or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Annoying Things in Tiger
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Annoying Things in Tiger

post #1 of 91
Thread Starter 
Okay, most of us have had a couple of days to play with Tiger. What are some of your pet peeves? Overall, Tiger is fantastic, but there are a few things that are driving me crazy:

1) In list views (particularly mail) after you have selected multiple items, if you click and hold (to drag the selected items), you MUST move to the left or right. If you move up or down, it reverts to changing your selection. This bugs me.

2) "mds" -- This process is used by spotlight, I believe to update the index (though not mdimport). This seems to run a couple of times a day on my machine (after the initial 3-4 hour indexing which is to be expected) taking up to 80% of the CPU.

3) H.264 -- Actually, it is great; however, my machine is over 3 years old (TiBook 667) and watching anything in this codec brings the machine to its knees. I have to put it at the smallest possible size (think postage-stamp sized QuickTime 1).

4) Safari -- I used to simply type "cnn" (or any domain) into the address bar and safari would automatically go to www.cnn.com (or www.whatever.com). Now, it just spins and spins until I give up, go back and type it all out like a monkey.
post #2 of 91
Quote:
Originally posted by atomicham
4) Safari -- I used to simply type "cnn" (or any domain) into the address bar and safari would automatically go to www.cnn.com (or www.whatever.com). Now, it just spins and spins until I give up, go back and type it all out like a monkey.

i live by that. i hope that's just a bug and they fix it. soon. before i get tiger...
post #3 of 91
On Safari on my iMac G5 (running Tiger, of course), 'cnn' does indeed go straight to cnn.com.
post #4 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Maffrew
On Safari on my iMac G5 (running Tiger, of course), 'cnn' does indeed go straight to cnn.com.

Hmmm, for some reason mine won't. I just blew away my preferences, re-launched, and it still won't.

If I type 'ebay', it becomes:

Code:

http://ebay/



and Safari just spins until it finally gives up and says it can't find it.

Strange.
post #5 of 91
That's very strange. I tried ebay too, and 'ebay' becomes http://www.ebay.com for me, loads fine.

Seems to work for anything too. 'moviepoopshoot' becomes http://www.moviepoopshoot.com, 'appleinsider' becomes http://www.appleinsider.com.

Very handy. Bit baffled as to why yours isn't working though.
post #6 of 91
well, maybe now it's doing what firefox et al. have done: basically, if you enter just "cnn," it doesn't assume you want cnn.com, and instead does an automatic google "i'm feeling lucky" search and returns the top link. great IF that's what you want...

internet explorer on pc has broken that .com convention for a long time now, and netscape did it for a while using their ultra-sluggish netscape search results page by default. you could change it back via their preferences, but it was a bear to find, even for an experienced user. so blame the browser wars for that debacle (alogn with myriad more). i'm not sure if it's a "better" way to do things, but at least .net's, .org's and the like now have a fighting shot against the oversaturated .com craze.

but in the end, maybe it's just a bug. if so, ignore my pontification.
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
post #7 of 91
Quote:
Originally posted by atomicham
4) Safari -- I used to simply type "cnn" (or any domain) into the address bar and safari would automatically go to www.cnn.com (or www.whatever.com). Now, it just spins and spins until I give up, go back and type it all out like a monkey.

That should be your ISPs DNS servers at work. Same as www usually takes you to their homepage.
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
Reply
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
Reply
post #8 of 91
Quote:
In list views (particularly mail) after you have selected multiple items, if you click and hold (to drag the selected items), you MUST move to the left or right. If you move up or down, it reverts to changing your selection. This bugs me.

