or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Photoshop X?

Photoshop X?

post #1 of 127
When will it be out?
post #2 of 127
According to several notable sources I have been talking to (Adobe Experts with connections) we will have a beta in Dec/Jan... but we'll see...

Untill then we don't know.

Mac Guru
"The young people of America need be taught that the only pride they may properly hold is in the content of their character, and the achievements they make. There is no legitimate pride or moral...
"The young people of America need be taught that the only pride they may properly hold is in the content of their character, and the achievements they make. There is no legitimate pride or moral...
post #3 of 127
Hopefully it will be fully optimized for X when it does come out. That is the only reason that I'll accept for it being this late.
post #4 of 127
If it's not optimized, I will throw stones towards Adobe's headquarters.
post #5 of 127
It'd better be soon.

But not only that... it bloody well better outperform the OS9 version.
AIM: Cipher1387
cipher13@mac.com
AIM: Cipher1387
cipher13@mac.com
post #6 of 127
Off topic.

I was told that After Effects 5.5 is now in either mid or late beta.

OS X native!
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
post #7 of 127
Remember when Photoshop 4.5 was 'carbonized' for use on Rhapsody 5 or 6 years ago?
post #8 of 127
Photoshop and DreamWeaver are what's keeping me from X full time.
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
post #9 of 127
Mac OS Rumors (keep in mind their lack of reliability at times) said January.
post #10 of 127
think about how this time next year we will be useing PS X, FCP X, etc!
post #11 of 127
Dreamweaver is for wussies. WYSIWYGI4W Learn HTML/JS/CSS/XHTML/XML/SSI/CGI/ASP/JSP/PHP/SQL. Bonus points to anybody who knows all of those acronyms!
art may imitate life, but life imitates tv.
post #12 of 127
[quote]Originally posted by bradbower:
<strong>Dreamweaver is for wussies. WYSIWYGI4W Learn HTML/JS/CSS/XHTML/XML/SSI/CGI/ASP/JSP/PHP/SQL. Bonus points to anybody who knows all of those acronyms!</strong><hr></blockquote>

WYSIWYGI4W - What you see is what you get is for wussies
HTML - Hyper text markup language
JS - javascript
CSS - cascading style sheets
XHTML - xtensible hyper text markup language
XML - xtensible markup language
SSI - server side include
CGI - don't know
ASP - don't know
JSP - don't know (guess, java servlet app)
PHP - don't know
SQL - don't know

Damn, when I first went to reply I thought I could get them all. I have heard (or seen) them all used except for ASP and JSP.

Ben
post #13 of 127
CGI - Common Gateway Interface
ASP - Active Server Page
JSP - Java Server Page
PHP - PHP: Hypertext Processor
SQL - Standard Query Language
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!

Original music:
post #14 of 127
goooh.

I coulda answered all of those.
and I can't write even half of em.

but you forgot AS!

ActionScript!

heh heh

and yes - Photoshop will be the final nail in the OS9 coffin.

Maybe.
post #15 of 127
*passes out big, warm, soft, gooey chocolate chip cookies to kupan and amorph* Can you guys think of any good ones I forgot?

Mmm...

cinder, when you first said AS I thought you were gonna say AppleScript, for which I would have lambasted you. ActionScript, is that the Flash scripting mechanism? Or do you mean like Photoshop Actions? (the latter would be germane but probably not what you were referring to )
post #16 of 127
[quote]Originally posted by Michaelm8000:
<strong>think about how this time next year we will be useing PS X, FCP X, etc! </strong><hr></blockquote>

But I don't think that we'll see Quark at that time

PS: We're all Juniors again - born again?
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #17 of 127
[quote]Originally posted by Fran441:
<strong>Remember when Photoshop 4.5 was 'carbonized' for use on Rhapsody 5 or 6 years ago? </strong><hr></blockquote>

5 or 6 years ago? No. And it was Photoshop 5.5
The crucial memorandum will be snared in the out-basket by
the paper clip of the overlying memo and go to file.
post #18 of 127
Will it be Photoshop 6.5 or 7?

I think it's taking a little while longer than the likes of InDesign/Illustrator because they want to be really special, like THE reason to upgrade to OSX etc. Also as there is no competition, Photoshop can afford to take it easy, whereas Freehand 10 for X was out ages ago and Adobe want InDesign in the bag before Xpress comes to OSX.

