or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple introduces second generation iMac G5 systems

Apple introduces second generation iMac G5 systems - Page 3

post #81 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by rok
here's an idea for some enterprising plasticsmith, or griffin or whomever...

make an acrylic carrying case, that gives a fold-up tray for the keyboard to be carried in (when the tray is up, it would protect the screen from damage - intergrate a small trackball in the tray, too, or trackpad), a flip-out stand in the back, and a handle on the top. sure, it'll be kinda like a white-plastic briefcase, but it'll be the closest to a 2GHz G5 "Powerbook" we may see for a while.

Perhaps this is not what you are looking for, but it is very handy for carrying a G5 iMac.
post #82 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by Res
This is a tempting update, the only things I would have liked to see on this would be firewire 800 (or two separate firewire 400 buses) and a 9600 XT.

Did you read something that said that they weren't seperate firewire busses?

To my knowledge, they are always two busses.
post #83 of 186
outstanding, the imac gets a 100x better update than the PM and expandability aside they pretty much have the same performance as a PM. Apple is on crack, they better release something at WWDC or the PM line is dead.
post #84 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
Did you read something that said that they weren't seperate firewire busses?

To my knowledge, they are always two busses.

Nothing in Apple System Profiler implies that it should be two busses.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #85 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by JLL
Nothing in Apple System Profiler implies that it should be two busses.

I just checked profiler on all four Powermacs here at home, and it doesn't indicate much either. But there two separate busses for Firewire.

My Firewire cards also have separate busses, but it doesn't indicate that either.

Profiler is not known for it's accuracy.
post #86 of 186
I want to buy the new iMac 20" 2GHz. Has anyone seen any interesting mods to avoid all that white plastic look?
post #87 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by eji
What about the voltage? Is it still only 120V for the US, universal auto-switching everywhere else?

from Apple's Tech Spec website: Line voltage: 100-240V AC
-- Candidas
(Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare)
-- Candidas
(Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare)
post #88 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by BJNY
I want to buy the new iMac 20" 2GHz. Has anyone seen any interesting mods to avoid all that white plastic look?

I'll make a hand beaten copper slipcover for it in my shop if you want.
post #89 of 186
I found www.colorwarepc.com
They charge $400. Add another $100 if you want a custom color other than their choices.
Any other mods available?
post #90 of 186
Because I was going to need a new Mac in July for some heavy duty PS, AE, and Motion work, I was happy with the PowerMac updates last week and was ready to order the dual 2.3 when I got back from Vegas today.

Well, this iMac update has really blurred the lines for the NEEDS of most.

The announcement of these new iMacs today, just 3 business days after refreshing the PowerMac line, and the "disappearance" of the PM tile from Apple's homepage in the same 3 days, makes me feel like they're planning an announcement next month.

I will be able to continue to do my scanning, color correcting, and pre-viz work on my older Macs for the next month until WWDC, with the hopes that Apple is ready to give the PM a more complete update.
post #91 of 186
wow, i'm blown away by this update. now i could go to an apple store and pick one up off the shelf. this has nothing that i NEED to BTO. very impressive. DL Superdrive, 512 MB ram, 2.0 ghz, 128 mb Radeon 9600, thats an awesome deal on the mid-range model. its sad cuz thats the same price as the G3 iMac i'm using now cost 5 years ago... and its a piece of crap for the most part... *tear*
Macbook Pro
2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo
160GB HD
2GB RAM
Macbook Pro
2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo
160GB HD
2GB RAM
post #92 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by Unfiltered
I will be able to continue to do my scanning, color correcting, and pre-viz work on my older Macs for the next month until WWDC, with the hopes that Apple is ready to give the PM a more complete update.

<off-topic>That would really PO a lot of people who are buying current models now, unless it's some kind of new super-pro line that's more expensive than current models.</off-topic>

I'm pretty impressed with the new iMacs. Wish I didn't already have a mini and a big display, and I'd buy one.
post #93 of 186
Decent update. The graphics and RAM are what they should have lauched the iMac G5 with. But the other stuff is bonus. Not much to BTO here.
post #94 of 186
wow, that middle configuration is an outstanding deal. all that extra stuuf that blows any other non-apple computer under 5,000 away and for the same cost. If only apple could have done this wwell the the powermacs.
post #95 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by nowayout11
Decent update. The graphics and RAM are what they should have lauched the iMac G5 with. But the other stuff is bonus. Not much to BTO here.

Looking at the Apple store, I was struck by how little there was to BTO. Quite a well rounded machine.
King Felix
King Felix
post #96 of 186
Awesome update. The most important thing I think is the 512 megs of RAM. FINALLY they get it. It looks like Tiger will want a LOT of RAM.

