or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Annoying Things in Tiger

Annoying Things in Tiger - Page 3

post #81 of 91
Quote:
Originally posted by Carson O'Genic
Thanks, I got it working now. I never thought to control-click on the safari window with the PDF file. It gives the option to open in Acrobat (funny it doesn't offer Preview as an option). Before, I was going for the Save as menu item, which didn't help.

Tiger is a good kitty again

That's good - i was actually referring to the link but yeah that should be expected - like an image. Since I repaired the Adobe plug-in I can't see what you can anymore - I've got the acrobat controls. I had avoided doing the repair in the past but I prefer Acrobat to Preview.
post #82 of 91
Ok another annoying thing - I want to search in a particular folder - in Panther you just used the Finder's drop down search and selected selection but in Tiger this isn't there. I know Spotlight is fast but if you have hundreds of results and just want one folder this was very fast. Is the only way in Tiger to add a specific location - it's such a drag.
post #83 of 91
Quote:
Originally posted by MacCrazy
Ok another annoying thing - I want to search in a particular folder - in Panther you just used the Finder's drop down search and selected selection but in Tiger this isn't there. I know Spotlight is fast but if you have hundreds of results and just want one folder this was very fast. Is the only way in Tiger to add a specific location - it's such a drag.

Hit command F and then select others and you can choose to search any location or folder you like - easy to over look

EDIT: oops this doesnt really answer your question, but if you are already in a folder and hit comd F it (at least on my Mac) defaults to that folder. Same with using the search box on the finder window.
post #84 of 91
Quote:
Originally posted by FreeState
Hit command F and then select others and you can choose to search any location or folder you like - easy to over look

EDIT: oops this doesnt really answer your question, but if you are already in a folder and hit comd F it (at least on my Mac) defaults to that folder. Same with using the search box on the finder window.

On mine it does a search of the entire system.
post #85 of 91
Quote:

Do a Command-F in the Finder and navigate to the folder you wish to search via the sidebar, and then enter your request into the search window. Your chosen folder will appear in the menu bar as one of the choices and the search will be done.
post #86 of 91
Quote:
Originally posted by Volox
Do a Command-F in the Finder and navigate to the folder you wish to search via the sidebar, and then enter your request into the search window. Your chosen folder will appear in the menu bar as one of the choices and the search will be done.

nope - not on mine
post #87 of 91
Quote:
nope - not on mine

Can you give a click-by-click description of what you're doing (you are on 10.4.1 aren't you?)?

I open Finder, Apple-F and get the "New Search" window, click on a folder in the sidebar or navigate deeper into it - then I enter search details and everything that comes up is from that folder.

My default view is Open new windows in Column view.
post #88 of 91
Quote:
Originally posted by Volox
Can you give a click-by-click description of what you're doing (you are on 10.4.1 aren't you?)?

I open Finder, Apple-F and get the "New Search" window, click on a folder in the sidebar or navigate deeper into it - then I enter search details and everything that comes up is from that folder.

My default view is Open new windows in Column view.

it wasn't doing that - i turned off always open folders in new windows then did what you said and the option was there at the top. I selected it and now whenever I search it searches in that folder by default! It even does it without having to select Command F first. It does this with both that option on and off. WEIRD!
post #89 of 91
Quote:
nope - not on mine

You need to select a folder icon in the finder to have it automatically appear as a search option when using Command-F. Another method is when using the finder window's toolbar search field, it'll automatically show the folder your in, not the one selected as a search option. It may not default to being selected since that's determined by how you've last used the search but you should see the folder on the search options bar.
post #90 of 91
Found YET ANOTHER annoying thing...

This time it's Safari.
Command-click/right-click on any link and choose to open the link in a new window.
Go SAFARI>HIDE SAFARI. Then click on Safari in the dock.
Safari will come forward but the window you just opened before will jump behind the window you opened the link from.
Worse, if the originating window has multiple tabs, Safari seems to randomly pick which tab to activate.

I've tried this over and over and on a different mac too... it does it every time.
post #91 of 91
Quote:
Originally posted by jabohn
Command-click/right-click on any link and choose to open the link in a new window.
Go SAFARI>HIDE SAFARI. Then click on Safari in the dock.
Safari will come forward but the window you just opened before will jump behind the window you opened the link from.

Interesting... I had not noticed this behavior. I just tried it and sure enough, it happens just as you state here. It would be nice if it brought forward the same window that you had up before it was hidden.

Actually, I see now what it is doing. It is bringing the window that was originally launched to the front. If I have multiple Safari windows open, minimize them all, and then click on tthe Safari icon, it brings up the original window that was launched when I first opened Safari.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Annoying Things in Tiger