or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iTunes 4.8 adds video support, Yorkdale store photos, more

iTunes 4.8 adds video support, Yorkdale store photos, more - Page 3

post #81 of 125
Quote:

Edit: Has anyone got QT Pro - does the iTunes give you full-screen controls? [/B]

sorry no
___
John
___
John
post #82 of 125
If you click on the small frame where the album art shows and where the video is now playing it opens a player window which will scale to the screen size. This frame includes controls in a small bar. Probably not quite what you had in mind but still useful.
post #83 of 125
Software Update is not working right in Tiger, it doesn't show a new iTunes update...
post #84 of 125
Quote:
Originally posted by Rojo
Software Update is not working right in Tiger, it doesn't show a new iTunes update...

Sometimes a new update doesn't show up in Software Update right away. Try again tomorrow.
post #85 of 125
Quote:
Originally posted by david_oc
Hi,

I don't know if I'm able to upload images (someone let me know how please) but when I plugged in my iPod after adding a few videos to my iTunes library I got this message:

"
This" iPod? Is a video clip (at least) playing iPod on the cards?

BTW, I know the message says "songs" but the "song" was a video file.

Old error message. You used to be able to add music as .mp4 and it'd give you the same message if you tried to copy it to an iPod. Also streamed songs get the same thing.
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
post #86 of 125
it all makes sense now. video singles just showed up at the iTunes music store...

The Shins:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...istId=62427539

Dave Matthews Band:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...istId=61877320

DMB also has something called "digital booklet" - not quite sure what that is, and im not interested enough in the album to spend $12 to find out. Sounds cool though. Probably an album artwork-booklet replacement...
post #87 of 125
i did buy the shins video single. its about 45 MB for the video file, downloads in about 2-3 minutes, and is quite good quality. interestingly though, the video file is unprotected - i deauthorized my itunes, and it still played.

while at it, i created a smart playlist for videos: Where "Kind" Contains "Quicktime" works superbly.
post #88 of 125
Quote:

When last at the office today, my Panther machine didn't see it either.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #89 of 125
software update usually takes awhile to list updates - at least i always see news about the release of xyz update before it actually shows up...
post #90 of 125
I'm the developer of iFlicks (http://www.helixent.com/iflicks/), an application designed to organize and playback movie files. Obviously, this new, undocumented feature of iTunes is intriguing to me.

I've taken this time to set up an iFlicks blog (http://www.helixent.com/iflicks/weblog/), where I will attempt to keep people informed of the latest iFlicks related news and information.
post #91 of 125
well, considering that you can now buy videos in the itunes music store its no longer really undocumented... after all, they did mention "new music store features"...and i guess this is what they where referring to - Video Singles and Digital Booklets...
post #92 of 125
If only iTunes added a protected pr0n mode...
post #93 of 125
Quote:
Originally posted by budhusa
well, considering that you can now buy videos in the itunes music store its no longer really undocumented... after all, they did mention "new music store features"...and i guess this is what they where referring to - Video Singles and Digital Booklets...

They have done digital booklets before, the U2 album had one. Although I buy CDs so don't know what it was like.
Daniel Tull
Daniel Tull
post #94 of 125
Quote:
Originally posted by Gon
On a Mac, why would you want the setting in iTunes when iSync can deal with it automatically in the background? Everything related to syncing should be in the logical place - iSync - and that's it, IMO.

On Windows it's totally understandable the setting is in iTunes so they don't have to put in a separate program just to get Outlook entries onto iPod.

But it doesn't auto-sync when I plug my iPod in does it? Or am I missing something? EDIT - Sorry, released my error.
post #95 of 125
Quote:
Originally posted by MacCrazy
Well I can't even get movies to play in iTunes!

Edit: some videos work but no full-screen controls. Also you can't buy any videos on the iTMS so what's the point.

forshadowing
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #96 of 125
bummer: quicktime movies only... anyone have any idea how I can convert my .mpg and .avi files to .mov?

edit: additional bummer. Have to buy albums to get the video and no video previews are available. Maybe in subsequent revisions?

edit II: third bummer. Soundoutput from videos does not get ported through airtunes. Only hear it through my laptop's lousy speakers.
post #97 of 125
It seems very clear to me why they are adding video support. The greenback! I am sure in their negotiations with the record labels, Apple said "what if we could show video teasers in our music store?"

