigerdirect fought them back then, and forced a couple of specific exceptions. They are now suing over the fact that Apple has breached those original agreements.

Tigerdirect is not looking for a cash settlement, and they are not going to delay the release of Tiger. All they are looking for is Apple to change further packaging, and the branding on the Apple Store website. The original agreement stated - the word "tiger" when used only in reference to OSX 10.4 Tiger, should never be larger than 1/3 the font size of the "X" in OSX.

There will be a ruling on tuesday from the judge's bench.

Check out systemax's web site for the documents... (systemax is tigerdirect's parent company)

I hope Apple wins anyway...

IMO this makes Tigerdirect look even more petty. Who gives a fuck what size "Tiger" is on the OS X box? I hope Steve did this on purpose, because that is some butt-stupid reasoning on Tigerdirect's part.

I call "Ocelot"! Nobody else may have "Ocelot" for themselves, I shall trademark "Ocelot" and then sue Apple when they try to use it. No, I don't care about font, but I'll specify that Apple must use the color teal for "Ocelot" on all of their packaging. When Apple doesn't, I'll spring my diabolical trap and make millions! Millions! HA ha ha ha ha!
post #59 of 98
Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Smastard
The number and reasons for lawsuits in the USA is a bit of a joke to the rest of the world.

What I find most revealing about Americans is that they (we) mostly blame lawyers for all these lawsuits. Little blame is directed at the greedy fucks who hire the lawyers. It seems a bit like blaming the jet airliners for 911, and not even mentioning the terrorists!
post #60 of 98
Quote:
Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg
What I find most revealing about Americans is that they (we) mostly blame lawyers for all these lawsuits.

I think that has more to do with Lawyers actually writing the laws.
post #61 of 98
Quote:
Originally posted by AWILL
You know now that I think about it I don't remember hearing about the car manufacturer Jaguar filing a lawsuit. Maybe they can jump on the bandwagon with these idiots and claim confusion between an operating system and luxury sports car. I can see how people would be confused between the two. Sure it was 10.2, and that was years ago, but it is never to late to prove you are a moron. This is so stupid!

Besides haven't they already started shipping. The release of Tiger is going to happen whether they like it or not.

I thought trademarking only applied to things like logos and not names like this. I mean, tiger is a word, it's in the dictionary. How can one trademark that???

Plus, the company is called TigerDirect. It's one word. Apple is using the name Tiger in their OS, but it is called "Mac OS X Tiger", as is written on the box.

I for one see this lawsuit going nowhere.

This sort of money grabbing lawsuit ought to be thrown out of the courtroom. It is clearly extortion.

Bloody bunch of leeches...

Heh... The new punch line:

TigerDirect, we leech your money.
Killing me isn't going to help you. It isn't going to do me much good either, is it? -- The Doctor
Killing me isn't going to help you. It isn't going to do me much good either, is it? -- The Doctor
post #62 of 98
Quote:
The number and reasons for lawsuits in the USA is a bit of a joke to the rest of the world.

Tell me about it America is known as the litigation capital of the world by many. Australia's laws aren't the best, but at least they're not abused like this.

Quote:
I'm glad the Americans on this forum are laughing about this one

Me too. It's f***ing so pathetic it's f***ing funny.
post #63 of 98
Quote:
Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg
IMO this makes Tigerdirect look even more petty. Who gives a fuck what size "Tiger" is on the OS X box? I hope Steve did this on purpose, because that is some butt-stupid reasoning on Tigerdirect's part.

Licensers give a fuck. The size of typography is a huge part of licsensing. For example. If you license a musical, in the contract there is a specification for how large the author's names are relative to the title when you are printing a playbill.
post #64 of 98
Man I love us nutty clanish Mac types. Best company in the world and I'll stick by them, thick and thin, like I have been since as long as I can remember.

Thinking,
Nomad
post #65 of 98
Quote:

Lawyers don't write laws.

This is obviously a ridiculous, frivolous lawsuit. Nobody is going to confuse an operating system with an online store.
post #66 of 98
Quote:
Originally posted by TednDi
I say we call Tiger Direct and try to order OS X Tiger!!

then complain that they are using apple to lure customers!!

yeah, let's flood their email as well - although this might give them a case
post #67 of 98
Quote:
Originally posted by Merovingian
I thought trademarking only applied to things like logos and not names like this. I mean, tiger is a word, it's in the dictionary. How can one trademark that???

Ummm. The same way Apple can trademark their name?

A trademark is exactly that, a mark that is unique to the area of business a company trades under. Trademarks can be common words, but applied to specific areas.

