or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple introduces second generation iMac G5 systems

Apple introduces second generation iMac G5 systems

post #1 of 186
CUPERTINO, Calif., May 3 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Apple(R) today unveiled a new iMac(R) G5 line with faster 2.0 GHz PowerPC G5 processors, built-in AirPort(R) Extreme and Bluetooth wireless connectivity and Mac OS(R) X version 10.4 "Tiger," the latest version of the world's most advanced operating system. The new iMac G5s also include faster graphics, a new 8X SuperDrive(R) with double-layer support, built-in Gigabit Ethernet for faster networking, and 512MB of memory across the line. Every new iMac G5 comes with iLife(R) '05, Apple's award-winning suite of digital lifestyle applications, making it the ultimate consumer desktop for today's digital lifestyle.

"Reviewers have called the iMac G5 'the most elegant desktop computer in the world' and now it's getting even better," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "With a faster processor, built-in wireless networking, Tiger and iLife '05, the new iMac G5 offers the best consumer desktop computing experience in the world."

The iMac G5 makes the ultimate statement in design simplicity with the entire computer, including the power supply and slot-load optical drive, built right into a two-inch thin display. The new iMac G5 offers gorgeous widescreen displays including a 20-inch model with 1680-by-1050 pixel resolution or a 17-inch model with 1440-by-900 pixel resolution. With built-in AirPort Extreme 802.11g and Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) wireless modules, it's even easier to reduce cable clutter with the optional Apple Wireless Keyboard and Apple Wireless Mouse.

Featuring the breakthrough performance of the PowerPC G5 processor and offering up to a 667 MHz front-side bus, the new iMac G5s include 400 MHz DDR memory expandable to 2GB and storage capacity up to 400GB. All new iMac G5s offer the ATI Radeon 9600 graphics processor with 128MB of dedicated video memory to deliver high-performance graphics and effects for next-generation games and provide ultra-fast, pixel-accurate image processing when combined with the graphics capabilities of Tiger.

Offering the latest high-performance I/O, the new iMac G5s include built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet for high-speed networking, built-in AirPort Extreme for fast 54Mbps wireless networking*, built-in Bluetooth, a total of five USB ports (three USB 2.0) and two FireWire(R) 400 ports for easy plug-and-play connections to popular peripherals such as Apple's market-leading iPod(R) digital music player, digital video camcorders, digital still cameras and printers.

Every new iMac G5 includes Tiger, the fifth major release in four years of the world's most advanced operating system. Tiger delivers more than 200 new features and innovations including Spotlight(TM), a revolutionary desktop search technology that lets users instantly find anything stored on their Mac(R), including documents, emails, contacts and images; and Dashboard, a new way to instantly access important information like weather forecasts and stock quotes, using a dazzling new class of applications called widgets.

The new iMac G5 includes iLife '05, Apple's award-winning suite of digital lifestyle applications featuring iPhoto(R), iMovie(R), iDVD(R), GarageBand(R) and iTunes(R), the world's number one online music store. iLife '05 continues to lead the industry with the most innovative and comprehensive suite of software for organizing, editing and sharing digital photos; creating stunning digital movies and DVDs; and purchasing, managing and creating digital music.

A collection of productivity and entertainment titles is included with every iMac G5, including AppleWorks, Quicken 2005 for Macintosh(R), 2005 World Book Multimedia Reference Suite, Nanosaur 2 and Marble Blast Gold.

Pricing & Availability

The new iMac G5 line is available immediately through the Apple Store(R) (www.apple.com), at Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers.

The new iMac G5, for a suggested retail price of $1,299 (US), includes:

-- 17-inch widescreen LCD with 1440-by-900 pixels;
-- 1.8 GHz 64-bit PowerPC G5 processor;
-- 512MB of 400 MHz DDR SDRAM;
-- 24X Combo (DVD-ROM/CD-RW) optical drive;
-- ATI Radeon 9600 graphics processor with 128MB video memory;
-- Built-in AirPort Extreme wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.0 +EDR;
-- 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet networking, 56K V.92 Modem;
-- 160GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 7200 rpm;
-- Two FireWire 400, three USB 2.0, two USB 1.1 ports; and
-- Built-in stereo speakers and microphone.