Only thing that really pissed me off is that they do NOT LET YOU GET A SUPERDRIVE on the 1.8. If they did I might have bought it today. Because of this I think I'll wait until the next update to trade in my PowerBook (with a SuperDrive in it) for an iMac G5 (lowest end but with SuperDrive DL.)

No FireWire 800 is kind of annoying, but it won't be really glaring omission unless they don't add it in the next update.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #97 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by iDave
<off-topic>That would really PO a lot of people who are buying current models now, unless it's some kind of new super-pro line that's more expensive than current models.</off-topic>

I'm pretty impressed with the new iMacs. Wish I didn't already have a mini and a big display, and I'd buy one.

I agree people would be a little PO'd.

This iMac update is the reason why we got PM updates first. How would Apple look if they announce Final Cut Studio at NAB, refresh the iMac line the next week, THEN announce the "new" PowerMacs?

Today's announcement is a nice update and will please a lot of folks.
post #98 of 186
Quote:
One problem is that both 800 and Gigabit use more power than do their slower brethren.

Apple most likely feels that battery usage, which is already too great, is more important. At least for now.

Suppose your right. I'd always thought, nine times out of ten, if your using FW800 and GigE you were at a desk and it is more likely you'd be using a power adapter.
/* styling for my posts */
.intelligence {display: none;}
/* styling for my posts */
.intelligence {display: none;}
post #99 of 186
hate your powerbook?

pm me and I`ll give you my adress so you can send it to me...

But seriously folks.. this is an awesome update,I cant think of an aw damn they should have,they did everything right with this one,they must have seen all the Imac bitching on here.
post #100 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquatic
Awesome update. The most important thing I think is the 512 megs of RAM. FINALLY they get it. It looks like Tiger will want a LOT of RAM.

Only thing that really pissed me off is that they do NOT LET YOU GET A SUPERDRIVE on the 1.8. If they did I might have bought it today. Because of this I think I'll wait until the next update to trade in my PowerBook (with a SuperDrive in it) for an iMac G5 (lowest end but with SuperDrive DL.)

No FireWire 800 is kind of annoying, but it won't be really glaring omission unless they don't add it in the next update.

Only complaint I have is when I rodered there was no other option for shipping but the free one. hence must go ground. I was willing to pay for 2 day.
post #101 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by concentricity
I'm honestly curious, have you ever seen a PC with 4+ USB ports, all of which were full? I work at MIT, and I've never seen it. Also, what prevents that rare USB-device-freak from using one of the USB 2.0 ports to plug in a 4, 8, 12 port USB 1.1 hub?

Just because you work at MIT and the so called "smartest" city, doesn't mean you have experience.

My PC has 8 USB ports and I use all of them. I am definitely not the only one either. There is a reason why they make hubs and more USB ports on the motherboard / logic board.

Just because you don't use it at MIT doesn't mean the whole entire world doesn't.

Here are just some possible devices one could have plugged in to their Mac or PC

1. Keyboard
2. Mouse
3. Scanner
4. Photo printer
5. B&W / non photo printer
6. Some sort of game pad
7. External HD
8. Keychain based storage device
9. Other multimedia equipment (like an mp3 player other then an ipod)
post #102 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by yvovandoorn
My PC has 8 USB ports and I use all of them.
[/B]

From what I've seen many times on PC's all those USB ports are running on the same bus, that's definitely the case on low cost Dell's. Plugging in all those periphreals you are really slowing everything down.
post #103 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by concentricity
I'm honestly curious, have you ever seen a PC with 4+ USB ports, all of which were full? I work at MIT, and I've never seen it. Also, what prevents that rare USB-device-freak from using one of the USB 2.0 ports to plug in a 4, 8, 12 port USB 1.1 hub?

I've actually got a PC with 4 USB ports. None of which are being used. I use the PC as an internet gateway, NAT router, proxy server, firewall for my home network of 3 iMacs and a PowerBook. It works really well for this job. I used to use in in my Internet Cafe with a network of six iMacs hanging off it.

I got the local PC shop to assemble it for me so it's not a brand name PC. I think the motherboard is made by Intel.

Berthos.
"The white zone is for loading and unloading only."
"The white zone is for loading and unloading only."
post #104 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by rok
here's an idea for some enterprising plasticsmith, or griffin or whomever...

make an acrylic carrying case, that gives a fold-up tray for the keyboard to be carried in (when the tray is up, it would protect the screen from damage - intergrate a small trackball in the tray, too, or trackpad), a flip-out stand in the back, and a handle on the top. sure, it'll be kinda like a white-plastic briefcase, but it'll be the closest to a 2GHz G5 "Powerbook" we may see for a while.

dude, so yeah, what if it had a nice retractable powercable built into the case...