That is flipping ANNOYING. I was HOPING that was a bug introduced and never fixed in Panther's Finder, but I see now that is an intentional "feature." I don't know if anyone else has noticed this...in Panther Finder, selecting things in List then dragging won't move, it will keep selecting, so it is sort of like that. I wonder if it's still like that in Tiger. Hopefully I'll have Tiger soon. Hopefully it's not like that or they will change it.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
post #9 of 91
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquatic
That is flipping ANNOYING. I was HOPING that was a bug introduced and never fixed in Panther's Finder, but I see now that is an intentional "feature." I don't know if anyone else has noticed this...in Panther Finder, selecting things in List then dragging won't move, it will keep selecting, so it is sort of like that. I wonder if it's still like that in Tiger. Hopefully I'll have Tiger soon. Hopefully it's not like that or they will change it.

this was annoying to me to, but over time i've developed a quick swoop to the right and then up or down to move items. it's not really an issue any more.
post #10 of 91
Quote:
Originally posted by atomicham
Hmmm, for some reason mine won't. I just blew away my preferences, re-launched, and it still won't.

If I type 'ebay', it becomes:

Code:

http://ebay/



and Safari just spins until it finally gives up and says it can't find it.

Strange.

Your problem is local. I am not a particular fan of URL autocompletion, but it seems to work OK in this case.
post #11 of 91
Quote:
Originally posted by atomicham
Okay, most of us have had a couple of days to play with Tiger. What are some of your pet peeves? Overall, Tiger is fantastic, but there are a few things that are driving me crazy:

1) In list views (particularly mail) after you have selected multiple items, if you click and hold (to drag the selected items), you MUST move to the left or right. If you move up or down, it reverts to changing your selection. This bugs me.

2) "mds" -- This process is used by spotlight, I believe to update the index (though not mdimport). This seems to run a couple of times a day on my machine (after the initial 3-4 hour indexing which is to be expected) taking up to 80% of the CPU.

3) H.264 -- Actually, it is great; however, my machine is over 3 years old (TiBook 667) and watching anything in this codec brings the machine to its knees. I have to put it at the smallest possible size (think postage-stamp sized QuickTime 1).

4) Safari -- I used to simply type "cnn" (or any domain) into the address bar and safari would automatically go to www.cnn.com (or www.whatever.com). Now, it just spins and spins until I give up, go back and type it all out like a monkey.

1. This is true, butlike osmeone else said, I just do a quick right-left first.

2. Not sure what you are talking about. I have not expierenced anything like this.

3. Wow, now thats strange. I have an iBook G4 1.2GHz 768MB RAM, and watched the Batman Begins trailer at full screen with (14", 1024), and whatever the height was. Fullscreen was 1280, so it went off the edge of my screen. It was crystal clear and ran great at full screen widge. I even had an installation for some program going. Must just be the 667, but didn't think it would make that big of difference unless you were encoding.

4. yep, just you. Works great hear.

Just wondering-what kind of installation did you do? I did a clean install, so i had my HDD totally wiped and reformated before I installed. If you did an Upgrade, it might be an issue with this.
post #12 of 91
rok:

Quote:
well, maybe now it's doing what firefox et al. have done: basically, if you enter just "cnn," it doesn't assume you want cnn.com, and instead does an automatic google "i'm feeling lucky" search and returns the top link. great IF that's what you want...

typing 'cnn' in Firefox leads to www.cnn.com without any other action. I don't know where you got that automatic Google thing, but it's not correct.
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
Reply
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
Reply
post #13 of 91
Quote:
Originally posted by ipodandimac
i live by that. i hope that's just a bug and they fix it. soon. before i get tiger...

Well lets think about this:

Spinning in Safari on this strikes me as an issue with Safari waiting for you to either cite an rss feed or a regular web page.
post #14 of 91
1. I don't know what you mean about the list view quirk. I tried selecting multiple emails and dragged them and it behaved as expected.