The new iMac G5, for a suggested retail price of $1,499 (US), includes:
-- 17-inch widescreen LCD with 1440-by-900 pixels;
-- 2.0 GHz 64-bit PowerPC G5 processor;
-- 8X SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD+/-RW/CD-RW) optical drive;
-- 160GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 7200 rpm;

The new iMac G5, for a suggested retail price of $1,799 (US), includes:
-- 20-inch widescreen LCD with 1680-by-1050 pixels;
-- 2.0 GHz 64-bit PowerPC G5 processor;
-- 8X SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD+/-RW/CD-RW) optical drive;
-- 250GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 7200 rpm;

Build-to-order options and accessories include up to 2GB of RAM, 250GB and 400GB hard drives, AirPort Express(TM) and AirPort Extreme Base Station, Apple Wireless Keyboard and Apple Wireless Mouse and the AppleCare Protection Plan.

The new iMac G5 line is also available to education customers in the US and Canada through the Apple Store for Education at www.apple.com/education/store or by calling an Apple education sales representative at 800-800-APPL.

*Actual speed will vary based on range from the base station, environmental conditions and other factors.

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Today, Apple continues to lead the industry in innovation with its award-winning desktop and notebook computers, OS X operating system, and iLife and professional applications. Apple is also spearheading the digital music revolution with its iPod portable music players and iTunes online music store.
post #2 of 186
I hoper they are less noisy.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #3 of 186
Apple today unveiled a new iMac G5 line with faster 2.0 GHz PowerPC G5 processors, built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth wireless connectivity and Mac OS X version 10.4 "Tiger."

The new iMac G5s also include faster graphics, a new 8X SuperDrive with double-layer support, built-in Gigabit Ethernet for faster networking, and 512MB of memory across the line. Every new iMac G5 comes with iLife '05, Apple's suite of digital lifestyle applications.

"Reviewers have called the iMac G5 'the most elegant desktop computer in the world' and now it's getting even better," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "With a faster processor, built-in wireless networking, Tiger and iLife '05, the new iMac G5 offers the best consumer desktop computing experience in the world."

The iMac G5 makes a statement in design simplicity with the entire computer, including the power supply and slot-load optical drive, built right into a two-inch thin display. The new iMac G5 offers widescreen displays including a 20-inch model with 1680-by-1050 pixel resolution or a 17-inch model with 1440-by-900 pixel resolution. With built-in AirPort Extreme 802.11g and Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) wireless modules, it's easier to reduce cable clutter with the optional Apple Wireless Keyboard and Apple Wireless Mouse.

Featuring the performance of the PowerPC G5 processor and offering up to a 667 MHz front-side bus, the new iMac G5s include 400 MHz DDR memory expandable to 2GB and storage capacity up to 400GB. All new iMac G5s offer the ATI Radeon 9600 graphics processor with 128MB of dedicated video memory to deliver high-performance graphics and effects for next-generation games and provide ultra-fast, pixel-accurate image processing when combined with the graphics capabilities of Tiger.

Offering the latest high-performance I/O, the new iMac G5s include built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet for high-speed networking, built-in AirPort Extreme for fast 54Mbps wireless networking, built-in Bluetooth, a total of five USB ports (three USB 2.0) and two FireWire 400 ports for easy plug-and-play connections to popular peripherals.

Every new iMac G5 includes Tiger, the fifth major release in four years of the world's most advanced operating system. Tiger delivers more than 200 new features and innovations including Spotlight(TM), a revolutionary desktop search technology that lets users instantly find anything stored on their Mac®, including documents, emails, contacts and images; and Dashboard, a new way to instantly access important information like weather forecasts and stock quotes, using a dazzling new class of applications called widgets.

The new iMac G5 includes iLife '05, Apple''s suite of digital lifestyle applications featuring iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, GarageBand and iTunes, the world's number one online music store. iLife '05 continues to lead the industry with the most innovative and comprehensive suite of software for organizing, editing and sharing digital photos; creating stunning digital movies and DVDs; and purchasing, managing and creating digital music.

A collection of productivity and entertainment titles is included with every iMac G5, including AppleWorks, Quicken 2005 for Macintosh, 2005 World Book Multimedia Reference Suite, Nanosaur 2 and Marble Blast Gold.

Pricing & Availability

The new iMac G5 line is available immediately through the Apple Store, at Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers.