AND what if the keyboard was built into the case to...

imagine..

rock up to a desk/ coffee shop with your iMac G5 ToGo. Open up the case, keyboard (bluetooth of course) folds out. rest of case protects iMac from stray objects and liquids without detracting from it's beauty. pull out the retractable cord, plug it in, voila.

f8cking sweet mate

edit: yeah the keyboard has a two-button trackpad as well
post #105 of 186
I got my 17" 1.8 GHz iMac back in November and now I feel like I've been ripped off. When I ordered my unit, I added the extra RAM to bring it up to 512 MB and I added the internal AP as well as BT. The total came to over $2000 as compared to today's price of about $1100. A lot of owners of Rev a iMacs are going to be mad about this. My machine lost 50% of its value in just 6 months.
TCAT
TCAT
post #106 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by chipz
I got my 17" 1.8 GHz iMac back in November and now I feel like I've been ripped off. When I ordered my unit, I added the extra RAM to bring it up to 512 MB and I added the internal AP as well as BT. The total came to over $2000 as compared to today's price of about $1100. A lot of owners of Rev a iMacs are going to be mad about this. My machine lost 50% of its value in just 6 months.

I take it you bought Apple RAM, and that you're quoting education pricing? Sorry to hear the sad tale, but upgrades are always going to come along and this one is a good one; something lots of people on the fence have been waiting for.
post #107 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by iDave

That would be the most ridiculous reason for NOT producing a real update to the PMac line if it were ready. Would people be PO'd? Yes. But we were already PO'd with last week's 'update', a lame-ass update after 11 months of nothing. So, what, we need to wait another 11 months just to get what should have been done by now (and, no, I'm not talking about stupid-ass 3GHz, I'm talking improvements on a grander scale - first and foremost would be PCIe, followed by improvements to the case/cooling to actually allow more than the 2 HDs, one optical internals, followed by other improvements). How PO'd would you be as both an Apple user and an Apple stockholder to know Apple was holding back obvious improvements to one of their more critical lines (it offers their biggest margins) just so they don't PO the six people who bought the current line?

Oh, and swapping out USB devices is a stupid idea, esp. since Apple keeps them all on the back of the iMac. But that's apple, let's not make it user-friendly, let's worry whether the aesthetics are ruined or not.
post #108 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by TenoBell
From what I've seen many times on PC's all those USB ports are running on the same bus, that's definitely the case on low cost Dell's. Plugging in all those periphreals you are really slowing everything down.

That's not the point. Beside most of those devices won't be used at the same time.

Also it would be two busses at worst.
post #109 of 186
Quote:

Yes, you must have used Apple RAM. That's only for people who are afraid to open their machines and want to know that it will work for sure and be guaranteed by Apple (or whichever manufacturer it is).

It's $1300, not $1100.

You have no right to be mad. This happens in the PC world all the time. Todays $2,000 machine is next years $1,000 machine. you were just unlucky to have waited until it's life was almost over.

Next time don't wait so long, and you will more time before that happens.
post #110 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by BJNY

Shag pile carpet makes for a very groovy looking iMac baby
Beware of Trojans, they're complete smegheads - Dave Lister.
Beware of Trojans, they're complete smegheads - Dave Lister.
post #111 of 186
Quote:

I feel your pain. I bought my Imac in March and I wept openly today after seeing this.
post #112 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by Louzer
That would be the most ridiculous reason for NOT producing a real update to the PMac line if it were ready. Would people be PO'd? Yes. But we were already PO'd with last week's 'update', a lame-ass update after 11 months of nothing. So, what, we need to wait another 11 months just to get what should have been done by now (and, no, I'm not talking about stupid-ass 3GHz, I'm talking improvements on a grander scale - first and foremost would be PCIe, followed by improvements to the case/cooling to actually allow more than the 2 HDs, one optical internals, followed by other improvements). How PO'd would you be as both an Apple user and an Apple stockholder to know Apple was holding back obvious improvements to one of their more critical lines (it offers their biggest margins) just so they don't PO the six people who bought the current line?

Oh, and swapping out USB devices is a stupid idea, esp. since Apple keeps them all on the back of the iMac. But that's apple, let's not make it user-friendly, let's worry whether the aesthetics are ruined or not.

The Powermacs do have a USB, a Firewire, and a headphone port on the front though.

