or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Xbox 360: Revealed

Xbox 360: Revealed - Page 3

post #81 of 93
Quote:
Originally posted by Amorph
Not without testing the impact on game play.

Besides, who buys a wide screen in order to see less of the game? I can imagine the uproar when someone releases "widescreen support" that reduces the effective field of view...

I'd welcome such support in many games.
When I play I want to have a cinematic, fun experience, not measure my FOV.
post #82 of 93
Quote:
Originally posted by groverat
The Ill Effects of Zoom'n'Crop on Gaming - A One Act Play

That's the unfortunate reality for competetive gaming. If you don't stretch the screen and you allow different aspect ratios, someone always has the short end of the stick. Actually, you could give 4:3 players a slightly taller FOV, and 16:10 players slightly wider one, so no single setup was clearly better than others.

Another related thing I have been thinking of is level of detail. It's common that competetive players strip all detail off games, not just because it gives them even more framerate, but lets them better pick out the objects that are important for success in the game. For instance, how can you write a competetive game which hinges on the players' ability to hide from other players in the midst of vegetation, when everyone who wants to win, is just going to crank the LOD settings to minimum? Is there any good way to "reverse" the level of detail question so that on worse equipment you would see others worse, but could still adjust settings to play with passable framerates?
post #83 of 93
Most of what you might want to know and official. Interestingly the final product is water cooled too.
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
post #84 of 93
Quote:
Originally posted by Amorph
Besides, who buys a wide screen in order to see less of the game? I can imagine the uproar when someone releases "widescreen support" that reduces the effective field of view...

Right, but see HD gaming is like that now. You have to rely on message boards, web sites and multiple other sources just to know if a game is 720p, 1080i, 16:9, because some games are HD resolution but aren't 16:9. Most the time what is on the back of a box, is not what it contains. I rarely see progressive scan support on GameCube games but many support it.

its a world of frustration and disinformation, and it sucks. I don't feel like a second-class citizen as a Mac owner, but I do as an HD gamer.
/* styling for my posts */
.intelligence {display: none;}
post #85 of 93
not sure if anyone commented on this, but the whole xbox 360 lookin' like an iPod is yet another thing microsoft has copied from Apple. Macnn.com has a short note about it.
post #86 of 93
Quote:
Originally posted by IonYz
because some games are HD resolution but aren't 16:9.

????

Anyway, hdgames.net seems to work pretty well to find out whether a certain graphics or sound support is in a console game.

If you are a second class citizen, then what am I here in the PAL ghetto? If they choose to release a PAL version (for Katamari Damacy for instance they didn't), we wait at least half a year longer for each game, and when it comes out, they have actually stripped off HD support that was in the NTSC version. And this occurs for every single game. To date, I don't think a single PAL PS2 game has progressive picture or HD support. WTF?

I understand the standard differences cause additional difficulty and expense to the game companies, but this is ridiculous. I can't think of any reason they would take completed features out of the game except to screw with their customers. There's nothing left for the enthusiast to do but to mod their console and either get warez or buy games from US/Japan.
post #87 of 93
I'll stick to games on my mac.
Quote:
Originally posted by cubs23
not sure if anyone commented on this, but the whole xbox 360 lookin' like an iPod is yet another thing microsoft has copied from Apple. Macnn.com has a short note about it.

Got a link?
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
post #88 of 93
I'm not sure where the iPod comparisons really come from. It doesn't follow the iPod aesthetic at all.
We're investigating reports of indecent acts being committed at the YMCA.
We're investigating reports of indecent acts being committed at the YMCA.
post #89 of 93
Well I haven't seen Sony or Nintendo's offering yet but so far I'm going to say I like the Xbox 360 a lot. I admit I can see where Microsoft will abuse areas of tie in but I think Sony will probably do similar.
post #90 of 93
Quote:
Originally posted by AquaMac
I'll stick to games on my mac. Got a link?

Like cubs23 said, Macnn.com.
Can't miss it.
post #91 of 93
Quote:
Originally posted by Gon
????

Anyway, hdgames.net seems to work pretty well to find out whether a certain graphics or sound support is in a console game.

If you are a second class citizen, then what am I here in the PAL ghetto?

???? According to HDGames.net there are a few games released that support high resolution but are not 16:9. Strange since HD MUST BE WIDESCREEN.

Ouch, your correct. There is no one around that gets shafted on a regular basis as consistently as the PAL gamers. I read about how developers (publishers?) are striping HD support for games, WTF is an understatement. I've heard that while 16:9 televisions are wide-spread in the EU actual HD penetration is lower then the US, not sure if they are using that as an excuse but I still don't understand it. HD support it already there! Why cut a feature that already exists when it costs you no additional money?

I've become a fan of HDgames.net (consistant network problems?) and HDTV Arcade and have contributed to at least one title on HDG on confirmation of specs. Even many people their don't which games are widescreen and at what resolutions. And they shouldn't have to.

Amorph is right with gameplay and testing. That is why all games should be design for HD. Hollywood, for decades, has worked with high quality widescreen video but managed to release it for 4:3 televisions. Many directors shoot with 4:3 boundaries in mind, same as video game developers should.

The game industry makes more revenue then the movie industry and they need to begin showing it.
post #92 of 93
Quote:
Originally posted by Cake
Like cubs23 said, Macnn.com.
Can't miss it.

come to the dark side my friends

what this means is that it is not too long that there will be an xbox360 transmulator (not emulator, because basic instructions set are more similar at lower-levels )

let's all play xbox360 games on our g5 Macs
post #93 of 93
it looks interesting.. but before i go buying a new product, i think ill let everyone else buy it before i give any thoughts of doing the same... i have a buddy who thinks this is bosa nova.. it looks interesting and such.. so we'll see what happen
Lone Wolf
Lone Wolf
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Xbox 360: Revealed