The new iMac G5, for a suggested retail price of $1,299 (US), includes:
17-inch widescreen LCD with 1440-by-900 pixels;
1.8 GHz 64-bit PowerPC G5 processor;
512MB of 400 MHz DDR SDRAM;
24X Combo (DVD-ROM/CD-RW) optical drive;
ATI Radeon 9600 graphics processor with 128MB video memory;
Built-in AirPort Extreme wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.0 +EDR;
10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet networking, 56K V.92 Modem;
160GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 7200 rpm;
Two FireWire 400, three USB 2.0, two USB 1.1 ports; and
Built-in stereo speakers and microphone.

The new iMac G5, for a suggested retail price of $1,499 (US), includes:
17-inch widescreen LCD with 1440-by-900 pixels;
2.0 GHz 64-bit PowerPC G5 processor;
8X SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD+/-RW/CD-RW) optical drive;
160GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 7200 rpm;

The new iMac G5, for a suggested retail price of $1,799 (US), includes:
20-inch widescreen LCD with 1680-by-1050 pixels;
2.0 GHz 64-bit PowerPC G5 processor;
8X SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD+/-RW/CD-RW) optical drive;
250GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 7200 rpm;

Build-to-order options and accessories include up to 2GB of RAM, 250GB and 400GB hard drives, AirPort Express and AirPort Extreme Base Station, Apple Wireless Keyboard and Apple Wireless Mouse and the AppleCare Protection Plan.

The new iMac G5 line is also available to education customers in the US and Canada through the Apple Store for Education.
post #4 of 186
Radeon 9600 128mb ...
And there was much rejoicing.
post #5 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by JLL
I hoper they are less noisy.

Noisy? The 17" I bought for my mother is almost completely silent.
post #6 of 186
I think we can expect a new Powermac model on the high-end now at WWDC.. at least it has a little more credibility, now that the low-end model is shit compared with iMac's
post #7 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by dfiler
Radeon 9600 128mb ...

And on all models! Good for you, Apple.
post #8 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by Tuttle
Noisy? The 17" I bought for my mother is almost completely silent.

We have 22 17" iMacs and they all have a fan with an irritating whiny noise.
JLL

JLL

post #9 of 186
Wait a minute - do these actually have AirPort and Bluetooth STANDARD?!
post #10 of 186
Yes!

They have to be standard when Apple releases iHome in June :P
post #11 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by webavatar
I think we can expect a new Powermac model on the high-end now at WWDC.. at least it has a little more credibility, now that the low-end model is shit compared with iMac's

phenomenal is what i can say. f8ck me. 512mb standard, airport extreme + bluetooth 2.0 built in, tiger, ilife, DOUBLE LAYER dvd-burner, ati 9600 128mb ram standard, apple NOW WE'RE TALKING. THIS IS WHAT WE LIKE TO SEE

yes, hopefully the fixed (a) fan noise issues and (b) 7200rpm hard drive performance issues (xbench rates it as low as an iBook hard disk in some cases)

PowerMac (edit:affordability and value) looks shite compared to this. It looks like Apple is making iMac g5 and iBook (updates/price cuts next few weeks hopefully) the core SWITCHER/ HALO EFFECT hooks (the iPods being the bait of course). OS X Tiger is the line and iLife the sinker. bait, hook, line and sinker. awesome. now apple just has to reel 'em in... !! YEAH
post #12 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by BrunoBruin
Wait a minute - do these actually have AirPort and Bluetooth STANDARD?!

you got it my friend
post #13 of 186
I just priced out a 20-inch model and all the stuff I would have added (AP, BT, 250GB HDD, 512MB on one stick) is now standard! This amounts to about a $300 price cut for me! I am SO getting one of these.
post #14 of 186
What about the voltage? Is it still only 120V for the US, universal auto-switching everywhere else?

MBP 17" (early 2011) • iMac 24" (mid-2007) • iBook G3 (early 2001)

MBP 17" (early 2011) • iMac 24" (mid-2007) • iBook G3 (early 2001)

post #15 of 186
The eMacs have been updated too! 1.42GHz, 64MB 9600!
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
post #16 of 186
Quote:
I just priced out a 20-inch model and all the stuff I would have added (AP, BT, 250GB HDD, 512MB on one stick) is now standard! This amounts to about a $300 price cut for me! I am SO getting one of these.

it's excellent value mate... it's a G5 too. G5s have been so bloody maligned but don't forget a single G5 1.6ghz destroys a dual-G4 1.25ghz in some CPU-intensive operations (i have experienced this myself with Reason 2.5 pure software synthesis)... the ghz myth is over. 2005 sees a big shift in my-ghz-is-better-than-yours attitudes, hopefully.
post #17 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
it's excellent value mate... it's a G5 too. G5s have been so bloody maligned but don't forget a single G5 1.6ghz destroys a dual-G4 1.25ghz in some CPU-intensive operations (i have experienced this myself with Reason 2.5 pure software synthesis)...