I'll be at the Expo in London in 2 weeks time and will be able to see first hand InDesign/Illustrator being demoed, I wondered if maybe they would have Photoshop X there as well.
post #19 of 127
PHP is PHP Hypertext Preprocessor, I believe, but I'm just nitpicking ;-)
"If I were a younger man, I would write a history of human stupidity; and I would climb to the top of Mount McCabe and lie down on my back with my history for a pillow; and I would take from the...
"If I were a younger man, I would write a history of human stupidity; and I would climb to the top of Mount McCabe and lie down on my back with my history for a pillow; and I would take from the...
post #20 of 127
[quote]Originally posted by gorgonzola:
<strong>PHP is PHP Hypertext Preprocessor, I believe, but I'm just nitpicking ;-)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hmm... I heard it was Personal Home Page, as that is why it was originally made.
post #21 of 127
[quote]Originally posted by Synotic:
<strong>When will it be out?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Current schedule is April 2002 for golden master. And yes, it will now be called Photoshop 7.0.
post #22 of 127
And it will probably hard it's on Aqua GUI elements and not use the Extras.rsrc just like Illustrator for some things.
post #23 of 127
gorgonzola wrote:

[quote]PHP is PHP Hypertext Preprocessor, I believe, but I'm just nitpicking ;-)<hr></blockquote>

That would make more sense, actually.

PERL, anyone?

Original music:

Original music:
post #24 of 127
[quote]Originally posted by cinder:
<strong>

and yes - Photoshop will be the final nail in the OS9 coffin. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, it will be Quark and SCSI support.
Hope Springs Eternal,
Mandricard
AppleOutsider
Hope Springs Eternal,
Mandricard
AppleOutsider
post #25 of 127
Yeah, where is Adobe??
post #26 of 127
I am sure Adobe was waiting on OS X working at a decent speed
post #27 of 127
You can make the switch now, running ps6 in classic is not such a big deal - its fairly fast. As stated before dreamweaver is for lamers - i call it DreamONweaver because of the pitiful and I Mean PITIFUL code it writes.

here is a made up example of dreamwever code
&lt;font color=#123456&gt;&lt;img src=something&gt;&lt;/font&gt;&lt;font size=2&gt;Here&lt;/font&gt;&lt;font size=2&gt;is&lt;/font&gt;&lt;font...&gt;my&lt;/font&gt;&lt;font&gt;sucky&lt;/font&gt;&lt;font&gt;dreamweaver&lt;/font&gt;&lt;font&gt;web page&lt;/font&gt;

post #28 of 127
[quote]Originally posted by mania:
<strong>You can make the switch now, running ps6 in classic is not such a big deal - its fairly fast. As stated before dreamweaver is for lamers - i call it DreamONweaver because of the pitiful and I Mean PITIFUL code it writes.

here is a made up example of dreamwever code
&lt;font color=#123456&gt;&lt;img src=something&gt;&lt;/font&gt;&lt;font size=2&gt;Here&lt;/font&gt;&lt;font size=2&gt;is&lt;/font&gt;&lt;font...&gt;my&lt;/font&gt;&lt;font&gt;sucky&lt;/font&gt;&lt;font&gt;dreamweaver&lt;/font&gt;&lt;font&gt;web page&lt;/font&gt;

</strong><hr></blockquote>

That looks like it's been created with Microsoft Word. If it happens in dreamweaver, just it the auto-clean code button and all that's gone.
post #29 of 127
[quote]Originally posted by mania:
<strong>You can make the switch now, running ps6 in classic is not such a big deal - its fairly fast. </strong><hr></blockquote>

1) Try to allocate more than 436800KB of RAM
---&gt; Crash immediately

2) Opening and saving file usually 3x slower

3) Option click outside of the working window will crash the ENTIRE Classic environment

4) Pen tools and creating selection are very jerky

5) Sometime saving file can cause serious data corruption with that file

6) Brush at the size of 100 pixel or bigger usually is slow like hell

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
post #30 of 127
les not mention what happens when in Photoshop in Classic and someone say messages you on ICQ and you get that icon bouncing going on
post #31 of 127
[quote] If it's not optimized, I will throw stones towards Adobe's headquarters.
<hr></blockquote>
Im going over to do that right now wana join me?
post #32 of 127
[quote]Originally posted by Leonis:
<strong>

---&gt; Crash immediately </strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't have that much RAM, so that's not a problem for me.

[quote]2) Opening and saving file usually 3x slower <hr></blockquote>

Yes, it's slower, but not too much on my iBook.

[quote]3) Option click outside of the working window will crash the ENTIRE Classic environment<hr></blockquote>

Doesn't do that for me, I just tried.

