or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple introduces second generation iMac G5 systems
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple introduces second generation iMac G5 systems - Page 2

post #41 of 186
So is the graphics a 9600 PRO or XT?

I've been waiting for this for what seems like ages. Been using my girlfriends iBook to play World of Warcraft and didn't want to buy a revision 1 G5 iMac with the Nvidia 5200.
post #42 of 186
Does anyone know what the response time of the 20" LCD is?
post #43 of 186
It's just a plain 9600, not pro or xt. I'm wondered if this supports core image as only the 9600 XT is mentioned on the apple site.
post #44 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by lanky_nathan
i think 5 USB ports, of which 3 are USB 2.0, and also two firewire ports.

Firewire is not a USB. USB and Firewire are different technologies like CDs and DVDs. The PR Newswire would be just as incorrect to say, "...a total of 5 CDs (3 CDs) and 2 DVDs...
Anyway, my point being a professional technology writer should know the difference.
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
Reply
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
Reply
post #45 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by ibook911
This is an amazing update. I now hate my Powerbook.

i was thinking for ages about a 12" PowerBook and a 20" iMac - it's looking more tempting now - although i have a 15" 1.67 GHz PowerBook with 128MB GPU and 1GB RAM!
post #46 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by ibook911
This is an amazing update. I now hate my Powerbook.

Eventually Apple needs to stop crippling a professional model like the 12" PowerBook; FireWire 800 and GigE would be a good start. More robust GPU and faster CPU would possibly get you into heat problems.

Quote:
Originally posted by kotatsu
Does anyone know what the response time of the 20" LCD is?

Personally I always thought the 20" iMac displays were lower spec'd (lower contrast, higher delay) then their 20" Cinema Displays. It may not be the case since it would be a waste of money to have multple panels of the same size.

All in all this is a great update. With the new iMac and eMac their lines are once again well segregated.

Hopefully they fixed the noise (whine) problem with this rev. Some said it was from the hard drive and was only heard when the systems fans were on low-speed. Not sure, but if its fixed these will be great AIOs.
/* styling for my posts */
.intelligence {display: none;}
Reply
/* styling for my posts */
.intelligence {display: none;}
Reply
post #47 of 186
here's an idea for some enterprising plasticsmith, or griffin or whomever...

make an acrylic carrying case, that gives a fold-up tray for the keyboard to be carried in (when the tray is up, it would protect the screen from damage - intergrate a small trackball in the tray, too, or trackpad), a flip-out stand in the back, and a handle on the top. sure, it'll be kinda like a white-plastic briefcase, but it'll be the closest to a 2GHz G5 "Powerbook" we may see for a while.
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
post #48 of 186
Damn, i was planning on getting a Mac mini and a 20in display, but these iMacs have everything I need and are so much better value, since all the add-ons I would be putting in a mini (RAM, bluetooth, wireless, bigger HD) are all in this iMac. So difficult to justify a 20in display and Mac mini now, since the ONLY advantage it has now is that it is sexier IMHO than the iMac. Oh the dilemmas.... \
post #49 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by AquaMac
Firewire is not a USB. USB and Firewire are different technologies like CDs and DVDs. The PR Newswire would be just as incorrect to say, "...a total of 5 CDs (3 CDs) and 2 DVDs...

That's not what it says. There are 5 USB ports, three of which are USB 2. The other two, then, are obviously USB 1.1.

There are also two FireWire ports.

There is no ambiguity in the sentence because FireWire is not USB.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
Reply
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
Reply
post #50 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by G_Warren
Damn, i was planning on getting a Mac mini and a 20in display, but these iMacs have everything I need and are so much better value, since all the add-ons I would be putting in a mini (RAM, bluetooth, wireless, bigger HD) are all in this iMac. So difficult to justify a 20in display and Mac mini now, since the ONLY advantage it has now is that it is sexier IMHO than the iMac. Oh the dilemmas.... \

well, the other advantage is that the display could migrate to a future computer upgrade down the road.
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
post #51 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by AquaMac
Firewire is not a USB. USB and Firewire are different technologies like CDs and DVDs. The PR Newswire would be just as incorrect to say, "...a total of 5 CDs (3 CDs) and 2 DVDs...
Anyway, my point being a professional technology writer should know the difference.

LOL. Thanks guy, I understand the difference between the USB family and the Firewire family. I just can't help myself from beating this poor horse one more time and saying your analogy is pretty weak - because there's a huge difference between USB and USB2 (unlike your CD/CD analogy), it's necessary to point out how many of each the iMac has. It's also important to make mention of the separate firewire ports. Yes seven ports altogether of three discrete types.