Right, just look how the G4 and G5 perform in HD decoding .
post #18 of 186
This is a superb update BUT the graphics card still will not support an external monitor as well - this is a shame. But built-in bluetooth 2.0 and airport is about time - what about PowerMacs? And 512MB RAM is brilliant. This is a strong update even though the processor has only been bumped a small amount. Is there anything missing apart from dual monitor support (oh and HD-DVD!)?
post #19 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by MacCrazy
Is there anything missing apart from dual monitor support (oh and HD-DVD!)?

HD video is there, just not 1080p. For this one we have to wait for the dual processor 23" iMac .
post #20 of 186
Quote:
This is a superb update BUT the graphics card still will not support an external monitor as well - this is a shame. But built-in bluetooth 2.0 and airport is about time - what about PowerMacs? And 512MB RAM is brilliant. This is a strong update even though the processor has only been bumped a small amount. Is there anything missing apart from dual monitor support (oh and HD-DVD!)?

You can download a firmware update from somewhere that allows dual spanning. I've been using it on my current iMac G5 and it's been great.
post #21 of 186
Sadly I can't get an iMac G5 now but I'm definitely setting myself up for a RevC. Now I know i'll have Gigabit and built in wireless plus a 2.2 or greater G5 I'm thrilled.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #22 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by PB
HD video is there, just not 1080p. For this one we have to wait for the dual processor 23" iMac .

we also have to wait for actual 720p and 1080p content besides trailers
post #23 of 186
This is THE update I've been hoping and waiting for! When I get home tonight I'm ordering mine.
post #24 of 186
This is a terrible update. When will Apple give us a computer with memory that does not have to be updated immediately, a HD that is too small and a GPU that is not 2 years old?

I am going to go buy a Dell!

Sorry guys, but I had to do it. We love to complain about Apple but these iMacs rock. Great value and nice parts. TIme to replace my version 1 FP iMac. That actually makes me sad as we love that machine.
And yes, a PC can be had cheaper but I want a MAC!
And yes, a PC can be had cheaper but I want a MAC!
post #25 of 186
Quote:
But built-in bluetooth 2.0 and airport is about time - what about PowerMacs?

I'm actually surprised to see AirPort standard on a desktop, but I suspect it's a nod to the number of consumers who now have wireless networks at home. Power Macs are an entirely different story; many companies would not WANT AirPort standard. We have a strict policy against setting up wireless hot spots tied to the network. Having AirPort in every box would give the IT department fits. (Not that that's a bad thing...)
post #26 of 186
Quote:
I'm actually surprised to see AirPort standard on a desktop, but I suspect it's a nod to the number of consumers who now have wireless networks at home. Power Macs are an entirely different story; many companies would not WANT AirPort standard. We have a strict policy against setting up wireless hot spots tied to the network. Having AirPort in every box would give the IT department fits. (Not that that's a bad thing...)

yeah definitely with the PowerMacs airport extreme is only best for a smallish say 10+ studio

larger than that gigabit ethernet wired deployment is easier on the IT folks
post #27 of 186
A very solid update. The new graphics card is a great surprise, nice to see 128MB of Video Ram in there. 512MB standard, great stuff, plus up to 400GB in such a small machine, it's fantastic.
Abhor the Stereotype, respect the Individual.
1.33Ghz 15" Powerbook: 80GB HD, 1GB RAM, OSX.4.7, Soundsticks II, 320GB LaCie FW800 EXT HD, iPod 20GB 4G
Abhor the Stereotype, respect the Individual.
1.33Ghz 15" Powerbook: 80GB HD, 1GB RAM, OSX.4.7, Soundsticks II, 320GB LaCie FW800 EXT HD, iPod 20GB 4G
post #28 of 186
I am so jealous. My iMac 20" rocks but these are THE MACHINES!!

Can Apple upgrade my video card to the new 9600 they are specing for the new ones??
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #29 of 186
This is a good, value update. I just hope that Apple will turn Quartz Extreme 2D on soon so that the new 9600 card can use it.
post #30 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by aplnub
I am so jealous. My iMac 20" rocks but these are THE MACHINES!!