Here's a new one to add to your list...
In the Finder when you hover the cursor over a column to resize it, the cursor doesn't change until you click. Try to change a column size in Mail and you'll see the cursor changes when you hover over it.
post #15 of 91
My Safari crashes when I close a window or tab

Other than that, it's perfect.
15" MacBook C2D 2.33Ghz, ATI 1600 258MB, 120GB HD 5400, 2GB RAM, SuperDrive

17" iMac G5
Reply
15" MacBook C2D 2.33Ghz, ATI 1600 258MB, 120GB HD 5400, 2GB RAM, SuperDrive

17" iMac G5
Reply
post #16 of 91
Here's another: the Yellow Pages widget doesn't work with non-American addresses.
post #17 of 91
Quote:
Originally posted by atomicham
3) H.264 -- Actually, it is great; however, my machine is over 3 years old (TiBook 667) and watching anything in this codec brings the machine to its knees. I have to put it at the smallest possible size (think postage-stamp sized QuickTime 1).

Same machine with 764 mb of ram-- h.264 content *looks* fabulous but I can never get it to play without massive frame skipping.
post #18 of 91
Quote:
Originally posted by jabohn
Here's another: the Yellow Pages widget doesn't work with non-American addresses.

The weather widget also appears to be US only.
That really sucks, since it advertises its use of Accuweather, which does pretty much the whole world.

----------

Folders in the dock now accept drag and drop, but ARENT spring loaded. I mean, just how hard is it for Apple to go the extra step.

----------

Lots of apps are using the new toolbar layout, but only for their main window. As soon as you open up some sub windows you'll find that they tend to revert to the old style toolbar. Where is the QA team ???
post #19 of 91
just 'bsodmike', 'cnn' and 'google' all work fine here, i.e. it resolves to www.whatever.com

strange!

Ahh yes, try this go to prefs, network. Under your interface add for DNS:

4.2.2.1
4.2.2.2

See if that helps it

Mike
post #20 of 91
Am using the weather widget in the UK with no problems, typed in Middlesbrough and hit enter and it searched and came up with 'Middlesbrough, United Kingdom' Flipped the widget and all is well, I did notice though that if I didn't hit enter then it didn't change.

Hope this helps

Dan
post #21 of 91
Ya I had the same problem. If I had 'leeds' it gave wrong info. Need to hit enter for it to verify...lol
post #22 of 91
Quote:
Originally posted by Maffrew
On Safari on my iMac G5 (running Tiger, of course), 'cnn' does indeed go straight to cnn.com.

mine does too.

Quote:
1) In list views (particularly mail) after you have selected multiple items, if you click and hold (to drag the selected items), you MUST move to the left or right. If you move up or down, it reverts to changing your selection. This bugs me.

I hadn't noticed that list thing before. The reason it does that is because you can select by dragging. But yes it is annoying, maybe a longer click should allow you to move?

BUT Tiger is fast, safari scrolling is fast, brilliant.
post #23 of 91
I don't like the Google search bar in my safari. I usually remove it, but they stitched it completely onto the address bar, you can't remove one without removing the other with it.
The bored one.
Reply
The bored one.
Reply
post #24 of 91
what's so bad about the google search bar? At least you can resize it (could in panther...)
post #25 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by bsodmike
just 'bsodmike', 'cnn' and 'google' all work fine here, i.e. it resolves to www.whatever.com

strange!

Ahh yes, try this go to prefs, network. Under your interface add for DNS:

4.2.2.1
4.2.2.2

See if that helps it

Mike


Well, it appears to be a function of my cable modem DNS server or my wireless router. At work with my TiBook, it works fine.

If I enter 'plastic' it goes to www.plastic.com.

Something is screwy with the DNS service of my cable modem because last night, I entered 'plastic' and it took me to an adult webhosting service...

I'll try your DNS change when I am home again.
post #26 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnJ
Same machine with 764 mb of ram-- h.264 content *looks* fabulous but I can never get it to play without massive frame skipping.

I have 1GB of RAM, but, anything that is very large skips terribly and brings the machine to a halt (the dock won't even magnify).

As you said, the video frames themselves are stunningly gorgeous.
post #27 of 91
Quote:
Originally posted by Gene Clean
typing 'cnn' in Firefox leads to www.cnn.com without any other action. I don't know where you got that automatic Google thing, but it's not correct.