Great update to the iMacs. Let's not get hung up on how one may have misinterpreted the sentence structure of the release. :-)
post #52 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by a_greer
If you are using a powermac for serious media work, you NEED gigabit ethernet, you dont want wifi no matter how small the studio 1,000Mbps is WAY better than 54Mbps.

Yup! Bluetooth is only good for reeaalllyyyy slow keyboards, mice, etc.

WiFi isn't nearly as fast as the numbers indicate. There is so much re-transmittal of packets due to wireless's hiccups, that the 54Mbps is actually about half that.
post #53 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by kotatsu
Does anyone know what the response time of the 20" LCD is?

It does.

I responded to the wrong post. Tried to delete it but it wouldn't let me. Sorry.
post #54 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by byron_hinson
It's just a plain 9600, not pro or xt. I'm wondered if this supports core image as only the 9600 XT is mentioned on the apple site.

This is the right post.


It does.
post #55 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by Amorph
That's not what it says. There are 5 USB ports, three of which are USB 2. The other two, then, are obviously USB 1.1.
There are also two FireWire ports.
There is no ambiguity in the sentence because FireWire is not USB.

Ahh, thanks. I did not know the iMac G5 had two USB 1.1 ports too.
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
Reply
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
Reply
post #56 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by IonYz
Eventually Apple needs to stop crippling a professional model like the 12" PowerBook; FireWire 800 and GigE would be a good start. More robust GPU and faster CPU would possibly get you into heat problems.


One problem is that both 800 and Gigabit use more power than do their slower brethren.

Apple most likely feels that battery usage, which is already too great, is more important. At least for now.
post #57 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by rok
well, the other advantage is that the display could migrate to a future computer upgrade down the road.

That appealled to me as well - the mini essentially becomes disposable and can be upgrade every 12-18 months for very little outlay. It is kind of hard to justify a mini now, but hopefully the next update to the mini will be impressive too.
post #58 of 186
yeah, wireless is fine for downloads from broadband (unless you have some sick-fast connection to the outside world), but not good for large file transfer work. at that point, it's better to lay down the cat5, or resort to target-disk mode (though that's not easily down if you're talking two G5 towers)...
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
post #59 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by AquaMac
Ahh, thanks. I did not know the iMac G5 had two USB 1.1 ports too.

Unfortunatly Apple is playing with the USB specs again.

The COMPUTER doesn't come with 5 USB ports. It comes with 3 USB 2 Hi-Speed ports.

The keyboard comes with 2 USB 2 Full-Speed ports.

Which means that if you opt for the wireless keyboard, you lose the two Full-Speed ports, and are down to 3.

Apple really should add those two ports to the computer itself. In the PC Forums, whenever it comes to talking about the Macs and ports, it's always pointed out that even a $400 PC has at least 4 USB ports, very often five. on the COMPUTER.
post #60 of 186
Very nice update to the iMac! The new model now takes care of any gripes I had with the specs of the first model, namely RAM and GPU.

This should also make a lot of reviewers happy, since a number of previous reviews mentioned that it would be nice if Airport Extreme and Bluetooth were standard. Not much that they can really grip about now, the entry level 17" iMac is now a very, very solid consumer PC.
post #61 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by rok
here's an idea for some enterprising plasticsmith, or griffin or whomever...

make an acrylic carrying case, that gives a fold-up tray for the keyboard to be carried in (when the tray is up, it would protect the screen from damage - intergrate a small trackball in the tray, too, or trackpad), a flip-out stand in the back, and a handle on the top. sure, it'll be kinda like a white-plastic briefcase, but it'll be the closest to a 2GHz G5 "Powerbook" we may see for a while.

that is the best idea i have seen on appleinsider for a while, and someone actually suggesting a practical, reasonable, and enticing solution instead of just whining

apple's message definitely includes saying, we can't give you a g5 portable just yet, but hey, the iMac is easy to transport if you need to and is simple and sexy AND powerful.
post #62 of 186
I would have preferred an X600 and CPU options up to 2.3ghz, but overall this is a very good mid year update.
post #63 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
that is the best idea i have seen on appleinsider for a while, and someone actually suggesting a practical, reasonable, and enticing solution instead of just whining

apple's message definitely includes saying, we can't give you a g5 portable just yet, but hey, the iMac is easy to transport if you need to and is simple and sexy AND powerful.

i'm honestly surprised griffin hasn't tried something like this yet. everyone's all on the bandwagon for ipod cases, why not imac? plus, i would get some perverse joy of walkign around with the handle of said case handcuffed to my wrist.



p.s. griffin, while you're at it, throw in a retractable powercord, like they have on vacuum cleaners and such. then you just sit at your desk, prop the back, pull out the cord and plug in, lower the keyboard and boot up. the keyboard wouldn't even need to be corded to the imac, since it's got bluetooth (though you need to make the batteries easy to change out).
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
post #64 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by IonYz

Personally I always thought the 20" iMac displays were lower spec'd (lower contrast, higher delay) then their 20" Cinema Displays.