Can Apple upgrade my video card to the new 9600 they are specing for the new ones??

Don't forget to overclock that 9600
http://thomas.perrier.name/software/ATIccelerator.html
post #31 of 186
*Resounding applause*

I am just floored by this update! Looks like TS got it on the nose. I was sort of expecting this update, but still ... the standard Bluetooth 2.0 and APE make this thing even sweeter. I did my own price-out on the middle of the line model. Stuck 1GB in 1 DIMM and added wireless mouse and keyboard with AppleCare ... I too saw a $300 price cut in what I had been expecting to pay!!! I really just can't believe Apple ... wow ... good job marketing team ... good job ... and the $100 printer rebate! To hell with it ... I LOVE my iMac G4, but it's gotta go ... I have to have this beautiful, sexy machine.

Thank you Steve, thank you Apple ... you have completely restored my faith ... don't drop the ball ont his one though! I still wanna see a Mac crack 3GHz this by the fall!!! <Glares at screen hoping Steve feels a cold chill run up his spine and will kick IBM in the ass...>

MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, 750GB HDD
Mac mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB HDD
iPhone 5S, 32GB

MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, 750GB HDD
Mac mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB HDD
iPhone 5S, 32GB

post #32 of 186
WOW, these updates absolutely ROCKS!!! Bravo, Apple! This is the perfect switcher/adder/halo-effect machine. Excellent!

(However, I'm still happy with my Power Mac dual 2 GHz + 20" cinema display order - I'll benefit from the extra power and expansion for my work)
post #33 of 186
Quote:
This is a superb update BUT the graphics card still will not support an external monitor as well. But built-in bluetooth 2.0 and airport is about time - what about PowerMacs? And 512MB RAM is brilliant. This is a strong update even though the processor has only been bumped a small amount. Is there anything missing apart from dual monitor support (oh and HD-DVD!)?

Firewire 800
Quote:
Originally posted by AppleInsider
...a total of five USB ports (three USB 2.0) and two FireWire(R) 400 ports...

Since when is Firewire a USB technology? eh?
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
post #34 of 186
Nice update, might be the machine that finally gets me to get back into Macs.

The GPU is a little disappointing still, I was hoping for a 9800 Pro at least, but then I guess you go into Macs knowing they're not meant for games. And the 9600 should be fine for Photoshop and Maya.

This is certainly the best Apple for a good while. Nice job, Mr.Jobbs.
post #35 of 186
Quote:

Well they could build-to-order it without - surely most don;t buy off the shelf - consumers want it!

And as someone else said FireWire 800 is the only thing missing!
post #36 of 186
Terrific update. I'm juiced about the new graphics card...

Every CPU from Apple now shipping with Tiger as well...
Thinking Better & Faster with Tiger
iMac G5 1.6 ghz 512MB
Thinking Better & Faster with Tiger
iMac G5 1.6 ghz 512MB
post #37 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted
...a total of five USB ports (three USB 2.0) and two FireWire(R) 400 ports...

Since when is Firewire a USB technology? eh?

i think 5 USB ports, of which 3 are USB 2.0, and also two firewire ports.
post #38 of 186
This is an amazing update. I now hate my Powerbook.
*Powerbook G4 12" - 1.5 GHZ
*iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ (Mid 2007), *Apple 20-inch Cinema Display (Aluminium)
*iPhone 4S, Airport Extreme (2011) *MacBook Air 11-inch (Late 2010)
*Powerbook G4 12" - 1.5 GHZ
*iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ (Mid 2007), *Apple 20-inch Cinema Display (Aluminium)
*iPhone 4S, Airport Extreme (2011) *MacBook Air 11-inch (Late 2010)
post #39 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
yeah definitely with the PowerMacs airport extreme is only best for a smallish say 10+ studio

larger than that gigabit ethernet wired deployment is easier on the IT folks

If you are using a powermac for serious media work, you NEED gigabit ethernet, you dont want wifi no matter how small the studio 1,000Mbps is WAY better than 54Mbps.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #40 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by a_greer
If you are using a powermac for serious media work, you NEED gigabit ethernet, you dont want wifi no matter how small the studio 1,000Mbps is WAY better than 54Mbps.

yup good point mate.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple introduces second generation iMac G5 systems