Yes it is. CNN.com is obviously the first search result returned by Google when typing "cnn" into their search field, which is why it seems transparent to you. But type in a different term like "folklore" and see what happens: do you get directed to folklore.com or another site?

BTW, this is documented by the Mozilla Foundation on the Firefox support site:

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/tips#beh_search

8)
This username is deprecated. Upgrade to andreslucero.
Reply
This username is deprecated. Upgrade to andreslucero.
Reply
post #28 of 91
No Cisco or Checkpoint VPN usage!! Aaargh!
post #29 of 91
Quote:
Originally posted by GreggWSmith
No Cisco or Checkpoint VPN usage!! Aaargh!

Cisco stated people in need of VPN should delay upgrading and there would be an upgrade shortly. Can't really blame Apple for that.
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
Reply
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
Reply
post #30 of 91
Quote:
Originally posted by geekdreams
Yes it is. CNN.com is obviously the first search result returned by Google when typing "cnn" into their search field, which is why it seems transparent to you. But type in a different term like "folklore" and see what happens: do you get directed to folklore.com or another site?

BTW, this is documented by the Mozilla Foundation on the Firefox support site:

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/tips#beh_search

8)

I stand corrected.
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
Reply
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
Reply
post #31 of 91
Quote:
Originally posted by Telomar
Cisco stated people in need of VPN should delay upgrading and there would be an upgrade shortly. Can't really blame Apple for that.

I never indicated blame for it, just that no VPN's work with Tiger. I guess both parties should have considered it.
post #32 of 91
Quote:
Originally posted by mmmpie
The weather widget also appears to be US only.
That really sucks, since it advertises its use of Accuweather, which does pretty much the whole world.

Works for me in Canada.
post #33 of 91
I was able to add cities from other countries as well.
This username is deprecated. Upgrade to andreslucero.
Reply
This username is deprecated. Upgrade to andreslucero.
Reply
post #34 of 91
I think h.264 looks great. But does anybody else think the picture is a little dark.
post #35 of 91
Please read my other thread.
Tiger is calling home all the time and I hate that.
post #36 of 91
I just found that you can't add your own alert sounds. I always liked adding Homer Simpson's "D'Oh", and now I can't add it to the list of alert sounds. Very annoying!!
Joecool only answers the phone when he knows it's for him...
Reply
Joecool only answers the phone when he knows it's for him...
Reply
post #37 of 91
Quote:
Originally posted by Joecool
I just found that you can't add your own alert sounds. I always liked adding Homer Simpson's "D'Oh", and now I can't add it to the list of alert sounds. Very annoying!!

can't you do it manually: Macintosh HD>System>Library>Sounds
post #38 of 91
Quote:
Originally posted by football751
3. Wow, now thats strange. I have an iBook G4 1.2GHz 768MB RAM, and watched the Batman Begins trailer at full screen with (14", 1024), and whatever the height was. Fullscreen was 1280, so it went off the edge of my screen. It was crystal clear and ran great at full screen widge. I even had an installation for some program going. Must just be the 667, but didn't think it would make that big of difference unless you were encoding.

I call B.S. It certainly doesn't play well on my PBG4 1.5, nor a single processor 1.8 G5. Apple claims that a dual 2.0 is needed for proper playback.
post #39 of 91
OK, I've been put in my place!!!

Thanks!
Joecool only answers the phone when he knows it's for him...
Reply
Joecool only answers the phone when he knows it's for him...
Reply
post #40 of 91
Quote:
Originally posted by wilco
I call B.S. It certainly doesn't play well on my PBG4 1.5, nor a single processor 1.8 G5. Apple claims that a dual 2.0 is needed for proper playback.

It played well on my PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz, 128 MB GPU and 1GB RAM in full-screen and in the window - with things going on in the background - although sometimes the sound seemed a little skewed with the video. HD looks good - now i need an HD monitor.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Annoying Things in Tiger