According to Anandtech's review there's only one panel supplier for the 20" wide-screen, so they're all the same. (Apple Cinema, iMac, and Dell 2005FPW)
====
"The Matrix is here, and it's vegan-friendly." (TM) 2004, Trinity Life Systems
Reply
====
"The Matrix is here, and it's vegan-friendly." (TM) 2004, Trinity Life Systems
Reply
post #65 of 186
Yes pity that. I would have also liked it to come with an SLI 6800 Ultra system in it. Oh and for it to be one inch thinner, and should come as standard with a case made of diamonds as well. Guess there's no pleasing some people.
Abhor the Stereotype, respect the Individual.
1.33Ghz 15" Powerbook: 80GB HD, 1GB RAM, OSX.4.7, Soundsticks II, 320GB LaCie FW800 EXT HD, iPod 20GB 4G
Reply
Abhor the Stereotype, respect the Individual.
1.33Ghz 15" Powerbook: 80GB HD, 1GB RAM, OSX.4.7, Soundsticks II, 320GB LaCie FW800 EXT HD, iPod 20GB 4G
Reply
post #66 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
Unfortunatly Apple is playing with the USB specs again.

The COMPUTER doesn't come with 5 USB ports. It comes with 3 USB 2 Hi-Speed ports.

The keyboard comes with 2 USB 2 Full-Speed ports.

Which means that if you opt for the wireless keyboard, you lose the two Full-Speed ports, and are down to 3.

Apple really should add those two ports to the computer itself. In the PC Forums, whenever it comes to talking about the Macs and ports, it's always pointed out that even a $400 PC has at least 4 USB ports, very often five. on the COMPUTER.

I'm honestly curious, have you ever seen a PC with 4+ USB ports, all of which were full? I work at MIT, and I've never seen it. Also, what prevents that rare USB-device-freak from using one of the USB 2.0 ports to plug in a 4, 8, 12 port USB 1.1 hub?
====
"The Matrix is here, and it's vegan-friendly." (TM) 2004, Trinity Life Systems
Reply
====
"The Matrix is here, and it's vegan-friendly." (TM) 2004, Trinity Life Systems
Reply
post #67 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
Unfortunatly Apple is playing with the USB specs again.

The COMPUTER doesn't come with 5 USB ports. It comes with 3 USB 2 Hi-Speed ports.

The keyboard comes with 2 USB 2 Full-Speed ports.

Which means that if you opt for the wireless keyboard, you lose the two Full-Speed ports, and are down to 3.

Apple really should add those two ports to the computer itself. In the PC Forums, whenever it comes to talking about the Macs and ports, it's always pointed out that even a $400 PC has at least 4 USB ports, very often five. on the COMPUTER.

Apple's been playing with their specs for years. You don't get 5 USB ports, you only get 4, and, in truth, just three.

Why? Well, they count the three on the computer, plus 2 on the keyboard. But you need to plug the keyboard into the computer (goodbye one computer port). Then you need to plug in one mouse (usually into the keyboard). So just to run the computer, you've already used 2 of the five, including one of the hi-speed ports for a low-speed device.

Gotta love apple! For some reason they limit internal expandability (in the iMac, PowerMac, whatever) to where you need external devices for everything, then they limit the number of ports to plug all these external devices into. Like, they think people just use their computer, a printer, and that's it?
post #68 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by concentricity
I'm honestly curious, have you ever seen a PC with 4+ USB ports, all of which were full? I work at MIT, and I've never seen it. Also, what prevents that rare USB-device-freak from using one of the USB 2.0 ports to plug in a 4, 8, 12 port USB 1.1 hub?


http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16883102612


4 USB ports, 2 FireWire.
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
Reply
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
Reply
post #69 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by BenRoethig
I would have preferred an X600 and CPU options up to 2.3ghz, but overall this is a very good mid year update.

what? i love this update! this is more than every realistic rumor! especially after the (in my opinion) bad update uf pm's (two models nearly didn't change....)!!

2.3 ghz would have gone too far!
post #70 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by concentricity
According to Anandtech's review there's only one panel supplier for the 20" wide-screen, so they're all the same. (Apple Cinema, iMac, and Dell 2005FPW)

That's good to know, thanks. I have a Dell 2005FPW for my Shuttle and it's a great screen.
post #71 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by concentricity
I'm honestly curious, have you ever seen a PC with 4+ USB ports, all of which were full? I work at MIT, and I've never seen it. Also, what prevents that rare USB-device-freak from using one of the USB 2.0 ports to plug in a 4, 8, 12 port USB 1.1 hub?