So, Apple Computer has a trademark relating to the sale of computer hardware and software.

I suspect TigerDirect is just fishing for money and I suspect Apple will quietly fork some over in exchange for a settlement.
post #68 of 98
Quote:
Originally posted by a_greer
Well, so much for tiger direct as an apple reseller...

funny thing is they do sell ipods....

from HP

I fear Tiger direct has angered the legions of Mac Fans out there .

We may be only 3.6% of the market but we are loyal and irate!!!

post #69 of 98
tigerdirect has a beef with the tiger essentials and tiger center on apple's web store
which I could see apple dropping
post #70 of 98
In other news... cattle ranchers in texas are preparing to sue Microsoft over their next major OS release...
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
post #71 of 98
Quote:
Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself
In other news... cattle ranchers in texas are preparing to sue Microsoft over their next major OS release...

post #72 of 98
Wait, I'm confused. I just bought a new mac. I wanted to buy it from Tiger Direct, because of their fine reputation in something or another. But I ended up buying it from Apple, because I thought they had just merged with Tiger Direct. I mean, Apple has Tiger, and I heard you could order Tiger directly from Apple. So they're Tiger Direct??

Now, if only I could figure out how to get my gas from Apple..they bought Exxon, right? And Kelloggs?
post #73 of 98
Quote:
Originally posted by Louzer
Wait, I'm confused. I just bought a new mac. I wanted to buy it from Tiger Direct, because of their fine reputation in something or another. But I ended up buying it from Apple, because I thought they had just merged with Tiger Direct. I mean, Apple has Tiger, and I heard you could order Tiger directly from Apple. So they're Tiger Direct??

Now, if only I could figure out how to get my gas from Apple..they bought Exxon, right? And Kelloggs?

and Apple do golf too.
post #74 of 98
Quote:
Originally posted by nagromme

Supposedly the lawsuit is over Apple using a larger font for the word Tiger on their packaging, than they had previously promised to use.

No money or delay (hope it's true!) is being sought--just a change in future packaging.

Well, having read the lawsuit, they are asking for actual damages, and that Apple be injoined from further using the "tiger" mark.

Tiger Direct has the word "Tiger" Trademarked as it applies to mail-order.

This is a sham of a suit. It should be dismissed immediately.
post #75 of 98
Quote:
Originally posted by snoopy
Kellogg's Tony the Tiger better look out.

Or should he...

http://www.wptn.com/back00/tmrk_011_sep00.html

Nutso!
post #76 of 98
In other news.. fruit growers in florida began contacting their lawyers regrading the branding of a certain product line called 'Macintosh'.

Car dealerships across America are also bringing a class action suit for the use of Jaguar.

And the ex-civil rights group is sueing about the use of Panther.

All in all, a bad week at Apple Legal.

post #77 of 98
Quote:
Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself
In other news.. fruit growers in florida began contacting their lawyers regrading the branding of a certain product line called 'Macintosh'.

Ironically, the Mac was supposed to be called McIntosh but apple was sued by the audio gear company of the same name. They changed it from Mc to Mac to resolve the case. Glad they did - or we'd be using McOS X!
post #78 of 98
Quote:
Originally posted by Gmac
Ironically, the Mac was supposed to be called McIntosh but apple was sued by the audio gear company of the same name. They changed it from Mc to Mac to resolve the case. Glad they did - or we'd be using McOS X!

So that is why there are no McJobs in the computer industry...(ducks)
post #79 of 98
Hum...

When I use the dictionary, it says Macintosh is the variant spelling of a full-length waterproof coat. I'm so stupid that I never even realized that the McIntosh fruit wasn't spelled Macintosh.
*Powerbook G4 12" - 1.5 GHZ
*iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ (Mid 2007), *Apple 20-inch Cinema Display (Aluminium)
*iPhone 4S, Airport Extreme (2011) *MacBook Air 11-inch (Late 2010)
*Powerbook G4 12" - 1.5 GHZ
*iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ (Mid 2007), *Apple 20-inch Cinema Display (Aluminium)
*iPhone 4S, Airport Extreme (2011) *MacBook Air 11-inch (Late 2010)
post #80 of 98
Quote:

But laws aren't the reason for all the lawsuits in America. The laws exist to permit lawsuits to take place in cases where damage really did occur. Its the people who exploit well-intentioned laws for their own personal gain that are the problem (and the lawyers who muckrake for such cases).
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple sued over "Tiger," requested injunction could prevent launch