Come on everybody! Marketing! We all know from the invention of MTV (at least those of us born before 1970) that a video can make even the worst band seem good. N'Sync anyone. Do you think a band like that is as popular on musical ability alone? Nope.

They need video support to sell mediocrity.

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

post #98 of 125
i'll just kick in my two cents here: what does this new "feature" mean? not much for the present day. i mean, heck, the cnbc video is labeled as "play song," so you know they've got some kinks to work out.

but itunes IS apple's trojan horse. NOT the iPod. it is now on a LOT of PC's out there, and being free and getting lots of buzz, it's getting more and more market penetration each day. so they are laying groundwork for whatever they can to entice people to come back and buy the hardware, where the money is. whether that's just an ipod, or a full-fledged mac system. is there a video ipod around the corner? i'm thinking no. not unless someone has a miracle for extending ipod battery life for video playback longer than a few minutes. BUT i do think the mac mini can be one heck of an on-demand video/audio living-room computer. and THAT'S what they are laying the groundwork for.

i mean, heck, you know itunes 5.0, whenever it happens, will be huge.
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #99 of 125
Quote:
Originally posted by rok
i'll just kick in my two cents here: what does this new "feature" mean? not much for the present day. i mean, heck, the cnbc video is labeled as "play song," so you know they've got some kinks to work out.

but itunes IS apple's trojan horse. NOT the iPod. it is now on a LOT of PC's out there, and being free and getting lots of buzz, it's getting more and more market penetration each day. so they are laying groundwork for whatever they can to entice people to come back and buy the hardware, where the money is. whether that's just an ipod, or a full-fledged mac system. is there a video ipod around the corner? i'm thinking no. not unless someone has a miracle for extending ipod battery life for video playback longer than a few minutes. BUT i do think the mac mini can be one heck of an on-demand video/audio living-room computer. and THAT'S what they are laying the groundwork for.

i mean, heck, you know itunes 5.0, whenever it happens, will be huge.

it doesn't have anything new - it's just quicktime functionality (well it does catalogue it).
post #100 of 125
http://slashdot.org/~As%20Seen%20On%20TV

Anyone else been following As Seen On TV's posts?
post #101 of 125
ok,

im excited about the video support, but if apple is thinking ipod video only for music videos, then they might as well wait. im personally not gonna spend $2 on a music video/song bundle and spend $500 on a video ipod.

ideal situation: $500 80GB ipod video in october, iFlicks movie store selling full length high quality movies for $5-$10
post #102 of 125
can someone give us a rundown on

thievery corp/ morcheeba video specs? resolution, codec, quality ??

thanks peoples
post #103 of 125
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
can someone give us a rundown on

thievery corp/ morcheeba video specs? resolution, codec, quality ??

thanks peoples

according to MacRumors they are not very high.

Quote:
The Antidote by Morcheeba ($9.90 for 10 songs, 1 video)
Warning Shots by Thievery Corporation ($1.98 for 1 song and 1 video which is 27MB, 480x360).
Stand Up by Dave Matthews Band ($11.99 for 14 songs, 1 video, 1 PDF)
Pink Bullets by The Shins ($1.98 for 1 song, 1 video)
post #104 of 125
Quote:
Originally posted by rok
but itunes IS apple's trojan horse. NOT the iPod. it is now on a LOT of PC's out there, and being free and getting lots of buzz, it's getting more and more market penetration each day. so they are laying groundwork for whatever they can to entice people to come back and buy the hardware, where the money is.

How about fullscreen Apple infomercials showing tiger, mac mini, iMacs, being present prominently in the iTunes store right in the face of all the iPod using windows users?

How is that for saving an incredible amount of advertising money instead of having TV-ads. I say go trojan with that halo-thing :-)
post #105 of 125
Quote:
Originally posted by dutch pear
How about fullscreen Apple infomercials showing tiger, mac mini, iMacs, being present prominently in the iTunes store right in the face of all the iPod using windows users?