Yeah, I have. Printer, scanner, keyboard (they DO use a port), media card reader, Palm or Windows phone, mouse.

That's six. A game controller would be another, etc.

Remember that these ports are NOT made to be continually plugged into. They are rated for a couple of hundred of plug-ins at MOST. In my electronics supply catalogs, some USB port parts are rated for >>>50<<< insertions.

Many devices don't work through a hub, powered or not.

Apple is selling these machines on the simplicity of the desktop. In their ads, they even remove the wires.

A hub destroys the "look" Apple is trying to achieve. And that is the LEAST important part of it. >>>50<<< insertions. You might get lucky, but then you might not. I've seen these ports fail.

On my Powermacs, I have several Firewire cards, and several USB cards, on each machine, sometimes.
post #72 of 186
Do I use the same memory for the rev.B as I used for the first G5 iMac? Or do I need to buy new ones?
post #73 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
A hub destroys the "look" Apple is trying to achieve. And that is the LEAST important part of it. >>>50<<< insertions. You might get lucky, but then you might not. I've seen these ports fail.

Since Macs started having USB ports 7 years ago we haven't witnessed one failed port - and yes our users user media card readers.

I think it's insane to have them all plugged in at all times.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
post #74 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by AquaMac
Ahh, thanks. I did not know the iMac G5 had two USB 1.1 ports too.

on the keyboard
post #75 of 186
Quote:
originally posted by rok

p.s. griffin, while you're at it, throw in a retractable powercord, like they have on vacuum cleaners and such. then you just sit at your desk, prop the back, pull out the cord and plug in, lower the keyboard and boot up. the keyboard wouldn't even need to be corded to the imac, since it's got bluetooth (though you need to make the batteries easy to change out).

Well if they went to trouble of developing such a case, how about an adapter that at one end the imac plugs into. On the underside you plug in an ibook battery.
"Beware the Jabberwock , my son! The jaws that bite, the claw that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun the the frumious Bandersnatch!"

from Jabberwocky, excerpt from Alice through the looking...
Reply
"Beware the Jabberwock , my son! The jaws that bite, the claw that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun the the frumious Bandersnatch!"

from Jabberwocky, excerpt from Alice through the looking...
Reply
post #76 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
Yeah, I have. Printer, scanner, keyboard (they DO use a port), media card reader, Palm or Windows phone, mouse. That's six. A game controller would be another, etc.
Remember that these ports are NOT made to be continually plugged into. They are rated for a couple of hundred of plug-ins at MOST. In my electronics supply catalogs, some USB port parts are rated for >>>50<<< insertions.
Many devices don't work through a hub, powered or not.
You might get lucky, but then you might not. I've seen these ports fail.
On my Powermacs, I have several Firewire cards, and several USB cards, on each machine, sometimes.

I just replaced a IOGEAR PCI 5-port USB (model GIC250U) in my Blue and White. It was randomly ignoring USB devices. I replaced it with a Belkin 5-port (model F5U220) which works much better. The hubs I tried don't work well either.
Could the iMac G5 have an open PCI Slot in the future?
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
Reply
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
Reply
post #77 of 186
Quote:
Do I use the same memory for the rev.B as I used for the first G5 iMac? Or do I need to buy new ones?

According to Apple's website, if you're buying memory, make sure it is PC3200, which I believe was used in both rev A and rev B now.

Quote:
Note: DDR-SDRAM is closely correlated with your computer's processor. You should purchase PC3200 DDR-SDRAM for iMac. If you don't purchase memory directly from Apple, be sure to check with the third-party manufacturer to verify compatibility before purchase. Refer to your user's manual for a detailed description of the memory used in your computer.

With that said, is there a difference in companies if I decide to buy non-Apple branded RAM? Looking at places on dealram.com, I can get 2 GB of RAM for $180-$290 but from Apple it is $400+?
post #78 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by LiquidR
Well if they went to trouble of developing such a case, how about an adapter that at one end the imac plugs into. On the underside you plug in an ibook battery.

haha! i love it! it's like they could retrofit the imac INTO a laptop case... er, um, briefcase. heck, throw in two battery bays, and we'll kick it pismo-style like it was 1999!
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
post #79 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by JLL
Since Macs started having USB ports 7 years ago we haven't witnessed one failed port - and yes our users user media card readers.

I think it's insane to have them all plugged in at all times.

If they are continually being plugged in and out of then you're lucky, as I've said.

Most people, including myself, would prefer to leave everything plugged in, if possible, especially with these plugs in the rear.
post #80 of 186
This is a tempting update, the only things I would have liked to see on this would be firewire 800 (or two separate firewire 400 buses) and a 9600 XT.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
Reply
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple introduces second generation iMac G5 systems