I don't expect to see anything regarding them in June. August-September would be about right. That would give five months after this update, and five months before the January MacWorld.
post #113 of 186
Quote:

Apple just can't win. The boards are full of pwoplw complaining how little Apple is updating its products and then when it does some people complain that they feel ripped off. Jeez

Be happy with your Mac, if you can't be then you shuldn't be buying electronic equipment.
post #114 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by TenoBell

That may the case with a cheap dell but according to the device manager I have 5 host controllers.

Even then, unless I am using all devices at once (especially the intensive ones such as photo printer, scanner & external hard drive) it won't slow down the average user. And even if I were using all 8 devices concurrently, Windows would just crash.
post #115 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by Louzer
That would be the most ridiculous reason for NOT producing a real update to the PMac line if it were ready. Would people be PO'd? <snip>How PO'd would you be as both an Apple user and an Apple stockholder to know Apple was holding back obvious improvements to one of their more critical lines (it offers their biggest margins) just so they don't PO the six people who bought the current line?

<off-topic again>Um, I'm just saying Apple shouldn't upgrade the Power Macs at all, just to tease people into buying $2000+ machines, and then release another upgrade in six weeks. That would be very unfair. Remember the IIvx? In other words, release nothing new unless you intend to stick with it for awhile.

Personally, I don't buy Power Macs anymore. I think they're too expensive.</off-topic>
post #116 of 186
Quote:
I just checked profiler on all four Powermacs here at home, and it doesn't indicate much either. But there two separate busses for Firewire.

My Firewire cards also have separate busses, but it doesn't indicate that either.

Profiler is not known for it's accuracy.

Are you sure they are on separate busses? I've been searching Apples site and I can't find any place that tells one way or the other. If they are separate the new iMac will make a very nice recording station, but if they are sharing bandwidth it just won't do the trick (I need to run a firewire drive off one, and the the A/D converters off the other one).
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
post #117 of 186
Quote:
If they are continually being plugged in and out of then you're lucky, as I've said.

Most people, including myself, would prefer to leave everything plugged in, if possible, especially with these plugs in the rear.

Okay, guess I have to keep my USB flash drive plugged into my Mac at home and never take it anywhere. Thanks for letting me know, it's real useful.

After all, USB was designed to be hot-pluggable specifically so that people would be sure never to unplug anything from their computer.
Proud member of AppleInsider since before the World Wide Web existed.
Proud member of AppleInsider since before the World Wide Web existed.
post #118 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by CharlesS
Okay, guess I have to keep my USB flash drive plugged into my Mac at home and never take it anywhere. Thanks for letting me know, it's real useful.

After all, USB was designed to be hot-pluggable specifically so that people would be sure never to unplug anything from their computer.

I'm sorry friend, but these aren't my specs. Take it up with Intel. They designed it. If you have access to the parts catalogs you will see the same thing that I do.

What I advise people to do is to plug a short cable into the machine that has a female end. Then plug your USB drive into that. Don't insert in and out directly from the machine, but rather the cable instead.

Remember that when Intel invented USB almost 15 years ago, the idea of portable USB drives weren't even a gleam in their eye. A Meg of flash cost over $1,000 bucks.

At the time USB was intended for the same devices that the keyboard connector was intended for, as well as taking the place of slow SCSI devices (not drives). Keyboards, mice, game controllers, drawing tablets, slow printers, and cheap scanners. It wasn't intended for continual plug-in and plug-out.

Some of the uses changes, esp. with Hi-Speed. But the mechanical specs haven't changed as much. some of the first USB plugs and sockets were rated for <25> insertions.

An example is PCI. The slots, in many cases are only rated for <10> insertions. It seems like a lot, but some people replace boards more frequently than that.
post #119 of 186
Quote:
I'm sorry friend, but these aren't my specs. Take it up with Intel. They designed it. If you have access to the parts catalogs you will see the same thing that I do.

What I advise people to do is to plug a short cable into the machine that has a female end. Then plug your USB drive into that. Don't insert in and out directly from the machine, but rather the cable instead.

Remember that when Intel invented USB almost 15 years ago, the idea of portable USB drives weren't even a gleam in their eye.

Just to nit pick, Intego invented USB and Intel bought it from them.
JLL

JLL

post #120 of 186
Quote:
Originally posted by JLL
Just to nit pick, Intego invented USB and Intel bought it from them.

Intel bought the concept.

intel and MS developed it into a useful product.

Like Apple bought what was the precursor to FCP from Macromedia.

I think that it would be a stretch to say that Macromedia invented it. The original core. But most of that is gone.

The same thing would hold for DVD Studio Pro. It came from three programs that Apple bought from Astarte (I THINK I spelled it right). You wouldn't recognize them though from looking at Studio.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple introduces second generation iMac G5 systems