How is that for saving an incredible amount of advertising money instead of having TV-ads. I say go trojan with that halo-thing :-)

f8cking awesome idea...!
post #106 of 125
Quote:
f8cking awesome idea...!

But do non-Apple geeks look at the Apple website? Apple need to reach out to as many people as possible.
post #107 of 125
Quote:
But do non-Apple geeks look at the Apple website? Apple need to reach out to as many people as possible.

dutch pear dude was talking about that trojan horse, iTUNES, sitting on lots of pee cees now

so PC users would now have free downloadable cool dancing stuff or whatever funky ads for downloading (free!) through the new iTunes 4.8 Music/Video Store sitting right there, maybe on the home page of the iTunes music store

edit: definitely NOT just the dancing ads, but Tiger and Mac Mini and iMac g5 for chrissakes...
post #108 of 125
Quote:

I agree, both my computers still have not shown the update for 4.8. What is more curious is that I booted up using my old 10.3.9 Panther image and it announced the 4.8 update immediately!

My Tiger installs are not catching the iTunes update.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #109 of 125
Quote:
Originally posted by aplnub
I agree, both my computers still have not shown the update for 4.8. What is more curious is that I booted up using my old 10.3.9 Panther image and it announced the 4.8 update immediately!

My Tiger installs are not catching the iTunes update.

Nor did mine - it didn't find the DVD PLayer 4.6 either but it did find the Pro tools and that other download. If they release a new update and it's not recognised by Software Update there will be problems!
post #110 of 125
Quote:
Nor did mine - it didn't find the DVD PLayer 4.6 either but it did find the Pro tools and that other download. If they release a new update and it's not recognised by Software Update there will be problems!

DVD Player 4.6??????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????????

WTH? Neither of my computers have caught that update! I got the Pro Tools update and some codec update today.

How big of a problem is the software update in Tiger???
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #111 of 125
Quote:
Originally posted by aplnub
How big of a problem is the software update in Tiger???

Don't worry! They're bound to fix the software update problem in the next software update!

hehehe ;-)
post #112 of 125
Quote:
Originally posted by GregAlexander
Don't worry! They're bound to fix the software update problem in the next software update!

hehehe ;-)

tiger 10.4.1 should iron out this and several other glitches, hopefully.
post #113 of 125
Quote:
tiger 10.4.1 should iron out this and several other glitches, hopefully.

Yeah, hopefully.
post #114 of 125
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
Yeah, hopefully.

If it turns up.
post #115 of 125
Quote:
If it turns up.

Yeah, if only we had an automated program to tell us when the fix to the automated program for telling us when fixes are available available!.
post #116 of 125
10.3.9 here is equally inept at finding the updates.
post #117 of 125
There's another reason why certain updates don't show up.

Sometimes an update in one area requires that another update be applied first. If that first update hasn't been applied, the newer update, even if it seems to have nothing to do with the previous one, won't show up.

Most of the time this isn't true. But it has hapened often enough over the years.
post #118 of 125
Anyone know how often iTunes asked you to install the update? I was so excited to just get started playing last night when I was settting up my new Power Mac that I told iTunes to remind me of the update to 4.8 later. I have rebooted a couple of times and shutdown the system last night before going to bed. It still hasn't asked me to update again.
post #119 of 125
Quote:
Originally posted by kwsanders
Anyone know how often iTunes asked you to install the update? I was so excited to just get started playing last night when I was settting up my new Power Mac that I told iTunes to remind me of the update to 4.8 later. I have rebooted a couple of times and shutdown the system last night before going to bed. It still hasn't asked me to update again.

Just go the Apple menu and click software update. If you want to know how often open system preferences and click software update.
post #120 of 125
Thanks. Unfortunately, the iTunes update is not in System Update yet. iTunes is what told me that there was a new update and asked if I wanted to update the first time that I opened it.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iTunes 4.8 adds video support, Yorkdale store photos, more