[quote]4) Pen tools and creating selection are very jerky<hr></blockquote>

Works exactly the same as in 9 for me.

[quote]5) Sometime saving file can cause serious data corruption with that file<hr></blockquote>

I haven't seen that and I've been using Photoshop in Classic since March.

[quote]<strong>6) Brush at the size of 100 pixel or bigger usually is slow like hell</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, but it's like that in OS 9 for me too, so I don't notice any difference.

[quote]Originally posted by thentro:
<strong>
Im going over to do that right now wana join me? </strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, I was going to wait until it was released first. You go ahead, I'll catch up later.

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: MacAgent ]</p>
post #33 of 127
[quote]Originally posted by Fran441:
<strong>Remember when Photoshop 4.5 was 'carbonized' for use on Rhapsody 5 or 6 years ago? </strong><hr></blockquote> :confused:

Would that work in OS X.1?? May be a stupid question but will it?

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/mikesicons/Menu3.html" target="_blank"></a>
post #34 of 127
There was never such a thing.
post #35 of 127
[quote]Originally posted by Leonis:
[QB]

---&gt; Crash immediately <hr></blockquote>

Holy crap, so that was my problem. Thank you!! I should have asked somebody earlier...
"Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives."
- Tyler Durden
- Tyler Durden
post #36 of 127
Fran411

In regards to it being carbonized already a few years ago, I used to use that arguement too (when the demo was shown)

But lately I heard that that build was just the very basics. It wasnt actually ported fully. You could only select a few tools (shown in demo) and thats it. 90% of the functionality was not there yet. So basically, they started (maybe) 2-3 years ago and have yet to finsih.

Imagine the demo Jobs gave of 10.1 a few months ago. For example whe showing the menu bar 'docklings' (volume, battery status etc), the battery status indicator was just hard coded to 77% (or whatever it was). It didnt actually work.

anyway I hope they put the same level of attention as the MacBU at MS did when making Office v.X. That really is a VERY nice piece of work. Illustrator 10 also seems to be very good
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
post #37 of 127
How are you so sure it will be PS 7? Im not so sure. Think about it, Adobe is most definatly a cross platform company. They are not going to release a new version of Photoshop just for users of OSX. The program must be compelling for both Mac and PC users. Illustrator 10 added support for OSX, but that was a bonus for Mac users - not the reason they upgraded the product. Adobe will not release a whole version number for simple upgrades, as was demonstrated by the 5.0 - 5.5 upgrade. Not a major upgrade, but had a few new features. I can see 6.5 with a few new features along with OSX support, not 7. PS 6 had a slew of new features, it will be difficult for them to improve on such a great product so soon.
post #38 of 127
Most likely, we will have the product in late January, and based on what I know it will be version 6.5 Basically, there will be improvements to the features that arrived with version 6 (tweaks to the Brush palette, improved vector capabilities, streamlined layer effects, etc), more so than a lot of brand new features.

Also, the fact that Illustrator 10 has just been released for OS X is a very good sign. Usually it's about a year between releases and this is when Illustrator 9 came out last year. Basically, we can assume Adobe now has the tools they need (in terms of a more mature API and OS) to get their OS X products out the door.

Photoshop 6 came out last December, so a January or February release makes sense, given the app is being written for a new OS.

The only product that at this time, that seems long overdue, is InDesign 2. That application has been in the works much longer than the others if memory serves correctly. Something on the order of 18 months now. It's available for pre-order, but who knows what that means in terms of a final release date.

Anyone know the precedent for that - how many months after a "pre-release" the actual product usually arrives? I never keep track of these things as I don't pay much attention to pre-release hype.

[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: Moogs ]</p>
Aldo is watching....
Aldo is watching....
post #39 of 127
[quote]Anyone know the precedent for that - how many months after a "pre-release" the actual product usually arrives? I never keep track of these things as I don't pay much attention to pre-release hype.<hr></blockquote>I don't know what their usual lead time is, but it seemed like Illustrator 10 went from pre-order to shipping in just a couple of weeks.

[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: nebosuke ]</p>
- Tyler Durden
- Tyler Durden
post #40 of 127
[quote]Originally posted by 4fx:
<strong>How are you so sure it will be PS 7? Im not so sure. </strong><hr></blockquote>

They have added enough new features (which has pushed back the release date to April 2002) to justify calling it 7.0 (of course, that also lets them charge more for the upgrade).

By that time it will be almost 18 months since the release of 6.0, which is just about right for Photoshop's whole point release schedule.

Fru
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Photoshop X?